The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 06:21 PM   #1576
NEWFISHER

Re: What Did You Do With Your Truck Today ?

^^^ Nice! i think I road home from the hospital when I was born like that, except no seat belt and no baby seat. Just on Moms lap in dad's truck. Are you going to keep a photo journal and the truck for his 16th birthday?
Old 12-07-2012, 06:41 PM   #1577
made2drag

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanyard View Post
.. Here is a photo I originally posted. It shows how a v8 can put a baby to sleep.
im hoping the v8 is idleing in the driveway only and you dont drive around with the car seat in the front. i see you have the seat backwards which is great. car seats should only be placed in a rear seat facing backwards and the seat should be seat belted. during a crash, the seat should actually flip up an inch or 2 towards the rear of the car and somewhat flow with the cars impact and cause less impact on the seat and less injury. the belt in the picture would keep the seat in place but your loved one would take the trauma. this is a serious issue and if you need more info please let me know.

thanks, i couldnt see the picture and stay silent and im only trying to help.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:01 PM   #1578
NEWFISHER

made2drag,
I understand, as we all do, your intent but there was once a better life before the lady in the McDonalds drivethrough spilled her coffee.
Here's a good read for all of us:
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=478687
Old 12-07-2012, 07:47 PM   #1579
agnes the dog

Today was not a great day. Wheel bearings on passenger front are bad. Too bad to drive it home. :-( The bright side is that I ordered a set of upgraded tapered bearings!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-07-2012, 07:49 PM   #1580
beanyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by made2drag View Post
im hoping the v8 is idleing in the driveway only and you dont drive around with the car seat in the front. i see you have the seat backwards which is great. car seats should only be placed in a rear seat facing backwards and the seat should be seat belted. during a crash, the seat should actually flip up an inch or 2 towards the rear of the car and somewhat flow with the cars impact and cause less impact on the seat and less injury. the belt in the picture would keep the seat in place but your loved one would take the trauma. this is a serious issue and if you need more info please let me know.

thanks, i couldnt see the picture and stay silent and im only trying to help.
Well there is no back seat and there are no air bags so I don't think front or back seat matters... I think you have some valid points. PM me your number.. I have some more ?s
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-07-2012, 08:25 PM   #1581
beanyard

We bought a brand new car seat and I used the seat belt hooks on the side. The base (which is currently in the minivan in the back seat) Does allow for the carseat to bounce up. I have a hard time believing that the manufacturer would put seatbelt hooks on the side of the car seat if it was that unsafe... I will probably use the base from now on. Thanks for your concern.

-beanyard
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-07-2012, 09:45 PM   #1582
mknittle

I did a some clean up on my frame. Ignore the rear end that is clamped to the frame . That is just to move it around
Attached Images

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
Old 12-08-2012, 01:22 AM   #1583
arturo7

got the motor out of it's crate and onto the stand.

build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=542073
Old 12-08-2012, 01:24 AM   #1584
Daze57

good lookin block!!!
Old 12-08-2012, 02:13 AM   #1585
beanyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo7 View Post
got the motor out of it's crate and onto the stand.

Is there a like button? Looks sweet.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-08-2012, 08:40 AM   #1586
hyatt

Unpacked a big shipment of parts I ordered Time to get started on my 48 burb
Old 12-08-2012, 08:50 AM   #1587
made2drag

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWFISHER View Post
made2drag,
I understand, as we all do, your intent but there was once a better life before the lady in the McDonalds drivethrough spilled her coffee.
good read for sure! back when times were simple. but now there are more cars, more teens driving, more distractions and after millions of fatalities we know the safe way to get a baby from one place to another and not risk a precious life to..."nah, it will be alright, nothings going to happen" kind of thinking. how many fatalities did it take over the years before a car seat was even invented? how many injures before they figured out how the seat was best designed and placed in the car? in his case, its probably legal since he doesnt have a back seat. legal doesnt make it safe...
Old 12-08-2012, 09:12 AM   #1588
made2drag

Quote:
We bought a brand new car seat and I used the seat belt hooks on the side. The base (which is currently in the minivan in the back seat) Does allow for the carseat to bounce up. I have a hard time believing that the manufacturer would put seatbelt hooks on the side of the car seat if it was that unsafe... I will probably use the base from now on. Thanks for your concern.

-beanyard
Posted via Mobile Device
using the base is the only way i would use it...ever. just to let you know why im so concerned.... we go to south carolina every other thanksgiving to see my wifes relatives. i met one of her cousins who is bound to a wheelchair and only has use of like 10% of his body. back 20 years ago, when he was 4, he was riding in the front seat without his seat belt. they were hit by a truck and he flew out of the front windshield. the driver and his twin brother made it thru with just a couple scrapes.

you dont want to be the driver that wishes he would done it the safe way.

thanks for listening, if you have any other questions you could go to any fire station and ask....they have been trained and can answer any questions
Old 12-08-2012, 09:13 AM   #1589
made2drag

http://www.nhtsa.gov/Safety/CPS

"Car crashes are the number one killer of children 1 to 12 years old in the United States. The best way to protect them in the car is to put them in the right seat, at the right time, and use it the right way."
Old 12-08-2012, 10:07 AM   #1590
beanyard

Quote:
http://www.nhtsa.gov/Safety/CPS

"Car crashes are the number one killer of children 1 to 12 years old in the United States. The best way to protect them in the car is to put them in the right seat, at the right time, and use it the right way."
I appreciate your concern to a certain degree. I will certainly do some research. I will say that unless you are driving the newest make and model you are probably endangering yourself or a passenger in some way. For example, have you changed out the saddle bag tanks in your c10? Do you want your passengers to burn to death....I could find the news articles on how dangerous those tanks were....

So with that said...

We all take on risk related to not having new safety technologies in our old rides... We like them and so we drive them even when there is a safer alternative (5 star safety minivan). People die of heart attacks because they watch too much tv and aren't active and suffer from obesity. I want to teach my boy to have a productive hobby and get him out from the tv.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-08-2012, 10:14 AM   #1591
made2drag

Quote:
Well there is no back seat and there are no air bags so I don't think front or back seat matters... I think you have some valid points. PM me your number.. I have some more ?s
Posted via Mobile Device
the last couple posts are not intended to bash beanyard. i am just stating facts for anyone else who reads this and i just needed to support my views and give my concerns. pm's welcome.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:22 PM   #1592
beanyard

Quote:
the last couple posts are not intended to bash beanyard. i am just stating facts for anyone else who reads this and i just needed to support my views and give my concerns. pm's welcome.
I just re-read the car seat manual and indeed for the last 6 years with all my 4 kids they have been properly buckled. So I guess if you have questions on how to buckle your kids in a classic the instructions include very descriptive instructions on which vintage seat belt types are safe and which aren't safe. There is a long list of vintage seatbelts that aren't safe.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-08-2012, 02:41 PM   #1593
Daner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWFISHER View Post
made2drag,
Wow make sure you have some time before you click that link. Lots of great memories there.
49 GMC Grain truck 235 1 1/2 ton
76 Chevy 350/4 speed 1/2 ton
Old 12-08-2012, 02:47 PM   #1594
LDO

Got the firewall ready for paint tomorrow (I hope)...

Going to shoot it with Raptor liner. Should turn out sweet.

Old 12-08-2012, 09:02 PM   #1595
made2drag

Quote:
I appreciate your concern to a certain degree. I will certainly do some research. I will say that unless you are driving the newest make and model you are probably endangering yourself or a passenger in some way. For example, have you changed out the saddle bag tanks in your c10? Do you want your passengers to burn to death....I could find the news articles on how dangerous those tanks were....

So with that said...

We all take on risk related to not having new safety technologies in our old rides... We like them and so we drive them even when there is a safer alternative (5 star safety minivan). People die of heart attacks because they watch too much tv and aren't active and suffer from obesity. I want to teach my boy to have a productive hobby and get him out from the tv.
Posted via Mobile Device
nope. the tank is still where it is from the factory. if there is a fire i can jump out. neither a baby nor my kids will be in my truck, thats what my daily driven 95 civic hatch is for....it has some of the best safety ratings in the world. i have the civic for mpg's and for safe trvl for my kids. they never ride in my c10 or k5. my sons car seat is safe in the rear of the k5, but my 9 year old daughter isnt going to ride in the back seat since it only has a lap belt.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:06 PM   #1596
made2drag

just my opinions and i prefer to use my safest vehicle i have for them to ride in when they're with me. but 95% of the time we use my wife's 03 honda pilot.

Last edited by made2drag; 12-08-2012 at 09:29 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:08 PM   #1597
made2drag

Quote:
I just re-read the car seat manual and indeed for the last 6 years with all my 4 kids they have been properly buckled. So I guess if you have questions on how to buckle your kids in a classic the instructions include very descriptive instructions on which vintage seat belt types are safe and which aren't safe. There is a long list of vintage seatbelts that aren't safe.
Posted via Mobile Device
agree. peace brother
Old 12-09-2012, 12:15 PM   #1598
mknittle

nothing yet. i need to go out and have some fun with a tape measure when it warms up.

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
Old 12-09-2012, 10:55 PM   #1599
LDO

Raptor liner on the firewall and inside the hood. Very happy with the look. Thanks to Markeb01 for the info and advice! Fenders and rad support are next!

Old 12-09-2012, 10:59 PM   #1600
Daze57

looks good
Closed Thread