The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-03-2008, 11:17 AM   #151
smbrouss70

Re: 72 2wd Blazer: Project "Break Me"

Looks Good! Man, you got me wanting the Corvette suspension bad!

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -- Will Rogers
R.I.P. Oscar

R.I.P. Ratchet

1967 Pontiac GTO - Dad was the Original Owner
1970 Chevy 2wd SWB "Oscar's Truck"
1970 Chevy 2wd Blazer "Ratchet's Blazer"
2013 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax/Allison Z71 LTZ "Brown Sugar"
2017 Chevy Suburban "BDB"
2020 Chevy Blazer Premier "Foxy"

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Shop Build
smbrouss70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 11:51 AM   #152
Micmac

Looking gr8!
1947 Indian Chief Roadmaster with Sidecar.
2012 Indian Chief Serial #002 of 110 built in '12
2016 Indian Chief Roadmaster
Micmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 04:19 PM   #153
jkade

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbrouss70 View Post
Looks Good! Man, you got me wanting the Corvette suspension bad!
Yes I think it will work good and I am still way under the cost of a off the shelf kit and have added a bunch of clearence.
jkade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 07:00 PM   #154
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Finally, some pics! Lookin' good. Now that you have the trailing arms, what difference do you see besides the panhard brackets?

Instagram _elgringoloco_

'70 Short-Wide How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10
‘70 Blazer ConversionHow To: Ruin a Perfectly Good 4wd
'72 Highlander How To: Ruin a Perfectly Good K/5 (SOLD)
'72 Blazer 2WD How to: Ruin a perfectly good Blazer (SOLD)
'05 Yukon Daily Driven (not so stock) Yukon (SOLD)
‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy
gringoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:33 AM   #155
jkade

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringoloco View Post
Finally, some pics! Lookin' good. Now that you have the trailing arms, what difference do you see besides the panhard brackets?
Not too much difference that I see besides the panhard bar brackets, I will cut them off. A good difference is they are only 2" wide which may help with a little clearence down the line. They have grease fittings in the bushings also. The pecker head was supposed to sent me the tubing ones and those are what I got. I filed a claim on my credit card and they gave me my money back for time being.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:01 AM   #156
Frizzle Fry

Looking good!
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 05:02 PM   #157
bagged74
its just $$$$$

seems like it would be more cost effective to just get some 2x3 tubing and build some. Progress looks good
bagged74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 05:14 PM   #158
jkade

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagged74 View Post
seems like it would be more cost effective to just get some 2x3 tubing and build some. Progress looks good
I may still do that but if I would have got the ones I paid for I couldn't have built them for $120 considering the time and looking for bushings. Thanks on the work
Old 01-12-2008, 02:25 PM   #159
jkade

Ok, so here is the early classic crossmember, nascar arms, and the homemade blocks. I am waiting on u bolts now.

Old 01-16-2008, 02:55 PM   #160
jkade

Got the u bolts from stengelbros.com, thanks edman87 for the hook up on that site and they ship fast. I am at a little stand still right now, need to get the motor and trans in, build motor mounts, build trans crossmember, build the 2.5" stainless exhaust, etc. Pulled the heads off the ls1 in my 67 and put in some new lifters over the weekend thinking it might quiten down the valvetrain but it didn't. I guess I will have to live with the sewing machine sound it makes. Maybe I will get something done this weekend so we can have some pics to look at.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:49 PM   #161
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Stand still? Sounds like there's plenty of work to be done!

How much lift are you running on the cam in your truck? What springs? These motors are a little noisy with the fast-ramp high lift stuff like Comp XE-R lobes, etc...

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy
Old 01-16-2008, 05:13 PM   #162
jkade

Quote:
Stand still? Sounds like there's plenty of work to be done!

How much lift are you running on the cam in your truck? What springs? These motors are a little noisy with the fast-ramp high lift stuff like Comp XE-R lobes, etc...
Yes plenty of work, I guess I worded that wrong

I am running a patriot 226/226 585/585 with the dual gold springs and my brother is running the same in his 6.0 and it makes some noise also. I know they are bad about valvetrain noise but I thought it could be the lifters I will just put the ones I took out in my 6.0 and will probably go with a different cam in it. I just hate that I pissed $200 down the drain but I feel better knowing the lifters are good
Old 01-18-2008, 09:11 AM   #163
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Maybe pushrod length? Aftermarket cams generally have a smaller base circle, so you may have a little slop if you're using stock length pushrods. Just a thought...

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Old 01-18-2008, 11:21 AM   #164
jkade

Quote:
Maybe pushrod length? Aftermarket cams generally have a smaller base circle, so you may have a little slop if you're using stock length pushrods. Just a thought...
I had a set of 7.425's in there when I built the motor and it didn't help when I put the stockers back in. I am just going to live with it since it runs so well. I did a little burn out for khoult the other day so he can vouch for the thing smoking tires, I had to get out of it or tear down the neighbors mail box
Old 02-02-2008, 02:32 AM   #165
BigTex

Usually the valvetrain noise is associated with both the aggressive lobes on the cam and the much increased spring pressure from a strong spring like those patriot golds. How many miles are on the lifters? Patriot springs aren't exactly gentle on the valvetrain. Sometimes its hit or miss on pushrod length. Without a way to adjust using the stock rockers, you either need to measure proper length, or test out more than one set. If it sounds really bad to the point that you would swap the cam, then it is likely that you have an issue. It could be incorrect pushrod length (or bent), broken spring, or a collapsed lifter.

Are you running stock heads? Have they been milled any?
BigTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 12:08 PM   #166
Rokcrln

Looking good! Question for ya what is the notch on the top of the frame rail right behind the upper arm? Also with what a great job your dad di on the front crossmember why not build your own rear crossmember? Are they just cheap enough not to try and reinvent the wheel? Last one for now, with your rear notch how low will the rockers sit with your tire size? I am still trying to invision how much I will have to chop out of mine for as low as I want to go.

Keep them pics comming, I hope with everyone doing their blazer latley mine will start working on it self

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 10:28 AM   #167
jkade

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTex View Post
Usually the valvetrain noise is associated with both the aggressive lobes on the cam and the much increased spring pressure from a strong spring like those patriot golds. How many miles are on the lifters? Patriot springs aren't exactly gentle on the valvetrain. Sometimes its hit or miss on pushrod length. Without a way to adjust using the stock rockers, you either need to measure proper length, or test out more than one set. If it sounds really bad to the point that you would swap the cam, then it is likely that you have an issue. It could be incorrect pushrod length (or bent), broken spring, or a collapsed lifter.

Are you running stock heads? Have they been milled any?
Has new lifters and that helped a lot, I have also heard that headers make the noise worse and the fact the truck has poor sound deading doesn't help either. Yes stock heads and no mill.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:36 AM   #168
jkade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokcrln View Post
Looking good! Question for ya what is the notch on the top of the frame rail right behind the upper arm? Also with what a great job your dad di on the front crossmember why not build your own rear crossmember? Are they just cheap enough not to try and reinvent the wheel? Last one for now, with your rear notch how low will the rockers sit with your tire size? I am still trying to invision how much I will have to chop out of mine for as low as I want to go.

Keep them pics comming, I hope with everyone doing their blazer latley mine will start working on it self

Kevin
LFD Inc.

The notch you are talking about is for clearence on the end of the a-arm, if we would have used 2x4 that would not have been a issue. Yes my old man did good work but give me credit for welding it all up Yeah I couldn't see spending the time on fabbing on when it was $180 for the crossmember but if it would have been higher I would have made my own. If I measured right with a 315/35/20 I should be about a 1-2" from laying out on the rear and the front should lay "hopefully". Maybe if it warms up I will get back to work on it since I haven't touched it a month.
Thanks, Kade
Old 02-03-2008, 11:47 AM   #169
Rokcrln

Sorry, props to for the welding it looks good as well Now put on a jacket and get you butt out their and get more work done so we can sit in our warm homes and watch

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:44 PM   #170
jkade

Quote:
Sorry, props to for the welding it looks good as well Now put on a jacket and get you butt out their and get more work done so we can sit in our warm homes and watch

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Maybe get back started next week but I am in no hurry since this is gonna be a several year build I enjoy sitting in the warm house and watching too but nothing of mine gets done that way
Old 02-03-2008, 01:39 PM   #171
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkade View Post
Maybe get back started next week but I am in no hurry since this is gonna be a several year build I enjoy sitting in the warm house and watching too but nothing of mine gets done that way
Several years? Mine are always just a few month builds that take me several years if they ever get finished Whats the temps been their latley, here its staying around 30-45* I will be painting the next few days so that meens fire up all the shop heaters and let things defrost for a few hours.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:24 AM   #172
jkade

Quote:
Several years? Mine are always just a few month builds that take me several years if they ever get finished Whats the temps been their latley, here its staying around 30-45* I will be painting the next few days so that meens fire up all the shop heaters and let things defrost for a few hours.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
We have been having about the same temps as you. It cost so much to heat the shop right now with deisel being so high. Maybe in a few weeks we will have some 65 plus degree weather and I will get back to work.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:32 AM   #173
Rokcrln

Quote:
We have been having about the same temps as you. It cost so much to heat the shop right now with deisel being so high. Maybe in a few weeks we will have some 65 plus degree weather and I will get back to work.
I use a 20gal propain bottle with a twin heater unit mounted on top of the bottle. Then just move it around were you are working. Not the best but it sure takes the chill off.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Last edited by Rokcrln; 02-04-2008 at 07:33 AM.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:10 AM   #174
BigTex

Quote:
Has new lifters and that helped a lot, I have also heard that headers make the noise worse and the fact the truck has poor sound deading doesn't help either. Yes stock heads and no mill.
Headers! No doubt that is causing quite a bit of ticking noises. Headers can deliver a real nice power gain and help maximize the potential, but do have their downsides. Cast iron manifolds really do help keep the noise down. You really have to buy headers with the thickest tube possible as the cheaper thin stuff is noisy.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:15 AM   #175
BigTex

Quote:
It cost so much to heat the shop right now with deisel being so high. Maybe in a few weeks we will have some 65 plus degree weather and I will get back to work.
I recently bought a Mr. Heater brand propane shop heater to warm my 30x40 shop. Its a 75000 - 125000 BTU unit. I tried a 50,000 BTU kerosene unit first, but I had to run it a lot longer than I wanted and the smell was stronger than I remembered. The propane recommends a 40# bottle, but I've been using it with a 20# bottle and its fine. This morning, on low, it warmed the shop from 42* to 60* in about 30 minutes.

Northern Tools has a sale going on right now with 25% off all heaters.