The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-20-2020, 02:44 PM   #26
DM72C20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TA_C10 View Post
Nice work so far. Subbed. Question, is there a special reason you decided to go with the fuel pump assembly from following thread and the brothers tank?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...maro-tank.html

I’m using the fuel pump module from my 09 donor Silverado and using the Brother’s tank since it appears relatively flat on top to be able to cut the circle in it. Same idea as the link you posted. I decided against using the stock tank and having an aftermarket pump and pressure regulator. Mostly I was concerned about the need to have baffles for the tank. The 09 fuel pump module takes care of that concern.
Posted via Mobile Device
DM72C20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 02:49 PM   #27
DM72C20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjzepplin View Post
I haven't got it hooked up yet but I am going with the 1999 Trans Am radiator and fans as well as the Condenser. I am trying to figure out how to keep them in the mounts on the radiator though. Seems a large bump may send them skyward and out of the clips that hold them. I am using the stock harness for the TA for relays etc. Seems we both are on the same path.
The Trans Am radiator looks the same as the 02 Camaro. My dad who is doing most of the actual work (truck is in his garage) is thinking some rubber grommets on the bottom to support it. He mentioned that the top brackets might need to be modified as well. Might be working on it this weekend and will get some pics if we get that far.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-20-2020, 03:01 PM   #28
TA_C10

Re: 72 C20 LS Swap/Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by DM72C20 View Post
I’m using the fuel pump module from my 09 donor Silverado and using the Brother’s tank since it appears relatively flat on top to be able to cut the circle in it. Same idea as the link you posted. I decided against using the stock tank and having an aftermarket pump and pressure regulator. Mostly I was concerned about the need to have baffles for the tank. The 09 fuel pump module takes care of that concern.
Posted via Mobile Device
I almost did the exact same thing. But then I found the Tanks Inc. fuel pump assembly. It's in-tank and has a baffle pan. I used the corvette filter, super cheap, and it's also a regulator for the LS engine(stock). Same tank too.

2 things. You will want to drop the tank a little(see my thread if you want) so you don't have to clearance the bed cross rail too much. 2nd thing, check out this powernation episode. It's EXACTLY what your about to do - https://www.powernationtv.com/episod...ls-engine-swap

"It's only money".
TA_C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 10:04 PM   #29
DM72C20

Quote:
I almost did the exact same thing. But then I found the Tanks Inc. fuel pump assembly. It's in-tank and has a baffle pan. I used the corvette filter, super cheap, and it's also a regulator for the LS engine(stock). Same tank too.

2 things. You will want to drop the tank a little(see my thread if you want) so you don't have to clearance the bed cross rail too much. 2nd thing, check out this powernation episode. It's EXACTLY what your about to do - https://www.powernationtv.com/episod...ls-engine-swap

I had not come across the Tanks Inc. pump - the one with the reservoir tray. I take it that you are also using that in an under the bed tank? I had found a guy that modified his in cab tank, but I didn't want to bother with that.

Thanks for the video link. Yeah, that's the plan. Mine is a C20, so I don't know if there will be the same clearance issues, but dropping it a couple inches won't be a problem.

I am planning on doing something a bit unusual with the fuel fill. I found this post, #30 where the filler tube is routed all the way to the stock location to the under the bed tank. I like this since it keeps the original look and location as well as convenience next to the drivers side. I think the behind the taillight mounting is a bit weird and wouldn't want to have it in the bed floor.
Old 12-14-2020, 11:16 PM   #30
DM72C20

Some recent work on the truck.

Modified the fuel tank to fit the 09 Silverado fuel pump. I had a 1/4" thick steel ring waterjet cut to weld to the tank which would allow the pump to be bolted down. The tank didn't have enough of a flat area to mount it, so a new pan was made and cut into it. Bolts were welded into the pan through the ring which act as studs to mount the pump. The ring wasn't really necessary, but reinforces the pan to provide a strong mounting location. The original 72 fuel sender was reused since it fit in the sender hole in the tank. The lines were brazed shut since it won't be carrying any fuel.
Attached Images

Old 12-14-2020, 11:17 PM   #31
DM72C20

More.

The fuel tank ended up needing more clearance to allow the filler neck to get above the frame rail. The bed crossmember was notched, filled in and is now high enough to be out of the way.

The frame rail had to be heated and bent as well to get the neck above it.
Attached Images

Old 12-14-2020, 11:19 PM   #32
DM72C20

More work.

My plan to run a long line to the original filler in the cab won't work due to the slope required and clearance for the suspension. So it is being routed to be behind the driver side wheel well on the side of the inner bed panel. There will be a steel tube that makes its way to the filler neck on the tank along with a Gates rubber 90 to connect it.

This is a work truck for me, so having something straightforward and functional is more important than hiding it behind a taillight or having a hole through the bed floor. I also didn't want to cut into the bed side to install a door since that would mean re-painting the truck which I cannot afford, nor want to do. It will be painted the same blue at least.
Attached Images

Old 12-14-2020, 11:25 PM   #33
DM72C20

Last one for today.

Forgot that the gas filler will also have a lid made up to keep weather off it.

The Camaro rad is in. I ordered a set of 3 core radiator bushings and modified the 4 core brackets to fit them since the new rad is much smaller than the original 4 core. The new bushings also needed to be cut a bit to fit the rad snugly. They were cut on a diagonal and RTV'd into the brackets. Upper rad hose fits on from the 09 Silverado. Cooling lines are being bent up to get connected.

Once the fuel system is all connected, I suppose the focus will turn to the wiring. Was hoping that HP Tuners would have a Black Friday sale but no luck. Maybe Boxing Day..
Attached Images

Last edited by DM72C20; 12-14-2020 at 11:27 PM. Reason: missing pictures
Old 12-15-2020, 07:06 PM   #34
TA_C10

All good work man! Question, I just finished my custom gas filler(see my thread), welded a vent in the cap neck. Also using rollover vent. Curious how your doing yours. Is that the OE filler your using(already has the in-cap vent that follows the filler line to tank)?

"It's only money".
Old 12-16-2020, 12:34 PM   #35
DM72C20

Quote:
All good work man! Question, I just finished my custom gas filler(see my thread), welded a vent in the cap neck. Also using rollover vent. Curious how your doing yours. Is that the OE filler your using(already has the in-cap vent that follows the filler line to tank)?
Yeah, I'm using the 09 Silverado filler neck and vent tube from the donor truck. I don't really know much about venting so will have to do some reading - presumably GM included a rollover vent?
Old 12-16-2020, 07:57 PM   #36
TA_C10

Cool man, you will be happy with a stock unit like that. Here's how I understand it all. You need 2 vents. 1 vent for filling your tank, the other vent is for driving and sitting, it's for heat expansion and such. Fill vent allows air to push out during filling so you can use the gas pump nozzle full throttle .

Here's the safety part. Small vent for heat expansion, for safety reasons, gets the rollover valve. Fill vent needs to be connected to your filler cap so the gas nozzle extends past it allowing air to escape back out through it, but seals it off with cap during operation. If you get into a wreck, rollover valve closes the small valve so fuel doesn't spill out and filler cap seals the filler vent. Safe.

I would say that's the general idea behind it all for safety and function. There are more sciences to it you can read about elsewhere

"It's only money".
Old 12-16-2020, 09:46 PM   #37
Putzer

Quote:
Cool man, you will be happy with a stock unit like that. Here's how I understand it all. You need 2 vents. 1 vent for filling your tank, the other vent is for driving and sitting, it's for heat expansion and such. Fill vent allows air to push out during filling so you can use the gas pump nozzle full throttle .

Here's the safety part. Small vent for heat expansion, for safety reasons, gets the rollover valve. Fill vent needs to be connected to your filler cap so the gas nozzle extends past it allowing air to escape back out through it, but seals it off with cap during operation. If you get into a wreck, rollover valve closes the small valve so fuel doesn't spill out and filler cap seals the filler vent. Safe.

I would say that's the general idea behind it all for safety and function. There are more sciences to it you can read about elsewhere

I had a good conversation with a lady at boyds welding. I have the old style tank from them that doesn't have the 5/8 line fill vent next to the 2" fill. I bought a retro fit adaptor from Boyds that goes from 1/2 npt fitting to 5/8 hose barb. Then I'll drill a hole and use self tappers to secure to tank and then I'll be able to run the 5/8" line to my filler neck from an older s10.
Putzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 01:29 PM   #38
DM72C20

After an unintentional summer hiatus, work is going again on the truck!

The gas tank is all welded, pressure tested, wired and mostly plumbed. Everything seems to fit nicely including the fill which involves an S bend tube, a rubber 90 and some straight hose. Might pick up an installation tool for the nylon fuel lines and fittings. I've ordered parts from FMSI since they are local for that stuff.

Wiring cleanup has been in progress too. Everything should be set to the gas tank and fuel pump. Underhood stuff is close. Gauge swap to the S10 speedo is mostly done. Still more work to do at the dash. I still don't quite get how the ignition 'talks' to the PCM yet...

There's an instrument panel connector with some vague sounding wires that remain, along with a VSS wire. I added in a VSS wire to the X1 connector but a bit uncertain about that.

I'm quite confused about the alternator after reading the other day that it needs a GCBM and BCM to have the ability to change voltage output based on load. I don't have either module, however that function sounds nice compared to its default at 13.8V. Keeping the alternator stock is appealing from a parts availability standpoint. I've read a thread about changing out the regulator on the back, but that isn't stock anymore... There was some other thread about a PWM signal generator device... Any suggestions would be helpful.
Old 09-14-2021, 06:26 PM   #39
jjzepplin

You've been quite busy for having a hiatus..!!
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 02:20 PM   #40
DM72C20

Big news - the truck runs!!!!

The wiring proved to be rather tricky to get that Gen 4 engine to run, but we perservered. I started a thread about it here where the specifics are discussed: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=827216

We took it for a little spin after cleaning up all the underhood wires and it is so smooth and quiet! There is some programming yet in order to get the speedo and tach reading - so far nothing. Still need to clean up the dash wiring as well and connect the oil pressure sender - it started leaking oil on my shoes once it finally started to crank, so it was temporarily capped off.

The alternator is outputting 13.8V which is its default or limp mode and I would like the variable output capability. I'm not running a BCM, so will need to figure out where to run the wires from the negative cable sensor.
Old 11-10-2021, 02:24 PM   #41
DM72C20

Some pics from the last while..

Underhood wiring. The alternator PWM generator is the small box with buttons. The 09' fusebox has been modified to fit into place.

The S10 speedo before installation into the cluster. Thanks to Ls1nova71 for the kit.

Dash wiring in progress. A new fuseboard was wired in place with blade fuses rather than the old one. Fixed up the instrument lights that never used to dim.
Attached Images

Old 11-10-2021, 02:35 PM   #42
DM72C20

And some pics of the fuseboard stuff.

A couple weeks ago, when we tried getting it started, I had the idea to connect a wire to the starter relay from the ignition. It was pink and I think it may have accidentally went onto the powertrain relay. It started to smoke and melted part of the board instantly! It was not a great moment. Another used board was picked up and we checked through each and every contact to determine how the relays should be oriented. The crazy thing is that the manual shows one thing and the second donor relays didn't align, nor did my Dad's running 09' truck. His doesn't even seem to have a fuel pump relay or fuse??!?

Anyway, after testing for current, we oriented the relays so that 30 was battery hot in each case. Pink wire is signal from key on to 86 on the run/crank relay which powers up the ECM. Purple is signal from key crank/solenoid which goes to 86 on starter relay. These two wires were all that was needed to get it running.

There is relatively little wiring coming into the fuseboard, but it still makes use of the factory connectors and board. If there is any issue, these parts can be swapped out.
Attached Images

Old 11-11-2021, 05:30 AM   #43
jjzepplin

Wow! You have great patience sir. Congratulations are in order!!!
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 03:13 PM   #44
DM72C20

Update on the truck. Some observations on having a working LS swap done.

It took many attempts to get the speedometer setting to work properly. There isn't much in the way of guidance for this sort of thing. Part of the problem I was having was relying on the HP Tuners Scanner speed rather than reading it from a separate GPS speed on my phone. It's now set within 1mph on the speedo and is around 2% high on the odometer over a long distance when compared with the GPS distance. I might modify the setting yet again to try and get it within a %.

The truck starts instantly, no matter what. I had it parked outside in -18C (around 0F) weather and no problem at all. In that cold, I found that it was a bit stiff to shift into drive from park, but the engine had no trouble whatsoever.

There is so so much power on tap! Even though it is just a 4.8, it is fast! I'm loving that aspect of it.

Mileage has been a respectable 12.8 - 13.8mpg. I've been having fun with it, so I'm sure I could get it even higher if that was the priority.

It's got new Cooper AT3 tires now which were part of an attempt to eliminate vibration at highway speed. The old tires weren't worth balancing apparently.

The vibration is certainly distracting when cruising along at 75mph. The mirrors all shake so much it makes you dizzy. Might get it in for an alignment next, and possibly replace suspension bushings and whatnot. The motor and trans mounts are all new with the swap. Cab mounts were replaced in the last few years.

Also trying to reduce the wind noise at highway speed. I added some cut to width pipe insulation along the top edge of the door frame hoping to cut down on potential entry points for noise. The insulation is EPDM and actually looks quite good. I adhered it with double sided tape. It made a slight difference, but could be so much better. The engine is whisper quiet now which at least rules that out at speed.
Attached Images

Old 01-24-2022, 11:38 AM   #45
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Enjoying this. You are doing great work. Looking forward to the progress and updates.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 02:43 AM   #46
Low Elco

On Vibration- That factory shaft is huge around for a reason. the added diameter keeps the long shaft from "whipping" at speed. A bigger shaft helped me.
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 01:33 PM   #47
rickcdewitt

Nice looking truck. Have you checked the slip yoke and bushing for excessive play? That would make a driveshaft vibration. Bent rims also comes to mind.
Old 02-05-2022, 02:23 PM   #48
Mike Bradbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
On Vibration- That factory shaft is huge around for a reason. the added diameter keeps the long shaft from "whipping" at speed. A bigger shaft helped me.
Yes I agree, it sounds like the vibration is drive train related not alignment. Best to get it on a dyno and run it up to speed and see if the shaft is the cause. Either that or wait for it to come flying out the back of the truck one day

Although on my C20/LS swap I did not change to a one piece shaft but I did have a couple tries at balancing the shaft just right.

Since I am just joining the fun-- that is a great looking C20, you have done a real good job with it. It would have taken all the wind out of my sails for a week if I smoked my board. Glad you kept at it.

Project: Barn Raising http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=414961

Project: 30 Be Low https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=830583

Last edited by Mike Bradbury; 02-05-2022 at 02:38 PM.
Mike Bradbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 06:03 PM   #49
rickcdewitt

Another thing comes to mind if the truck had a carrier bearing driveshaft previously(plus the fact it has a new drivetrain with output possiblyin a new location). You want the working angle of your u joints to be equal while going down the highway.. Your rear pinion was not angled correctly for a non carrier driveshaft.for leaf springs that means having the pinion a degree or two lower than the trans output so it rises under load. A cheap magnetic base degree measuring unit will let you check both ends with the driveshaft out on the yoke and trans to compare and adjust with a shim in the back or reweld the perches
Old 02-05-2022, 10:44 PM   #50
Mike Bradbury

^^ yes

Project: Barn Raising http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=414961

Project: 30 Be Low https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=830583
Mike Bradbury is offline   Reply With Quote