The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-23-2012, 03:33 PM   #1
Smurfeh

Adapter Plates and Engine Mounts

Hey everyone.

Well, I'm at the point where I'm almost ready to finish buttoning up the engine on the stand and drop it into the truck.. it'll be a week or so before I do that, and wanted to order up my adapters and mounts.

I've looked all over and didn't really find anything that pretained to my specific install.

I would like to keep the engine in the original location if I could, I'm going to be using a 4L60e behind it.. Will I need to relocated my trans X-member? or would there be an adpater for that as well that I could use?

If someone could point me in a direction that would make this as painless as possible it would be great.

truck is 1984 k5 Blazer, engine is 2007 5.3, with 4L60e

Thank you for your time and efforts!
Smurfeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:40 PM   #2
Smurfeh

Re: Adapter Plates and Engine Mounts

Also I forgot to mention, I would also like to know what Adapter plates for the engine and what my option for mounts are.. ie: adapter plates with SBC mounts or adapter plates, with 5.3 mounts.. just looking for some good info!
Old 03-23-2012, 10:44 PM   #3
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Depends on your application. 2 or 4wd? 1" setback adapter plates should put the bell housing flange in the same relative position as stock, but may cause fitment problems elsewhere. Most just move the trans crossmember and drill new holes as necessary...
Posted via Mobile Device

Instagram _elgringoloco_

'70 Short-Wide How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10
‘70 Blazer ConversionHow To: Ruin a Perfectly Good 4wd
'72 Highlander How To: Ruin a Perfectly Good K/5 (SOLD)
'72 Blazer 2WD How to: Ruin a perfectly good Blazer (SOLD)
'05 Yukon Daily Driven (not so stock) Yukon (SOLD)
‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy
gringoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:41 AM   #4
Smurfeh

4wd I've just been curious, cause I have read about people trying to keep it in the stock location, others moving it 1" back, and others moving it up too 3" forward.. I was planning on trying to land it in the stock location and then deal with the other issues that would arise as they came..

I'm hoping to run dual exhaust, using the stock manifold.. and I've heard of fitment issues with that.. So maybe that is why someone would have moved it back 1" to make it clear?? I'm not sure.... I'm just trying to look ahead here and save myself some headache.. I'm quite capable of dealing with it on the fly.. just prefer to be a step ahead..
Old 03-24-2012, 02:01 PM   #5
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

4wd brings a whole seperate set of issues with the transfer case and driveshafts. Hopefully you can find someone around here who has done it already and worked through them. I have not seen anyone use truck manifolds successfully without cutting the frame...

Instagram _elgringoloco_

'70 Short-Wide How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10
‘70 Blazer ConversionHow To: Ruin a Perfectly Good 4wd
'72 Highlander How To: Ruin a Perfectly Good K/5 (SOLD)
'72 Blazer 2WD How to: Ruin a perfectly good Blazer (SOLD)
'05 Yukon Daily Driven (not so stock) Yukon (SOLD)
‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy
gringoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:47 PM   #6
Crash_OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurfeh View Post
Hey everyone.

Well, I'm at the point where I'm almost ready to finish buttoning up the engine on the stand and drop it into the truck.. it'll be a week or so before I do that, and wanted to order up my adapters and mounts.

I've looked all over and didn't really find anything that pretained to my specific install.

I would like to keep the engine in the original location if I could, I'm going to be using a 4L60e behind it.. Will I need to relocated my trans X-member? or would there be an adpater for that as well that I could use?

If someone could point me in a direction that would make this as painless as possible it would be great.

truck is 1984 k5 Blazer, engine is 2007 5.3, with 4L60e

Thank you for your time and efforts!

Smurfeh,

In order to leave the Transfercase in it original position you will most likely need to move the engine forward 1.875". The allows you to use the driveshafts without modification.

Most of us who have done the 4wd LS swap have had to use sometype of engine crossmember. See below for the write up I did on the x-member install.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&postcount=122

Also, you may have to install a different tailshaft to mate up to your transfercase. See below.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...4&postcount=82

The FAQ for the LS Swap is a great place to start. It has been put together by some very talented people on this forum..

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=456787

Good luck with your project...

Crash's 69 4x4 SWB

Crash's Roof over Lake Home

Crash's 1988 Land Cruiser Build
Crash_OK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:03 AM   #7
my4by2

We went with the set-up from Pacific Fabrication for my truck. It's a really nice one for 4x4 vehicles!!!
Attached Images

D60 + 14-bolt FF w/ Eaton posi + disc brakes
Skyjacker 2.5" full spring lift w/ Nitro shocks
Custom paint + interior
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=435722
my4by2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:35 PM   #8
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Check out Dirty ingo also. They offer a set of 4x4 mounts that use the original frame mounting locations, but are adjustable at the engine.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:47 PM   #9
Crash_OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy View Post
Check out Dirty ingo also. They offer a set of 4x4 mounts that use the original frame mounting locations, but are adjustable at the engine.
I bought the DD 4x4 mount plates before I bought the PF x-member. The DD 4x4 plates would not work, not so much because of the DD plates, but due to the factory crossmember being to narrow. I am not sure Dirty Dingo is still selling the plates..

Crash's 69 4x4 SWB

Old 03-29-2012, 09:14 PM   #10
Smurfeh

Mhhmm well I've been looking at the dirty dingo mounts before.. these ones actually
http://dirtydingo.com/store/product_...oducts_id=1369

I would definitely like to avoid having to change the forward crossmember.. but if its unavoidable i'll bite the bullet. Notice that you guys are rocking 70's chevs, same crossmember on the 84? Ive already convinced myself i'll have to relocate the trans x-member...
Old 03-29-2012, 10:06 PM   #11
Crash_OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurfeh View Post
Mhhmm well I've been looking at the dirty dingo mounts before.. these ones actually
http://dirtydingo.com/store/product_...oducts_id=1369

I would definitely like to avoid having to change the forward crossmember.. but if its unavoidable i'll bite the bullet. Notice that you guys are rocking 70's chevs, same crossmember on the 84? Ive already convinced myself i'll have to relocate the trans x-member...
84 is different.. I thought you had a 67-72..sorry.. I believe you would be fine with the DD on a 84...

Crash's 69 4x4 SWB