The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board > 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-07-2013, 09:13 PM   #2126
jaros44sr

Re: PO has me PO'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
You're doing a great job on this. You are taking your time but the details you have are outstanding. I'm more of a slap it together and get it done type and try to do the best I can at that pace. I have the determination to finish but lack the patience to make it great.

Love the gold.

My paint looks completely different in the sun but in the shade or non-direct lighting it is very close to the wrap color you have picked. Go glossy with the gold. The matte look just makes it look old and faded or weathered, which I don't think you will be happy with.
Thanks, its nice to get noticed when you put so much effort and time into something, believe it or not, but when i first started, it was going to be a slap and go. But, i joined this forum, and felt these guys deserved a better effort from me....one thing led to another, and you know how that goes. Plus i landed a much better job then i previously had, so that funded my dreams

Seems like the glossy gold is winning out....btw, really enjoy your build, gave me something to read when i wasnt working on my truck. You, my friend, have a much better grasp of the kings english, and express it well

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:46 AM   #2127
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaros44sr View Post
Thanks, its nice to get noticed when you put so much effort and time into something, believe it or not, but when i first started, it was going to be a slap and go. But, i joined this forum, and felt these guys deserved a better effort from me....one thing led to another, and you know how that goes. Plus i landed a much better job then i previously had, so that funded my dreams

Seems like the glossy gold is winning out....btw, really enjoy your build, gave me something to read when i wasnt working on my truck. You, my friend, have a much better grasp of the kings english, and express it well
I do the builds for myself, and the build threads here were primarily for myself also. It's like my truck diary. It's great to share the accomplishments with people who have been there and can understand how much work goes into it or for people who are looking to get there. And it's good to share the sorrows when things don't go quite as you planned and you just need some help, an idea or a kick in the pants.

I don't deserve your best efforts. I haven't done anything to earn that. If thats where you find the motivation to do this incredible build and to take the time to share it here, then kudos to you for identifying that and using it to push onward. Whatever it takes. Finding that drive is sometimes the biggest challenge, even beyond time and money.

I may not post a lot on this or other threads, but I'm watching, admiring and learning from some talented people. If I can help or entertain others along the way I'm just giving what I get.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:09 PM   #2128
jaros44sr

Quote:
I do the builds for myself, and the build threads here were primarily for myself also. It's like my truck diary. It's great to share the accomplishments with people who have been there and can understand how much work goes into it or for people who are looking to get there. And it's good to share the sorrows when things don't go quite as you planned and you just need some help, an idea or a kick in the pants.

I don't deserve your best efforts. I haven't done anything to earn that. If thats where you find the motivation to do this incredible build and to take the time to share it here, then kudos to you for identifying that and using it to push onward. Whatever it takes. Finding that drive is sometimes the biggest challenge, even beyond time and money.

I may not post a lot on this or other threads, but I'm watching, admiring and learning from some talented people. If I can help or entertain others along the way I'm just giving what I get.
You know, i have to agree. That third part of the restoration process is desire to complete a task, and that can be very hard to achieve with all the trials and tribulations life throws at us on a daily basis.

Youve succeeded in building a very nice truck, one that your son will get to enjoy. Possibly, take up the torch and build something someday. We can only plant the seed, and hope it grows in our children.....

I dont think i could have done a paint job like that and retained what little bit of sanity i have left, way to much tedious work for me, but you pulled it, and it looks great.

Gotta get back to work

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim
Old 10-09-2013, 07:04 AM   #2129
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaros44sr View Post
Gotta get back to work
Yep. Too many posts without a pic.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:41 AM   #2130
jaros44sr

Quote:
Yep. Too many posts without a pic.

Ill see what i can do to remedy that situation....

Found awierd problem when i was thinking about adjusting the brakes. The backing plates have two oval slots in them, but neither line up with the star wheel. I have many tools at my disposal, but none that is a offset adjusting tool, i even considering bending one. While i was thinking of the solution to this problem, and getting ready to paint the drums, isaw the answer. GMC put the access slot in the drum.....:

Good talking to ya

SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim
Old 10-09-2013, 02:13 PM   #2131
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Or the adjuster is in backwards. Ask me how I know.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:26 PM   #2132
jaros44sr

Quote:
Or the adjuster is in backwards. Ask me how I know.
Nope, cant be that, the slots are even further out then that....but, i feel your pain

Wow, i finally got to post a pic...lol

20131005_195633 by jarosaj, on Flickr

SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim
Old 10-22-2013, 08:55 AM   #2133
ta2ed

Yeah, the slots in the backing plate are just for shoe inspection, the adjuster is on the outside of the drum. Props to you Jim. This is 1 nice build & thread.
ta2ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:03 AM   #2134
jaros44sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta2ed View Post
Yeah, the slots in the backing plate are just for shoe inspection, the adjuster is on the outside of the drum. Props to you Jim. This is 1 nice build & thread.
Thanks Frank, glad your enjoying the thread....

Ill see what i can do to improve my description of the wood bed install

Sure are alot of great builds going on over here on the blazer side, arent there....

SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim

Last edited by jaros44sr; 10-22-2013 at 11:14 AM.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:48 PM   #2135
jaros44sr

Hate to give you guys a response without a pic...picked up this period correct diff. cover on our classifieds, but it makes my axle look like crap. Ill have to fix that!

Having a problem with the fuel pump fitting between the cross sills, seems that ill have to rotate pump, and have the fuel lines come in from the passenger side, then loop over to the drivers side

Also, ordered up the recessed head SS bolts from totally stainless, needed longer bolts to compensate for the thickness of the cover

20131022_122130 by jarosaj, on Flickr

SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim
Old 10-22-2013, 04:03 PM   #2136
Dale99

Thats a HUGE cover!
Dale99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:09 PM   #2137
jaros44sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale99 View Post
Thats a HUGE cover!
YEP, its about 5" deep....oughta keep my rearend cool

SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim
Old 10-22-2013, 07:03 PM   #2138
red87gmc

what an awsome build
red87gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:19 PM   #2139
swamp rat

What does that say on the back of the cover??

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:51 PM   #2140
jaros44sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by red87gmc View Post
what an awsome build
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
What does that say on the back of the cover??
Thanks for looking red, and the compliments

I think it says rough country, or whoever makes the lift kits...ill have to check tomorrow

SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim
Old 10-23-2013, 06:56 AM   #2141
ta2ed

Bed pics Jim! Lol just kidding. Damn that thing is goin to e awesome
When you're done with it. Very inspiring, keep up the good work man.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:04 PM   #2142
jaros44sr

Quote:
Bed pics Jim! Lol just kidding. Damn that thing is goin to e awesome
When you're done with it. Very inspiring, keep up the good work man.
OK,OK.....lol, here is the key to making the wood bed work. 1973 and up rear cross member. It has a 3/4" recess built in that accepts the bed wood, plus it has holes in place for the SS attachment rails. The cross member is bolted in with about 3-4 bolts per side, and tack welded across the top where the tailgate would go

Wheelhouses have to be modified slightly, to get the offset of the bedsides to line up again, but this is easy, just a cut in the sheetmetal and rebend in the proper location. Also, you have to slot the mounting holes, since the wood is thicker than the sheetmetal floor. Ive used fender washers and shims to spread the load of the bolts

The wood (with the wheelhouse notch cut into it) has to be flopped right to left, so the board with the extra lenght can be cut to fit. Keep the curvature of the wood up (growth ring) as this provides better protection to the elements

The only other area of concern is the 'B' post, the small piece of wood has to be routed out on the underside to give clearance for proper fit

20131023_113723 by jarosaj, on Flickr

SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim
Old 10-23-2013, 12:17 PM   #2143
ta2ed

Thanks Jim, my main concern was at the B post and the front of the bed. I have a whole kit for a pickup rear sill, cross braces and strips. I was mainly wondering how you did the front part of the bed.i didn't know if you recessed the boards or not. I appreciate the advice. I don't mean to aggravate, but the wife says I do that a lot! Lol
Old 10-23-2013, 12:19 PM   #2144
ta2ed

By the way, that rear diff cover looks bad ass!
Old 10-23-2013, 01:00 PM   #2145
jaros44sr

Quote:
Thanks Jim, my main concern was at the B post and the front of the bed. I have a whole kit for a pickup rear sill, cross braces and strips. I was mainly wondering how you did the front part of the bed.i didn't know if you recessed the boards or not. I appreciate the advice. I don't mean to aggravate, but the wife says I do that a lot! Lol
No problem here.....

I sat the bed wood on top of the step up, then drilled holes in the flange. Still have to buy the little blocks of wood that go between the bed floor, seals up the space, so no exhaust enters cab

The small piece is a trial and fit affair at the 'B' post, luckily it would be cheap to replace if it was a bad fit

Show me pics of how you addressed this area, im up for any new ideas

SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim
Old 10-23-2013, 01:01 PM   #2146
jaros44sr

Quote:
By the way, that rear diff cover looks bad ass!
Size does matter

SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim
Old 10-23-2013, 02:01 PM   #2147
skorpioskorpio

Didn't you end up moving your tank forward some? Hope your big diff and the tank don't fight for the same space.
skorpioskorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:40 PM   #2148
ta2ed

Yeah,that would suck
Old 10-23-2013, 06:15 PM   #2149
jaros44sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by skorpioskorpio View Post
Didn't you end up moving your tank forward some? Hope your big diff and the tank don't fight for the same space.
Well not finalized, but was thinking, planning along those lines. 2" could pose a problem with clearance on the diff., right now im looking at turning my fuel pump 180 degrees, and putting it in the stock position....

Also, rethinking the fuel filler neck on the tank, to put the stock neck on there. If all else fails, the aluminum cover could not be used, but well see

Any progress on your build?

SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim
Old 10-24-2013, 03:41 AM   #2150
skorpioskorpio

Sorry to point that out, just remember reading back in your thread somewhere that you moved the tank forward, and that my friend is some knarly diff jewelry.

Mine, well my vendor lockup is starting to loosen it seems. My truck, minus the tub, is all blasted now. Porterbuilt is supposed to send me out the replacement rear suspension this week. The car that got my truck kicked out of the body shop is done now (E L Cords personal Cord) so they can start doing some of the body work. My custom, dialed in, power steering / hydroboost pump is ready to be picked up sporting a cool custom aluminum reservoir. Underframe pedal rework to fit the hydroboost booster should be done next week along with my sliced oil pan. Oh and I got a new souped up computer that should have enough welly to run Solidworks considering all my friends that were going to do that are occupied with other things, I'll have to teach myself 3D CAD I guess. Now if everything shows up as scheduled I just hope there is room next to Larry to get my suspension all fitted up.

Frustrating when everything stalls out like that, pretty much all summer. I appreciate the fact that you've followed along enough to ask, it's been a stalled out thread for a while I know. Oh and looks like I'm probably on track to get a half top early next year from Kurt, nice guy, I'm probably going to have him send it to me as raw halves and get it finished out out here in LA since that is the part he seems to be having issues with.
skorpioskorpio is offline   Reply With Quote