The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-15-2015, 03:37 PM   #26
Beaumont@

Re: Bucket seat conversion using bench seat brackets how to

Quote:
Originally Posted by va72longhorn View Post
Just out of curiosity, is there anything special that has to be done to do the conversion in reverse? Ive got the original factory buckets, that I love, but I'd like to be able to switch out every now and then when I may have two passengers planned. I always thought it would be no more than a 30 minute switch over. I've got a parchment white vinyl with no tears, but I'd like to recover one day in the orange highlander plaid.
Any thing Ive overlooked ?

Actually it would be a lot easier I think doing it in reverse if you had an original bucket seat truck and a spare bench seat with brackets. I imagine all you would have to do it just take out the screws plugging the bench seat bracket holes then bolt it right up. Here's a pic that makes more sense than my rambling:

Name:  A50%20Bucket%20Cab%20Floor%20#1.JPG
Views: 691
Size:  57.8 KB
Beaumont@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 03:55 PM   #27
Beaumont@

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjzepplin View Post
That is one nice job you have done there!
How much did you shorten the bench brackets before you flipped them forward and how did you do such a nice job of flipping them?
I honestly don't remember exactly how much I removed to shortened them. I just referenced the passenger seat for measurements as it is identical to the drivers seat when its in the full back position. It was easier to measure because there was just a bare seat frame and no foam to deal with when I was mocking them up.

As for flipping them forward it was pretty easy once the height was known. I just welded them in and some slight tweaking with a hammer was all that was required. The driver seat can slide forward wherever you want which is nice. I just had to shortened the bench seat lock release bar.
Old 03-15-2015, 04:22 PM   #28
jjzepplin

That's alright. There is a fella on here that is in the middle of shortening bench seats to make buckets. He still hasn't finished so I'm not sure it works. What do you think? Seems like a lot of work compared to your go at it.
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 04:35 PM   #29
Beaumont@

Well JJzep I think I know what you are referring to as in taking a bench seat and cutting down turning it into 2 bucket seats. I remember coming across it when I was looking into seat options. Me personally I couldn't be bothered too much work in my opinion but if someone has the skills and resources sure why not. I've already learned more than I care to know just to get some bucket seats lol.