The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 07+ Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-21-2012, 02:14 PM   #1
LEEVON

Arghh. Stuck key cylinder 2009 Suburban

So I pulled the Suburban into the street last night to make room in the driveway. I went back after dark to pull it back in and the key wouldn't turn. The column wasn't locked and there have been no signs of trouble. I figured something was jammed or a tumbler was stuck or something, so I set upon removing everything to get at it. I thought it through for a few minutes, and the thought of having to get a tow, plus the dealer bill and the inconvenience of having one vehicle made my decision. This was 10pm in the street, no lights other than a flashlight I held under my chin.

Fortunately I have removed these steering wheels and airbags before, so that was fairly simple (more difficult in the dark, but do-able). I also know about the function of the SIR Coil (clockspring) which is the airbag wiring/connector unit behind the wheel. You must take great care when removing them so you don't disturb the index, otherwise you will kill them. I got to the lock cylinder eventually and was able to tap something loose and turn the key. I was just relieved that I could get back into the driveway and the wife could drive herself to work. Everything was fine, then I dropped the SIR coil in the dark. It was an OH CRAP moment, but it didn't appear to lose it's index. WRONG. After everything was back together the service airbag light came on, telling me I had screwed up the coil.

So, this morning I had to order a cylinder ($85) and a new SIR coil ($85). Before I picked them up I first stopped by the service department, and just told them about the bad cylinder. They wouldn't do anything with it outside of the 3yr/36K warranty so I went ahead and bought the parts. I went back to the service department, there was a tech standing around and I picked his brain (which they don't generally like) but he was nice and told me that I was lucky to get the cylinder unstuck and that he hadn't done any of the new trucks but it was common in the older ones. I had the Service Manager begrudgingly print out the repair procedure...he said "You know, there is an airbag in there, you probably shouldn't blah blah blah" to which I just raised my eyebrows and said "I know, sorry for not bringing you the business but I did buy parts here and I'm loyal to your dealership". He printed it.

Now I have to remove everything again, "code" the cylinder by installing the right tumblers, and re-install. What a pain, but at least the labor is free