The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-02-2008, 03:50 PM   #201
jkade

Re: 72 2wd Blazer: Project "Break Me"

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyblueoval View Post
You gotta admit that tire is gonna look sweet on there!

I love the seats but I also love the console in the green truck. It's so simple and sleek. That helps me a little with ideas for mine.
The tires are going to look sick but say bye bye to the factory tubs for sure I took the rear end this morning and he said he has never seen a 8.8 with the center offset like that so I am not sure what it came from. He also said the factory locker should hold up well and no big need to spend money on upgrading to a different brand so that is going to save $400 or so. He is going to have to build a new axle and I told him to put new bearings and seals and the total was only $250 for everything.

The old boy that had the green truck with the seats said he used the stock mounts on them and they were easy to make work. I think they are some of the better looking seats I have seen used in this era truck. I do like the console but I am going to have a gear poker in that area and I am going to build something similat to that for mine.

Did you ever get your front suspension? What all have you got done to that thing?
jkade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 04:36 PM   #202
babyblueoval

Ahhh, the front suspension...............

Uhhh, yes I got the front suspension BUT not from the guy I had already paid for it.
I found a smokin' deal on ebay for a set of uppers WITH hubs. ($100 less than the cheapest place I had found for just uppers)One of my hubs had a stud sheared off so it killed 2 birds with 1 stone except I had already paid someone else for them.
Live and learn to never deal with Brian Houston at Vettesource in Houston. But I'm not bitter.
So now I have all the parts I need to get started but off course it didn't happen until summer so I have the kids and summer activities to deal with. Once school starts I should be able to get started on it and the pics should start coming steadily. Thanks for asking.
I have decided I'm gonna paint it two-tone like a stock '67-'68 in my baby blue and white scheme. The last issue of Truck Builder with the anniversary addition gold and white swb on the cover sold me on the style. I actually considered switching to gold and having an anniv addition "67 or "68 Blazer.
It's still rattling around in my head but I'm sure I'll stick with the blue.

'71 Blazer-Porterbuilt Dropmember C4/LS1/6L80E
'57 VW beetle - Oct. 2006 Hot VW's pg. 87 - 350hp intercooled, turbocharged, EFI 2.3liter and 5spd in the works
'87 BMW 325i - daily driver
babyblueoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 06:00 PM   #203
jkade

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyblueoval View Post
Ahhh, the front suspension...............

Uhhh, yes I got the front suspension BUT not from the guy I had already paid for it.
I found a smokin' deal on ebay for a set of uppers WITH hubs. ($100 less than the cheapest place I had found for just uppers)One of my hubs had a stud sheared off so it killed 2 birds with 1 stone except I had already paid someone else for them.
Live and learn to never deal with Brian Houston at Vettesource in Houston. But I'm not bitter.
So now I have all the parts I need to get started but off course it didn't happen until summer so I have the kids and summer activities to deal with. Once school starts I should be able to get started on it and the pics should start coming steadily. Thanks for asking.
I have decided I'm gonna paint it two-tone like a stock '67-'68 in my baby blue and white scheme. The last issue of Truck Builder with the anniversary addition gold and white swb on the cover sold me on the style. I actually considered switching to gold and having an anniv addition "67 or "68 Blazer.
It's still rattling around in my head but I'm sure I'll stick with the blue.

I hate to hear your bad luck on the suspension and I have heard of them before so I am glad I didn't mess with them. I got lucky and found a 94 vette and the junk yard a few miles from my house and picked up everything I needed for $450 which I thought was a good deal. And as for the paint scheme I have thought about the same for mine, those year truck look dang good the way gm painted them. Good luck and you will probably will finish yours before mine
Old 08-03-2008, 09:49 AM   #204
turbojunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkade View Post
I took the rear end this morning and he said he has never seen a 8.8 with the center offset like that so I am not sure what it came from.
Those offset 8.8's are from Rangers and Exploders.
turbojunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 07:27 PM   #205
jkade

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojunker View Post
Those offset 8.8's are from Rangers and Exploders.
That is what I thought but the the shop owner said he had never seen one offset like that.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:08 PM   #206
turbojunker

Quote:
That is what I thought but the the shop owner said he had never seen one offset like that.
Me either until I swapped my Ranger over to an Exploder 8.8 (the Exploder is a spring under, the Ranger is a spring over).
turbojunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 10:15 AM   #207
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Quote:
I am taking the rearend in the morning to have it narrowed 3" since that is how much longer the drivers side tube is compared to the passenger side.
How wide is it overall now? Wheel flange-to-flange?

Instagram _elgringoloco_

'70 Short-Wide How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10
‘70 Blazer ConversionHow To: Ruin a Perfectly Good 4wd
'72 Highlander How To: Ruin a Perfectly Good K/5 (SOLD)
'72 Blazer 2WD How to: Ruin a perfectly good Blazer (SOLD)
'05 Yukon Daily Driven (not so stock) Yukon (SOLD)
‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy
gringoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 09:29 PM   #208
jkade

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojunker View Post
Me either until I swapped my Ranger over to an Exploder 8.8 (the Exploder is a spring under, the Ranger is a spring over).
Well mine for sure came for a exploder. Thanks for the info.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:31 PM   #209
jkade

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringoloco View Post
How wide is it overall now? Wheel flange-to-flange?
I haven't picked it up yet but it should be 57". I think he is going to have it done so I can pick it up this Sat.
Old 08-10-2008, 01:12 PM   #210
jkade

Here is a pick of the rear end sitting where it needs to be, got it back yesterday.

Here is the truck top that is going to be under the knife in the near future.

Old 08-10-2008, 07:39 PM   #211
jkade

Running a 4 link on one of these frames sucks if you think you are going to use the mounts that come with kits. Figured out today and I already knew from other people on here the the front lower 4 link mounts are going to have to be stepped out to compensate for the inward travel of the frame from the rear foward if that makes sense. Also the upper forward link mounts that came with the kit won't work either since the are designed for a wider framed vehicle so I ordered one 180 degree 1.5" and 36" of 1.5" dom tubing to make a crossmember for the upper links to attach to instead of attaching them directly to the frame. This will serve as a crossmember for strength, a driveshaft loop, and a place for the upper links to attach to in there forward position. Pics next weekend maybe, that is if the wife doesn't spit out a baby between here and then
Old 08-10-2008, 11:22 PM   #212
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

The 4wd frames work a lot better for a 4-link. Sounds like you got it fingered-out though. Lookin' good

Instagram _elgringoloco_

'70 Short-Wide How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10
‘70 Blazer ConversionHow To: Ruin a Perfectly Good 4wd
'72 Highlander How To: Ruin a Perfectly Good K/5 (SOLD)
'72 Blazer 2WD How to: Ruin a perfectly good Blazer (SOLD)
'05 Yukon Daily Driven (not so stock) Yukon (SOLD)
‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy
gringoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 06:02 PM   #213
jkade

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringoloco View Post
The 4wd frames work a lot better for a 4-link. Sounds like you got it fingered-out though. Lookin' good
I don't know if I have it figured out but I have a idea
Old 08-14-2008, 07:16 PM   #214
r1lorenzini

Man just caught up to date. sick build . congrats on the baby. you will definitely enjoy it. get as much done on the blazer now though@@@@
r1lorenzini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 09:06 PM   #215
jkade

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1lorenzini View Post
Man just caught up to date. sick build . congrats on the baby. you will definitely enjoy it. get as much done on the blazer now though@@@@
Thanx, I am trying to get it a rolling chassis before he gets here so we will see.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:45 PM   #216
jkade

I got the lower front bar brackets made and welded in, have to go back and make some gussets for them and I will be done with the lower part. Got my upper crossmember welded together and still have to make tabs for the links to attach to it and make some feet for the crossmember so I can weld it to the frame. I am going to come in from the frame to the 180 with some dom to brace it and make some braces for the backside of it also. Maybe I will get a little done this weekend and you will see what I am talking about. The uppers are just tacked there in the pics but that is the general area they are going to be in and the crossmember is just stuck in there.

Old 08-23-2008, 06:35 PM   #217
jkade

Got the 4 link tacked up and nothing is binding what so ever so I am going to weld everything up tomorrow. I am going to weld in the braces when I take the body back off and get ready to have the frame blasted. I ordered a body mount kit and I am going to put the body back on next and get the steering in order, build my motor mounts, trans mount, and then it will be time to start on the body. Here are the pics.....

Last edited by jkade; 08-23-2008 at 09:40 PM.
Old 08-23-2008, 07:18 PM   #218
68 short step

it looks good
68 short step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 07:28 PM   #219
pcorriveau951

jkade, dont know if you already are planning this, but you may want to add some gussets on top of your lower front link mounts to keep tham from bending upwards.

nice job on the four link.
pcorriveau951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 09:39 PM   #220
jkade

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcorriveau951 View Post
jkade, dont know if you already are planning this, but you may want to add some gussets on top of your lower front link mounts to keep tham from bending upwards.

nice job on the four link.
Yes, I have a bunch of gussets to build.. Thanks
Old 08-29-2008, 04:59 PM   #221
aggie91
I'm just glad to be here!

Quote:
Arrogant?? Why would I pay $1400 for something I can and am building myself for less than $100 and have only about 20 hrs in building? For the people that want to build one on there own, when I get done I will give you the measurements and you can build your own also. I bet I don't have anymore time than the next person building his project consedering I work 6 days a week and only get to work on my stuff a few hours a week. I bet I don't make the money that most people do also so I have to save money where I can. I appreciate everybody's opnion but what I am building is my only option for getting my suspension installed. Also when I am at a show and someone ask where did you get the crossmember for the c4 stuff, I will glady say "I built it myself".
Just got thru this whole thread, I really like this build and to say you did it yourself is great. I am with you on that!! I do as much as I can on all of my vehicles, I just know where my limits are and get help where I need it. I did not see anything that comes off as arrogant, you just know what you are doing and can do this stuff yourself.

Keep up the good work, can't wait to see this done and hear about how well it rides/handles and runs...

1965 Chevy Stepside(Grandpa's Old Blue) and (July 2015 Shop Build!)(2020, the Saga Continues)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=372424

The LST Challenge:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7812257

Korbin's 1st Square: "Sunburn"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=418618

1985 GMC Sierra: "White Trash", Korbin's 2nd now...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632305

Henry - 1984 Chevrolet, Owen's 1st Square
aggie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 05:04 PM   #222
aggie91
I'm just glad to be here!

Quote:
Arrogant?? Why would I pay $1400 for something I can and am building myself for less than $100 and have only about 20 hrs in building? For the people that want to build one on there own, when I get done I will give you the measurements and you can build your own also. I bet I don't have anymore time than the next person building his project consedering I work 6 days a week and only get to work on my stuff a few hours a week. I bet I don't make the money that most people do also so I have to save money where I can. I appreciate everybody's opnion but what I am building is my only option for getting my suspension installed. Also when I am at a show and someone ask where did you get the crossmember for the c4 stuff, I will glady say "I built it myself".
Just got thru this whole thread, I really like this build and to say you did it yourself is great. I am with you on that!! I do as much as I can on all of my vehicles, I just know where my limits are and get help where I need it. I did not see anything that comes off as arrogant, you just know what you are doing and can do this stuff yourself.

Keep up the good work, can't wait to see this done and hear about how well it rides/handles and runs...

1965 Chevy Stepside(Grandpa's Old Blue) and (July 2015 Shop Build!)(2020, the Saga Continues)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=372424

The LST Challenge:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7812257

Korbin's 1st Square: "Sunburn"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=418618

1985 GMC Sierra: "White Trash", Korbin's 2nd now...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632305

Henry - 1984 Chevrolet, Owen's 1st Square
aggie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 07:32 PM   #223
jkade

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie91 View Post

I appreciate it , I can't afford things that most folks can so I have to save where ever I can. Don't think for a minute that I won't tell someone where the copy of the crossmember came from as Nathan Poter desrves all the credit. I don't know a lot but between friends and family I get a lot of help and knowledge.
Thanks, Kade

Last edited by jkade; 08-29-2008 at 07:36 PM.
Old 09-01-2008, 04:18 PM   #224
jkade

Got the body back on, sheet metal hung, and the core support mounts made and welded in place. Going to have to do a lot of filling gaps with filler rods to make every thing line up perfect but it will be time well spent. This was probably the last day I will get to work on it for a month or so since I will probably be a father by this time next week.

Last edited by jkade; 09-01-2008 at 04:19 PM.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:32 AM   #225
pcorriveau951

jkade, on the front c4 suspension, where did you get the angle that the upper control arms have to mount at? if you could possible supply me with that angle it would be greatly appricated.
I say very good job on building your own front crossmember for the c4 suspension, like you i would love to purchase the dropmember for nate but i dont see the point in spending that type of money right now ( no offense to nate, i know that what he has to charge to make a profit), i too am going to build my own c4 suspension setup/ thank you for the inspiration and keep up the great work this thing is looking amazing
pcorriveau951 is offline   Reply With Quote