The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-19-2009, 02:45 AM   #1
Jvsapp

93 corolla JDM 20V swap

Ok so I figure that being my daily driver developed a knock(probably due to some street racing) and it has 170K miles i'm about due for a new motor. So I've been dream building in my mind for a while what I would like to do with the car once the engine crapped out. I definitely wanted to go 5 speed, but what engine. A SBC wouldn't fit, so I figured I keep it in the Toyota family. Original motor is a 7AF, twin overhead cam, 115 HP stock. It shares the same family as the 4AG series motors. These motors are notorious for having a high rev and are popular in the drifting world. They came supercharged in US MR2 or in some JDM(Japan Domestic Market) Corollas. There are also turbo kits that will up the horse power of a 4AG to the 160hp range(blue top 16V version, or red top 16V high comp version). Doing more research, i stumbled across some other interesting swaps. I found a link to a 3SGTE(celica all trac turbo or MR2 turbo) motor in the same car I have. Now this started the wheels of thinking. My mother has a 99 Camry that has a 1MZ V6 in it. While swapping the radiator for my coworker one day I noticed on her 97 Camry that she had a 5SGE. This prompted some more research and i found that the 3SGTE shares the same block family as the 5SGE. Now my brain was flying. Could i stick a 1MZ all aluminum V6 into my corolla? 220hp stock. That would be a total sleeper. I had already gotten a 5 speed tranny from a 4AGE silvertop that my friend put into his 86 corolla. But that wouldn't work with the 1MZ. A month back I was able to acquire a 5 speed tranny that came from a 3SGTE MR2. This i found shares the same bell housing as the 1MZ so I thought I was on my way. That was when I noticed a nice knock at 3K rpm.... so I had to do something with my car.

I wound up buying this:

http://tinyurl.com/dkd5at

and it just arrived. So here it is sitting in the back of my truck all 1280lbs of it.

i'll probably start tearing it down tomorrow. enjoy

Last edited by Jvsapp; 03-19-2009 at 02:52 AM.
Jvsapp is offline   Reply With Quote