The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-24-2022, 01:43 PM   #751
Vic1947

Re: 57 Chevy Wagon - Californa Dreamin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Thanks, Vic. We miss him too. Talk to ya soon.
I'm ready for the mods to black truck, Chip. Moved the wagon upstairs to Kathy's garage which leaves an empty slot in the workshop. All that stands between us and a radiator cover / upper hose is fear and thin air. World of Wheels will be here before you know it.
Attached Images

Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 03:03 AM   #752
Low Elco

Right on, I'll give you a call this week.
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 12:21 PM   #753
57larry

what about louvers in the hood?
57larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 05:10 PM   #754
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57larry View Post
what about louvers in the hood?
Probably a last resort at this point. I'd have to find someone with a louver press deep enough to punch them, plus I'd have to repaint the hood. I'm really hoping the improved fan shroud and larger, more powerful fans do the trick. It's been too cold to really test the cooling system this time of year. First hot day we have should tell the story.
Old 05-02-2022, 06:13 PM   #755
Vic1947

It's been a little over five months since my last post. Lots of water under the bridge since then. World of Wheels went off without a hitch and the wagon looked great in the booth with Hot Rod Express. We picked up an ISCA award for Outstanding Interior - Custom which was nice. Car has been parked ever since except for the other day when Kathy had a flat tire and I used it to transport the air bubble to the store where she was parked.

We have acquired two new "project" cars. One is a '65 Ford Fairlane we picked up in Fond du Lac, WI. The other is an '87 Buick Grand National. I hadn't planned on the Buick, but one of my oldest buddies called to ask if I would buy it from him. He's in very poor health and was diagnosed with dementia a few years ago. He remembers all the stuff we did together back in the 60's and 70's but can't recall what the doctors told him even a few hours ago. Anyway, we hauled an open trailer down to AL and picked it up along with the numbers matching engine that was originally in it. Also loaded up several boxes full of spare parts. He's still finding parts he squirreled away, and I received a big box full of stuff just today.

I'm pretty much out of space, so I'm contemplating running the wagon thru the Mecum auction at Dallas in September. Meanwhile, I'm tending to some much-needed repairs on the Buick. Feels good to get up in the morning and head down to the workshop with a cup of coffee in hand and a punch list to work on.

I plan to do a build thread on the Fairlane once I get lined out. I'll keep you posted.
Attached Images

Old 05-02-2022, 08:24 PM   #756
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic1947 View Post
It's been a little over five months since my last post. Lots of water under the bridge since then. World of Wheels went off without a hitch and the wagon looked great in the booth with Hot Rod Express. We picked up an ISCA award for Outstanding Interior - Custom which was nice. Car has been parked ever since except for the other day when Kathy had a flat tire and I used it to transport the air bubble to the store where she was parked.

We have acquired two new "project" cars. One is a '65 Ford Fairlane we picked up in Fond du Lac, WI. The other is an '87 Buick Grand National. I hadn't planned on the Buick, but one of my oldest buddies called to ask if I would buy it from him. He's in very poor health and was diagnosed with dementia a few years ago. He remembers all the stuff we did together back in the 60's and 70's but can't recall what the doctors told him even a few hours ago. Anyway, we hauled an open trailer down to AL and picked it up along with the numbers matching engine that was originally in it. Also loaded up several boxes full of spare parts. He's still finding parts he squirreled away, and I received a big box full of stuff just today.

I'm pretty much out of space, so I'm contemplating running the wagon thru the Mecum auction at Dallas in September. Meanwhile, I'm tending to some much-needed repairs on the Buick. Feels good to get up in the morning and head down to the workshop with a cup of coffee in hand and a punch list to work on.

I plan to do a build thread on the Fairlane once I get lined out. I'll keep you posted.

I hate to see the wagon go. But I do like the new projects!

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 11:22 PM   #757
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
I hate to see the wagon go. But I do like the new projects!
I thought I could get by watching MotorTrend on Demand and doing some cruise-ins with the wagon but apparently, I'm not cut out to be a couch potato.
Old 05-03-2022, 12:26 AM   #758
Ol Blue K20

Quote:
I thought I could get by watching MotorTrend on Demand and doing some cruise-ins with the wagon but apparently, I'm not cut out to be a couch potato.

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 05-04-2022, 09:52 AM   #759
nsb29

Just saw an article on fords new E crate motor, same setup as the E mustang. right now they’re no support directly from ford but will be coming soon. Ford did an F100 with the E mustang running gear got me thinking it probably won’t be long before we start seeing these E motors in older trucks and cars
There already putting running gear from recked Teslas in Porsches and other sport cars. I got to thinking about your new ford project.
Old 05-06-2022, 09:25 AM   #760
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsb29 View Post
Just saw an article on fords new E crate motor, same setup as the E mustang. right now they’re no support directly from ford but will be coming soon. Ford did an F100 with the E mustang running gear got me thinking it probably won’t be long before we start seeing these E motors in older trucks and cars
There already putting running gear from recked Teslas in Porsches and other sport cars. I got to thinking about your new ford project.
I saw that too. That truck was amazing. Shows what you can do when you have unlimited resources. I'm still on the fence about the powerplant for the Fairlane. I nearly pulled the trigger recently on 2.3L Eco Boost takeout from a 2018 Mustang. However, it had a 10 speed automatic behind it and right now, there's no support in the aftermarket for it. So I'm still on the fence.
Old 05-07-2022, 06:01 PM   #761
nsb29

My thought is eventually there will be salvaged E mustangs that will start showing up in older hot rods as well as the running gear from though trucks I remember when the crate 350 was a big deal My understanding is Cadillac is talking about going all electric and I am sure Chevy will eventually offer a crate motor as well with as much torque and horsepower that’s available I’m sure it’ll be the next generation swap’s
Now I’mI was 30 years younger LMAO
Old 05-07-2022, 06:34 PM   #762
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsb29 View Post
My thought is eventually there will be salvaged E mustangs that will start showing up in older hot rods as well as the running gear from though trucks I remember when the crate 350 was a big deal My understanding is Cadillac is talking about going all electric and I am sure Chevy will eventually offer a crate motor as well with as much torque and horsepower that’s available I’m sure it’ll be the next generation swap’s
Now I’mI was 30 years younger LMAO
I agree, I'll be surprised if Chevy and others don't jump into the e-crate market with reasonably complete assemblies at some point. Right now, you need to know someone with the knowledge to help you along - and they're pretty scarce. I know what you're saying about being 30 (or 40) years younger. It takes a lot of endurance to sort out a load of unknowns. My mind doesn't work as well when reading as it does if I can look over someone's shoulder and actually observe the work being done. I've learned a lot of stuff over the years by keeping my mouth shut and my eyes wide open. (Well, at least trying to keep my mouth shut.)
Old 05-09-2022, 11:51 AM   #763
nsb29

I’m the same way I can read a book for a week. but if I can see somebody do something once, I grew up on the Mojave desert along route 66 and around the cattle Ranch if it broke you fixed it or you made it there were no books no YouTube videos, but yes the electronic skills that it would take would be a challenge in five years from now it could be all plug and play just like with the LS
Old 06-13-2022, 05:11 PM   #764
LT7A

Vic, you've built another spectacular car. Be sure to post up any pictures that you have from getting it out and about, cruise-ins, whatever. Always cool to see a car in its natural habitat. I'm very intrigued with your new projects. That Fairlane looks cool as it sits, and that Grand National is in beautiful shape and looks sinister at the same time. I've always been enamored of those Buicks. Faster than the Corvette in 1987. Don't hesitate to do a thread on that, even if you are just putting it back together. I was thinking about those recently and how they pioneered turbos before the tunability of OBD2. Also, on the electric subject, here's a thread by one of our own members who is doing an electric powered truck. Good luck, and keep us posted!

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=826089
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 10:09 AM   #765
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
Vic, you've built another spectacular car. Be sure to post up any pictures that you have from getting it out and about, cruise-ins, whatever. Always cool to see a car in its natural habitat. I'm very intrigued with your new projects. That Fairlane looks cool as it sits, and that Grand National is in beautiful shape and looks sinister at the same time. I've always been enamored of those Buicks. Faster than the Corvette in 1987. Don't hesitate to do a thread on that, even if you are just putting it back together. I was thinking about those recently and how they pioneered turbos before the tunability of OBD2. Also, on the electric subject, here's a thread by one of our own members who is doing an electric powered truck. Good luck, and keep us posted!

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=826089
Thanks! It's nice to have projects to work on. The GN has all new steering and rebuilt suspension under the front now. Drives like a new car. We took it to its first cruise-in last Saturday and parked next to Chip's 67 GMC. There was an all-Ford show on Sunday at a local dealership, but it was really hot and I have the Fairlane crammed all the way against the wall in the garage to give Kathy some extra room for her car, so we skipped the show. Maybe next year. I'll have to keep an eye on the electric conversion. Always interested to see what the early adopters run into.
Attached Images

Old 06-16-2022, 07:43 PM   #766
Russell Ashley

Quote:

I'm looking forward to your new builds but I'm sorry about your friend. I can identify. My wife has alzheimer's and I was forced to put her in a memory care home early this year. I'll say a prayer for him. He found a good home for the Buick and I know it will only be improved on. Like the others on here that have followed your Station wagon build, I hate to think about letting that one go, but Your builds are always interesting so I'll be following along.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 06:25 PM   #767
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Ashley View Post
I'm looking forward to your new builds but I'm sorry about your friend. I can identify. My wife has alzheimer's and I was forced to put her in a memory care home early this year. I'll say a prayer for him. He found a good home for the Buick and I know it will only be improved on. Like the others on here that have followed your Station wagon build, I hate to think about letting that one go, but Your builds are always interesting so I'll be following along.
Thanks, Russell. Sorry to hear about your wife. Alzheimer's and dementia are cruel illnesses. Hopefully she is close by and you can see her every day.

I'm looking forward to the next build too. I have a few housekeeping things to finish up on the Buick GN and I've agreed to do some in-house fab work for a friend that's building a turbocharged LS3 '70 GTO. Then, once my schedule is cleared I'll be on the Fairlane.
Old 09-02-2022, 03:11 PM   #768
Vic1947

Mecum Transport Service showed up today at noon and loaded the wagon for the trip to the Dallas auction. We're scheduled to go thru on Friday afternoon. Our lot number is F133. I have mixed emotions about sending it on its way. I very much need the space and it's the most logical choice, but that doesn't make it any easier. I hope it does well, but there's not really any way to predict the outcome. If it doesn't sell (which Kathy would love) we'll bring it home and make an attempt to auction the GN. One way or the other, I need to free up a space to work on the Fairlane.

The info email Mecum sent me said the gas tank could be no more than 1/4 full, so I had to pop open the access panel and plumb in a hose to empty it some. Everything we own is now topped off - the cars, the lawn mower, the edger, the snow blower - you name it. But I got it down to a quarter tank. There for a bit, I was regretting installing that 25-gallon Chevy Blazer tank.
Attached Images

Old 09-03-2022, 01:02 PM   #769
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Tis a sad day in alternate tinkering land....
I dont think theres anyway I could part with it...

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 07:43 PM   #770
Ol Blue K20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
tis a sad day in alternate tinkering land....
I dont think theres anyway i could part with it...
x2!!!!

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 09-04-2022, 08:39 PM   #771
Ironhorse

Sometimes it's hard to make such a decision, especially after so much hard work and effort has gone into a project. I sold an all original '55 Chevy 2 dr. station wagon several years ago to further another project which was closer to completion. The wagon was needing SERIOUS amount of effort and $$$ tossed into it and a dose of reality set in. Reality does SUCK by the way, LOL.

Good luck with your decision and with the sale. Hope it brings the $$ you have in mind.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 09:50 PM   #772
CG
BlahBlahBlah

I was flipping channels and saw this at auction ... announcer guy said rear doors suicide and fronts lambo ????

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 05:19 PM   #773
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
I was flipping channels and saw this at auction ... announcer guy said rear doors suicide and fronts lambo ????
You can thank Mecum's marketing department for that. I had a bullet item that listed rear suicide doors by Scissor Doors, Inc. After I approved the text, they changed the wording which implied that it had both. Jon Kramen can be forgiven for saying that, as I'm sure he was reading off of the list. I can assure you Lambo doors weren't a consideration when I was doing the build.

Last edited by Vic1947; 09-15-2022 at 05:52 PM.
Old 09-15-2022, 05:52 PM   #774
Vic1947

They cut to a commercial just as the wagon crossed the block, but I was able to retrieve part of it off MotorTrend+. You can see it here.
Old 09-15-2022, 07:12 PM   #775
Vic1947

Well, the book is now closed on the Townsman wagon so it's time to move onto a new project - a 65 Fairlane 2dr HT. I'll be posting here (and on fordmuscleforums.com) so if you'd like to watch me thrash around on yet another stepchild build, check it out. My new alternate tinkerings thread is here.