The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 01:34 PM   #8426
Grizz1963

Re: What did you do to your truck today?

Not much done today, but still a result that had me chuckling, as I did something new again, making it up as I went.

Which is something I always like to do.

My mate Martin who is doing up a 1965 C10 needed a glove box inner, as his original had long since rotted away, being made from paper mache, or something similar.

I had volunteered to make him a new one from ally plate or thin sheet metal in exchange for the side mirrors he had removed from his truck a few months ago.

Started by rummaging around the garage till I found a good base to work with. The back of an old steel filing cabinet (I think that's what it was) that was probably around 1mm thick.

Next up, empty out my glove box to see what I am working with.

Removed it by unscrewing 5 screws.

Laid out the steel plate, carefully copied all the reference points on the made glove box, then connected the dots with a red marker and also shaded in the areas that needed cutting away.

One Angle grinder, a 2mm blade and three minutes later we have this, still needed working back with a hand file to smooth off the edges.

At this point I went up to the house to make a coffee, and then walked back to behind the garage where we grow our vegetables, and where I planted a Conference pear and Star King apple tree two years ago.

Last year each tree presented me with two fruits, this year the pear has retained about 15 pears and the apple tree has about 25 apples which range in size from what you see in my hand, to some a bit bigger still. These apples are pleasantly sweet from the smallest to the largest, which pleases me immensely. So I ate a few apples, feeling very smug, then came back in to carry on with the box.

Back in the garage the next session of rummaging started, to find the right bits of wood to use to bend the plate to shape.

Once all the sides were folded, it stayed in shape without any encouragement. I WAS SURPRISED.

I then quickly clamped, and tack welded the tabs rather than rivet them as mine has been done.

Ground back, the last job was to give it a coat of primer, mostly as rust preventative. Martin can paint the outside if he wants. I know he wants to carpet the inside with thin automotive carpet.

I then hoped onto the bike and rode the 15 miles to Martins to deliver and collect......

Got there, and he had removed the heavy agricultural bumper from the truck and had just finished welding in a new rear roll pan, which looks great.

After a chat and him sparaying some red oxide primer over the new roll pan, we lifted and refitted the tailgate, which I have to say fits nicely. Still needs some fine tuning.

Last thing once we had stood back, enjoyed it, and gotten the approval of his wife, Amanda, was for me to grab my well earned mirrors and come home, as I still had some jobs to do at home as well.

And that is where today with the truck ended.

Last edited by Grizz1963; 08-31-2013 at 01:48 PM.
Old 08-31-2013, 04:55 PM   #8427
ratrod11

Pulled the carburetor to begin the rebuild, much to the dismay of the resident mud daubers... got the bed out of the way. Should have a 4x4 frame ready to post in parts for sale before too much longer!
Attached Images

Old 08-31-2013, 05:57 PM   #8428
Bigru

Drove my first 50 miles since buying it in March, today is a good day. Lol.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 08-31-2013, 07:33 PM   #8429
ACK

Didn't have lots of time to work on the truck, so I constructed a burp bottle based on this article. White was the color of the day, came out to under $20, including new hose for the hook up.
Attached Images

Old 08-31-2013, 08:26 PM   #8430
robber grin

Very cool Grizz - great tech on the glove box ;^)

I seam-sealed the 62 windshield flange area at the cowl and A-pillars and tops of the door openings.

Repaired the PO's gun rack mounting holes in the cab's interior panels (one went all the way through and was poking out the back of the cab above the window - ouch down at the car wash!).

Sprayed some epoxy primer... sorta then ran up to my buddy's paint shop to see what the heck was up with my HVLP gun... it was more of the guy holding it than the actual gun's fault.

One thing this build is teaching me is IF YOU DON'T USE IT - YOU WILL LOSE IT.

Pulled some major tree-limb dents out of the cab roof on the DS and filled those areas to smooth them the rest of the way.

Fun day with my son in the garage.
rg & ray~ray
Old 09-02-2013, 05:05 PM   #8431
Acksman

All the pictures in my build thread, but finished my Dash Cluster rebuild today.

Old 09-02-2013, 05:45 PM   #8432
AnlaufJohn

Pulled the lights, grille, bumpers and mirrors off my 1966 C-10, prepping it for primer grey and then a coat of a light tan. Now, time for a wash and roughing up the old Dark Yellow paint.
283 w/ 2bbl, OE carb and dist.
4 spd (granny 1st) w/ 3.73 rear end
Old 09-02-2013, 05:56 PM   #8433
siggyfreud

This actually happened about a week ago, but I bought my old truck back after 7 years!

66 GMC 3/4. Looks like it was stored in a time capsule. Seven years ago I put in a fuel injected 350 and 700r4. Doesn't run currently, so I took the opportunity to begin stripping ALL the wiring, as well as ordered a new computer system and wiring for it (Megasquirt to replace the stock ECU).

Looking forward to continuing where I left off in College!

Old 09-02-2013, 07:12 PM   #8434
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Drove my truck today and put a new intake and exhaust gasket in, that cured my exhaust leak.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:28 PM   #8435
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Congrats on repurchasing your old truck, and in good condition. That's a real rarity. It certainly appears to be a beauty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by siggyfreud View Post
This actually happened about a week ago, but I bought my old truck back after 7 years!

66 GMC 3/4. Looks like it was stored in a time capsule. Seven years ago I put in a fuel injected 350 and 700r4. Doesn't run currently, so I took the opportunity to begin stripping ALL the wiring, as well as ordered a new computer system and wiring for it (Megasquirt to replace the stock ECU).

Looking forward to continuing where I left off in College!

Old 09-03-2013, 02:58 AM   #8436
64chevtruck

Sorry for no pics, but today I cut off the old farmer bumper, and dry fit my rear pan, Ill paint the areas and assemble tomorrow.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:28 AM   #8437
chevy_man5
GMC's n H.D.'s too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickywideglide View Post
installed harley halogen headlamp looks real good alot brighter ,i will try to post pics
Still no pics Ricky? I'd like to see this!

1960 GMC 4x4 Babe (the Blue Ox) - Build Thread
Old 09-03-2013, 12:41 PM   #8438
luvbowties

Thumbs up Re: What did you do to your truck today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by endlessearth View Post
I bought a dent puller from Northern Tool today. Tomorrow I am going to try and remove most of the dent from each of the (lower parts of the) doors on my truck. Last in is first out and work around the dent is what I have been told by those who know more than me...wait, that is all of you.
Don't forget to make another useful dent puller for flat panels; was taught to me by an old-timer body man. Drill a hole, approx. 3/8-inch, in center of a 12-inch X 2-inch piece of flat steel(1/4-inch or a tad thicker) about halfway the length. Drill a small "pull-hole" into dent. Screw a metal screw into this dent-hole. Place hole of flat steel over the screw with length of flat steel flush against the body. Using a claw hammer, pull gently until dent hits the flat steel. Drill and pull successive holes as needed. It's hard to pull the dent too far, this way.
HTH,
Sam
Old 09-04-2013, 08:40 PM   #8439
AngryPirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACK View Post
Didn't have lots of time to work on the truck, so I constructed a burp bottle based on this article. White was the color of the day, came out to under $20, including new hose for the hook up.
This looks great.

Question: the overflow fitting on the rad cap neck runs to the fitting on the bottom of the burp bottle but what does the top fitting on the burp bottle hook into?

Thanks!
Old 09-04-2013, 09:21 PM   #8440
AngryPirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryPirate View Post
This looks great.

Question: the overflow fitting on the rad cap neck runs to the fitting on the bottom of the burp bottle but what does the top fitting on the burp bottle hook into?

Thanks!
Looks like it might be the breather hose on the top fitting and it doesn't attach to anything. AMIRITE?
Old 09-04-2013, 09:30 PM   #8441
ACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryPirate View Post
Looks like it might be the breather hose on the top fitting and it doesn't attach to anything. AMIRITE?
You're right. It's the old radiator over flow hose hooked up to a breather at the top of the bottle and runs down through the frame.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-05-2013, 05:26 PM   #8442
donthekawguy

I actually got thee new mufflers put on last week. They are a lot quieter and will make driving it much nicer. Before and after. Doesnt sound much different on the vid I guess but it is worlds apart.

Old 09-05-2013, 05:41 PM   #8443
FetchMeAPepsi

Got four of the six bolts holding my SM318 tranny in removed. She'll come out this Saturday and get a good cleaning, a new throwout bearing, pilot bearing, and mounts. Have to have the clutch plate rebuilt (smear more "asbestos" on it) then hopefully she'll be purring like a kitten again.
See My Build - Cecilia!
Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:41 AM   #8444
earl84

Just getting ready to go out and put this stuff in. Wish me luck!
Attached Images

Old 09-06-2013, 10:50 AM   #8445
endlessearth

Mine got photoshopped thanks to McCoy AZ. I wanted to see what it would look like lowered and with chrome rims. I was originally thinking chrome center caps but now that I have seen the photoshop I am thinking it might look far more *****ing with chrome smoothies. Here are the original and the altered images:

Old 09-06-2013, 12:24 PM   #8446
88Lt1wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by endlessearth View Post
Mine got photoshopped thanks to McCoy AZ. I wanted to see what it would look like lowered and with chrome rims.
I thought it looked perfect in the first pic

'66 C10 LWB 2 BBL 283 w/ T-5
'90 V1500 Suburban TBI 350 w/ 700R4
Old 09-07-2013, 01:18 PM   #8447
mud.man.rj

First pic, not lowered and black rims...is the it picture.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:39 PM   #8448
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Slapped on a set of 3 bar simulated knock offs last night. Not sure yet if they are an improvement or not. I guess time will tell:

Old 09-07-2013, 02:10 PM   #8449
Fastest32

Got one side of my disc brake and drop spindles done. I'll finish the other side tonight. Can't wait to see it with all four of the steelies.
Posted via Mobile Device

GO SPURS GO!!!
Old 09-07-2013, 06:13 PM   #8450
E911manager

Carpet and seats installed.
Attached Images

Closed Thread