The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board > 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans and PanelsProjects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-19-2009, 12:05 PM   #801
BlueJeep

Re: LFD's 4dr Tahoe Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokcrln View Post
No it is all one piece that was done in a power bead roller I have for building car bodies. Very expensive machine but you can use it for little things like this. Just makes for a better finished look even know it will all be covered in the end.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
I figured it might be something like that. Yes, it will make for a much cleaner finished product, as you said. Thanks!

86 Suburban
88 Jeep 6.0 swap
49 Chevy truck
54 Chevy wagon

86 Suburban lowered 4/6
54 Chevy wagon
49 Chevy/s10 mix
88 Jeep Wrangler rockcrawler
BlueJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 04:51 PM   #802
38chevyhotrod

hey, some updates again.
I love it, damn nice work. You make it look factory by adding those beads.

http://www.arnoldscustoms.com
38chevyhotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 05:39 PM   #803
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38chevyhotrod View Post
hey, some updates again.
I love it, damn nice work. You make it look factory by adding those beads.
Thanks, that was the idea. Glad it came across that way.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 05:41 PM   #804
Rokcrln

Here is the other side and a link to a build thread of the tub side.

Kevin
LFD inc.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-19-2009, 09:51 PM   #805
Rokcrln

Well great progress on the seating today. I had to remove my previously welded in second row seat brackets so I could move them forward 2 7/8". Then I had to drill and weld nut the rear seat mount right where the floor kicks up but once that was done it started falling together. I bolted the second row back in and wanted to see if the floor filler pieces could still be used and guess what, they could. So I just trimmed off a bit of material and snapped them right in place and they are nice and flush with the rear floor section. I guess all that time I spent shaving the rear floor for that extra inch really paid off. With the seats in their up right position I have maybe 1/2" of space between the tubs and the back of the seat for carpet.

So I am 6' and with the front seats in place with more room than I would need when driving I still fit in the second row with extra room. Now the third row is another story. I fit as far as head clearance goes but my legs are half way to my chest. It would be ok for cruising around but not for long drives. Now my son and his friends will fit great and be able to stretch out. But what I was most surprised about was with the pass side second row flipped down I could walk (bent over but not bad) right into the back and that was cool.

Now with the seat folded down and the rear seats out I have about 6'8" of bed room and it is 44" wide between the tubs. Then with the rear seats in place I have I think it was 19" to the tail gate for bags and what not. So all in all I guess some planning and a lot of luck this Tahoe is really coming together nicely!

Kevin
LFD Inc.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-19-2009, 10:59 PM   #806
tdave00
Restoring a 68 SWB

Very well planned. Looks great.
tdave00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:05 PM   #807
Critter
Future TOTM Winner

Well that's rediculously FREAKIN AWESOME! Good work.

Check it out www.lsdyno.com
Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 01:38 AM   #808
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Had you considered turning the rear seat around to look out the back window like the old station wagons? I doubt theres room, but remember the ones that would fold into the rear floor? They were pretty cool. As a kid I loved looking out the back as we cruised the highway.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 12:39 PM   #809
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
Had you considered turning the rear seat around to look out the back window like the old station wagons? I doubt theres room, but remember the ones that would fold into the rear floor? They were pretty cool. As a kid I loved looking out the back as we cruised the highway.
I remember those days gone bye as well. I grew up climbing around the back of a Ferd wagon with out seat belts, sleeping on the folded down seat on long trips and doing the arm pull for truck drivers to blow their air horns. Good time but not the safest things to be doing. After being an EMT/fire fighter for a few years and seeing what I have, my son will be facing forward and belted This rear seat has a good amount of room just not for a 6'er!

Kevin
LFD inc.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:00 PM   #810
LOW DOUGH
I'M TRUCK CRAZY!

It's really coming together back there.
LOW DOUGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 02:10 PM   #811
vegaschevy
Account Suspended

This thing is looking AWESOME!!!
vegaschevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 04:08 PM   #812
ERASER5

Rokcrln, I read your posts with great enthusiasm and can hardly wait for the next one. However, it may surprise you that everyone does not share my views, some are even, dare I say it? Board.

The upcoming Thanksgiving trip will decide if Boogers likes trucks or not.
ERASER5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 04:19 PM   #813
67cheby
67cheby

YOu are an amazing fabricator , someone needs to pick you up for your own TV show !!
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:05 PM   #814
Frizzle Fry

Diggin it man. Roll with the ADD inspiration bursts and you can't go wrong. Just don't try to keep a schedule
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:10 PM   #815
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry View Post
Diggin it man. Roll with the ADD inspiration bursts and you can't go wrong. Just don't try to keep a schedule
Amen to that!

Kevin
LFD Inc. or should that be A.D.D. Inc.
Old 11-21-2009, 01:13 AM   #816
tdave00
Restoring a 68 SWB

I would take an "ADD inspiration burst" every now and then if I got those kind of results.
tdave00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 10:24 AM   #817
68 short step

kevin what do you use to bend the DOM tubing? i saw where you post the lazze bead roller, hopeing you could share this info too...also are you still working full time, and this is a 'hobby' still?
68 short step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 11:45 AM   #818
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 short step View Post
kevin what do you use to bend the DOM tubing? i saw where you post the lazze bead roller, hopeing you could share this info too...also are you still working full time, and this is a 'hobby' still?

I have been full time at home for the last 2-3 months but I will be headed back to work (my union day job) in the next few weeks. Work got slow so I took a leave so some of the other guys could keep working knowing I had plenty of work here to pay the bills. But they just landed two good size framing jobs so it is back to being 60 hour a week baby sitter

For the DOM and HREW I have a hydraulic tube bender designed for doing roll cages and tube chassis. It is a JD squared model-3 on juice. I started building dune buggies chassis when I was 14 or 15 and have always had tube benders around. The one I have now I bought about 15 years ago and turned it to a full hydro unit about 6-7 years ago. Once I have the body off and start doing the rest of the chassis I will show more on tube bending and chassis work.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 11-22-2009, 02:14 AM   #819
CheyenneShop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokcrln View Post
I remember those days gone bye as well. I grew up climbing around the back of a Ferd wagon with out seat belts, sleeping on the folded down seat on long trips and doing the arm pull for truck drivers to blow their air horns. Good time but not the safest things to be doing. After being an EMT/fire fighter for a few years and seeing what I have, my son will be facing forward and belted This rear seat has a good amount of room just not for a 6'er!

Kevin
LFD inc.

So a "Rumble Seat" probably wont make the next masterpiece?
Attached Images

68 C/10 shorty - "Picacho" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428379 sold to "93redsled"

Have you heard about C10 Talk? C10 Talk is a podcast all about C10 Trucks, the builders, the vendors, and most importantly the C10 Community. Check us out online at www.c10talk.com
CheyenneShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 12:31 PM   #820
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by theCheyenneShop View Post
So a "Rumble Seat" probably wont make the next masterpiece?
You don't even know how close you are But no!

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:26 PM   #821
Rokcrln

Well todays progress was done with phone calls and debit cards I called Street and performance and ordered my wire harness, Drive by wire pedal and mass air flow thingy. I then sent them my ECU to re-program and should have it all in about 2 weeks. I then spoke with Nate tonight about building me a 1 off set of upper A-arms for my C4 front end to allow me to lay frame with 30.5" tall tires. I can lay right now but my upper ball joints are fully bound up and very stressed. So he is looking into doing a set out of 1" .120 Cromo with 20* of kick added to the ball joint mounts. Also my PB hood hinges should be sent this week as well so keep a look out for another How-To article coming from LFD.

Then lastly I started my fuel tank for this beast. It is being built out of .070 SS and will be right about 28 gal. It will have an intank fuel pump as well. More to come Tuesday.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:52 PM   #822
pickup67man

You are the one that keeps my motivation going on my suburban. I don't have a bad ADD problem yet but distractions won't leave me alone. May need to start my own build thread so other member will urge me to stay focused.

2005 K2500 Duramax (hauls the junk home)
1967 Chev C10 (hauls a$$)
1970 Suburban (Yukon XL 4 door)
1968 GMC 3/4 ton (sheetmetal only, chassis gone)
2005 Malibu (wife's car, still a Chevy)

Project Family Hauler

New Home for Chevys (Moved in and working)
pickup67man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 06:53 PM   #823
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickup67man View Post
You are the one that keeps my motivation going on my suburban. I don't have a bad ADD problem yet but distractions won't leave me alone. May need to start my own build thread so other member will urge me to stay focused.
You bet get one going!

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:13 PM   #824
Rokcrln

Rock Valley Antique Auto Parts Inc.

I gave Rock Valley a call today to see if they could help me with my in-tank pump and sending unit. I spoke with a guy name Chris about what I wanted and I had a few questions for him as well. He had me fax him a drawing of my tank with dimensions and any key point. Then in about 1 hour he called me back and faxed the sheet back to me. We went over what he felt was the best set up and placement for my baffles as to not get in the way of the sending unit or pump. They are going to build a mounting plate that will hold the in tank pump, fuel resivor and sending unit. The mounting plate will be set 1" below the top of my tank (so the lines will clear my tube work) and the lines will exit out the front of the tank. Great company to deal with and if you need a tank or just parts to build your own I highly recommend them.

I am looking at about $425 plus shipping for what I bought and I will have the tank ready for it to drop right in and Tig up. I made my tank out of .070 SS and it is right around 27 gal. That should give me about a 500 mile cruising range. With my rear floor and frame I had a lot of things to deal with in the over all size and shape so that I could get the largest tank possible to fit and stay out of the way.

Here are a few pic's of what I ended up with. I still need to figure out what size fill tube I want and how I will be mounting it all up.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-24-2009, 08:55 PM   #825
kev2809
low n' slo

thats a great looking tank man...hey..are you gonna have a floor behind the rear seats? i think it would be kinda cool to leave a plexiglass window on the floor so you can see all the tubing work you did

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__
,.,,,.,.,,.,|_O _______ O_]
kev2809 is offline   Reply With Quote