The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-19-2015, 04:33 PM   #101
Kim57

Re: 55*6BT My 55 w/ Cummins power

Looking good.
Nice find on the stereo.
Kim
Old 10-27-2015, 04:07 PM   #102
II_Slow

Cut out the old patch panels - worse than I thought underneath. Still plenty of good metal around the perimeter.

It's just metal - right. Laid out a full-sized patch panel on poster board. Cut to fit, marked my bend lines, trasferred it to heavy sheetmetal. A little massaging and tweaking and it fits pretty good.

Just need to decide how much of the old floor to remove, rust treat the brace, and burn it in. Not sure how much to weld, and how much to rely on seam sealer. I'll plow through a few build treads and any other referenced I can find. If you have a recommendation on reference material/links - feel free to jump in.
II_Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 08:28 AM   #103
Kim57

Looks good.
When I did mine I replaced the whole floor and fire wall.
I stitched it solid all the way around.
Lots of work but I think it's worth it.
Kim
Old 10-28-2015, 09:32 AM   #104
Chance48

Love it man! Nice work. I learn a lot from watching others builds and also get nervous applying it to my future build. Gotta hang tough is the only attitude.

Great job, can't wait to see it finished.

Chance
Chance48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 11:29 AM   #105
II_Slow

Still have the bed off so I can get to the back of the cab to do the cab corners and some other rot along the bottom. I made a lot of progress on the passenger side while I was off this week. Replaced both ends of the rockers since there was some pinholes and the lower lip had a lot of missing material. Fugured I would do my learning on the passenger side since I wouldn't see it every day!

The cab corner pulls back some so the shut line on the door looks better now than in this picture, and the rocker is not "nested" in this picture.

No patches for the back of the cab so I bent up my own. Not bad for first attempt.

Put her in a cruising configuration so I could drive it around a little better - the front sheet metal has never been secured since the doors were not on and I could not align the fenders.

Old 11-16-2015, 05:25 PM   #106
Kim57

Coming along nicely.
Kim
Old 12-28-2015, 12:12 PM   #107
II_Slow

Still trying to trudge on through the inglorious metal work on the cab. I did finish the cab corner on the PS, and the rocker is ready to weld in when I can get another pair of hands helping seat it properly while I weld it in. The passenger side floor is done except one spot that I want to do from the bottom. I plated over the corner, just need to weld it in.

The firewall is mostly complete. I have to re-do the cooling lines on the transmission and set up the gear indicator before I seal up the rest of the transmission tunnel. And that last piece will be tricky to pattern and cut!

Still a lot of work to do on the DS but with what I learned onthe PS I think it will go faster. I have some work to do on the DS door before I hang it, and can't do the corner and rocker until the door is hung.
Old 12-28-2015, 06:14 PM   #108
Kim57

Looks good.
Kim
Old 01-04-2016, 06:02 PM   #109
II_Slow

Alrighty then. The hump is done, passenger floor, toe board, firewall, cab corner, and rocker is done. Driver's side just about all cut out. It somehow looks less menacing with the floor out than with the rusty floor in place. Still hoping to get the door repaired and hung soon so I can do the cab corner and rocker on that side. I think I'll cut a half inch or so off of the new cab corner so that area to be welded won't overlay the cab where the old replacement cab corner was brazed on. The MIG welder doesn't seem to like brass! The previous owner just brazed patch panels right over the old rust - didn't bother cutting anything out or fitting the new stuff. Anything to seal up the cab I suppose.

Had a little excitement Saturday when I caught a moving blanket on fire under the truck while I was welding. Had to grab it by the corner and drag it out of the shop. Thank goodness it was warm and I had the doors open! Still stunk the whole place up for a while but no damage done.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:56 PM   #110
Kim57

trans tunnel looks good.
I caught a stool I was sitting on on fire once. Hot spark landed between my legs and I didn't notice until I saw the flames.
Kim
Old 01-11-2016, 04:03 PM   #111
II_Slow

Mounted the wiper motor (from Raingear) to make sure it cleared the transmission tunnel, cut out the rest of the rust on the driver's side floor and toe board. It was much worse than I thought it was after removing the remainder of the patch panels - but nothing I can't handle. Also connected up the boost tubes to run it with the turbo connected and sorted out the power steering issue. Everything was plumbed properly (found a friend with a Dodge truck with hydoboost for comparison), but for some reason it just would not take power steering fluid without rev'ing the engine. After I figured that out, I had to top it off several times before it finally stopped taking fluid. Now the power steering turns easily lock-to-lock. Brakes still pulsate a little, but getting better all the time so I think maybe there is still a little air in the system working it's way out. Just pecking away at it a little at a time. Also have someone coming to look things over and give me an estimate on doing some of the body work in parallel with my metal work. If that pans out, it will help immensely.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:08 PM   #112
Kim57

Sounds like you're making good progress.
Any pics of the wiper motor?
Kim
Old 01-22-2016, 02:18 PM   #113
II_Slow

Driver's side door on for the first time in probably 30 years. Truck was last inspected in early '80's and had a Reagan-Bush sticker on the back glass.

DS floor complete, putting a new floor in underneath the seat (that area has been raised 3 inches to clear the frame). I need to get the door hung better and then I can do the cab corner and rocker. Should have the cab ready for primer in a few more weeks. I'm sick of the metal work!

I have some help on the body work now so hopefully that will put me back on schedule. He works a lot faster than I do, and sounds like he will be flexible in scheduling his work around me. He just finished my brother's car and it came out very nice so I know he does good work.

Sure be glad when mine is that shiney!!
Old 01-22-2016, 05:28 PM   #114
Kim57

Nice looking Camaro.
Kim
Old 01-25-2016, 02:29 PM   #115
ambryatim

Looking good II Slow....could we get some pics of the firewall inside the engine bay??? How deep did you end up going with the firewall??

Thanks
ambryatim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 04:36 PM   #116
II_Slow

ambryatim,
I can get some pictures next time I am down there. It was cut a little over-sized initially and I am adding material back and following the contours of the engine (turbo, valve covers, etc.). It set's WAY back - like 2.5 cylinders back behind the firewall. The transmission tunnel conflicts with the dash so the dash has been notched to fit. Actually still have some more trimming to do before the dash goes all the way into place. I have a big radiator, A/C condenser, and intercooler that all have to squeeze in there and it is still crowded.

I have the fenders back on now to clearance the inner fenders for the boost tubes and mount the intercooler. I bought a cheap piping kit off of e-bay but the clamps and boots are junk so I need to do something different. It's a lot of crap to stuff under the hood and do it right.

The body guy took away all of the bed parts to prep them at his place then they'll come back here for assembly. We had to resort to using a port-a-power yesterday to get the gaps wider on the driver's side door. Looks like we have it close enough now to do the cab corner and step. The weather is shaping up to be crazy good this weekend (70-degrees or more) so I'm taking off Friday and will likely spend a lot of time on it Saturday and Sunday.

My original schedule had me in the "paint jail" for 3 months, but I'm pretty sure Ben will get me in and out pretty quickly. Right now, my metal work on the cab is likely the gating action on paint. Hoping to get that done by this time next month and hopefully painted in March.

Spent last weekend cutting and fitting the cover for the raised area beneath the seats and cosmetic panels for each side. Lots of welding to do now. Fabbed some sleeves to relocate the rear cab mount bolts to the level of the "new" floor because the cab will have to come off for any major repairs down the road.
Old 01-26-2016, 07:50 PM   #117
ambryatim

Thanks II Slow....yeppers I am looking forward to this weekend too. Going to start cleaning up just 24v 6BT and get it ready for new bearings, rings and gaskets. I have an old block that I am going to use for mock up while I am rebuilding the engine. Gotta long way to go.
ambryatim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 12:46 PM   #118
II_Slow

More progress, but more issues as well. Got the DD cab corner where I'm happy with it, but the gap on the lower door is good on both ends, wide in the middle. Used a straight edge to confirm the bow was in the door and not the rocker. Quit on that and moved to intercooler installation, but the bottom of the intercooler is hitting the steering box. Not enough room between the A/C condenser and the core support to move the intercooler up. Will cut the radiator mounts and move the radiator about a half inch and try again. It's never easy.
Old 02-08-2016, 11:41 AM   #119
II_Slow

Finally got happy with the intercooler mounting, Had to move the radiator back another 3/4-inch and clearance the fan hub to clear the fans. The intercooler would not go back further because it was hitting the steering box, and would not move up because it was hitting the hood release. Clearanced the brackets and modified the release and after the radiator relocation and it all fits great now. Boost tubes just fit between the radiator tanks and the inner fenders. The factory turbo exit flange was not a true 90-degree bend so the boost tubes were interfering inner fenders, but Cummins makes a true 90-degree flange so I ordered one last week, should arrive today. The intake side needs a custom boost tube, so I have checked with a couple of suppliers that will custom fab one, but if they cost too much I'll just buy a flange for $20 and use pieces from my boost tube kit to make my own (subbing out the aluminum welding - can't do that myself). Just need to get an air filter and windshield washer reservoir mounted and will be done under the hood except for cosmetics - a beauty panel over the radiator and smoothing the firewall.

Looks like a 4BT in there. Two more cylinders beyond the firewall. 14 inches of setback!
Old 02-08-2016, 11:53 AM   #120
II_Slow

Finally got happy with the intercooler mounting, Had to move the radiator back another 3/4-inch and clearance the fan hub to clear the fans. The intercooler would not go back further because it was hitting the steering box, and would not move up because it was hitting the hood release. Clearanced the brackets and modified the release and after the radiator relocation and it all fits great now. Boost tubes just fit between the radiator tanks and the inner fenders. The factory turbo exit flange was not a true 90-degree bend so the boost tubes were interfering inner fenders, but Cummins makes a true 90-degree flange so I ordered one last week, should arrive today. The intake side needs a custom boost tube, so I have checked with a couple of suppliers that will custom fab one, but if they cost too much I'll just buy a flange for $20 and use pieces from my boost tube kit to make my own (subbing out the aluminum welding - can't do that myself). Just need to get an air filter and windshield washer reservoir mounted and will be done under the hood except for cosmetics - a beauty panel over the radiator and smoothing the firewall.

Looks like a 4BT in there. Three cylinder beyond the firewall. 14 inches of setback!
Old 02-08-2016, 08:32 PM   #121
Patience

With the cylinders way back under there, what is the easiest way for maintenance, etc?

This is something I've been trying to figure out since decided I wanted a 12V in my 59. Any thoughts would be very helpful! Thanks!
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 09:22 PM   #122
Purcell69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patience View Post
With the cylinders way back under there, what is the easiest way for maintenance, etc?

This is something I've been trying to figure out since decided I wanted a 12V in my 59. Any thoughts would be very helpful! Thanks!
I would imagine it's a bit like maintenance on the newer Ford pickups, lift the cab off the frame, enough to access what needs attention.

-Joe
Old 02-08-2016, 10:31 PM   #123
6BT 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patience View Post

They don't have to be set back at all if your willing to sacrifice the I/C. Mine is in my mine without touching the firewall.
New 2018 ram 3500 drw 4x4. Makes my 2005 Look as if it's been running on 4 cyl since new !
My Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556908
6BT 56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:16 AM   #124
II_Slow

Yeah I've seen them squeezed into the factory engine bay with either an intercooler delete, or I suppose you could relocate it. I also went with an oversized radiator and A/C condesnser so everything had to move back a bunch. I intend to drive mine anywhere and everywhere, including pulling a trailer and cranking the power up to about 300 or so (which is about 700 ft-lbs of torque) so I couldn't compromise on the radiator or IC. I also have a 2004 Super Duty, and if (no, make that WHEN) you have to do major maintenance on it then it is standard practice to lift the cab. I am trying to lay mine out so that the cab can be lifted if needed. Being a 12-V Cummins, it seriously shouldn't need much but it is mechanical so things can break. I drove the engine donor truck from 1994-2012 or so and never touched the engine - just routine maintenance, a water pump, and a couple of Throttle Position Sensors. The transmission is actually a bigger concern than the engine, and the cab would have to be lifted to service it as well. You don't have to remove the cab, just raise it and block it up 4-6 inches - of course the front sheetmetal has to be removed, or lifted with it. Everything is a trade-off, I figured I would drive it everyday and work on it very seldom, so build it to the rule (driveability) rather than the exception (servicability). Also gave up a lot to get the stance where I wanted it. It's about 8-1/2" from the floor to the rockers, and a little rake back-to-front. With that late model 3/4-ton fre frame, I had to raise the floor under the seat, and raise the bed floor. But you can't compromise too much on stance. That's not an option!
Old 02-09-2016, 09:27 AM   #125
Kim57

Coming along nicely.
Kim