The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-10-2009, 11:45 PM   #1
bluesfella

Smile Intro and the longest build thread you'll ever see.

Hey guys and gals. My name is Vance and this is my intro/build thread. Like the title says, this build is probably going to take a loooong time. I have no money, little time, and my wife and I are expecting our 2nd child ANY DAY NOW.

I bought this truck in the summer of '05 for $300. ('66 SWB Fleetside. Zero options, 250 inline 6.) It belonged to my friend's grandfather (2nd owner) who inherited it from his father (1st owner). After my buddy's grandfather died, it sat under a tree in Mississippi for almost a decade, rusting away. A tree fell on it, smashing in the hood and breaking the windshield.

I bought it, knowing I had my work cut out for me. But, when I put new gas in the tank, gapped the points, and put in a new battery, it fired right up! I did a bit of maintenance, replaced the whole braking system, and have been driving it semi-regularly for the past 4 years.

The rockers, floors, and door bottoms are completely shot. The more I uncover, the worse it gets. I found a new hood (the blue one) cheap on e-bay and just this week I found a mostly-rust-free parts truck less than an hour from me. I call it a parts truck, but the only thing it's missing is an engine.

My truck has perfect, never-touched fenders, bed, etc...the only parts that are rusty is the cab and the doors. This donor truck has very good doors and cab.

It even has a nice set of wheels the PO bought for it. (Not at all my style, though.)

The PO had this truck on his farm (it's a real barn find!) for 11 years. Was going to fix it up...never got around to it, etc. It's in remarkably good shape. I had pretty much lost hope of finding something like this in Florida.

So, my plan is to take the cab and doors from this donor truck, fix the few small problems with the donor cab (rear corners, small dings, etc.) and sell off the rest of the truck to finance this build.

Luckily, I do have some help:

Even with the help of my shop monkey, this build is going to take forever. But I wanted to do a proper intro and put this up here to keep me motivated. I'm sure I'll be pestering you guys with questions. This isn't my first old car (I currently drive a '55 Chevy BelAir as my daily), but it is my first ground-up restoration.

Plans are for a clean and simple resto-mod. Outside appearance will remain mostly stock, but I may paint the top of the cab white. Color will probably be turquoise and white. Lowered 2"/4", add disc brakes, carpet, and an original-appearing radio (that will actually just power my iPod). I'm keeping the 250 inline 6, but may switch the tranny to a T-5. That's about it.

Thanks for reading. I will post updates as I get stuff done, but like the title says, it's going to take me a long time.

Last edited by N2TRUX; 09-11-2009 at 10:52 AM.
bluesfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 11:56 PM   #2
SCOTI

Re: Intro and the longest build thread you'll ever see.

Nice introduction. I'm diggin' your build plan.

If you need anything, there's a lot of knowledge, ideas, & parts resources here @ your disposal; just let us know. Let the fun begin . . ....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 09-10-2009 at 11:56 PM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:00 AM   #3
bluesfella

Thanks, SCOTI! This is a great place, I've actually been a member here for about a year, and a lurker before that. Just never had much to add until now.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:03 AM   #4
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Good for you. Having a realistic vision and objectives can really help in the motivation department. It's much easier to stay enthused about a running vehicle than a pile of parts. I agree with SCOTI, nice introduction.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:49 AM   #5
JRBECK64

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfella View Post
Hey guys and gals. My name is Vance and this is my intro/build thread. Like the title says, this build is probably going to take a loooong time. I have no money, little time, and my wife and I are expecting our 2nd child ANY DAY NOW.

I bought this truck in the summer of '05 for $300. ('66 SWB Fleetside. Zero options, 250 inline 6.) It belonged to my friend's grandfather (2nd owner) who inherited it from his father (1st owner). After my buddy's grandfather died, it sat under a tree in Mississippi for almost a decade, rusting away. A tree fell on it, smashing in the hood and breaking the windshield.

I bought it, knowing I had my work cut out for me. But, when I put new gas in the tank, gapped the points, and put in a new battery, it fired right up! I did a bit of maintenance, replaced the whole braking system, and have been driving it semi-regularly for the past 4 years.

The rockers, floors, and door bottoms are completely shot. The more I uncover, the worse it gets. I found a new hood (the blue one) cheap on e-bay and just this week I found a mostly-rust-free parts truck less than an hour from me. I call it a parts truck, but the only thing it's missing is an engine.

My truck has perfect, never-touched fenders, bed, etc...the only parts that are rusty is the cab and the doors. This donor truck has very good doors and cab.

It even has a nice set of wheels the PO bought for it. (Not at all my style, though.)

The PO had this truck on his farm (it's a real barn find!) for 11 years. Was going to fix it up...never got around to it, etc. It's in remarkably good shape. I had pretty much lost hope of finding something like this in Florida.

So, my plan is to take the cab and doors from this donor truck, fix the few small problems with the donor cab (rear corners, small dings, etc.) and sell off the rest of the truck to finance this build. (Anybody need parts?)

Luckily, I do have some help:

Even with the help of my shop monkey, this build is going to take forever. But I wanted to do a proper intro and put this up here to keep me motivated. I'm sure I'll be pestering you guys with questions. This isn't my first old car (I currently drive a '55 Chevy BelAir as my daily), but it is my first ground-up restoration.

Plans are for a clean and simple resto-mod. Outside appearance will remain mostly stock, but I may paint the top of the cab white. Color will probably be turquoise and white. Lowered 2"/4", add disc brakes, carpet, and an original-appearing radio (that will actually just power my iPod). I'm keeping the 250 inline 6, but may switch the tranny to a T-5. That's about it.

Thanks for reading. I will post updates as I get stuff done, but like the title says, it's going to take me a long time.
bluesfella,
What a cool old truck. I love to hear the stories about the old truck that has been waiting for someone to come along and save it from Rust Heaven. Its great that your Son is out there even if it is just for moral support. I have been doing a resto on my Sons 64 Shortwide and its been a 2 month marathon so far. We had it for about 10 years now and just now got to the Resto. We still have a million things to do but its coming together. The big difference with my build is my Son is 18 and he is pouring himself into the build. He actually painted about 60% of the Base Coat and about 80% of the Clear Coat. Its great to teach your kids and great to hear your plans for that great old truck that your Son will be driving Someday.
JRBECK64

Last edited by N2TRUX; 09-11-2009 at 10:53 AM.
JRBECK64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:50 AM   #6
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Nice project, good luck and we'll try and answer as many questions as possible.
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 07:18 AM   #7
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

Nice story and intro. I think your in the same boat as most of us. Married with children and a little bit of life thrown in there. Good luck and stay focused. This forum helps me stay on track. It gets to a point with myself that if I don't post any progress, I feel l've let people down. Or something like that. I think the biggest job in front of you is having the longest build thread.
Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 07:42 AM   #8
4dranch
Shloooooong bed member #2

Welcome Vance from West Tn.
Nice start to your rig. cool story about the truck...

And everyone needs a good shop monkey..

Daughters 66 truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=484601

Learning to drive a 3 on the tree:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcCMvRgBo1Q
4dranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:04 AM   #9
Byronic
The Beach Cruiser

Welcome Vance. Sounds like we both are on the same track. I'm down here in Panama City and plan on taking trips to your town for parts and such. if you need any help just holler.
1967 Schwinn Tandem Single Speed
Byronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:18 AM   #10
bluesfella

Thanks, guys! I think by the time my son is driving age, we should be about done with the truck.

I plan on doing everything to this truck myself. I might farm out re-upholstering the seat, but I may even give that a try. Engine, trans, welding, paint...I'm going to do it all myself. The only thing I'm not that comfortable with is paint, but I'm going to try it anyway.

Here's one question for you guys: As I fix the few rust issues, I'll spray some epoxy primer to keep it clean until I can do the whole truck. Does it matter which brand I use? I don't know yet which paint I'll be using, and I know you aren't supposed to mix brands on certain things.

Or does it matter - should I just sand off whatever primer I put on it and re-spray once I'm ready to do the whole truck?
Old 09-11-2009, 10:30 AM   #11
SCOTI

I like the PPG DP Epoxy product line (DP90, etc...). It's higher priced but worth the cost because it's like an OE coating
https://buyat.ppg.com/refinishProduc...3-e87c240f4c09
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 09-11-2009 at 10:35 AM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:55 AM   #12
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Welcome to the forum bluesfella. You have found the best place on the net to come for resources and encouragement. Good luck and keep us posted.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:58 AM   #13
likaroc13
Rollin' Old Skool

from NW Florida...i like your plans & look forward to seeing the progress...good luck with the build!
likaroc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:13 AM   #14
Chevy Fleetside

Welcome to the dark side..

65 Short Fleetside BBC
65 Long Fleetside 283 3 on the tree for now.
my build thread http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=259536
Chevy Fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 02:13 PM   #15
MacAttack
283 Drama Queen

Welcome from the other coast. x2 on the PPG DP Epoxy

Mac.
Old 09-12-2009, 01:50 AM   #16
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Welcome to the board Vance

I enjoyed reading your intro and your plan for your truck. I can relate to the long build part too.

I have used the PPG DP Epoxy also. It is a good product but it is $$. But probably not much more than any other good epoxy. Another PPG primer that I've had good luck with is NCP271. I like it partly because it doesn't contain chrome, lead or isocyanites. You might check into PPG's Omni line epoxy primer too. There are other brands of good epoxy too, but not all that I'm familar with may be available to you. I've heard good reviews on products from http://www.southernpolyurethanes.com also.

Let us know when you have questions or issues.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE

Last edited by Captainfab; 09-12-2009 at 02:03 AM.
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 02:25 AM   #17
JRBECK64

Vance,
If your doing welding or bodywork where you have taken it all the way down to the metal you need to apply an Acid Etch Primer. That will chemically Etch the surface and then you will have a layer that the primer will stick to. Before you put the Acid Etch on there you need to make sure and clean the area extremely good with some PPG 330 wax and grease remover. I haven't been doing this very long but I have been working with a Mentor that has painted over 100 cars. I would suggest that you do your homework and if you know someone that paints to get them to Mentor you through your first paint job. Good Luck again with your project.

JRBECK64
Old 09-12-2009, 08:07 PM   #18
bluesfella

So, acid etch primer first, then epoxy primer? And then 2k primer later to sand?
Old 09-12-2009, 11:51 PM   #19
ruffrida2005
Member of the longbed union.

I dont think you need to etch then epoxy, as they both seal the metal. most use epoxy then body work. then 2k primer. I dont know much about paint, but I think I'm pretty right. I used DP90 on my frame and recommend it.

88 GMC Crew Cab dually, 454/T400

64 LWB 400 HP 350/350T Bagged, under construction! Sold most of it!

92 S10 Iron Duke 5 speed, 5/7 drop for now. soon to be bagged. Sold http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...59#post4637759
ruffrida2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 12:09 AM   #20
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Everything I've ever read says never use etch primer under epoxy, they aren't compatible. Most professional web forums recommend epoxy primer on bare metal. It's main benefit is the ability to grip the metal, and what goes on top. It's recommended the epoxy go on first, even under body filler. I left my tailgate in PPG DP90 for 5 years and although it faded over time, it never allowed any rust to start.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 01:37 AM   #21
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I agree. I've been told to not use etching primer under epoxy also. I have also been told that the NCP line of PPG primers is a little better on bare sanded steel than DP. I have used DP and left uncoated for extended periods with good results, but it was the old DP that had lead in it. I prefer to have my metal abrasive blasted whenever possible. It is best to get rid of the old finish totally and it provides for a superior grip for the epoxy......IMHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post
Everything I've ever read says never use etch primer under epoxy, they aren't compatible. Most professional web forums recommend epoxy primer on bare metal. It's main benefit is the ability to grip the metal, and what goes on top. It's recommended the epoxy go on first, even under body filler. I left my tailgate in PPG DP90 for 5 years and although it faded over time, it never allowed any rust to start.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 07:05 AM   #22
63sbssbbw
UCA63

Cool story
cool truck
A rust free original cab,,,,what's that LOL
T
member#7816
"63 sb ss bbw 350\350 12 bolt rear Pwr Fr Disc PS tilt
'61 GMC in progress
'63 GMC to use for parts
'90 Chevy Ext cab sbfs 5.7l (current d d)
63sbssbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 09:13 AM   #23
xratt

Cool truck! Great to see more guys in FL. I'm about half way though my rebuild. I have a 1966 C10. It's a lot bigger project then i first intented. This is suppose to be my daily driver. But i could only keep it running 3 weeks or so and gave up. Decided to tear it apart and redo the motor. Then my eye were bigger then my budget, and i tore everything apart. I'm slowly getting it back together. I just decided i want a spare grill. I want to keep my stock one, and i want one i can modify. If you have a spare one from your parts truck, let me know.

Good luck on yours. I will check back often.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...9&goto=newpost
xratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 10:40 AM   #24
Mordachai
Fat Fendered Fleetside

welcome to the board from hot and humid S. FL.

looks like a great plan for a nice build!

radiused fiberglass fender project for 67-72
Mordachai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 04:36 PM   #25
JRBECK64

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfella View Post
So, acid etch primer first, then epoxy primer? And then 2k primer later to sand?
bluesfella,
I have never used Epoxy Primer so I was not aware it did the same thing as the Acid Etch Primer. I usually do my bodywork, Hammer the metal as close to flat as Possible, Then Apply an Acid Etch Primer to the surface where the metal is bare. Then I do my bodywork with the filler. After I do the bodywork with the filler I then apply a High Build Primer and sand it down with 150 Grit and a long board. I then Spray a Sealer Coat on the truck and do a 500 Grit wet sand. Each coat or Layer I put on the truck I use a Guide Coat so I can tell when the truck is sanded properly. Once the Sealer is properly Sanded I then apply the Base Coat and then the Clear Coat. It sounds pretty easy when you put it on paper but not when your doing it. I have found that its easy to manipulate the sanding blocks or longboard to make sanding the guidecoats real easy but that doesn't mean that you have sanded it right. All this comes with time and experience. I just painted my sons truck and I can go around it and tell where I didn't do as good as I would have liked to. But again its all about learning. Good Luck with your truck.

JRBECK64