The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 12:44 AM   #8926
JBX66

Re: What did you do to your truck today?

So this wasn't necessarily today... but it's been a while. Name:  164.jpg
Views: 725
Size:  38.4 KB
This is what I asked for for Christmas- Duct tape and a muffler. I got a Thrush Glasspack, and I really want to know what it sounds like. To quote a certain song (brownies and a hug to whoever gets the reference), "Straightpipe roar, primer and rust all over the door"
Name:  165.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  74.3 KB
Radio I mounted under the dash- I couldn't bear to tear up the dash. I'm just waiting to get a radio that fits in, like the USA 230 or something. Also note the LED switch on the left. My truck was originally a 3 speed on the tree, so the switch for the reverse lights were automatic. After the previous owner converted it to a floor shift, it no longer had that capability, so my dad rigged up the little switch to flick on whenever I put it into reverse (Side not: The reverse lights are really bright! Are they supposed to be?)
Name:  166.jpg
Views: 757
Size:  29.8 KB
all the lights work! A few grounding issues we had to figure out, but they all work now Got a new tailgate that was bent just enough to make us annoyed for a while until we figured out how to put it on. Rattlecanned the entire back (not the tailgate, though) to look passable. It won't be winning any awards.
Name:  167.jpg
Views: 705
Size:  40.8 KB
Bad picture, I know, but the rail was my first ever rattlecan attempt. Dad did the other side, although I sanded it. Slowly hand sanding the area below the bend and above the chrome bed piece.
Name:  168.jpg
Views: 693
Size:  38.9 KB
And where we hung the spare hood. Kind of intimidating, isn't it? The spot was already open from my previous Miata's hard top.

Last edited by JBX66; 01-02-2014 at 01:04 AM.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:07 AM   #8927
JBX66

Name:  169.jpg
Views: 784
Size:  47.3 KB
I found a few interesting places for my custom built speakers (the way to do it- take any speakers you have lying around the house, take the biggest ones, make boxes. Really, really, really crappy boxes. Then solder everything together), 2 'bass' speakers under the seat, left and right, a small speaker about the size of an original AM radio speaker about where it should have been, and of course the hidden one in the glovebox.
Name:  170.jpg
Views: 692
Size:  51.3 KB
Here's a bass speaker.
Name:  171.jpg
Views: 678
Size:  37.5 KB
Excellent handiwork on the upholstry- done by me of course. I need a sign that says "WARNING- UNDER DECONSTRUCTION"
Name:  172.jpg
Views: 696
Size:  43.7 KB
Another crappy picture, but it's the front passenger fender, finally lined up with the cab using a duct tape shim. Planning on painting whenever it warms up.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:26 PM   #8928
Trsmotrhed

Welded in the new passenger patch panel and inner brace. I have to say I did an excellent job. next I'm tackling the floors and rocker panels.
Before,

After,

After,

Trial fit fender and fit great.

Epoxy primed the both fenders, cowl extensions and bed front.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=544174
Old 01-03-2014, 10:36 AM   #8929
vin63
It's Better With Nitro

I went through a bunch of silicon bronze rod yesterday and finished welding up my passenger side front fender, and got the first coat of body filler on it. I'll be tackling the driver side fender today in between periods of sanding...

...my subtle front fender modification:
Tubular front and rear suspension
Custom 6-piston front disc and 4-piston rear disc brakes
Old 01-03-2014, 11:27 AM   #8930
ChrisDollins

That is awesome vin63. Always thought the front wheel opening was too high on these trucks. How much did you lower it?

Chris
Old 01-03-2014, 11:38 AM   #8931
Dean'smeanmachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by vin63 View Post
I went through a bunch of silicon bronze rod yesterday and finished welding up my passenger side front fender, and got the first coat of body filler on it. I'll be tackling the driver side fender today in between periods of sanding...

...my subtle front fender modification:
good job!!

1972 Custom Camper c/20 5.3 LS swap in progress. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=610187

in God we Trust
Old 01-03-2014, 11:49 AM   #8932
vin63
It's Better With Nitro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisDollins View Post
That is awesome vin63. Always thought the front wheel opening was too high on these trucks. How much did you lower it?

Chris
Thanks! It ended up being 2 1/4 inches lower...that was about the most I could squeeze with it being somewhat in proportion to the rest of the opening dimensions.
Tubular front and rear suspension
Custom 6-piston front disc and 4-piston rear disc brakes
Old 01-03-2014, 09:43 PM   #8933
mud.man.rj

That is some nice work on the front fender, great idea.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:50 PM   #8934
steveb64

Removed the bed in preparation for the install of a Porterbuilt stage 2 rear kit and to repair the cab corners. Wanted to get this done today before we hit the double digit below zero weather that's coming.
Why do I live here?
Attached Images

Old 01-04-2014, 09:37 PM   #8935
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveb64 View Post
Removed the bed in preparation for the install of a Porterbuilt stage 2 rear kit and to repair the cab corners. Wanted to get this done today before we hit the double digit below zero weather that's coming.
Why do I live here?
Nice truck Steve....hmmm....why do you liver there! LOL!
Old 01-05-2014, 10:05 PM   #8936
dougf

Before the game I was able to tack in a floorboard patch just above the right cab support. made a patch for the s channel and put that in with the cab support last week, measured and cut a hole for the cab mount bolt and bolt housing also. The right side as seen from the pic (really the inside closest to trans tunnel) was oil canned so I had to make a relief cut, will need to fill that in with tack welds also. My little 110v craftsman flux core wire feed welder I got off bookoo for $60 is working out great!

Old 01-05-2014, 10:13 PM   #8937
64shortbox

Well, Not today but over the last several months (off & on) I finished the installation of my Disc Brake set up & rebuilt front suspension. To make it easier I pulled the motor & trans so I could clean up and paint the firewall and engine compartment, replace the front and rear main seals and stop those leaks, clean & paint the motor, fix the leaks on the turbo 350 transmission and that was a big pain in the a$$. The dip stick tube was leaking at the "O" ring, the 1-2 servo cover "O" ring had a nick and was leaking, the rear seal was leaking so I replaced it too, the vacuum modulator was leaking - I bought a new one. I changed the filter while I had the trans out and replaced the trans pan gasket with a nice thick one that was mounted on a card and NOT folded up in a little box like the ones from Auto Zone & O'Reames. For those of you in the Fresno CA area the best transmission place to go is Transmission Supply in Fresno on M street. Great prices and helpful people. Well worth the hour drive for me. I also installed a Lincoln Mark VIII electric fan it fits the radiator like it was made for it. I HAD to paint the calipers Red s everyone would know I had Disc Brakes. (yes, lame I know) Check out the fit of the Mark VIII fan& shroud. Almost like it was made for our trucks. I got a little carried away with the stainless but the same could be accomplished with some 1/8" X 2" angle iron some 1/4 - 20 bolts and some 3/8" PVC for stand offs. I work at a food processing plant and have access to all kinds of stainless, a shear, break and tig welder so I made use of it. Notice the Ford Radiator Overflow/Windshield tank? A $13.00 junk yard find with some CLR cleaning & now I have window washers - the washer nozzles also came from Ford truck too. It took a "LITTLE" tweaking to get them to squirt between the ribs in the cowl and hit the center of the windshield but all works great now.
Attached Images

Old 01-05-2014, 10:38 PM   #8938
64shortbox

Forgot to add in my previous post While I was at it I installed a one wire 120 Amp alternator, installed a suspended throttle cable, replaced the trans kick down cable the PO cut at some point in time and I added HID projector headlights. I also installed a new Flame Steering Wheel my wife bought for my birthday in 2012 - hey you can't rush into this stuff. If you check the pictures you can see my A/C vents form a 64 Chrysler New Yorker, the modified brake pedal and the suspended gas pedal. A LOT of my modifications were STOLEN from other members on this board. That's what I love about this board everyone is so helpful & willing to share their knowledge. Now my truck sits nose high - I installed CPP 2 1/2" drop spindles. The PO had 3" lowering springs in the front but it's definitely sitting more than just a 1/2" higher in the front than before. Hopefully after driving (beating) the truck for a while the front will settle. If not drop springs are in order and definitely bags for the rear. I took the truck out for a test drive - the radiator cap dies and spewed antifreeze all over my clean engine and engine compartment and now I see the shift shaft seal on the trans is leaking ever so slightly. It didn't even occur to me to change it while I had the trans out of the truck. Sometimes I can be a real IDIOT!
Attached Images

Old 01-05-2014, 10:41 PM   #8939
dougf

You have an awesome truck! Its hard to tell how much the trucks going to settle up front, so good luck on that. Dont beat yourself up about the trans seal, we all overlook stuff
Old 01-06-2014, 04:02 PM   #8940
dwcardfan

Cut out my rocker panels. Waiting on new ones to arrive.
Attached Images

Old 01-06-2014, 04:22 PM   #8941
Fatherof3

Straightening the bottom of the door with out loosing the old paint. Want it to still look old, just not so beat up. That's not rust bubbles at the bottom, there is only surface rust on the inside. It's just a cheap old repaint coming off

65 C20 292 4spd 4:56 Eaton HO52

Last edited by Fatherof3; 01-06-2014 at 04:27 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:21 PM   #8942
speedy_steve

I used my tailgate as a workbench to polish the scooter. Oh...and pulled an "extra" electrical wire off of the carburetor and put some empty beer cans in the bed.

More planned for tonight.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:28 PM   #8943
Grizz1963

Well, since buying the truck, I have wanted to replace the wheels on the Teardrop trailer with smoothies.

Of course this would mean finding just two, getting tyres, then having new adapter plates made up to get the trailer from 4 stud hubs to Chevy bolt pattern.

Yesterday I was at a loose end and getting bored as one does, ended up buying a pair of Wheel Vinteques Chrome Smoothies for reasonable money (that I should not have spent) off a nice member on a forum who drives a rather lush car that did not get on with the smoothies.

No chrome caps unfortunately, but hopefully I will find some somewhere.

Now I need to get my mate Julian to make up a pair of adapters and get two tyres from the existing rims as I cannot justify fitting a pair of thin whitewalls as well.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:02 PM   #8944
aclay17

Thumbs up Re: What did you do to your truck today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy_steve View Post
I used my tailgate as a workbench to polish the scooter. Oh...and pulled an "extra" electrical wire off of the carburetor and put some empty beer cans in the bed.

More planned for tonight.

I saw this truck in the building the other day. Looks pretty good when I'm driving by to park.

Southern Classic C-10 Club
2013 Hot Rod Pour Tour

Old 01-06-2014, 07:06 PM   #8945
speedy_steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclay17 View Post
I saw this truck in the building the other day. Looks pretty good when I'm driving by to park.
Dang, small world. Stop on by and say "Hi". I'll be out there working on it tonight.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:21 PM   #8946
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBX66 View Post
. . After the previous owner converted it to a floor shift, it no longer had that capability, so my dad rigged up the little switch to flick on whenever I put it into reverse (Side not: The reverse lights are really bright! Are they supposed to be?)
Attachment 1194423
Just a note in case you haven't seen them, Hurst makes a reverse switch kit that fits on the manual 3 speed and 4 speed shifters. I have one on my Super T10 4 speed. The bracket positions the switch plunger so the shift arm depresses the plunger in reverse.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hu...Fax_QgodCCcAkA

FYI mine are incredibly bright as well.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:23 AM   #8947
Dean'smeanmachine

today i rolled the truck out to sweep out the garage. then put it back in
Attached Images

1972 Custom Camper c/20 5.3 LS swap in progress. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=610187

in God we Trust
Old 01-07-2014, 12:38 PM   #8948
wayno

So I'm kicking myself in the arse - primered my step side fenders - blocking them down now - but left a couple of my powdered coated hood pieces in an open card board box - you guessed it over spray - I'm an idiot
Old 01-07-2014, 01:47 PM   #8949
Rich 5150 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64shortbox View Post
Forgot to add in my previous post While I was at it I installed a one wire 120 Amp alternator, installed a suspended throttle cable, replaced the trans kick down cable the PO cut at some point in time and I added HID projector headlights. I also installed a new Flame Steering Wheel my wife bought for my birthday in 2012 - hey you can't rush into this stuff. If you check the pictures you can see my A/C vents form a 64 Chrysler New Yorker, the modified brake pedal and the suspended gas pedal. A LOT of my modifications were STOLEN from other members on this board. That's what I love about this board everyone is so helpful & willing to share their knowledge. Now my truck sits nose high - I installed CPP 2 1/2" drop spindles. The PO had 3" lowering springs in the front but it's definitely sitting more than just a 1/2" higher in the front than before. Hopefully after driving (beating) the truck for a while the front will settle. If not drop springs are in order and definitely bags for the rear. I took the truck out for a test drive - the radiator cap dies and spewed antifreeze all over my clean engine and engine compartment and now I see the shift shaft seal on the trans is leaking ever so slightly. It didn't even occur to me to change it while I had the trans out of the truck. Sometimes I can be a real IDIOT!
Shortbox my th 350 is leaking just about everywhere there is a seal,( some got replaced ) so right now I`m on the fence as whether to go back to a crashbox or build a 200r4, I as well am adapting a lot of little mods from our site thanks to a lot of ingenious members here and their willing to share the they`re ideas.....
`68 Dart 370/904/323 suregrip
Old 01-07-2014, 10:09 PM   #8950
endlessearth

Odds and ends. Hopefully my truck will be back on the road again soon.

Closed Thread