The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > S10 S15 Luv Blazer > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-14-2021, 10:23 PM   #1
Kriegs

98 GMC Sonoma - Daily Driver - repair,upgrades etc

picked this up at the end of June for a daily driver,and winter driver instead of using my little beater car as a truck as well as something more interesting to tinker with but still get tolerable MPG.

The turn signal switch ,cluster lights,and license plate lights didnt work.
The bed was beat to hell, side supports torn away from the sheetmetal.
The horrific ghetto tail lights were sheet metal screwed and siliconed into position.
Door locks didnt come with the truck so no locking.
Dash bezel was broken AND glued to the dash with cheap foam spray to keep it in place.
E-brake didnt hold.
Ac compressor did not turn on.
A bad PS leak.
No tailpipe, with i'am guessing a clone flowmaster(its freaking loud, drones, and annoying, neighbors love me LOL)
Brake Line leak(pass side rear)
3" springs in front(rides on bumpstops) and 3" blocks rear...

All that being said i got it fairly cheap,its a fairly straight truck,passes emissions,new tires,decent stereo system,and lots of potential.
Attached Images

Last edited by Kriegs; 08-14-2021 at 10:40 PM.
Kriegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 10:39 PM   #2
Kriegs

Re: 98 GMC Sonoma - Daily Driver - repair,upgrades etc

Got the bed, hood,B-pillars,Turn Signal,Ebrake,Grille,headlights(fog lights)Dash Bezel,Pass rear brakeline,door speakers,tail lights, and wheels/tires all swapped.
Tires and wheels are off my 72 Duster project. Weld draglite 275/60R15 Rear, 185/60R15 Front.
The bed does have a dent in the driver rear below tail light.Its still ten times better then the previous bed that came with the truck.That had tons of hail damage/grocery cart dents or abuse along with the side lower strut supports being torn away from the bed itself.
Added some Blue LEDs to the cluster just to get it to work, Took it from my 90 GMT 400 project.Ill replace them with a lighter blue led later on.
Attached Images

Old 08-14-2021, 10:57 PM   #3
Kriegs

Talking Re: 98 GMC Sonoma - Daily Driver - repair,upgrades etc

Junkyard haul:
Got some stock 15x7 steelies,studded snow tires, 33mm front sway bar, along with 06 f150 swaybar endlinks.
Also scored a Taurus 3.8 E-fan for later install.

Also found my PS leak, its from the output seal on the box.
So in the next week or so Ill have to go grab a ZJ(grand cherokee) steering box to replace that.Might as well upgrade to zq8 style turn ratio if i need to mess with the box anways.
While iam in there I will swap out the steering shaft to an XJ(cherokee) to eliminate the ragjoint. And I will toss on the 33mm swaybar/endlinks.
Attached Images

Old 05-14-2022, 07:55 PM   #4
LT7A

Anything further on this? Sure seemed that you are on your way to a nice DD with it. Actually rescuing it from where it appeared to be heading.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 10:41 AM   #5
Kriegs

Sorry spaced off doing this, been busy doing little stuff here and there.But Ive added Rallys,2008 Gran Prix seats,full length(extracab)console and swapped front end to S-10.I need to toss on the rear chrome bumper and pull(put in storage) the rollpan.I also cant decide on body color(white) grille or standard (black) grille. also got the ZQ8 swaybars,and steering box on, what a difference those make!!
Attached Images

Old 10-17-2023, 08:40 PM   #6
LT7A

Huge improvements. The white grill just seems like a little much. Did you lose foglights when you went to the S10 front?
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2023, 10:53 PM   #7
Kriegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
Huge improvements. The white grill just seems like a little much. Did you lose foglights when you went to the S10 front?
Foglight appearance yes(never had working foglights, just the lamps swapped from a jimmy to replace the hazy lenses it had from PO)