The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-24-2021, 10:35 AM   #1
70ssclone

Static spring drop on my 55?

Hey guys, I recently snagged this ol 55 . It's pretty original as far as drivetrain it has a 235 with a 3spd and the original style suspension. Im not sure if any leaves have been taken put but I'm assuming it's stock height? I want to drop the truck but only enough that I'm not dealing with modifying much as far as a bed notch or bad steering geometry. Was hoping other members could list their setups on a Beam style axle and maybe point me in the right direction as what to buy .
Attached Images

70ssclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 02:38 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Static spring drop on my 55?

The truck looks stock height when it is upright.

You can scroll down the page to the 3100 diagram and find measurements that show how high the bed floor is off the ground (about 28 inches + /- )

https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/doc...2nd-Series.pdf

Right now one of the other guys is laughing and telling himself that "I knew 48 would show that photo again" This is what happens after a while when you remove several leaves from your springs in an attempt to get the truck low enough. This is on my truck so I am not badmouthing anyone else and my quick and nasty lowering job so I could drive the truck to two events late in 1989 before a planned chassis redo ended up being daily driven for 15 or more years before the 250 got so worn out it wouldn't run.

I'm not saying don't do it but this is what happens when you do do it, The springs give out eventually plus personal experience of driving my truck over 100 K that way says that it really messes with steering and handling.

The photo of your truck was supposed to be at the top after I straightened it.
Attached Images

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 06:38 PM   #3
nvrdone

I wouldnt remove leaves or heat the springs to lower the front end. As 48 shows that messes with clearance between the chassis and bump stops. Plus your steering goes all wonky. I did it and regretted it immediatly. I then used a 3" dropped axle from Nostalga Sid -droppedaxles.com. 3" seems to be the lowest with out messing with your scrub line. check out Sid's web site. Lots of good info.
49 chevy 3100 3 window. 327 / m21 4 spd, 12 bolt w/ 3:55's
Bought in 1973 for $235.00. Had it longer than my wife & Kids!!
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 07:25 PM   #4
70ssclone

Thanks guys, so I can tell you that the front has 2 leaves and the back has 8 . I'm not sure what's stock. I'm guessing the PO pulled leaves from the front but left the rears stock.. sorry about the crooked pics I don't know why it does that ..
Attached Images

Old 07-24-2021, 08:06 PM   #5
mr48chev

I'm thinking that you don't have any room to go on the front as far as altering the springs any more than they are. You can see that the bumpers on top of the axle have already been cut off short like mine are. You can also see that the bumper has been banging on the frame a lot.

On the rear it looks like there have been a few leaves removed already.

If you open the link to the pfd that I posted in post 2 an scroll down the page to the springs you will see that the front springs should have 6 leaves and the rears should have either 6 or 8 in the main spring pack. 2 stage had 6 leaves in the main pack plus the overload pack.

I think there is a kit to raise the shackles on the frame in the rear to lower the rear an not flip the axle and use a C notch.

On the front I don't know where those two thick leaves came from but bet that the ride quality isn't that great along with it not being as low as you want.
Attached Images

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 07-24-2021, 08:13 PM   #6
mr48chev

Posies did make a two leaf 3 inch drop spring for TF trucks and if the ends of the second leaf taper that may be what you have.
Attached Images

Old 07-24-2021, 08:53 PM   #7
70ssclone

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
Posies did make a two leaf 3 inch drop spring for TF trucks and if the ends of the second leaf taper that may be what you have.
Thanks ! The leaf does taper so I'm guessing he just did posies in the front and took some out of the rear. So I wonder if I did a 2" drop axle up front and the Shackle kit out back if that would get me what I want . Doesn't need to be crazy low just don't care for how Tall it is currently but I do like the rake it has I think a little rake on these trucks with that swept cab looks killer.