The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-08-2012, 08:37 PM   #151
suspect

Re: Project "Captain Insano"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB64NOVA View Post
It looks like you have a hell of a project going, and a woman to help out? HELL YEAH! My original plan for my truck was to have it painted satin black, riding on some white walls, with the baby moon hubcaps on painted rallys. I wanted the "rat rod" look. Good luck with your build man.
thanks. my plans right now are a flat charcoal black metallic. my last project truck i did a 2 tone with the charcoal metallic. and it look so sweet before i cleared it. i always wished i would've painted the entire truck that color flat.
yeah, my wife is cool. she helps out......as long as it's from inside with the a/c. lol

Romans 10:13 Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.
suspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:47 PM   #152
suspect

got the c notches in. wrestling the frame around is a bit tough, but worth it to be able to work from the side or on top. i'm going to leave it where it's at now because i'll need to tip it up again so i can cut or drill out some large holes through the upper bag mounting area for the rear, through the c notch and 2 layers of frame (this isn't going to be fun).
i mocked up the lower control arms with the bags and upper plates bolted on. i raised it up, held it with a C-clamp, and marked where to drill the plate bolt holes. there's not much room as you can see, so i used a small rod with a very sharp point ground into it and tapped it just enough to mark it. then removed all of it and remarked my holes with a punch. marking with a punch is important so your drill won't walk on you when you start. (and that crossmember is tough to drill through) i stepped down 3 bit sizes. started with a 1/8" to 1/4" to 7/16". doing this makes it a little tougher on the larger bits, but makes it much easier. i resharpend bits every other hole.
i just have a cheap grinder from harbor frieght. the motor isn't all that powerful for grinding big stuff or with lots of pressure, but it's perfect for sharpening drill bits and deburring edges.
Attached Images

Last edited by suspect; 07-09-2012 at 07:31 AM.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:48 PM   #153
suspect

captain insano
Attached Images

Old 07-08-2012, 09:52 PM   #154
67c10rustbuket

Nice progress Daniel suspension is looking real good. I know you're a stud and all but I'm just around the corner if you need a hand flippin' the frame over bro.

67 SWB C10 project "GEORGIA"-59 Brookwood 2dr wag...Next project-03 Tahoe 4x4 5.3 family ride-07 Hondur Accord, commuter car
67c10rustbuket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:27 AM   #155
suspect

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67c10rustbuket View Post
Nice progress Daniel suspension is looking real good. I know you're a stud and all but I'm just around the corner if you need a hand flippin' the frame over bro.
lol, thanks. i know i can count on you. i get impatient alot and want to get it done. i need to work on that.

i'm not going to weld in the c notch yet. i plan on driving this truck by this time next year. then i'll start buy the dropmember stuff to slam it. i'm not set on these plans yet, but that's probably what will happen. i just want to be able to disassemble it easily and sale the notch if i want to.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:36 AM   #156
king-918

Quote:
Originally Posted by suspect View Post
got the c notches in. wrestling the frame around is a bit tough, but worth it to be able to work from the side or on top. i'm going to leave it where it's at now because i'll need to tip it up again so i can cut or drill out some large holes through the upper bag mounting area for the rear, through the c notch and 2 layers of frame (this isn't going to be fun).
i mocked up the lower control arms with the bags and upper plates bolted on. i raised it up, held it with a C-clamp, and marked where to drill the plate bolt holes. there's not much room as you can see, so i used a small rod with a very sharp point ground into it and tapped it just enough to mark it. then removed all of it and remarked my holes with a punch. marking with a punch is important so your drill won't walk on you when you start. (and that crossmember is tough to drill through) i stepped down 3 bit sizes. started with a 1/8" to 1/4" to 7/16". doing this makes it a little tougher on the larger bits, but makes it much easier. i resharpend bits every other hole.
i just have a cheap grinder from harbor frieght. the motor isn't all that powerful for grinding big stuff or with lots of pressure, but it's perfect for sharpening drill bits and deburring edges.
How low should the rear sit with just
a c-notch in the rear? As in will it frame the truck or how much clearance
will you have when aired out
Posted via Mobile Device
king-918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:59 PM   #157
suspect

Quote:
Originally Posted by king-918 View Post
How low should the rear sit with just
a c-notch in the rear? As in will it frame the truck or how much clearance
will you have when aired out
Posted via Mobile Device
i'm not sure how far off the ground i will be when aired out. i've looked at alot of pictures to get an idea. different factors play into it like wheel/tire size, bump stops in notch, cups mounted on bags, etc. i know you can get it low enough to were the differential will stick through the bed an 1" or 2". i'm going with a wood bed, so i'm not sure if i want to go through the bed just yet for an 1". i'll have 20's for wheels. i think i'll get it pretty low.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:15 AM   #158
king-918

Quote:
i'm not sure how far off the ground i will be when aired out. i've looked at alot of pictures to get an idea. different factors play into it like wheel/tire size, bump stops in notch, cups mounted on bags, etc. i know you can get it low enough to were the differential will stick through the bed an 1" or 2". i'm going with a wood bed, so i'm not sure if i want to go through the bed just yet for an 1". i'll have 20's for wheels. i think i'll get it pretty low.
Was kind of thinking the same just wanted some more input
Posted via Mobile Device
king-918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:58 PM   #159
suspect

i made a templete out of 1/8" steel plate at work during lunch today. it's not the prettiest, but i just needed the bolt pattern. i bolted it through the spring hole. i'm going to start off with the bags mounted against the frame and trailing arm. i will weld on some extra plating to the sides of the frame and trailing arms for support on the bags that go past. i will add a steel plate or cup just enough to clear the bed floor later after it's all assembled.
within 2-3 days, i'll be able to start assembling the front suspension. it's getting exciting.
Attached Images

Old 07-13-2012, 05:51 PM   #160
suspect

i ordered some powerbraid sleeve to run over my air lines in some areas. i also got a grommet kit from summit and a gas filler plate from infanti.
Attached Images

Old 07-15-2012, 12:05 PM   #161
NuttinSpecial

Nice build man! Jeez i need to start a build thread already.
Posted via Mobile Device

Spending $ I Dont Have,
On Things That I Dont Need,
To Impress People I Dont Know,
It's The Truth.
NuttinSpecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:51 PM   #162
suspect

thanks nuttinspecial. i picked up a 700r4 w/torque convertor today, '89 model. the guy says it works good when they pulled it from his friends truck. if it does, then that'll be a nice bonus. if not, i'm going to see how well i do at learning how to rebuild it.
Attached Images

Old 07-20-2012, 11:02 PM   #163
suspect

i needed to replace some lug bolts. figured i might as well clean them up and replace the seals also. i may just go ahead and buy new axles also. the bearing area is still nice, a little wear on the seal area. they're cheap though so it probably just depends on how impulsive i feel some day.

to get the lug bolts out just knock them out with a 3-5 lb hammer. about 4 good hits and they'll come out. if they don't, then get a bigger hammer.

got wilwood rear disc conversion with d154 calipers and E brake ordered today. should be here in about 2 wks.
when i first started this build in january, i was worried i would be ahead on the work and be stalled by getting the parts in. i now have all these parts piled up waiting on me. my plan was to be driving it by the end of next summer. it may be early spring now. we'll see.
Attached Images

Last edited by suspect; 08-02-2012 at 07:13 PM.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:23 PM   #164
suspect

the rear disc conversion came in today. i haven't done much in the last couple weeks. it's been over 100* everyday plus we don't have a/c in our shop at work so i don't care to keep working in the heat once i get home.
i got the wheel studs, seals put in, and painted the rear end. i was assuming i could put this brake kit on with the axles in, but i have to take them back out.
i started on setting up the air system, i can't find any place to mount the valve manifold. so i have to make a mounting plate and figure where to put that. i'm hoping i'll get quite a few of this stuff assembled this weekend.
Attached Images

Old 08-03-2012, 07:53 AM   #165
67cheby
67cheby

Sweet brake kit !
Posted via Mobile Device
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:08 AM   #166
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67cheby View Post
Sweet brake kit !
Posted via Mobile Device
X 2! Where did you get it? Part #?
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:06 AM   #167
mcbassin
Still Learning

Nice!
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:43 AM   #168
screaminchevypickup
Laid Back

Very nice!
Posted via Mobile Device

Direct dealers for..

Vintage Air, Porterbuilt, Billet Specialties,Budnik wheels ,eddie motorsports, raceline wheels, intro wheels, Dakota Digital, precision, unisteer, Trimparts, and many many more... Laid Back Recreations.. Full restoration shop and full paint and body..

Kyle

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=574629
screaminchevypickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:06 PM   #169
funkytechmonkey

Quote:
the rear disc conversion came in today. i haven't done much in the last couple weeks. it's been over 100* everyday plus we don't have a/c in our shop at work so i don't care to keep working in the heat once i get home.
i got the wheel studs, seals put in, and painted the rear end. i was assuming i could put this brake kit on with the axles in, but i have to take them back out.
i started on setting up the air system, i can't find any place to mount the valve manifold. so i have to make a mounting plate and figure where to put that. i'm hoping i'll get quite a few of this stuff assembled this weekend.
Isnt that a PITA!?!... I had my buddy rebuild my rear end for me and he mounted them on wrong. So I had to take them back out to flip them. MAKE SURE YOU GET THEM IN THERE RIGHT!! LOL
Boyd Welds Gas tank and mild c-notch.
Click here to view my build
funkytechmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:24 PM   #170
suspect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
X 2! Where did you get it? Part #?
thanks to everyone. they have a bit of a price tag, but they are going to set the look of the truck off. i just ripped it off like a band aid and got it done.
i ordered them through scotts hot rods, talked with justin.
this is what is on my sales ticket: wilwood 12" D/S rotor
metric caliper red - parking brake 12 bolt c10
part # 140-12569 DR

they look just like the D52 but are a little smaller and have a metric fluid inlet. the rotors are 12" diam X 1" thick.
everything there is wilwood brand. they're not in the photo but wilwood brake pads and caliper bolts are also included. i still have to order the E brake cable, justin says a stock one will not work with it.

while i was waiting for them to show up, i checked out the part # on the wilwood site to see what the E brake set up was like. i couldn't find out anything about it. anyway, turns out the E brake is just like a 2001 silverado style.

Last edited by suspect; 08-03-2012 at 09:34 PM.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:46 AM   #171
67c10rustbuket

Those rear brakes are beautiful !!! A little spendy for me but I likey.

67 SWB C10 project "GEORGIA"-59 Brookwood 2dr wag...Next project-03 Tahoe 4x4 5.3 family ride-07 Hondur Accord, commuter car
67c10rustbuket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:09 AM   #172
Bomp

Just did a full read.....MAN.....you are killin it. Wish I could get stuff done fast like you. Get it done before your wife starts makin out Honey-Do lists to keep you occupied.
-subscribed-
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:52 AM   #173
suspect

thanks a lot. i do feel fortunate that i'm able to do a build like this. i have a lot of respect for the guys out there with families and kids to take care of, so i know that can hold you back. us not having kids to take care of (plus here i am up at 4 am on a sunday about to go to work), we're able to do a little more playing.

Old 08-05-2012, 05:08 PM   #174
Bomp

Quote:
thanks a lot. i do feel fortunate that i'm able to do a build like this. i have a lot of respect for the guys out there with families and kids to take care of, so i know that can hold you back. us not having kids to take care of (plus here i am up at 4 am on a sunday about to go to work), we're able to do a little more playing.
Yup,,,Sunday and had to work too. Started at 3:30am-12:30. 8.5 hrs of ot. Gotta do it when its there. Mon-Fri back to 10-13 hr days.

Keep up the great work!!!!!
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:16 PM   #175
suspect

i got to tinker with some of the new parts today. everything in this kit bolts up real nice. i've checked out other peoples drilled/slotted rotors and have seen them mounted the other way. these have an arrow stamped on them, so i'm not sure how much of a difference it makes.
Attached Images