The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-26-2016, 01:09 AM   #1
67chevy1series

Re: 1967 Chevy CST aka "the loud truck"

Got a drive line and new u joints today. Also took the temp sender into get machined down to 12mm X1.5 and I also got enough coolant for the cooling system. Tomorrow I'm going to order all the stuff to complete the Trans cooler lines and some stuff to do the wiring on theta and fuel pump... Shooting to take it for a test drive around the 2nd or 3rd week of june... Hoping everything works out alright so I can take it to brothers truck show for the first time and also would be my first time going too.
67chevy1series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 05:31 AM   #2
67chevy1series

Well there was a mix up and it turns out a 67-72 temp sensor can NOT be machined down to 12mmx1.5... So that was a waste of a part and time.. But I guess I gained the knowledge of what's inside those temp sensors lol. Anyways I have another plan to install the 67-72 style temp sensor into the 5.3.. While I'm waiting for parts too show up, and for this coming week so I can get some more parts,I worked on my friends 73 GMC. Replaced the heater core for the first time in a squarebody, was fairly easy. So anyways here's a shot from that. Also would like to wish everyone a safe Memorial Day.
Attached Images

Old 06-03-2016, 02:33 AM   #3
67chevy1series

Alright so fuel system is done, adjusted the fuel psi regulator to 5.5psi (if anybody has any reasons why that would be wrong feel free to tell me. I'm using a 1406 edelbrock carburetor). I have the stuff for the transmission cooler lines/hoses shipping as we speak. Also in the mail is a adapter to put a thermostat for the electric fan in the head so the fan kicks on and off, other then that the fan is completely wired in. I also got this "coolant block drain plug" at the machine shop so the center can be machined to accept the stock 67-72 c10 temp sensor, so hopefully that's finished up tomorrow. So as of right now I'm just waiting for everything to come in the mail so I can install it and install the last fluids... And then it's time to double check everything and go for a test drive, or attempt a test drive lol
Old 06-13-2016, 08:44 AM   #4
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67chevy1series View Post
Well there was a mix up and it turns out a 67-72 temp sensor can NOT be machined down to 12mmx1.5... So that was a waste of a part and time.. But I guess I gained the knowledge of what's inside those temp sensors lol. Anyways I have another plan to install the 67-72 style temp sensor into the 5.3.. While I'm waiting for parts too show up, and for this coming week so I can get some more parts,I worked on my friends 73 GMC. Replaced the heater core for the first time in a squarebody, was fairly easy. So anyways here's a shot from that. Also would like to wish everyone a safe Memorial Day.
Been there done that. I ended up drilling and tapping the head on my last LS swap.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 09:33 AM   #5
Maddoxdb

i feel your frustration on the plug. In my business if I know my employees aren't competent enough to do a job then I do it myself..... No matter how busy I am. Your trucks looking great. I need to jump in and do an ls swap on one of mine. I love how you retained the stock appearance and will be stealing some info from this thread when I get around to doing one.

On another note I felt I should comment on here to let you know your posts weren't going unread! The forums have really seemed to slow down. I really don't get on much myself. Mainly just to read up on threads I get email notifications on. Anyways, good luck on sorting out the temp sensor! Later, Dustin
Maddoxdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 09:53 PM   #6
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Hey Rick, I'm still paying attention, but I'm working 7 12's and am wore out and fall asleep early. It sucks when you trust a shop with a part and all they do is apologize for screwing it up. They should have offered to get another one and making it right for ya! I did my rant too......lol

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 02:04 PM   #7
67chevy1series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddoxdb View Post
i feel your frustration on the plug. In my business if I know my employees aren't competent enough to do a job then I do it myself..... No matter how busy I am. Your trucks looking great. I need to jump in and do an ls swap on one of mine. I love how you retained the stock appearance and will be stealing some info from this thread when I get around to doing one.

On another note I felt I should comment on here to let you know your posts weren't going unread! The forums have really seemed to slow down. I really don't get on much myself. Mainly just to read up on threads I get email notifications on. Anyways, good luck on sorting out the temp sensor! Later, Dustin
Thanks Dustin, I appreciate the kind words! If you need any help or exact GM part numbers to find what parts I used just let me know, you can message me here or comment down or I see we are friends on Instagram you can also ask me on there. I too have noticed the forum here has slowed down but I also feel it is my fault for having kind of a choppy unorganized build thread that seems to never have any real changes to the truck other then drive train, I'm pretty sure people are ready to see the interior done and paint done, but since the truck is ( well was up until 6 months ago) my daily driver I usually can't have it down for long periods of time. So I'm pretty sure that's a big factor why maybe my build thread is not very busy which is understandable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
Hey Rick, I'm still paying attention, but I'm working 7 12's and am wore out and fall asleep early. It sucks when you trust a shop with a part and all they do is apologize for screwing it up. They should have offered to get another one and making it right for ya! I did my rant too......lol
no problem Dale your this threads regular! You've been this threads regular participant as equal as I have! Lol

Good news is I turned to some friends and was able to take another plug and stick on a lathe and put a hole in it and tap it to the right size and now I've got the plug and 67-72 temp sensor in the motor and wired up so right now I'm going to go out there and start filling with coolant/distilled water and start checking to see if there are any leaks... Hopefully tonight I have good news to report.
Old 06-06-2016, 01:40 AM   #8
67chevy1series

Well I've been checking throughout the day and there's no leaks internally or externally in from the cooling system! Now just waiting for the earls pro lite ultra hose I ordered to come in so I can get the transmission cooler lines done and then I'll fill the Trans with Fluid and take it for a test drive...and if everything is working then I'll make an appointment for the exhaust shop
Old 06-06-2016, 01:49 AM   #9
Ol Blue K20

When you're done, I might have to take a day off just to see and hear it in person....

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 06-12-2016, 10:04 PM   #10
67chevy1series

Well I got the 67 on the road, the Trans shifts strong and the motor feels strong as well. One thing that I think is a little too strong is shifting into drive.. Really jolts forward, I know with the th350, th400 with the vacuum modulators you can adjust them by getting a different color line modulator but with all these fancy electronics i need to read up how to adjust the 4l60e.

Also any of you that have the 4l60e and your using the factory yoke from the Trans, what is the hole in the end of it for?
Old 06-13-2016, 12:07 PM   #11
Ol Blue K20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67chevy1series View Post
Well I got the 67 on the road, the Trans shifts strong and the motor feels strong as well. One thing that I think is a little too strong is shifting into drive.. Really jolts forward, I know with the th350, th400 with the vacuum modulators you can adjust them by getting a different color line modulator but with all these fancy electronics i need to read up how to adjust the 4l60e.

Also any of you that have the 4l60e and your using the factory yoke from the Trans, what is the hole in the end of it for?
Congrats Rick!

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 06-16-2016, 04:36 AM   #12
67chevy1series

Today I took the 67 to salinas CA, which made negotiations up the Pacheco pass and the truck did pretty good! Also was able to calculate my MPG and with the all the climbing up the hills at about 55-65 mph through out the trip I got 20.1 MPG. I'm guessing regular flat ground driving at the same speeds I get at least 22... And to think I still have the carburetor! Anyways Ive been driving it and tuning little things here and there when it needs it and it gets nicer and nicer. Also trying to get the truck cleaned up and fix some stuff body and paint wise that has been bothering me badly for quite awhile now. I'll try to post updates regularly. Here's a shot of the 67 waiting in a school parking lot to meet a friend so I can pick up a 1962-1965 grille for a friends 64 d100
Attached Images

Old 08-05-2016, 07:12 PM   #13
67chevy1series

Well my horrible luck with transmissions precedes me.. So the 4l60e has been running hotter then where I'd like it to be and it seems the motor is revving a little higher then it should for the gear the transmission is in, also I couldn't seem to figure out why the Trans kicks into drive so hard and why 1-2 shift throws you in your seat a bit... Well looking at all of that I've come to realize the Trans is slipping a little at all times causing the extra friction and heat and the engine to rev higher to keep the mph right in that gear so a friend of mine happened to get a line on another 4l60 in trade for a 4 bolt main sbc so I traded the block for the Trans. I've already degreased the Trans and pulled the pan, there was some of the clutch pack wear on the little magnet in the pan and around the magnet but it looks much better then how the other 4l60 looked when I pulled the pan, so I'll swap it in and see, it was pulled out of its original truck 2 days ago so it should work
Old 08-05-2016, 09:05 PM   #14
Ol Blue K20

This sucks, I hope this trans works better...best of luck to ya.....

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 08-08-2016, 03:53 PM   #15
67chevy1series

Got the other 4l60 in just need to test drive it again. It's shifting normal and it seems a little better then the last one, not sure about temp yet as I didn't drive it long enough, so we'll see how hot it gets on another test drive
Old 01-13-2018, 03:58 AM   #16
67chevy1series

Oh and the 67 finally got chrome 67 dog dish caps!
Attached Images

Old 08-08-2016, 08:14 PM   #17
Ol Blue K20

I have my fingers crossed hoping it's good

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 08-18-2016, 02:05 AM   #18
67chevy1series

Well I bought a super cooler for the Trans and now I just need some reducer fittings to go from the 1/2 NPT inlet and outlet to the 3/8's inverted flare for the cooler lines. Also I'm going to be placing and order for my buddy bucket seat covers and the foam "buns" for the buckets as well.
Old 08-28-2016, 12:54 AM   #19
67chevy1series

Still waiting on the seat covers to be shipped but, I did manage to get the Dakota digital speedometer conversion box set up in the truck and claibrated... Of course naturally if you get another gauge working then one of the working ones has to go out right? So like clock work the fuel gauge stopped reading... Went to the gas station and filled up to a full tank.. Got out on the highway and was cruising and after a little bit I looked down and seen the needle went way passed the full line and goes almost to the right lower "scale" lines so I tested the gauge by removing grounding the terminal on the fuse box and seeing that it went to almost empty, and when I in grounded the wire it went passed full so I'm thinking the sending unit is bad but anyways here's a pic of the speedo working and also of the frost time ever I've seen the needle that far ever in my 67!
Attached Images

Old 08-28-2016, 10:34 AM   #20
Maddoxdb

Sounds like my projects... One thing fixed and another pops up! Can't wait to see your buddies recovered.
Maddoxdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 09:54 PM   #21
Ol Blue K20

I'm glad it's working out, mostly anyway. It's fun to put the speedo there. But that's one expensive ticket. Ask me how I know....lol

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 09-09-2016, 07:04 PM   #22
Hubscrub
Cruzin

Holy crap batman! This truck has changed ls now huh. I'm not a huge ls swap fan, mostly because of the looks of them but i love how yours is looking so far, with the carb and chevy orange paint. The old breather looks right a home on there. I'm gonna have to catch up and read through your whole thread.

Back to the Fifties 59 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NAeStpydfrcj_U

Proverbs 3:5,6

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."Charles Kuralt

In memory of our first baby daughter, daddy and mommy love you.
Danica Grace 6/26/14
Hubscrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 03:53 AM   #23
67chevy1series

Man I haven't been on here in forever! Lot has happened since last time I touched base with this thread.. the 67 is still alive and being daily driven to mu new job at O Reillys auto parts.. and I also picked up some more vehicles. Last February I picked up a 67 RS camaro from Texas, it was originally a inline 6/powerflide car and I redid the brakes all the way around and bought a 66 327 and shoved that in with a th350 trans I pulled out of my 67 C10talk about 3 years ago. I got the camaro driving by late May and registered but early August. Sadly I let a buddy of mine from work follow behind me in my c10 and he blew the motor in the camaro.. so now I'm in the middle of building a 383 stroker for that car. 2nd thing I picked up is a 1976 formula firebird, it's a factory 490 car but the PO daughter blew the 400 up and they got rid of the moto, other than the block, crank and heads I have all the motor parts and trans etc. and last but not least I also picked up a 73 chevy c10 short fleet in mid November.. that truck I'm going to sell once I get it running and driving, which I should have accomplished in a couple weeks.. I remember everybody likes pictures here so here's the newest additions to my motor pool.. for all the roadkill fans out there you can spot my camaro in the new episode of roadkill with Stubby bob at around 20:32ish into the episode!
Attached Images

Old 01-13-2018, 03:54 AM   #24
67chevy1series

Attached Images

Old 01-13-2018, 03:56 AM   #25
67chevy1series

Attached Images