The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-20-2014, 07:22 AM   #1501
Grizz1963

Re: Not Another Rebuild Thread....

Thanks for the update.

Really felt for you guys but also pleased you broke the cycle. Sometimes that really helps.

Pity about the short cut slope action, but even that can go in as part of the healing.

I will phone you some time. Still trying to find the items I want to call about, but they are a bit evasive.
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:53 AM   #1502
Zane M

I'm glad you and the Missus got a chance for a getaway. I'm sorry to hear she got hurt.

I was getting a little worried here, your thread fell off the first page. LOL.
Zane M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:38 PM   #1503
Bomp

Always nice to take a few steps back or go on a road trip and have a breather.

A buddy of mine once told me, "you ain't havin fun if you ain't broke nuthin'" Sorry to hear about your wifeys bad sprain. Overall sounds like you two had a fun time.

Wish you had more on that snow rig..... Im all curious and stuff.

Definitely getting way close to the finish line.
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 01:07 AM   #1504
piratexpress1369a

tell her to rest up and heal quickly ..it is always good to step away and take some time

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post5457281
piratexpress1369a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:35 AM   #1505
Low Elco

Awww Maaaaannnn... sounded like a good party up till then! Thanks for the reminder, need to schedule something like that for me and Momma. Hope she heals soon.

We finally broke freezing this week and I've been getting stuff done. Momma actually said she could see a difference in me just getting back in the shop a little. Winter sux.

Hijack over, everybody back to work!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:11 AM   #1506
clemdaddy

welcome home from the ski trip, hope the misses is feeling better.
i think one of the best things we all do on this forum is share our lives. lets us connect with more than just the truck obsession. you, my friend, have a very interesting and rich life... you've done stuff that i will never get to experience but maybe just a little because you share your stories with us. thanks murph...

now fire up the heat in the frozen garage and get some fenders going.
clemdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:28 AM   #1507
Jeff La

Hope the wife recovers quickly, and glad ya'll got some away time
Jeff La is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:53 AM   #1508
McMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1963c-10 View Post
The closing panel clips are available from classic parts. The build is going great. Always interested to see what new you come up.
Got them, actually they are in the first photo below !! Thanks !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modges'66 View Post
I am sorry to hear the heart-wrenching story of weekend escapade, I truly hope that your wife is healing quickly.
It is all too important to make time to spend between you both.
I am sorry to hear that the expectations fell a bit shy...
It seems like you will still have some memories to fall back on, none the less!
Not too long from now you will laugh about it together.
Now, get to work on your truck!!!!
Things like that happen...it was funny too, because a run or two prior she made a comment about me not having fun skiing. I said I dont ski anymore, I just baby sit... then bam!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modges'66 View Post
BTW, very cool shots of the '60-something snow-cat truck...Very cool!!!
I wish the snow between the road and the truck wasnt 4 feet deep, I would have gotten some close ups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post
I like what you’ve done with the front fender markers. I never realized 69 Pontiacs made such a compact offering. I fell in love with the round 68 Mopar marker lights the first time I saw them. Years later I installed a set on my 67 Chevelle.

The nose of your front fenders are turning out nice. I had to do mine as well, because the inner curved piece was so badly malformed you could stick a pencil in the square corner gaps! I just used JB Weld after sandblasting the seams/gaps. I sure wish I had taken before pictures. They were aftermarket fenders from the very first batch that came on the market. Boy were they rough, and required a lot of bending and flattening just to line up with the doors and fender extensions.

I had to look up slugger bits as I had never heard of them before. Can you use them in a hand drill, or do they have to be chucked up in a mill or drill press?
I had Jay make me some adapter chucks, but yes they work just fine in a regular drill. That is actually how I drilled those!
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...487100&page=30 Post 729 shows the bits and the chucks Jay made for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ta2Don View Post
Glad you two were able to get-away for the VDay Weekend… Sorry to hear about the Wife's misfortune on the slopes. Praying for a quick recovery…

Break Time over… The Frozen Garage awaits...

Thanks for sharing the adventures… The Cat Track Rig is AWESOME!
Thanks for reading !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz1963 View Post
Thanks for the update.

Really felt for you guys but also pleased you broke the cycle. Sometimes that really helps.

Pity about the short cut slope action, but even that can go in as part of the healing.

I will phone you some time. Still trying to find the items I want to call about, but they are a bit evasive.
She is on the mend, though stuck on the couch for another week !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zane M View Post
I'm glad you and the Missus got a chance for a getaway. I'm sorry to hear she got hurt.

I was getting a little worried here, your thread fell off the first page. LOL.
I didnt think anyone would notice, but thank you !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomp View Post
Always nice to take a few steps back or go on a road trip and have a breather.

A buddy of mine once told me, "you ain't havin fun if you ain't broke nuthin'" Sorry to hear about your wifeys bad sprain. Overall sounds like you two had a fun time.

Wish you had more on that snow rig..... Im all curious and stuff.

Definitely getting way close to the finish line.
If I get down that way again after the snow has melted off, I will stop again and get a camera full of photos!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratexpress1369a View Post
tell her to rest up and heal quickly ..it is always good to step away and take some time
Yeah, been pretty focused on this thing for 2.5 years now. Kinda takes a toll on you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Awww Maaaaannnn... sounded like a good party up till then! Thanks for the reminder, need to schedule something like that for me and Momma. Hope she heals soon.

We finally broke freezing this week and I've been getting stuff done. Momma actually said she could see a difference in me just getting back in the shop a little. Winter sux.

Hijack over, everybody back to work!
I am, I am !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemdaddy View Post
welcome home from the ski trip, hope the misses is feeling better.
i think one of the best things we all do on this forum is share our lives. lets us connect with more than just the truck obsession. you, my friend, have a very interesting and rich life... you've done stuff that i will never get to experience but maybe just a little because you share your stories with us. thanks murph...

now fire up the heat in the frozen garage and get some fenders going.
There are quite a few folk on this board I would like to meet face to face, and personalize the friendship, you sir are high on that list !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff La View Post
Hope the wife recovers quickly, and glad ya'll got some away time
Thank Jeff !!

****************************************************************************************

Ok, so I got some new stuff in...
Good, Bad, and indifferent I guess...
Thanks for everyone that pointed me towards the spread clips, they came in as well...That and the hood bumpers (can anyone show me where the round ones go?) in this first photo are the indifferent:
Name:  23feb14 new parts (2).jpg
Views: 639
Size:  41.2 KB

Good - Sunvisors, the vinyl ones from LMC are great !! Well made and easy to work with.
Here are my old ones, one disassembled, the other lying in state, as it were.
These visors just slide off the rods, there is no retainer to worry about just load into a vise, pull and twist, they come right off.
The original paint on them was chipped and looked bad so I threw the first one on the bench grinder wire wheel and it polished up so nice I decided to leave it that way instead of laying new paint on it.
Name:  23feb14 sunvisors (3).jpg
Views: 628
Size:  37.1 KB

Second one off the rod.
Name:  23feb14 sunvisors (5).jpg
Views: 626
Size:  52.4 KB

To get the new ones on, I shot the rod with some spray on graphite lube, and reversed the process of getting them off. Just loaded into the vise again, push and twist.
And Installed (please dont mind the dusty finger prints, I hate my garage).
Name:  23feb14 sunvisors (8).jpg
Views: 619
Size:  43.1 KB

This how they shined up, and with some clear coat on them to keep them shiney looking, or so I hope..... LOL
Name:  23feb14 sunvisors (7).jpg
Views: 600
Size:  28.8 KB
I am very happy with these !!

The bad.... that plastic "chrome" Glove box emblem.
That thing is so cheap made that just touching it scratched the snot out of it. Just a gentle swipe with a cloth other than a micro fiber will scratch it too I found out.
This is the first product I have to say gets my very disgruntled thumbs down !!

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Table Of Contents Added to Page1
McMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 01:12 AM   #1509
Bomp

Im with ya on that piece on the glove box door.
I've seen other builders use Chevrolet script in its place and it looks great.
This is what Im using or something real similar. Mines chrome not gold.
sorry for the ginormous pic
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 01:16 AM   #1510
NEWFISHER

I used lube on my first set of visors. After an hour trip with the cab heater on, they started to fall. Had to pull them back apart, clean them and used a spray contact cement to slide the rod back in. After the contact cement set up it gave just enough tension to hold them wherever I place them. Ruined the first set cleaning them in the vise when I went to shove the rod into wet carboard

Same experience on the chrome glove box trim. I cut the nibs off the back and used 3m tape to stick it to the door. After a light scratch, I peeled it off and sprayed adhesion promoter onto the face then cleared it.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:30 AM   #1511
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Nice to hear the LMC padded visors are good quality. I may add those to my truck some day. Currently I have the stock cardboard type. I think I got them from ChevyDuty about 10-15 years ago. They fit well and work okay, but sure look cheesy compared to the upholstered versions.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:54 AM   #1512
McMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomp View Post
Im with ya on that piece on the glove box door.
I've seen other builders use Chevrolet script in its place and it looks great.
This is what Im using or something real similar. Mines chrome not gold.
OooooOOOOoooooo I likey that !!
I would rather use that than this plastic POS I got...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWFISHER View Post
I used lube on my first set of visors. After an hour trip with the cab heater on, they started to fall. Had to pull them back apart, clean them and used a spray contact cement to slide the rod back in. After the contact cement set up it gave just enough tension to hold them wherever I place them. Ruined the first set cleaning them in the vise when I went to shove the rod into wet carboard

Same experience on the chrome glove box trim. I cut the nibs off the back and used 3m tape to stick it to the door. After a light scratch, I peeled it off and sprayed adhesion promoter onto the face then cleared it.
I used a graphite lube on mine, and they were stiff as heck getting onto the rods, I almost grunted a couple times. I will have to keep the warmer heater air/summer setting in mind if they start to drift on me.
As soon as I saw the cloth stratch the emblem, I was tempted to take it off, mask off the letters and the outside trim, fill the center black, then clear coat the whole thing.... I may still do that before the letters get scratched too. Grrrrrrrrr

Quote:
Nice to hear the LMC padded visors are good quality. I may add those to my truck some day. Currently I have the stock cardboard type. I think I got them from ChevyDuty about 10-15 years ago. They fit well and work okay, but sure look cheesy compared to the upholstered versions.
Yeah I could not find anything about these visors I didnt like. Not that I am a pro or anything mind you, but I have swapped out the visors on our Pontiacs...
I thought about just refurbishing my cardboard ones, but for the money, the vinyl ones were by far the right choice!!

Thanks for looking guys !!

***************************************************************************************

I also got my fender splash panels done this weekend:
These are my originals. It is hard to tell on the bottom one, but the bottom 4" of these were rusted through or gone.
I looked for replacements, but no luck.
Name:  23feb14 fender splash panels (1).jpg
Views: 701
Size:  34.8 KB

So I decided I would just repair mine, though I did consider making some:
Name:  23feb14 fender splash panels (2).jpg
Views: 700
Size:  36.6 KB

All done, with the fender seals attached with those greening clips, and ready to mount:
Name:  23feb14 fender splash panels (3).jpg
Views: 700
Size:  43.6 KB

Soooooooooo anyone know how to mount these fender seals? The catalog (pictured) shows them as longer than the rear fender seals that I attached to my splash panels, but in reality these are longer. I have looked on the cab and the fender, but for the life of me I cannot figure it out:
Name:  23feb14 fender splash panels (4).jpg
Views: 696
Size:  39.5 KB

I got more stuff done this weekend, but it is too late for me to post about it tonight, apologies.
Thanks for reading, and good night !!!

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Old 02-24-2014, 03:29 AM   #1513
Jmorales3181

You are jamming out!!!! Sorry to hear about your other half hope she has a speedy recovery. Progress on all your mods look great!
Old 02-24-2014, 03:33 AM   #1514
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

I'm not sure if this shot is of any value, but it's the only picture I can find showing the rubber flaps installed. Apparently I secured mine with pop rivets:

I also went through the 1960 Chevy Truck Shop Manual looking for a picture. The only shot I found doesn't seem to have the flaps/brackets installed.

Last edited by markeb01; 02-24-2014 at 03:46 AM.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:48 PM   #1515
McMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmorales3181 View Post
You are jamming out!!!! Sorry to hear about your other half hope she has a speedy recovery. Progress on all your mods look great!
Thanks Jmo !!
I hope to see some updates on your truck soon, if you havent already...

Quote:
I'm not sure if this shot is of any value, but it's the only picture I can find showing the rubber flaps installed. Apparently I secured mine with pop rivets:

I also went through the 1960 Chevy Truck Shop Manual looking for a picture. The only shot I found doesn't seem to have the flaps/brackets installed.
Mark it is completely awesome that you posted that exact pic !!
I also welded in some crud plugs, and had thought that the original idea had come from you, but had not looked it up to confirm !!
Here is mine; I made these little plugs to keep debris from getting down into my inner fender support, because the drain there is so small and obviously easy to obstruct resulting in the classic rust rot.
A couple shots of the corner ones:
Name:  23feb14 crud plugs (1).jpg
Views: 607
Size:  28.1 KB
Name:  23feb14 crud plugs (2).jpg
Views: 602
Size:  30.7 KB

The end one:
Name:  23feb14 crud plugs (3).jpg
Views: 595
Size:  36.5 KB

And the top one (before and after):
Name:  23feb14 crud plugs (4).jpg
Views: 602
Size:  31.7 KB
Name:  23feb14 crud plugs (5).jpg
Views: 600
Size:  30.3 KB

I have since added a self clipping rubber moulding to the space between the end cap and the corner one, and have Herculinered the piss out of that entire area. I wish I had thought of the seam sealer first though.....But this was not a planed on mod. The more I thought about the logic behind why Markb did it, the more it just made sense to me.
I believe he said it best, as a correction to a design flaw, and to mitigate the waste of the eventual ruination of brand new fenders.

Thanks Mark !!!

I will be sure to post some after shots in a couple days after the Herculiner fully dries, in these temps up here it takes 2-3 days to set up.

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Old 02-24-2014, 11:58 PM   #1516
Ta2Don

Another Mod to Steal!!!

Great work, and thinking outside the box is….
Proverbs 27:17
US Air Force Retarded errr Retired
My '65 Stepper Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=533920
My '60 Rusty Patina Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...66#post7402266
My '72 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...59#post7204359 SOLD
Ta2Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 02:21 AM   #1517
wutnxt

Location: vancouver b.c....is the biggest place most people would know but I am actually out in the valley 45 mins away

Dude that front end work is crazy......can't wait to see it finished
1966 SBFS street HULK http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post5886625

Poject Low and go gets a 6.2 ltr LSA supercharged with 6 speed automatic

Aluinum Radiator Dealer pm for details
wutnxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:40 AM   #1518
aggie91
I'm just glad to be here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurphy View Post
....I also got my fender splash panels done this weekend:
These are my originals. It is hard to tell on the bottom one, but the bottom 4" of these were rusted through or gone.
I looked for replacements, but no luck.
Attachment 1218695

So I decided I would just repair mine, though I did consider making some:
Attachment 1218697

All done, with the fender seals attached with those greening clips, and ready to mount:
Attachment 1218698

Soooooooooo anyone know how to mount these fender seals? The catalog (pictured) shows them as longer than the rear fender seals that I attached to my splash panels, but in reality these are longer. I have looked on the cab and the fender, but for the life of me I cannot figure it out:
Attachment 1218699...
McMurphy - looks like extra set of seals you have is for the 60-63 front fender seals and the ones you have installed are the 64-66 front fender seals. Those that are in the picture with the catalog are not needed for your truck. Looks like you need to find someone with a 60-63 that are in need of the front fender seals to sell them too.

1965 Chevy Stepside(Grandpa's Old Blue) and (July 2015 Shop Build!)(2020, the Saga Continues)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=372424

The LST Challenge:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7812257

Korbin's 1st Square: "Sunburn"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=418618

1985 GMC Sierra: "White Trash", Korbin's 2nd now...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632305

Henry - 1984 Chevrolet, Owen's 1st Square
aggie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:58 PM   #1519
McMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ta2Don View Post
Another Mod to Steal!!!

Great work, and thinking outside the box is….
I have to pass the props to Markb for this one tho, I got it from him...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutnxt View Post
Dude that front end work is crazy......can't wait to see it finished
Thank you, I have missed your input, but follow your builds faithfully!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie91 View Post
McMurphy - looks like extra set of seals you have is for the 60-63 front fender seals and the ones you have installed are the 64-66 front fender seals. Those that are in the picture with the catalog are not needed for your truck. Looks like you need to find someone with a 60-63 that are in need of the front fender seals to sell them too.
I looked in the catalog and you are 100% correct Aggie. I really need to pay better attention to what I am ordering than just looking at the pretty pictures !!
I will hang onto them in the case that I get a 60-63 to build, unless someone needs them. Shoot me a PM and I will mail them off to you !! They were too cheap to quibble about....

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Old 02-26-2014, 09:56 AM   #1520
Ta2Don

I guess I missed that Mod on Mark's build due to the amount of AWESOMENESS located therein...
Old 03-02-2014, 12:54 AM   #1521
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

I wish I had thought about the fender mods. Looking good
Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:15 PM   #1522
McMurphy

You know.....
You just dont have to spend too much time on this board to realize that you are in the company of some very talented, ingenious, and generous guys !!

The other day I made a quip to Markb about a shifter knob he had ordered, and decided he did not like too much.
I got it and a "care package" in the mail today.

An odd fact about my wife and I (which I guess is why we relate so well to our Pontiacs) we both lost our parents pretty early in life.
As a side result of that, we never got many care packages from home, this box today is probably one of the classiest things I have opened in a long time. (My door checks were pretty awesome too, thanks Chad !!)

So a deepest and ernest Thank you to Mark and his lovely wife.
The soft peanut brittle and the cookies are AWESOME !!
Name:  10mar14 shifter knob and care package from Markb and Ruthann (2).jpg
Views: 503
Size:  55.2 KB

This is the old one I had from the junk yard:
Name:  10mar14 shift knob old.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  29.9 KB

This is the one Mark just tossed me:
Name:  10mar14 shift knob new (3).jpg
Views: 470
Size:  39.7 KB

I LIKE IT !!

Thanks Mark, it is the correct shift pattern and everything !!

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Old 03-10-2014, 11:48 PM   #1523
Ta2Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurphy View Post
You know.....
You just dont have to spend too much time on this board to realize that you are in the company of some very talented, ingenious, and generous guys !!
I LIKE IT !!

Thanks Mark, it is the correct shift pattern and everything !!
Hear Hear!!!
Old 03-11-2014, 12:01 AM   #1524
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

That knob looks very cool on the classic C handle bench seat stick. Glad you enjoyed the goodies. Those are a direct benefit of me fixing my wife's stove which has been offline longer than I can remember. She's been creating like mad, both to check the accuracy of the stove, and because now she can!

Oh and now you're one step closer to passing the NSRA 23 point safety check. Somewhere in the vehicle there has to be an accurate representation of the shift pattern!
Old 03-11-2014, 12:40 AM   #1525
chad64chevy

your welcome for the door checks, and thank you! I appreciate the compliment, I have yet to install my set! the fender mod that you have done is something I will have to do to mine as well! but before I can do anything to my truck I will have to get it up there first, the wife wanted new stuff for the new house and my truck is safe where its at, and will be up here after I start my new job!
chad64chevy is offline   Reply With Quote