The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-15-2012, 01:36 PM   #1
OneOffStroker

Rebuild Thrash

Well, I'm getting ready to do a 10-day thrash on my 1969 Suburban. I plan to start tonight a little and finish on Sunday the 25th. Here's what I have on my plate:

(I'll post some pics in a day or so, because I know you're already thinking that...)

- 5.3L/4L60E swap
- Paint & reassemble 5.3/4L60E
- Complete re-wire of truck with EZ-Wiring 21 circuit harness
- Make and install patch panels on floorboards and cowl (it's BAADDDD)
- Aftermarket Heat & A/C install
- RAAM mat BXT II & Ensolite on firewall & doors (will do floors after I procure some carpet to protect it)
- Exhaust modification to hookup 5.3
- Fabricate seat mounts and install seats (leather w/ heat from '03 PT Cruiser)
- Install new B&M Shifter
- Install 3/4 drop springs, 2" rear lowering blocks, 2.5"drop spindles, c-notch
- Modify stock trailing arm crossmember (cut holes for exhaust and flip arm mounts upside-down for pinion angle adjustment)
- Press in new driveshaft support bearing
- Install new front disc brake kit & steering components
- Fabricate and install new fuel system for 5.3
- Swap new tires onto new wheels (5-lug front/6-lug rear)
- Possibly shorten driveshaft (I hope to avoid this with 3" forward adapter plates on motor)
- Tune ECM to remove VATS & other garbage

Well, that's the gist of it. As always, there is a bunch more to do, and a lot of stuff that pops up. I already have 95% or more of the parts either in my garage or supposedly en route to me. I'm taking on this job solo, and I feel good about getting it all done in the time allotted. I've searched and scoured several forums over the last 2 months, and I feel like I have all my ducks in a row. I have already set up the wiring harness for stand-alone operation and prepped a bunch of stuff, so it's time to thrash now.

Please stay tuned and stand by for any questions I'll have. I'm sure some stuff will pop up as I dig into this pig.

Wish me luck!
OneOffStroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:49 PM   #2
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: Rebuild Thrash

Damn 10 days, you must keep meth in your toolbox, I can't get that much done that quick.
I know how it feels tho, I started mine hoping to get it done in 2-3 weekends. The basic swap was done in that, but all the little stuff started coming up.

3" forward mounts? That is going to be really far forward IMO. Mines prob 1.5" forward of stock for firewall clearance, I feel like 3" would really put her far up. Exactly which mounts are you using? I know you don't want to shorten the DS, but the splines on the output shaft would be different on that 4l60e anyway (or do you have a 700r4 in it now?).

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:55 PM   #3
ls1nova71

Good luck man! But you're probably seriously underestimating the ammount of work you have in front of you. Have you done this kind of thing before? It's not going to be as easy as an episode of Overhaulin makes it appear.
Posted via Mobile Device

5.3 swap into my RUSTY '71 C10
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...71-c-10-a.html
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 03:19 PM   #4
OneOffStroker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
Damn 10 days, you must keep meth in your toolbox, I can't get that much done that quick.
I know how it feels tho, I started mine hoping to get it done in 2-3 weekends. The basic swap was done in that, but all the little stuff started coming up.

3" forward mounts? That is going to be really far forward IMO. Mines prob 1.5" forward of stock for firewall clearance, I feel like 3" would really put her far up. Exactly which mounts are you using? I know you don't want to shorten the DS, but the splines on the output shaft would be different on that 4l60e anyway (or do you have a 700r4 in it now?).
Well, my work schedule is lax, and my wife will be out of town for half of this, so it's massive garage time. I think I'll be OK.
A 4L60E is around 2.5" longer than my TH400, so starting from the driveshaft forward, 3" will give me room to get er done...I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1nova71 View Post
Good luck man! But you're probably seriously underestimating the ammount of work you have in front of you. Have you done this kind of thing before? It's not going to be as easy as an episode of Overhaulin makes it appear.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah...this isn't my first rodeo. Also, I'm the best wrench I've ever seen, so that helps.
Old 03-15-2012, 04:41 PM   #5
c10seconds

Post pics! We want to see what you're workin with
Posted via Mobile Device
c10seconds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:17 AM   #6
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOffStroker View Post
A 4L60E is around 2.5" longer than my TH400, so starting from the driveshaft forward
ya but you didn't really answer my question. What mounts are you using, and why are you moving the engine that far forward just to try and keep a stock length DS, when you'll need to get a new ds yolk anyway since the 4l60e is a 27 spline? I'd think you'd have better luck keeping the engine further back (more room up front, more weight behind crossmember) and just changing the ds length and getting the correct yolk on at the same time.
I guess I'm curious, it seems like the long way around the problem.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:12 AM   #7
OneOffStroker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
ya but you didn't really answer my question. What mounts are you using, ... you'll need to get a new ds yolk anyway since the 4l60e is a 27 spline? ... (more weight behind crossmember) ... getting the correct yolk on at the same time... I guess I'm curious, it seems like the long way around the problem.
I'm using these plates: http://www.ebay.com/itm/LS1-Conversi...r#ht_725wt_921 which I re-drilled to put the original mounts on the other side.

I already have a new yoke, so no surprises there. When putting a new yoke on anything, it's always a good idea to put new u-joints in as well. This is where I get some adapter u-jounts to put the new yoke on the old shaft, and don't have to get anything drastically changed.

I'm not really concerned about the motor being a little bit forward. This is a Suburban, not an autocross car, so 50/50 weight isn't much of an issue.

But hey...if it all goes to ****, I can use the motor mounts as intended, move the motor back, shorten the DS, and keep on truckin.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:49 PM   #8
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Ok that makes way more sense now. Your initial post made it sound as if you planned to reuse the entire stock ds (yolk and all).

Old 03-18-2012, 09:13 PM   #9
OneOffStroker

I got a little bit of work done this weekend, but not much. I chilled with the wife too much...bad for progress.

Anyways...I had a revelation Saturday and have something fun in store for my Burb. I was thinking about what gauges to get, since I'll need and electric speedometer anyways. I wasn't too happy with the thought of spending $500-$900 on gauges, so I thought I was just going to go without. Then I remembered that I have a complete cluster from a 1989 Trans Am GTA that I bought a few years ago to modify and replace the Atari dash in my '87 Vette. I sold the Vette but kept the cluster. Now with some creative cutting and wiring, I'll have a badass new dash. What's even better is that the Burb has 88k miles on it, and the GTA gauges have 82k, so mileage will stay close to original. Cool stuff.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:29 AM   #10
OneOffStroker

Well, I"m still waiting on parts. I'm fed up with Brother's. I placed my order on January 28th. I am STILL waiting on parts, and they claim to have sent the stuff out 2 weeks ago, but nobody has a tracking number or anything for it. Jerks.

But, despite all that, I got the truck in the shop and removed the front clip, cowl, and took out all the engine wiring in preparation to rewire the whole deal. There is a bit more cancer in the cowl than I expected, so a complete cowl/firewall smoothing will happen in the next 2 days. I'm going to fill in the kick panel vents as well...I just don't want to deal with them. besides, I never even opened the ones in my '57, so I probably won't ever use these ones either.

I swear I'll take pics today and post tonight.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:18 PM   #11
OneOffStroker

So...the thrash is getting rearranged. The suspension and brakes are officially going to be a no-show. Brother's forgot to send it, apparently. It's OK though, because he is crediting me all of my shipping costs back, which tally almost $200.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:23 PM   #12
OneOffStroker

Some pics:

First: Just pulled motor. Needs cleaned, eh?
Second: The P.O. used fiberglass to bridge the rust gap in the firewall
Third: Passenger outer cowl. The driver's side looks just as bad.
Fourth: Windshield wiper motor. WTF??!!??
Fifth: You can see more fiberglass where the kick panel meets the toeboard. Oh...this is gonna be fun to fix. =(
Attached Images

Last edited by OneOffStroker; 03-21-2012 at 10:33 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:47 PM   #13
OneOffStroker

First: P.O. cut the coils so short, it was on the bumpstops with the motor in, and shocks totally bottomed. This is why I need those parts that didn't ship yet. Ugh.
Second: The 5.3 and 4L60E sexied up.
Third: Gutted. HA!
Fourth: Teaser of the interior. Heated Leather from an '03 PT Cruiser turbo.

More to come later.
Attached Images

Old 03-22-2012, 09:50 AM   #14
noonzor

power to ya man, stop posting pics and go GIT R DUNN!!!

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=360622
noonzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:02 PM   #15
OneOffStroker

It's gettin' real now!
Attached Images

Old 03-22-2012, 11:39 PM   #16
OneOffStroker

Smooth firewall, anyone?
I'm engineering this so rust will never be an issue again.
Attached Images

Old 03-23-2012, 09:32 AM   #17
noonzor

sweet

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=360622
noonzor is offline   Reply With Quote