The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-14-2013, 11:37 AM   #126
Low Elco

Re: 68 C10 SBSS build - start to finish

Vic, Vic, Vic. Poor, sad, delusional Vic. Sir, I would posit to you that folks that handle their business in the fashion that you appear to will NEVER settle for a "Driver". Can you say "scope creep"? I will begin the off-track betting over here on how long until you get disgusted and Mike Holmes this sucker to the frame! Now, it may not go back Full show like the Streak, but this won't be a beater, I'd say! Congrats on the new toy! Got your entry back from WOW yet? Can't wait to see the Streak (and you) there! Happy for ya, man.

Last edited by Low Elco; 01-14-2013 at 11:42 AM.
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:10 PM   #127
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Vic, Vic, Vic. Poor, sad, delusional Vic. Sir, I would posit to you that folks that handle their business in the fashion that you appear to will NEVER settle for a "Driver". Can you say "scope creep"? I will begin the off-track betting over here on how long until you get disgusted and Mike Holmes this sucker to the frame! Now, it may not go back Full show like the Streak, but this won't be a beater, I'd say! Congrats on the new toy! Got your entry back from WOW yet? Can't wait to see the Streak (and you) there! Happy for ya, man.
I know, I know. My wife posted some pics on her FB page yesterday along with a note saying I was going to make this a driver. A chorus of derisive laughter commenced instantly. At this point I may be in denial by believing I can tidy up a few things, make the safety and reliability fixes and wear the tires off it, but we'll see. Evil rat rod Vic is waging a fierce internal battle.

Haven't received my credentials for the WOW yet, but I just sent the entry in last Monday. Also ordered the snap tiles for the floor covering last week but they haven't shown up either. Still plenty of time. The folks at Demon Carbs said they were shipping the carb back to me last week, so I should have it back running very soon. Look forward to seeing you guys there!
Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:28 PM   #128
Xeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic1947 View Post
evil rat rod vic is waging a fierce internal battle.
lol!
Old 01-14-2013, 07:30 PM   #129
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustard72 View Post
Hoo boy. Be careful. I just started out making my 72 "more reliable" so my wife and daughter can pull a horse trailer around with it. Now the things torn all apart taking up both stalls of the garage.

Wish my driver was as cool as that one. I'll have to settle for the mighty Taurus wagon for now... Plus, I appreciate the rear window defroster, because with my "more reliable" project going on, the drivers get parked in the driveway.
Been there! Pieces everywhere and not a benchtop to be seen. Unfortunately, this acquisition will occupy the last available stall in the shop, so I'll have to take smaller bites.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:19 AM   #130
Low Elco

Wait'll the "driver" gets scattered and the Streak has to move out-for safety. Never a good day when Momma's car's out in the cold. However, I heard some positive comments in the new shop direction out of mine the other day after yeller's extended stay. I dig the beater. You gonna polish the existing wheels? 6-lug rotor disc conversion? Any big scheme now that you've had a couple days to stare at it?
Old 01-15-2013, 01:09 PM   #131
Vic1947

Quote:
Wait'll the "driver" gets scattered and the Streak has to move out-for safety. Never a good day when Momma's car's out in the cold. However, I heard some positive comments in the new shop direction out of mine the other day after yeller's extended stay. I dig the beater. You gonna polish the existing wheels? 6-lug rotor disc conversion? Any big scheme now that you've had a couple days to stare at it?
Ummm... momma's car is a Volt and the charging cord won't reach outside, so I'm gonna have to make do with the available space. Although, the more I look at the little frog, the harder it is to resist the temptation to do a vivisection. As with many "projects", the previous owners have left a lot of sin in their wake. It gives me the creepy crawlies to look at the door gaps, the sagging panels, the scabbed on patches and etc. I don't think I can drive it for very long...or even let it sit in the garage the way it is. Maybe if I'm blindfolded, I don't know. So I need to come up with a plan to paper over the worst of it. I've been mulling over swapping the bed for a fleetside since the Streak is a step. But that would immediately set me on the path to bank account destruction. I need to reuse as much as I can and use new parts only when absolutely necessary. I was thinking more along the lines of powdercoating the wheels rather than polish. Less maintenance. The PO just put new shoes and wheel cylinders on, so I plan to keep the drums for the near term. I do intend to install a power booster, though.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:21 PM   #132
Low Elco

They have that kinda chromey powder nowadays, not a bad idea. Do you like your volt?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-15-2013, 01:48 PM   #133
Low Elco

Sorry, brain short. You could have fun with the body stuff, one piece at a time, that's why God invented Epoxy primer. I'm hip on the Fleetside conversion, maybe a CL ad offering to swap? It's kinda fun having a beat down truck, saves a lot of worry. My favorite kind are the kind with a kinda beater body, but you can tell they're a really tight truck underneath. This is gonna be cool.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:52 PM   #134
Vic1947

Quote:
They have that kinda chromey powder nowadays, not a bad idea. Do you like your volt?
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes, the wife especially loves the Volt! We have a 240V charging station in the garage and it takes about 4 hours for a full charge from empty. In warm weather, it will go about 45 miles on the battery before it switches to gas, in cold weather like we've been having recently, the battery miles drop to about 35, but most errands take less than that. When you calculate the cost of the electricity versus gasoline, it averages around 135 mpg equivalent in nice weather. On gas it averages 40 mpg.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:04 PM   #135
Xeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic1947 View Post

I sent my buddy Steve Smith from Sedalia a .dxf file with a drawing of the plates I would need to cover the existing openings. He had them laser cut for me out of .063" mild steel plate.

Hey Vic could you do me a favor and introduce me to this guy because I'm going to need a piece laser cut for the Dakota Digital digital climate controller I'm getting so I can flush mount it into the old factory climate control opening in the dash.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:48 PM   #136
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeen View Post
Hey Vic could you do me a favor and introduce me to this guy because I'm going to need a piece laser cut for the Dakota Digital digital climate controller I'm getting so I can flush mount it into the old factory climate control opening in the dash.
I looked at the controller on Dakota's site and the piece you need would be easy for me to make on the mill. I have the material and tooling. Steve has a shop (not his) that does all his waterjet and laser work, so it would cost something to have them do it. If I do it, it's free. Might as well save the laser work for more complex stuff or multiple pieces.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:35 PM   #137
~Whitey~

What a great looking truck! You did a really pro job on all the metal work and I LOVE the mod you did to the side markers... I seen that done on an episode of Overhaulin' once but they left the chrome on. It looked good too, but I like how you took that off and left them flush. PRO job on everything.

Very inspirational ... beautiful beautiful truck!
Old 01-16-2013, 03:41 PM   #138
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69swb View Post
What a great looking truck! You did a really pro job on all the metal work and I LOVE the mod you did to the side markers... I seen that done on an episode of Overhaulin' once but they left the chrome on. It looked good too, but I like how you took that off and left them flush. PRO job on everything.

Very inspirational ... beautiful beautiful truck!
Thanks, Jimmy ...glad you like it. I'll be starting another build soon on a '67 small window shortbed I recently acquired. Since I bought it as a parts hauler it won't be the same level as the silver one, but I plan to at least tidy it up some. Check back soon as I hope to have some pictures up on a new thread. Later!
Old 02-05-2013, 01:21 PM   #139
Vic1947

While in the process of cleaning up the silver truck for the AutoRama, I was using compressed air to blow some of the dust out of the tight spaces underhood. Lo and behold, the rear alignment shims on the passenger side blew out onto the floor. Apparently the locknut holding that shim pack wasn't tight enough and I've been driving around with it loose. Put the shims back in their spot and applied several rounds to the nut to cinch it up good. What a stroke of luck! Based on Chip's experience with loose parts in the front end, maybe this was contributing to the very tiny remaining vibe I had after reworking the rear axle. Time for a TEST DRIVE!
Old 02-05-2013, 01:25 PM   #140
Low Elco

Ha, glad I'm not the only one! Boppa had the shims fall out of yeller a couple years ago. Put em back in, drove fine. What are you using for ropes and stanchions?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-05-2013, 01:36 PM   #141
Xeen

Yeesh it sounds like Nylock nuts might be a good idea there, it would be inconvienant if your Control arm fell off while you were driving.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:59 PM   #142
Vic1947

Quote:
Ha, glad I'm not the only one! Boppa had the shims fall out of yeller a couple years ago. Put em back in, drove fine. What are you using for ropes and stanchions?
Posted via Mobile Device
No ropes or stanchions ...if folks want to walk around it, let 'em have at it. Most people at these events know the protocol and ropes won't stop the ones that don't. I found some of those interlocking plastic tiles like Race Deck online. I'll lay them down in a checkerboard pattern (black/gray) and call it good for display adornment. Kathy's going to be in Florida that weekend, so I plan to be at the show most of the time. If I can setup my lawn chair within sight of the truck, maybe I can corral the slackers. Nah, probably not.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:03 PM   #143
Low Elco

Right on, we're supposed to be there at 6. Holler if you need help with the tiles! I've never done this before at a big indoor deal. Guess we'll see. Glad you found the shim problem!
Old 02-05-2013, 02:04 PM   #144
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeen View Post
Yeesh it sounds like Nylock nuts might be a good idea there, it would be inconvienant if your Control arm fell off while you were driving.
Actually it has brand new Nylocks on all four studs. Tech must have gotten distracted and not tightened the one up entirely. Like one of the forum guys says, "Screws fall out all the time, it's an imperfect world." I'm just thrilled I found it before it became a real problem.

BTW, I'm headed down to see Wesley about your 5.3 this afternoon. I'll let you know how it went when I return.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:06 PM   #145
Xeen

Awesome, thanks again Vic I really appreciate this, is the business very far from your house?
Call me when you get back I will be here.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:08 PM   #146
Vic1947

Quote:
Right on, we're supposed to be there at 6. Holler if you need help with the tiles! I've never done this before at a big indoor deal. Guess we'll see. Glad you found the shim problem!
Looking forward to it! Last one of these we entered was maybe 20 years ago in Houston. It's a bit of work, but I've always enjoyed it.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:47 PM   #147
Vic1947

Time is running short for move-in to the AutoRama. But at the last minute I decided to go ahead and make a filler panel for the hood I've been contemplating for awhile.

Homemade dimple die plus scrap .040' aluminum sheet equals filler panel. Reason for the filler panel is that it covers an area that's tough to get into with the paint gun. Never was real happy with the finish back in there so I thought I'd give this a try. No time before the show to get the panel anodized, so it will have to wait till later.

Test drive was good, didn't notice any vibe, but I only went about a mile out on the four lane, so we'll see. Tomorrow on the way to Bartle Hall should be plenty of time to find out for sure.
Attached Images

Old 02-06-2013, 07:01 PM   #148
67cheby
67cheby

Nice !
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:20 PM   #149
Low Elco

Ooooooh! Nice! We'll be over in the dirty truck area!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-06-2013, 08:39 PM   #150
Vic1947

Quote:
Ooooooh! Nice! We'll be over in the dirty truck area!
Posted via Mobile Device
You better not be!!! Yeller deserves a nice spot. Besides, it sounds like you've been laying down the elbow grease to get ready. Hope the rain ends early tomorrow morning. Otherwise, I'll have to creep into downtown doing 5mph.