The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board > 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-30-2013, 11:05 PM   #926
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Junkyard Jimmy Super Low Buck Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
To me, if they're on a truck, that better be a super fast truck.
Like a camaro with a truck bed huh? Oh wait, next project, scrap heap-camino RS/SS (clone, like who has the cash for the real thing).
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:13 AM   #927
RatRod68

dont do racing stripes. Please, for the love of all things holy do not do racing stripes.

This is gorgeous.

http://www.truckinweb.com/features/0...chevrolet_c10/
D-Ranged Ford Ranger on steroids

Semper Fi
RatRod68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:01 AM   #928
Dale99

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatRod68 View Post
That does look good except for the flame edges.

Would you do the roof black too, or color match to the body?
Dale99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:21 PM   #929
RatRod68

yea, flames are always love or hate. I actually love them, (awaits flamer jokes) but there are lots and lots of people who do not.

Semper Fi
Old 01-31-2013, 02:59 PM   #930
Dale99

I had flames on my show truck. But IDK, just looks out of place on that one *shrugs*. Maybe in person it would look better.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:44 PM   #931
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
dont do racing stripes. Please, for the love of all things holy do not do racing stripes.

This is gorgeous.

http://www.truckinweb.com/features/0...chevrolet_c10/
Sooooo, not liking the stripes idea then.

I obviously like the color combo, the flame line separator looks better from 20 feet than the close up. I hate those tail lights. They just dont fit. Like they just cut a hole and slid them in regardless of the shape. I liked the interior, except for the dash and gauge cluster. Just not a fan of the flat blank dash look. And I'm not a fan of body matched bumpers and grills on these trucks. Overall it looks good, I just have different tastes on some things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale99 View Post
Would you do the roof black too, or color match to the body?
The top will be either black or something else dark. The only gold will be the body sheetmetal, which is plenty. If I put emblems on, they will also be blacked out. Bumpers black.

From the feedback I'm getting, this is the prefered option... (Oh and ford haters can keep it to themselves. This is one of my favorites and I'd love to have one for a future build.)
Attached Images

Old 02-01-2013, 12:42 PM   #932
RatRod68

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
Sooooo, not liking the stripes idea then.

I obviously like the color combo, the flame line separator looks better from 20 feet than the close up. I hate those tail lights. They just dont fit. Like they just cut a hole and slid them in regardless of the shape. I liked the interior, except for the dash and gauge cluster. Just not a fan of the flat blank dash look. And I'm not a fan of body matched bumpers and grills on these trucks. Overall it looks good, I just have different tastes on some things.
I was just reffering to the paint job being gorgeous! lol.

and no. racing stripes belong on muscle cars, not trucks. Not even muscle trucks. lol

Semper Fi
Old 02-01-2013, 08:58 PM   #933
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
I was just reffering to the paint job being gorgeous! lol.
I knew what you meant. I was just looking it over and some ideas I love, others not so much.

I had my body guy stop over today for some tips on how to get the paint done properly. I think I'm going to have to edge some panels like the hood, cowl tailgate, the bedsides where the tailgate fits in, etc. so that I can have the truck basically all assembled and fit up when I spray the rest of the outside. It's a bit more work than normal but he said that with the color I have and with that much metal flake its the only way to get it to look even and match all around. He said my hood was a work of art, which I thought was a bit much, but it was a lot of work, so I'll take it.

I stripped some paint around the tailgate area tonight, wiped it down with wax/grease remover and sprayed some etch primer on it. So this weekend sometime I'm going to spray some of that featherfill primer and see if I can get the driver side done.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:15 PM   #934
Dale99

ohh, thanks for the shot of the trailer hitch. I wonder if they still make that one?
Old 02-02-2013, 01:32 AM   #935
Low Elco

He's right. All together is the best, especially with the metallics.
Posted via Mobile Device
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:59 AM   #936
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
ohh, thanks for the shot of the trailer hitch. I wonder if they still make that one?
Maybe that was sarcasm, but in case it wasn't, the hitch is actually designed for a 73 and newer chevy truck I think. At the time I needed a hitch for my boat with my C-10, I couldn't get one for a 72 and earlier. Wasn't in the catalog. Not even sure the hidden hitches were available then. Anyway, I got this one and did some measuring and figured out that if I reversed the side brackets left to right and added a 1/2" plate between the bracket and the cross piece, it lined right up with the frame holes on my truck. I got some plates cut, drilled to match the holes in the brackets and it bolts right in. I just held onto it over the years and figured it would help strengthen the back end and I think I can use it to mount a skid plate to for the gas tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
He's right. All together is the best, especially with the metallics.
Posted via Mobile Device
I figured it was, but when the same shop painted my C-10, the hood and tailgate were sprayed off the truck, and it has some metallic in it too, so I wasn't sure. It matched up just fine. Just one of those nagging questions I had because I haven't ever done the full paint myself before. Realistically, I should have waited to spray any paint until all my body work was done. I just couldn't wait.

I also needed some input on my taping job and see if I was doing it right in the panel gaps, and on the edges, etc. So far, so good.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:29 AM   #937
fxdxharley
Just a nother gear head

thats a nice mustang. always liked those too, more than the camaro. your jimmy will look good with that style two tone. i say do it! and yes jam or edge your panels and roll tape them then paint it as a whole. only exception is, it would be easier to paint the hood off the truck but do it at the same time so it all matches perfectly. keep up the great work.
71 Jimmy 4x4- future crawler/ woods rig
71 blazer (C4 2wd conv project) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=523589
fxdxharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:37 AM   #938
Dale99

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
Maybe that was sarcasm, but in case it wasn't, the hitch is actually designed for a 73 and newer chevy truck I think. At the time I needed a hitch for my boat with my C-10, I couldn't get one for a 72 and earlier. Wasn't in the catalog. Not even sure the hidden hitches were available then. Anyway, I got this one and did some measuring and figured out that if I reversed the side brackets left to right and added a 1/2" plate between the bracket and the cross piece, it lined right up with the frame holes on my truck. I got some plates cut, drilled to match the holes in the brackets and it bolts right in. I just held onto it over the years and figured it would help strengthen the back end and I think I can use it to mount a skid plate to for the gas tank.
Nope, not Sarcasm. Ive been looking for a hitch that will clear the titled down frame members. So its off the 73-87 body style? Got it, will keep my eyes open at the junkyard in a few minutes.

:edit: they still make them. Can you see if that happens to have a part number on it for me? Looks like 44108 to me... http://www.reeseprod.com/content/pro...040&part=44108
Old 02-02-2013, 12:56 PM   #939
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Nope, not Sarcasm. Ive been looking for a hitch that will clear the titled down frame members. So its off the 73-87 body style? Got it, will keep my eyes open at the junkyard in a few minutes.

:edit: they still make them. Can you see if that happens to have a part number on it for me? Looks like 44108 to me... http://www.reeseprod.com/content/pro...040&part=44108
The one in the link is different. Mine has a straight cross tube, that one drops down to the receiver. The part number on mine is 36034, made in 1995. I already looked and that number did not come up on the reese site. But here is one for sale... http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/pts/3553147015.html

And here... http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/pts/3526932843.html

I've seen it come up listed for ford and dodge also and it seems to be a universal one. That second add had some dimensions listed for it. Like I said before, mine has the sides flipped and 1/2" spacers to make it work. When I bought it it was supposed to fit a 71 and newer (which the first ad above says), but they were mistaken. It works great as I have it set up. I pulled a 20' four winns runabout with inboard/outboard motor and a few trailers and it was rock solid.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:13 PM   #940
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Short update, sprayed some of the new G2 featherfill primer. It didn't lay very smooth for me, not sure if it's supposed to be kind of orange peely or if I just need to adjust the gun some more. I increase air pressure, which helped and opened the flow up some, which also helped. In any case, I sprayed a full quart on the driver side. Oh, and it's black, which I didn't even think about when I ordered it.

Back in Black...

Old 02-02-2013, 07:40 PM   #941
Low Elco

Ach! Hot tip: throw a splash of thinner in to get it to flow. Looks great!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-02-2013, 08:04 PM   #942
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Ach! Hot tip: throw a splash of thinner in to get it to flow. Looks great!
Posted via Mobile Device
The can says to add acetone and I just used up what I had the other day. Guess I'll pick some more up. This stuff is super thick.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:50 PM   #943
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Been a busy day. Got it all painted up pretty...

Looks great huh?

Well, I did clean up the garage again and get the jimmy turned around so I can work on the passenger side.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:53 PM   #944
Low Elco

Lovin' the flake!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-04-2013, 04:59 PM   #945
Bomp

Read the whole thread.
I noticed your build when I first signed on this thing to do my own build but being a newbie I lost your thread build and didn't know how to find it again. Later on I found it but as things go never had time to thoroughly read through and enjoy your whole build.
Glad to report I read and totally enjoyed it. Thread, writting, figuring out how to do sheet metal, Christmas gifts and killing a lobster. and much more.
Its taken me 3.5 days to go through. Looking at pics, lookin back to see if I missed anything, distractions pulling me away, broken foot and all the stuff that goes with that, super bowl, yada yada yada. Return to keep reading on. Re-study the pics. Im not much of a book reader but this build has me hooked.
At the beginning of my build someone had said to me,"Man, you don't know the meaning of the word fear". I have to say that was one of the first things I thought of when I started reading your build. You Sir are the man. Fear in not in your vocabulary.
Definitely Subscribed!!!!
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:11 AM   #946
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Lovin' the flake!
Posted via Mobile Device
Awesome isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomp View Post
Read the whole thread.
I noticed your build when I first signed on this thing to do my own build but being a newbie I lost your thread build and didn't know how to find it again. Later on I found it but as things go never had time to thoroughly read through and enjoy your whole build.
Glad to report I read and totally enjoyed it. Thread, writting, figuring out how to do sheet metal, Christmas gifts and killing a lobster. and much more.
Its taken me 3.5 days to go through. Looking at pics, lookin back to see if I missed anything, distractions pulling me away, broken foot and all the stuff that goes with that, super bowl, yada yada yada. Return to keep reading on. Re-study the pics. Im not much of a book reader but this build has me hooked.
At the beginning of my build someone had said to me,"Man, you don't know the meaning of the word fear". I have to say that was one of the first things I thought of when I started reading your build. You Sir are the man. Fear in not in your vocabulary.
Definitely Subscribed!!!!
Dude! Made my day. I'm glad you enjoy it. I've had a lot of fun (when I'm not sanding) and learned a lot doing it. Fear is most definitely in my vocabulary.

Courage is not the lack of fear but the ability to face it."
---- Lt. John B. Putnam Jr. (1921-1944)
And I'd go one step further and say, "and move forward."

Many times along this build I had to ask myself, "what's the worst that can happen?" My biggest one is still yet to be seen. Painting the outside of the body. The paint I chose is about the absolute worst possible choice a newby can make for a 1st time paint job. It could turn out splotchy, uneven, terrible orange peel, huge runs, I'll bump it with my shirt, air hose, hands, whatever. BUT, I think I can overcome those things, so I'll push on. As far as cutting up metal, or experimenting with things like the black chrome look, I always had options for other parts, or I could find/buy replacements, if what I tried didn't work out.

And I remember my goals for this project, which is just to make it look decent and be fun to play with and drive. That allows me to look past my mistakes and accept things as-is when someone else that is building their "dream truck" would not be able to do that.

I already built my dream truck. It was a modest dream, but it turned out better than I had hoped. I think this project is surpassing my wildest expectations also.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:58 PM   #947
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Finished up the small scale version tonight. One of my better efforts for a model. BTW, the spare tire wheel is not gold, its silver, just reflecting the gold off it.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:08 AM   #948
71swb4x4

Nice hood mod on the model.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:36 PM   #949
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71swb4x4 View Post
Nice hood mod on the model.
Yessir.

Went back to work on the full scale version. Didn't really accomplish a lot, but things that needed to be done got done. Stripped paint from the top of the bed rail, and at the bottom of the bedside forward of the wheel well. Just hadn't been done yet. Still need to get the inside edge of the bed rail yet.

Then I went through about half a mile of tape on the door jamb area. Couldn't open the door for the pic because of the plastic.

I did get a long board and scuffed over the whole side of the jimmy just to give me an idea of how much filler work there is to do and surprisingly, there isn't a lot. I'm not thrilled with how the edge around the wheel well looks, but I'll try and get it as smooth as possible. I think the bright color paint will hide a lot.

One thing I need to make a decision on is fender emblems. Passenger side fender has holes, driver side doesn't. I think I'd like to use them. Clean 'em up and spray like I did the grill. And I have to remember to fill the holes that are on the bedsides for side moulding. I decided to leave the cut outs from the front edge of the wheel wells for tire clearance. I figure it may need that in the future.

As for the future of this build, I don't think I've really talked about it here yet. This project is far from done. Even after paint and reassembly. All of the work so far is really just setting me up a base to build from. This truck is going to be my toy to try out anything new I want. I have plans to re-do the suspension to a link style set up with coils or coil-over shocks. Probably a 4 link in the back, and 3 link in front. A full cage will tie into the frame. Probably going to have to do some frame boxing/strengthening, stronger cross members, etc. Skid plates of course. I'm dreaming of a baja style truck. Not full competition, but a blast to drive, on or off road, with the looks of the 70's still in place. Wheels and tires will need to be changed, axles either swapped or rebuilt for more strength. Lots of future experimentation.

Short term goal is to get her painted and back on the road as a driver. Have some fun, do some cruising, show off a bit. I have a bout 4 months before summer really shows up. Hopefully thats enough.

Last edited by hgs_notes; 02-06-2013 at 11:50 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:55 AM   #950
Bomp

Good job on the small version.
I've been gathering rolls of tape for when "Bompenstein" gets to that stage.
Looks great keep it up.
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote