The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-30-2012, 03:41 PM   #1
jhaymon

Re: It’s Just A Pickup

i have old exhaust gas analyzer thats been broken for 15 years so if you get the o2 sensor worked out let us know. ive been having issues with my program. i had a good program till they started with ethanol blends down here.
jhaymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:55 PM   #2
Low Elco

Hey, Bruce, whose door fuzziesand seals did you use and are you happy with them? Been burned before and want to get the right thing the first time. Beautiful truck, hope you're enjoying it.
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:17 AM   #3
Bruce88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Hey, Bruce, whose door fuzziesand seals did you use and are you happy with them? Been burned before and want to get the right thing the first time. Beautiful truck, hope you're enjoying it.
Door seals always seem to be a problem for older cars and truck. Some people seem to have some good luck with the clip on style but I don’t like the way they fit around the upper front corner area, all the clip on ones that I’ve seen appear to be a universal fit style. I stay away from a universal weather stripping and prefer going with glue on with fitted corners, similar to the factory seals. One place you can find some is from Wes at Classic Heartbeat Pickup Parts http://classicheartbeat.com/ , Wes knows the rubber products for are trucks and is a good resource.

Here are some tips that might help you install your seals. Getting the glue to stick the seal to the painted flange. With fresh paint a light sanding of the glue area with 120 grit sand paper will help. Cleaning both surfaces, the flange and the inside channel on the new seal (sometimes the new seal might have a light powder substance on it) I’ve used alcohol for cleaning and I’ve also used M.E.K. (Methyl Ethyl Ketone). With M.E.K. you have to be careful if you use too much it will strip the paint. When you think that you have both surfaces clean enough do one final cleaning just to make sure (smile). Any of the Weather strip Adhesive’s should work fine, what I’ve been using is Permatex (Black Super Weathstrip Adhesive) the black color doesn’t show up as the yellow color adhesive’s with the slight amount that might squeeze out from under the seal. One tool that has been helpful was some 7/8 plastic spring clamps from Harbor Freight Tools, I start in the forward upper corner and work at installing the seal one to two foot at a time using the clamps to hold the seal in place letting the adhesive time to set up. Don’t try to glue the ends of the seal together at the bottom aft area of the door, in fact a slight angle cut at the end of the seals helps in allowing the air to exit the bulb seal and any water to drain that might find its way inside the seal. Once all the seal is installed and looks good close the door and let it set up for a day. The first time closing the door might be hard to close, don’t be tempted to open and close the door a number of times, let everything dry and allow the seal to take on its shape to fit. On my doors they were somewhat hard to close for about a month but have become easer as time went on. One thing that might help in making the door close easer after everything is dry and all the painting is done (very important all painting inside and outside needs to be done) is a light coating of silicone lube on the seal especially on the forward area will help in letting the seal slide and fit to the door. The reason that all the painting needs to be done is that the smallest amount of silicone on any surface will prevent any paint from sticking and it’s not worth taking the chance.

Hope this helps you get an outstanding seal installation
Enjoy your build
Bruce
Old 08-02-2012, 08:11 AM   #4
Low Elco

Thanks for the tips!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-10-2012, 10:37 PM   #5
gdavis

looks good keep trucking and send more pic. i f you can how about telling me how to upload pic. I am having a hard time.
gdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:57 AM   #6
Russ.W.

This thread is fantastic.

I've seen entire forums with less useful content than this. Awesome effort mate - both with your truck and build thread.
Russ.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:23 PM   #7
Jdhitch

Thanks for the driver/passenger door mirror placement schematic. Just drilled some holes and mounted them today. By the way your truck is awesome!
Jdhitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:16 PM   #8
Flu-by-U

Simply....

WOW...

To everything...

Thank you for the endless information to aid in my build...

Beautiful truck, too...

Check out my build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=427503
Flu-by-U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:20 PM   #9
gdavis

I built a rotisserie for my frame and it works great. 2 6x6 pt and drilled holes ind mounted 2x4 to frame and it really works and makes my work a lot easier. From Fl. hi
Old 09-24-2012, 09:30 PM   #10
gdavis

You make my welding look cheep. I am still on my frame but Rome wasn't built in one day. Love the way your frame looks From Fl.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:04 PM   #11
Olin

Very impressive. I really like your fuel door/brake light.

It was cool to see all the work that goes in to doing a proper rebuild of one of these trucks. I have a 69 sitting in a shed that my Dad left to me that I've been wanting to rebuild for a long time. We bought the truck when I was 3-4 years old, it was passed on to me after my Dad died when I was 16, and it's been sitting in that shed since 1999. One of these days I'll have the space, time and $$ to rebuild it, but to finish with anything like your truck I'm going to need a lot of help!
Olin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:15 PM   #12
Seventy Two

Hi Bruce,
Just curious how the Nylatron worked out for your friction pads on your door hinges?

Your truck and the detail you have provided us is amazing.
Seventy Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:43 PM   #13
Bruce88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventy Two View Post
Hi Bruce,
Just curious how the Nylatron worked out for your friction pads on your door hinges?

Your truck and the detail you have provided us is amazing.
The Nylatron sheet that I used in the hinges for friction pads didn’t perform as good as I wanted them to. If I had to give them a grade it would be a (C), they work fair but not the same as what came from the factory. I think the Nylatron might be a little too hard with less frictional properties than needed. As you open the door that friction pads should give you a feel that the door will stay in an opening position that you put it, this material doesn’t give this feel it’s to smooth/not enough friction to hold the door in the position that you open it to. My hinges are working very smooth with very little resistance and could get away from you easily causing the door to open further than you want it to. As I said in (post #120) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=318544&page=5 this choice of material was a guess on my part, so the search is still on to find a material that is closer to what the factory used (smile). Will this material work, yes but not as good as something closer to what the factory used. I hope someone will find out what that material is and will post it for all to know and use and where to get it from.

Thanks for the question, I’ve been meaning to post some fallow up on some of the choice’s that I made and how they worked out. This one is fair but could have been better (smile)

Enjoy your build
Old 10-25-2012, 10:46 AM   #14
Seventy Two

Thanks for the response. If I manage to find a suitable friction pad material, I will pass it along. Thanks again.
Seventy Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:54 AM   #15
Broncoviejo

Awesome Job! Nice Truck.
Broncoviejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:41 AM   #16
Justonegear

Just went through your build thread...... Wow, hats off to you Bruce. It is a sacrifice and great service to take the many hours of time to detail your work. It's one thing to do it... it's another matter to share it! Thanks for sharing with me... with us. My guess is you learned to teach and share long before the 72 showed up on the trailer.

Thanks again.
Justonegear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:54 PM   #17
67ctener

Hello neighbor, Truck turned out great
Posted via Mobile Device
90 k2500
91 s10
#chevyonly
67ctener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:14 PM   #18
Desert.Chevy

31 pages later and I have to say great Build, and Awesome Truck! Nice computer setup too.
Desert.Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:39 PM   #19
2Cav

What an amazing build Bruce! Absolutely inspirational! Thank you for all your posts and attention to detail, I have no doubt this will help me a great deal as I begin my journey.

Jeff
2Cav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:54 AM   #20
rhd_c10

great build.. great detail..

1964 CHEVROLET BISCAYNE 350CI/TH-350
1968 CHEVROLET C-10 SWB LS1/4L60E
rhd_c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:04 AM   #21
Low Elco

Ah, I should have thrown more info in. It's the yellow truck in my sig. It's a 70, with a 90 Jeep wrangler tank in the back and a 91 Ranger filler assy. No system at all to start with. Currently vented to atmosphere, to avoid the dreaded vacuum problem. Works great, just stinks. The specific question should have been, did that vent line just run to a stock 71 can, or something special? Also, is it a straight vacuum hookup off the motor, or are there switches, valves, and doohickeys involved? Thanks for the help!
Old 04-28-2013, 01:08 PM   #22
Bruce88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Ah, I should have thrown more info in. It's the yellow truck in my sig. It's a 70, with a 90 Jeep wrangler tank in the back and a 91 Ranger filler assy. No system at all to start with. Currently vented to atmosphere, to avoid the dreaded vacuum problem. Works great, just stinks. The specific question should have been, did that vent line just run to a stock 71 can, or something special? Also, is it a straight vacuum hookup off the motor, or are there switches, valves, and doohickeys involved? Thanks for the help!
If I understand your question correctly, you want to convert your atmosphere vented gas tank vent system to an EEC system to eliminate the gas smell in the garage. Yes it can be done with your system, no special Fuel Vapor Canister just for the 71 – 72 trucks has to be used. But there are some other components that need to be added to make a functional system, there are no switches/doohickeys needed for it to work. I’m going to need a few days to gather together some pictures (yes I love to show it in pictures along with writing it out ----- smile), so give me a few days and I will post it hear for you. Also if you have a picture of your fuel tank from the top with the fuel/vent lines installed it would help, I’m not totally familiar with the 1990 jeep wrangler fuel tank.

Bruce
Old 05-29-2013, 02:41 PM   #23
chmurt

Hello Bruce,

I am a newcomer to the site and I am totally in awe of your detailed build thread. I've spent two days and more gleaning information from it and will continue to refer back to it. I am in the process of restoring a 1971 GMC SWB Fenderside (stepside) which I bought new in Sept. 1970 and, admittedly, didn't take the best care of. Fortunately, being in Southern California, it wasn't often subjected to wet and muddy roads so there hasn't been any major rust problem nor any collision damage.

I too am of the age and can relate very fondly to those days when side mounted spare tires were quite common on pickups. Wish I would have ordered it as an option when I ordered the truck! As a result, I am installing a Side Mounted Wheel Carrier on it which (again admittedly!) has been giving me some mental fits with the fitup aches and pains to install new assemblies. I hope you will be able to take some time to respond to my questions:

1. Do you have any pics of the bottom support bracket under the bedwood and how it fits up and attaches to the vertical supports? (A fitup dimension and hole drilling location headache!)

2. How much clearance do you have between the tire and bedrail and the side of the fender cutout, or are you butting the tire tightly against those areas?

3. The fender Grommet through which the rear bottom leg of the sidemount bracket passes: I finally found one through internet search which is close to original - suitable but flimsy. The one on your installation looks much more substantial and, although it doesn't apply to my installation, I see it it also handles the antenna cable. Can you recommend a source and part number?

4. Do you see a need to coat the bedsides in the fender wells with Herculiner or some other product similar to what the fender insides are coated with? Seems as though there used to be undercoating there.

5. You mention on Page 15 of the thread that you applied Seam Sealer where needed before the painting process at the shop. I will need something like that in areas on the bed and tailgate when readying for paint. Can you recommend a product?

6. I've not mentioned that the front fenders, hood & cowl have been painted but are not fully assembled, although the cab exterior, interior and doors are complete painted and installed. Are the inner fenders installed prior to or after installing the outer fenders? I didn't see that mentioned in your build thread and couldn't tell from the pics.

That's it. Again, with great respect for your detailed notes and finished product and hoping for your reply, I am,

Chuck

I'm having a "H" of a time getting this email to send......

Last edited by chmurt; 05-29-2013 at 02:49 PM.
chmurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:07 PM   #24
Bruce88

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmurt View Post

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello Bruce,

I am a newcomer to the site and I am totally in awe of your detailed build thread. I've spent two days and more gleaning information from it and will continue to refer back to it. I am in the process of restoring a 1971 GMC SWB Fenderside (stepside) which I bought new in Sept. 1970 and, admittedly, didn't take the best care of. Fortunately, being in Southern California, it wasn't often subjected to wet and muddy roads so there hasn't been any major rust problem nor any collision damage.

I too am of the age and can relate very fondly to those days when side mounted spare tires were quite common on pickups. Wish I would have ordered it as an option when I ordered the truck! As a result, I am installing a Side Mounted Wheel Carrier on it which (again admittedly!) has been giving me some mental fits with the fitup aches and pains to install new assemblies. I hope you will be able to take some time to respond to my questions:

1. Do you have any pics of the bottom support bracket under the bedwood and how it fits up and attaches to the vertical supports? (A fitup dimension and hole drilling location headache!)

2. How much clearance do you have between the tire and bedrail and the side of the fender cutout, or are you butting the tire tightly against those areas?

3. The fender Grommet through which the rear bottom leg of the sidemount bracket passes: I finally found one through internet search which is close to original - suitable but flimsy. The one on your installation looks much more substantial and, although it doesn't apply to my installation, I see it it also handles the antenna cable. Can you recommend a source and part number?

4. Do you see a need to coat the bedsides in the fender wells with Herculiner or some other product similar to what the fender insides are coated with? Seems as though there used to be undercoating there.

5. You mention on Page 15 of the thread that you applied Seam Sealer where needed before the painting process at the shop. I will need something like that in areas on the bed and tailgate when readying for paint. Can you recommend a product?

6. I've not mentioned that the front fenders, hood & cowl have been painted but are not fully assembled, although the cab exterior, interior and doors are complete painted and installed. Are the inner fenders installed prior to or after installing the outer fenders? I didn't see that mentioned in your build thread and couldn't tell from the pics.

That's it. Again, with great respect for your detailed notes and finished product and hoping for your reply, I am,

Chuck
I'm having a "H" of a time getting this email to send......
Hi Chuck (chmurt)

Thank you for finding my build thread of benefit to you. The use of a spare tire side mount that I used really falls into a custom installation that I was trying to work off stock installation parts. I’m going to need a few days to gather together info and pictures to answer your questions. I will be posting the answers hear with pictures for you and any others that might be interested.

I see that you’re new to posting on this web site. Let me be one of the first to say welcome and I think you will find that many of your questions that come up during your project/build will have answers thru out this web site. As with all customizing this is just my approach and there are probably other ways to reach your goals also.

Enjoy Your Build

Bruce
Old 05-30-2013, 02:08 AM   #25
Mike Bradbury

Hey Chuck,
I am just around the corner from you in El Cajon. Welcome to the site you will find many helpful friends here. I caution you about posting your full address and phone number in post out to the general forum, because anybody can browse not just the membership. Save the address details for personal messages. After 30 minutes you cannot edit your posts, so I would ask a moderator to edit your personal info from your post. Most of the time you should be OK, but spammers are alive and well.

Is your truck running now? a bunch of us are cruising up to the Brothers show at the end of June. All different levels of trucks up there but mostly real friendly guys who love to help.

Look here for details if interested: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=575275

We are leaving EARLY Sunday morning.

Project: Barn Raising http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=414961

Project: 30 Be Low https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=830583
Mike Bradbury is offline   Reply With Quote