The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-25-2012, 10:23 PM   #76
C-10cutty

Re: Complete T5 swap thread - one way to skin the cat

Thanks for the wealth of info Jocko. I'm going to look at a '93 t5 out of an S=10 tomorrow and will be looking for a Camaro main case this fall. My truck still has stock 3.90 gears so first would be just a crawl.
C-10cutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:31 AM   #77
jocko

Thanks C10cutty - if it's a 93 S10 you're going to look at, it could very well be a WC T5, if it is - I'd just add a spacer and not worry about the Camaro main case. But might be worthwhile to check the part number tag and see what you have - then cross check it against some of the links in this thread to see if the ratios work for your applicaiton - if they don't, then the Camaro main case might be better for you.

Good luck.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:15 AM   #78
C-10cutty

Thanks again. Will be taking tag info.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:15 PM   #79
CRGRS 66

Hey Jocko, have another question for you. I have been contemplating rebuilding my 283 (stk horsepower listed as 145), but considering the cost and time involved it seems to make more sense to get a crate engine. I also want more horsepower, not for burn outs, but for pulling a camper. I am looking at a 350 crate engine that advertises 275HP with a 2bbl. I would likely add another 10-20 HP with my edelbrock intake at 600cfm holley 4bbl, as well as adding headers. So, let's say that I will have 290HP. Is this too much for a NWC T5 if I don't drive it like a teenager?

My build thread, CRGRS 66 Winter Build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...09#post5638709
CRGRS 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:36 PM   #80
jocko

I'd say it's probably borderline. Good that no burnouts are planned - but pulling a camper is probably the bigger concern - that will stress a trans also, not via burnout shock. How big of a camper are you talking about?

If I'm not mistaken, stock Mustang WC T5's were only rated at close to 300 hp - but it's the torque that'll kill the trans, not the hp, per se.

If it's a small trailer and you're going to go easy on it like you say - then probably no problem - if you're talking 5th wheel max GVWR setup, then the bigger engine won't matter, the continual load will kill it. Hauling heavy isn't really in the T5's playbook. But again, if small camper, pop-up type or small old-school, should be ok. But to be honest, might be pushing it a bit (the load of the camper, not the crate engine). My 2 cents only though, don't know of a real definitive source of just how much a T5 can withstand for hauling purposes...
Old 08-27-2012, 11:52 PM   #81
CRGRS 66

I currently have a small camper, similar to a trillium, or boler, but smaller. I am wanting to get a bigger camper though, like 18', GVW of approx 3000lbs...

My build thread, CRGRS 66 Winter Build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...09#post5638709
Old 08-27-2012, 11:58 PM   #82
jocko

oohhhhh..... I'd be sweatin that a little bit - 18' sounds like a monster to me.

Anyone else have any experience haulin a trailer that size with a T5??

Last edited by jocko; 08-28-2012 at 12:36 AM.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:37 AM   #83
shok

Maybe find out what the tow ratings were in T5 equipped s10's?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-28-2012, 08:44 AM   #84
CRGRS 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by shok View Post
Maybe find out what the tow ratings were in T5 equipped s10's?
Posted via Mobile Device
good call, thanks, will look into that and post up what I find

Old 08-28-2012, 09:09 AM   #85
CRGRS 66

I found this, which was apparently taken from original vehicle spec's, 5spd manual was listed as standard equipment, horsepower was listed as 180 with a 4.6L V6

Payload & Towing 2WD
Standard Towing (lb.) 1600
Maximum Towing (lb.) 5900
Standard Payload (lb.) 1246
Maximum Payload (lb.) 1622
Standard GVWR (lb.) 4200
Maximum GVWR (lb.) 4600

I also read that in general maximum towing should not exceed GVW, max Maximum GVW Rating on my truck is listed as 5000lbs..., 18' trailers are well under that, I would think that pulling a 3000lb trailer 3-5 times a year shouldn't be an issue.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:23 AM   #86
Bazooka
Keepin it old school

What would it take it get a aftermarket electric speedo working with a T-5? I already have the S-10 tailshaft and will be using a 88-92 WC T-5 from a Camaro. Do I still have to modify the output shaft to move the speedo gear location to get a electric speedo to work with the S-10 tailhousing like you do to usea mech. speedo? I'm not familiar with how electric speedos/senders work

Last edited by Bazooka; 09-02-2012 at 09:52 AM.
Bazooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:45 AM   #87
C-10cutty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazooka View Post
What would it take it get a aftermarket electric speedo working with a T-5? I already have the S-10 tailshaft and will be using a 88-92 WC T-5 from a Camaro. Do I still have to modify the output shaft to move the speedo gear location to get a electric speedo to work with the S-10 tailhousing like you do to usea mech. speedo? I'm not familiar with how electric speedos/senders work

Good question.

Picked up my tranny and it has a tag number of 222....1993 WC.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:36 AM   #88
silversnail86

Well thanks Jocko, just finished my t5 swap. Mine went into an 86 though. Still alot of useful info here. I love this trans compared to my 700r4. I didn't quite skin my cat the same as yours, I cut my trans to fit, but it works. And wouldn't ya know it there is a WC V8 Camaro T5 just posted on Craigslist in my area for 350. Oh well I am set up for the next trans anyway. Can't thank ya enough for the write up Jocko.
silversnail86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:55 PM   #89
Bazooka
Keepin it old school

There is a couple T-5 S10 tailhousing and top covers on ebay right now if anyone is looking..
Old 10-16-2012, 09:05 AM   #90
brokenspoke

One thing to be aware of is the T-5 S10 is metric....the input shaft is 3 thousands smaller than the original transmission....I used a pilot bearing from the T-5...not using the metric bearing can cause a vibration

Last edited by brokenspoke; 10-16-2012 at 09:06 AM. Reason: sp
brokenspoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:26 PM   #91
jocko

That interesting Brokenspoke, thanks for posting. I had never heard this before. I used the sbc input bushing and did not develop any vibration. May have been luck. But if I ever do it again, I might choose to use the newer metric pilot bushing.

Here's the more important question - is the T5 metric pilot bushing designed for a metric opening in the back of the crankshaft?? If so, I'd be more concerned with that fit (pilot bearing in the crank) than the fit of the pilot shaft into the pilot bearing. Don't want that pilot bushing to slip in the crank.

If, however, the opening in the end of the crank is the same between old sbc and newer vehicles (that came with an T5), then I agree, metric pilot bushing is probably a better idea. Thanks again - great info.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:29 PM   #92
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazooka View Post
Bazooka and C10 Cutty, I wish I had a good answer for you. Most people are trying to convert a newer electronic speedo tailhousing to a mechanical speedo drive in the old trucks - but apparently you have an "older" T5 and an electronic speedo hookup in your truck (i.e. aftermarket gauges??)

I would think the easiest approach would be to find a later model T5 tailshaft housing. I would also be willing to bet there are about 50 guys on here with a newer T5 seeking a mech speedo hookup that would want to swap straight over becasue your tailshaft is the more desirable (i.e. in more demand).
Old 10-17-2012, 05:01 AM   #93
Bazooka
Keepin it old school

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
Bazooka and C10 Cutty, I wish I had a good answer for you. Most people are trying to convert a newer electronic speedo tailhousing to a mechanical speedo drive in the old trucks - but apparently you have an "older" T5 and an electronic speedo hookup in your truck (i.e. aftermarket gauges??)

I would think the easiest approach would be to find a later model T5 tailshaft housing. I would also be willing to bet there are about 50 guys on here with a newer T5 seeking a mech speedo hookup that would want to swap straight over becasue your tailshaft is the more desirable (i.e. in more demand).
I have a electric speedo S10 tailhousing (or did have I should say). Maybe I'm mistaken but I thought Camaro and S10 tailshafts have the hole in a different spot for the sensor? I know I can use the factory speed sensor but was wondering what if anything I would have had to do to the output shaft since I was going to use the electric speedo S10 tailshaft assuming the hole in the tailshaft is in a different spot like I thought. The 89 WC camaro t5 that I was able to do some trading for has a factory sensor in it. I punted the tailshaft I had for some quick cash so cant compare side by side. I'm not sure if I'll get another electric tailshaft or try to find a mechanical tailshaft. Depends on what the easiest way to have a working speedo is I guess. I dont have gauges yet.

Last edited by Bazooka; 10-17-2012 at 05:09 AM.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:55 AM   #94
brokenspoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
That interesting Brokenspoke, thanks for posting. I had never heard this before. I used the sbc input bushing and did not develop any vibration. May have been luck. But if I ever do it again, I might choose to use the newer metric pilot bushing.

Here's the more important question - is the T5 metric pilot bushing designed for a metric opening in the back of the crankshaft?? If so, I'd be more concerned with that fit (pilot bearing in the crank) than the fit of the pilot shaft into the pilot bearing. Don't want that pilot bushing to slip in the crank.

If, however, the opening in the end of the crank is the same between old sbc and newer vehicles (that came with an T5), then I agree, metric pilot bushing is probably a better idea. Thanks again - great info.
Both the old sbc and metric od of the bearings are the same
brokenspoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:46 PM   #95
Bazooka
Keepin it old school

I was able to dig up the answer. It may already be in this thread maybe I missed it. The hole for the speedo gear or sensor on S10 tailshafts is different then the camaro on both the electric and mech s10 tailshafts. So either way you have to modify your output shaft. You can swap WC s10 output shafts into WC camaro trans if you rather not modify the output shaft. I think same goes for non WC so you can swap a non WC s10 output shaft into a non wc Camaro trans. You cant mix WC and non WC tho. of course all this involves tearing down the tranny.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:59 PM   #96
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenspoke View Post
Both the old sbc and metric od of the bearings are the same
That's great info - thanks for sharing. I will definitely use a metric pilot bushing next go round. (Again, for those of you that did NOT use a metric one, I would not fret, I didn't either and it's still running strong with no vibrations - or at least it wasn't when I sold it last week... ) But the correct answer would be what brokenspoke outlined - pilot bushing from the S10 side of the equation (metric) vice original sae pilot bushing for a sbc.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:22 PM   #97
Summabish

Just pulled a t5 out of a 95 s10 should be starting the process of getting everything laid out for it. My question is do you need a support for the t5 when using the stock 3spd bellhousing? I've got an extra 3spd laying around for all build stuff so I don't have to wait until I pull the 3spd that is currently in the truck until I'm ready to preform the swap.
Posted via Mobile Device
Summabish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:01 AM   #98
jocko

no, if you have the normal engine mounts and the bell housing mounts, you should not use a rear trans mount. If, for some reason, you eliminated the bell mounts, then you'd need a trans crossmember. There should only be one additional mounting point in addition to the engine mounts themselves for the engine/trans combo - can be either the bell mounts OR a rear crossmember, but not both.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:56 AM   #99
socaljess

hey summa the 1995 s10 trans wont work on a chevy bellhousing it has the ford style mounting ears fyi you need a pre 92
socaljess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:38 AM   #100
brnrbrt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaljess View Post
hey summa the 1995 s10 trans wont work on a chevy bellhousing it has the ford style mounting ears fyi you need a pre 92
i have purchased flywheel ,clutch kit,new slave cylinder, and a t5 from a 85 camaro before i found this thread.i planned on using the stock camaro bellhousing and just add a crossmember to the rear of the trans. but you say the camaro bh has a twist, is this something that can be corrected by bending the shift arm before it enters the cab thru the floor?
brnrbrt1 is offline   Reply With Quote