The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-09-2018, 07:52 PM   #1
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: Anyone running CB's in their truck these days?

I had a Radio Shack TRC-421. If the mike plug was disconnected from the radio body, the transmitter was keyed [ON]. Plug it back in and the Mic went on with the Mic button, only. Without a 50 Ohm load this would burn up the final stage. Not sure if any other make or model does that, but beware.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 02:59 AM   #2
70cst

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine View Post
I had a Radio Shack TRC-421. If the mike plug was disconnected from the radio body, the transmitter was keyed [ON]. Plug it back in and the Mic went on with the Mic button, only. Without a 50 Ohm load this would burn up the final stage. Not sure if any other make or model does that, but beware.
I have a Radio Shack TRC 465 and it is a great little talker. I use it in the wife's van when we go on long trips.

Radio Shack made some very good radios.
Attached Images

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 06:24 PM   #3
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cst View Post
I have a Radio Shack TRC 465 and it is a great little talker. I use it in the wife's van when we go on long trips.

Radio Shack made some very good radios.
Oh Yeah. Good rigs. Just mine had that one idiosyncracy. I noticed it when my remote speaker squeeled ear-splitting feedback as I swapped a stock dynamic mike for a noise-cancelling, preamped mike -- while energized. Antenna was hooked up though, so the Blue Smoke'' didn't get out.

Sadly, the Shack has gone hooves up in these parts, and their online catalog lists no CB radios.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 03-10-2018 at 06:32 PM.
Old 03-25-2018, 11:33 PM   #4
bbrriiaann1973

Don't they make a cb/radio in one unit so you don't have to mount one under the dash?
Old 03-26-2018, 12:29 PM   #5
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrriiaann1973 View Post
Don't they make a cb/radio in one unit so you don't have to mount one under the dash?
The factory didn’t make the combo platter until the squarebody era, and they don’t fit in 67-72 without a little cutting. Vettes, Trans Ams, Cadillacs had them as an option - probably many others as well. Cool units, just not ideal for a factory look in a 67-72. There are probably a few aftermarket ones available (Kraco comes to mind), but I haven’t seen one designed for the 67-72 dash opening.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 11:09 PM   #6
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrriiaann1973 View Post
They did, and they may have been OK as an AM/FM but they weren't so great as 2-Way radios. Sorta underpowered. Good if you only wanted to call the REACT monitor on 9 to ask for help [back when there still was a REACT monitor] but not much good for QSO. DX-ing forget about it.

Old 03-26-2018, 02:24 AM   #7
'68OrangeSunshine

Gettin' there.

Old 03-26-2018, 11:22 AM   #8
jeffahart

Quote:
Gettin' there.
Did you see my pics further up stream? It's in an working great!

j
Old 03-27-2018, 11:14 PM   #9
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffahart View Post
Did you see my pics further up stream? It's in an working great!

j
Yeah. I see it now. Nice rig. Antenna looks cool. [No spring?]
Is there much CB traffic in the LA area?
I used to live on the backslope of the Hollywood Hills and had great coverage of the Valley from my base. 17 was the local channel, but that was 50 years ago.

Old 03-28-2018, 11:23 AM   #10
jeffahart

Quote:
Yeah. I see it now. Nice rig. Antenna looks cool. [No spring?]
Is there much CB traffic in the LA area?
I used to live on the backslope of the Hollywood Hills and had great coverage of the Valley from my base. 17 was the local channel, but that was 50 years ago.
Yes, I have a heavy duty spring and it works great. I skipped the quick connect thing. Guess I zoomed in too close on the firering connection so the spring ain't showing.

No not much traffic, but I've learned to create traffic. People are out there. When I got my CB installed I though it wasn't receiving. I drove around and only heard static. I was very disappointed! Here's my first conversation. Oh, by the way, my call sign is "Urban Tortoise" Or "UT1". I gave myself that call sign as everyone passed me on the freeway Monday!

Anyhow, I got annoyed there was no chatter, or that my radio might not be working correctly. I picked up the mic.

Me: "Anyone out there?"
Trucker: "No one out here!"
Me: "I didn't think so! Keep on truckin'!"
Trucker: "Thank You!!"

That came in so clear, I was so happy. Now I have a had a couple short conversations with truckers. I just ask if anyones out there and they pop on and say hello. Guys I've chatted with so far are pretty cool. I'm not getting any crap about doing something wrong as far as radio etiquette. But I will morph into their ways as I expand my conversations. I'm still dipping my toe in the water, so to speak! I will try channel 15 and 17 today too. I've learned just because there's static doesn't mean no one is listening!

j
Old 03-26-2018, 12:04 PM   #11
wpavlis

Jeff - thanks for the pics and further description. Pictures are worth a thousand words!

Bill
wpavlis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 05:15 PM   #12
'68OrangeSunshine

Well, you can tune out the static with the squelch knob, if you didn't know already. But too much squelch, and you lose sensitivity to DX signals.
Good to hear the rig is working.
I would think that after some 50 years, channels would migrate and jargon would evolve.
A lot of the old '70s ''CB Lingo'' [as published] would be archaic by now. Some of it, like the Ten Code, can't change, but Police and Emercency Services codes are different from the CB usage.

Old 03-29-2018, 05:42 PM   #13
slomotion
Old Duffer

Quote:
.............. and jargon would evolve.
A lot of the old '70s ''CB Lingo'' [as published] would be archaic by now.......
I haven't been behind the wheel for about 12 years now, but even back then "Good Buddy" meant something entirely different then it did during "Smokey And The Bandit" days.
When I left we just addressed each other by "Driver" or the carrier they were driving for except when you're pointing out a potential problem. "Driver, you know your left headlight's out right?" "Driver, you know your inside rear trailer re-flap is coming apart right?" "You're going to run out of flasher-fluid." (This is if they changed lanes and the signals didn't cancel.)
Being generic doesn't pin-point a particular truck and make it too easy for DOT or a bear to single him/her out.
Don't ask for a "Smokey Report"! Just listen. If there's a Smokey, DOT, or local around they'll already be chatting about him.

Just my 2 cents worth.....

'81 G10 Shorty Van

"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." Will Rogers

"Under promise, then over achieve."
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 06:02 PM   #14
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by slomotion View Post
I haven't been behind the wheel for about 12 years now, but even back then "Good Buddy" meant something entirely different then it did during "Smokey And The Bandit" days.
When I left we just addressed each other by "Driver" or the carrier they were driving for except when you're pointing out a potential problem. "Driver, you know your left headlight's out right?" "Driver, you know your inside rear trailer re-flap is coming apart right?" "You're going to run out of flasher-fluid." (This is if they changed lanes and the signals didn't cancel.)
Being generic doesn't pin-point a particular truck and make it too easy for DOT or a bear to single him/her out.
Don't ask for a "Smokey Report"! Just listen. If there's a Smokey, DOT, or local around they'll already be chatting about him.

Just my 2 cents worth.....
Yeah, last year, after a 20-something year absence from the frequency,
I finally got my [long-lost, newly-found] NIB Radio Shack SSB/AM rig mounted in the '92 Subaru with a small mag mount as ears, and was tearing up I-10 for a gig in PHX. Around MP 184 [?] I saw the Highway Patrol stopped on the side, and tried out the rig with the traditional Smokey report: "Northbound Eye Ten, be advised, Bear on the side at MP 184, 1-8-4...'' I got a few ''Ten Rogers'', and ''Thanks'' from other units, then in less than a minute, that same white-and-blue Dept of Public Safety late model Ford Explorer was on my tail taking pictures. After about 90 seconds, long enough to run my plates, he pulled left and reset his position on the median, to clock the Southbound, I guess. So Bears got ears, now. I maintained radio silence after that.
I did read on the website "Urban Dictionary'' that "Good Buddy" has acquired a non-traditional connotation nowadays.

Old 03-30-2018, 12:45 AM   #15
toolboxchev

I have an older "Cobra" maybe??? I forget? Gotta get it mounted in.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 01:07 AM   #16
cwcarpenter98

After reading through this thread, I'm pretty sure I want to put a CB in my 63. Is there any specific radio that y'all would recommend, or is it kinda just get something in my price range and if i like the looks of it or not?

This thread has so much information, that I think I need to read through it a couple more times

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, Muncie 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350 --> Soon to be 350, Saginaw 4 speed

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 02:10 AM   #17
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 View Post
After reading through this thread, I'm pretty sure I want to put a CB in my 63. Is there any specific radio that y'all would recommend, or is it kinda just get something in my price range and if i like the looks of it or not?

This thread has so much information, that I think I need to read through it a couple more times
Get one that works, you'll be happier.
I know there are some resto-purist nuts out there, who will insist you must have only a 23 Channel rig in a 67-72 truck. If that's true you'd have to have a 10, 15 or 19 channel radio to be period correct for a '63. I didn't get into the hobby until 1968, when 23 channels were available. Prior to '68 fewer frequencies were authorized. I don't know the chronology.
I had old equipment with fewer channels [one quartz chrystal at a time]. 40 channel rigs came out in the '70s. I'd get a 40 so I could talk to anyone, if I were getting a new radio.
Get a handle and have fun.

Old 10-31-2018, 12:34 PM   #18
cwcarpenter98

Quote:
Get one that works, you'll be happier.
I know there are some resto-purist nuts out there, who will insist you must have only a 23 Channel rig in a 67-72 truck. If that's true you'd have to have a 10, 15 or 19 channel radio to be period correct for a '63. I didn't get into the hobby until 1968, when 23 channels were available. Prior to '68 fewer frequencies were authorized. I don't know the chronology.
I had old equipment with fewer channels [one quartz chrystal at a time]. 40 channel rigs came out in the '70s. I'd get a 40 so I could talk to anyone, if I were getting a new radio.
Get a handle and have fun.
Thanks for the reply, I should have been more specific. Definitely not a purist here considering my truck is made up from parts from every decade since the 60s I was thinking about getting a new CB, but since I'm new to this idea, I have no idea what to look for on a used one if I decide to go that route. It really boils down to the cost of everything driving my decisions

Overdrive wiring here

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
Old 12-31-2018, 09:49 PM   #19
70cst

Just bought this Gray 300 to use with my Kris XL50
Attached Images

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

Old 12-31-2018, 09:54 PM   #20
Coley

Quick question regarding the use of these.....does this end up being categorized as 'distracted driving' (like a cellphone) if you are using it while driving?

I wonder how the cops would approach that....but around here, I'm thinking they would hit you with a fine...unfortunately, but not sure.

all good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 10:24 PM   #21
70cst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coley View Post
Quick question regarding the use of these.....does this end up being categorized as 'distracted driving' (like a cellphone) if you are using it while driving?

I wonder how the cops would approach that....but around here, I'm thinking they would hit you with a fine...unfortunately, but not sure.

all good
Coley
Never had an issue nor have I heard of any issues … but one never knows.

Old 01-18-2020, 05:13 PM   #22
70cst

Breathing new life in this thread ...

Old 10-31-2018, 08:08 PM   #23
'68OrangeSunshine

If you buy a used CB, you'll have to take the seller's word that it works OK. Unless you know enough about electronics that you can test it yourself. Or have an expert friend.
One thing about Transceivers and 2-Way radios, if keyed without an antenna, or one without the correct 52 Ohm load, the final transmitter stage can burn up. Does not take long to "let the blue smoke out." That takes some expert internal work to fix. The older ones were more repairable -- made for that level maintenance -- the new ones are just junk if fried.
A new rig will have a warranty and be sold by a shop who will set you up with the right coax and antenna.
Buyer beware.

Old 10-31-2018, 08:14 PM   #24
cwcarpenter98

Quote:
If you buy a used CB, you'll have to take the seller's word that it works OK. Unless you know enough about electronics that you can test it yourself. Or have an expert friend.
One thing about Transceivers and 2-Way radios, if keyed without an antenna, or one without the correct 52 Ohm load, the final transmitter stage can burn up. Does not take long to "let the blue smoke out." That takes some expert internal work to fix. The older ones were more repairable -- made for that level maintenance -- the new ones are just junk if fried.
A new rig will have a warranty and be sold by a shop who will set you up with the right coax and antenna.
Buyer beware.
Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it a bunch.

I want to do it right, so I think this will be something that I need to do even more research on, and maybe hold off on for a little longer. No use in rushing to do something, just to end up doing it wrong, then having to do it again and waste time and money along the way

Overdrive wiring here

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

Old 10-31-2018, 10:35 PM   #25
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 View Post
Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it a bunch.

I want to do it right, so I think this will be something that I need to do even more research on, and maybe hold off on for a little longer. No use in rushing to do something, just to end up doing it wrong, then having to do it again and waste time and money along the way
I had pulled out the Radio Shack SSB 40 channel rig I had in the orange stepside. I still had a small mag mount stubby on the back deck tool box, and the coaxial cable coming into the cab, in case I wanted to swap the rig back in for a run. I decided to take the antenna in too. When I pulled the mag mount I found packrats had chewed off the coax as excess was dropped between the cab and bed. If I had keyed the Mic with an airgap in my line like that, my radio would've been toast.