The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-26-2012, 06:11 PM   #1001
gdavis

Re: Over 25 Years Later, Finally My 71 C-10 Truck Build

The body work on your firewall looks like someone used concrete. But Rome wasn't built in one day. Good luck
gdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 06:16 PM   #1002
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdavis View Post
The body work on your firewall looks like someone used concrete. But Rome wasn't built in one day. Good luck
Whatever troll.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:51 PM   #1003
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

I'm planning on bringing the truck to its first show. More for the convenience of driving in and having the room to put swap meet finds into than anything. I wanted to do this one last year but it just wasn't ready. So if any of you people are in the area and go to the show/swap, find me and say hi.
http://clubs.hemmings.com/autorestor.../Flyer2012.pdf
Old 09-05-2012, 03:00 PM   #1004
Low Elco

Wow, someone without a build thread, pics of their own, or much of a post count certainly has a lot of shat to talk. Keep enjoying what you've built, hgs. Other dude, piss up a rope.
Posted via Mobile Device
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:21 PM   #1005
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Wow, someone without a build thread, pics of their own, or much of a post count certainly has a lot of shat to talk. Keep enjoying what you've built, hgs. Other dude, piss up a rope.
Posted via Mobile Device
Just a guess, but he may have been looking at early pics in the thread of my cab after sand blasting which gave the few spots of filler a rough cast look, then he just posted without seeing how far this build actually got.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:31 PM   #1006
Low Elco

Possibly, but there's something to be Said for tact and class, and you didn't deserve that.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-11-2012, 11:35 PM   #1007
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

If I am going to park this thing at a show and by show cars, I will probably have to open the hood. There are some things under my hood that could use some cleaning up, well ok, all of it really. I took a few minutes today to try and improve a few things, but it's a work in progress. I think it's much better anyway.

First I cleaned up some of my wiring for the EFI. I added some more of that plastic covering to camoflage it a bit, a few more wire ties and its better.

I sprayed a little paint on the throttle linkage, so its not brown rusty dirty metal now.

I also touched up a few spots on the brake booster/master cylinder. I went to NAPA and got a new air filter. BTW, their 2096 fits a 14" air cleaner and only cost me like $8.

Then I found a wire clamp to hold the main harness behind the driver side headlight, added a wire tie or 2 and some pieces of black tape to clean up the wiring there, and by the battery too. The wiring in that area is kind of a mess because the harness is splitting up for the lights, voltage regulator, alternator, etc. I just hid it as much as I could. (pics didn't turn out, too dark). Then I used some 409 to clean it up, some swiffer dusters to grab as much dust as possible (I've been down some dirt roads/driveways) and called it a day.

Better than it was, thats for sure...

I'll get the outside washed and buffed up pretty before sunday. I've put over 600 miles on it and even though I've washed it and cleaned it, you can tell it's been driven.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:56 AM   #1008
Low Elco

Ooooooh, spiffy! Looks nice!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-12-2012, 06:36 PM   #1009
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:51 PM   #1010
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Ooooooh, spiffy! Looks nice!
Posted via Mobile Device
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
Thanks guys.

I never built to be a show winner, just so it would look good enough to be parked there. That bigass brake set up under the hood takes away from the looks. My wiring and tubing isn't that well run compared to others I've seen. I probably should have clear coated the intake manifold before I installed the engine. It's clean and pretty much stock looking and is not as bad of a mess as it could have been.

I want to paint the studs for the brake booster to firewall bracket, and the bolt heads for the hood hinges.

I still have things to finish in the cab yet like hooking up the heater controls, the washer pump, floor mats, touch up the steering column.

Still need to do exhaust, adjust the e-brake cables, etc.

The problem is that I'm enjoying driving it too much, and I have the Jimmy project I've been working on also. I've always procrastinated on the details. I'll get to them eventually.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:47 PM   #1011
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Just doing a little more detailing and clean up. Checked out my heater controls and everything seems to be hooked up ok, but the fan only runs in low speed. I wonder if the problem is that little switch thing on the back or just dirty contacts or something. No heater hoses to the core, but I just want it to blow air to unfog if needed.

I figured out a quick simple way to paint some of the bolt heads under the hood without getting overspray all over and not having to tape everything up. I used an air filter box and cut it up to fit over the bolts I needed to paint. First I did the hood hinges...

Then used a different piece of the box to go over the brake booster bolts...

It worked great and on each shield I just needed to flip it over to do the opposite side.

After that I just washed the truck. I'm using a wash/wax mix that I hope works out well. It was dark when I finished so I might need to touch up some spots, but it looked ok when I got it back in the garage. A tip I learned from the body shop is to use compressed air to blow dry areas of the truck that will drain for a while and cause water spots, like the grill/headlights, wheels, body joints, etc. And when I opened the hood I found that a LOT of water leaks in there and will leave spots on the inner fenders, radiator support, etc. and need to be wiped down for a nicer finished look too. My truck was always such a beater before that when I did wash it I really didn't care about anything besides getting the bugs and bird crap off from it along with the thick layer of dust/dirt. This time I wanted it to look nice, if even just for this weekend.

Gratuitous truck pics ...

Those look like awesome burnout marks into the garage, but just wet tires.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:53 PM   #1012
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

My first car show is over. No awards or prizes, non expected, although my wife thinks it should have won everything. On the way to St Peter I was thinking about the last time this truck had been more than about 20 miles from the house. I believe it was sometime in 1996. Today was 50 miles each way and it ran terrific, which was really the highlight of my day. As we came to the top of the hill overlooking St Peter, inside I was yelling "yeah, I made it to St Peter!"

We got parked, wiped the bugs off the front, registered, then spent the next couple hours in the swap area. I found a GM Performance air cleaner and valve cover breather to match my valve covers, $12 for the pair. I got a framed ad pic of a 67 stepper, 2" lift blocks to level the jimmy (the 1" I had were not enough) and a bottle cart for a cutting torch ( I have everything but the bottles now).

I hardly spent any time around my truck the whole day, so if any board members stopped to look and talk, I'm sorry I missed you. There were 5 or more other 67-72 trucks there. All were pretty nice.

No problems on the drive home. And when we got to New Ulm I pulled over and told my wife to drive to the store from there. She was nervous, it has changed dramatically since the last time she was behind the wheel. The first time she hit the throttle it jumped and she squeeled, huge grin. Then a beautiful smile the rest of the trip through town. When we got to the store I asked her if she would drive that to work if she could? She just smiled and nodded. She drove it to work as a daily driver back in 1993 when we lived in Owatonna and my oldest girl was our only child. She may not have driven it since about 1996.

Its been a good day. One for the books.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:42 PM   #1013
Frizzle Fry

Nice! Truck looks great! The detail work makes such a difference. Congrats!
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:44 PM   #1014
67cheby
67cheby

Congrats on getting to show it ! Can't wait to do the same
Posted via Mobile Device
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:39 PM   #1015
Mike Bradbury

Feels nice to have a successful long road trip, that is until you look at the gas bill!

Project: Barn Raising http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=414961

Project: 30 Be Low https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=830583
Mike Bradbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:48 PM   #1016
Mike Bradbury

What was your MPG by the way?

Old 09-17-2012, 08:01 AM   #1017
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry View Post
Nice! Truck looks great! The detail work makes such a difference. Congrats!
Thanks! Details schmetails.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67cheby View Post
Congrats on getting to show it ! Can't wait to do the same
Posted via Mobile Device
Honestly, the best part of the day was the drive and time I spent with my wife. Thats the part you are REALLY going to love. I don't think we spent more than 20-30 minutes by the truck once we parked and cleaned it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bradbury View Post
Feels nice to have a successful long road trip, that is until you look at the gas bill!
Quote:
What was your MPG by the way?
I really don't know. I put about 13 gallons in on 9/7. That didn't fill it. There is still gas in it. Might be as low as 10 mpg, as high as 12-15. When I drove it regularly with the carb it got 10 mpg. It always ran too rich, performance cam, driving style, etc all contributed to that. Not much has changed

I think about the cost of fuel on a classic car/truck like the saying for expensive trinkets. If you have to ask the price, you can't afford it. Its just the cost of having those feelings, the enjoyment and memories that I'm not going to get from 50,000 miles per year in my company car at 33 mpg.

Once I finish the exhaust and get the closed loop O2 sensor installed, and a good tune on it, I plan on tracking the mpg to see what, if any, improvement I get with the EFI. The problem I forsee is that I can't keep my foot out of it because I love the way it sounds when it doesn't upshift until about 4000 rpm.

There's another swap meet next month I might go to. Maybe I'll take the truck for a before test to see where its at now. It's about 100 miles away.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:31 AM   #1018
Low Elco

Great story. It's cool that your lady digs it. Definitely drive it to the swap! LBT can be thirsty, but thats because I enjoy the 1-2 bark!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-17-2012, 08:48 AM   #1019
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
but thats because I enjoy the 1-2 bark!
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm with ya there buddy.

She has always liked my truck. The night we met (7/10/1987) we were at a bar (celebrating my birthday the following day), we drank (a couple), we danced (scary, I know right?) but I decided to go play some pool at another bar and left (playing hard to get). She was with my co-workers wife (the match maker) there and another girl they worked with. About half an hour after I started playing, she showed up at the pool hall/bar. They drove around until they spotted my truck. We have been together ever since.

And now when she wants to get out of the house, she says "wanna go for a ride?" We put the windows down, hit the 2 lane and listen to the exhaust note (she likes that high rpm shift also) and the wind blowing. Now after 25 years together, we have our "dates" at the grocery store, or walmart, or a pizza place.

My kids are 15, 16 and 20. Its all about alone time now, where ever that may be. nudge, nudge, no what I mean? Say no more!
Old 09-17-2012, 09:02 AM   #1020
Low Elco

That's a cool story! My wife says that's why I couldn't mess around on her, everyone knows my truck, and they're too loud too sneak around! X2 on alone time, ours are 10&12, they're hard to dodge! My wife likes LBT, though, I had a show quality 85 stepper when we were dating, and she really liked that truck. Glad it's all good for you. Get the blazer going and go drift blasting this winter with the kids!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-22-2012, 12:59 AM   #1021
longbed67

What a nice clean simple truck! I like it! What kind of exhaust are you planning on running?

My 1967 C10 - Turbo 250 Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=485843

(608) 214-8706
longbed67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:45 AM   #1022
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Get the blazer going and go drift blasting this winter with the kids!Posted via Mobile Device
I'm working on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbed67 View Post
What a nice clean simple truck! I like it! What kind of exhaust are you planning on running?
Thanks. I like it too. My vision for this truck all along has been what it is now. Simple and fun driver. BTW, yours is one of my favorite builds. I almost bought a 69 4x4 a few years ago with a straight 6 thinking turbo right away. I can't wait to hear it running and see how it all works out.

The exhaust I think is 2.25" stainless. Out of the headers, through the X type crossover, through the mufflers (placement undecided yet, either under the cab or between the trailing arms) and then over the axle and side exit. I have the crossover installed now with clamps and mufllers with just short sections of tubing so I can drive it. I have the stainless tail pipes in hand too. I have flowmaster 40's now and although they sound bad ass, I don't like the drone at idle in gear. It makes the rear window buzz its so loud. I might switch to a sonic turbo style which is what I had before and what I have on the jimmy. I like the sound of them and they are cheap, unless they are stainless, then they are a far cry from cheap. I'll weld it all out this winter when I know I won't be driving it for a while.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:47 AM   #1023
longbed67

I really like the side exit on the exhaust, for some reason the rear exit on these trucks just doesnt look as nice.

My 1967 C10 - Turbo 250 Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=485843

(608) 214-8706
longbed67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:09 AM   #1024
Mike Bradbury

I need to paint my letters on my tailgate, yours looks so good.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:52 AM   #1025
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
I need to paint my letters on my tailgate, yours looks so good.
I used the stick on kind from LMC. I had the painters install them so I didn't screw 'em up all crooked and wrinkly.