The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-11-2002, 08:06 AM   #1
1971LT1SWBPOSI373

SWB Bedliner

Does anybody know of a bedliner that will fit a '71 SWB Fleet???
1971 Shortbed 350/350 w/ Posi-traction 3:73's
1996 Chevy Silverado
TJ in Springfield, Virginia
Likes old Chevy trucks
Drinks Miller MGD
1971LT1SWBPOSI373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2002, 09:58 AM   #2
1970 CST Short Wide
Senior Moment

Thumbs up

I have one in my 70 thats for a 73 and up and it fits fine and goes under the rail. However I dont like the way things like dirt and water get under it so I'm going with a spray in liner. Too bad you not in Ca I'd let you have it cheap.
2019 GMC Diesil Dually. Youngest Son
2017 Toyota SUV Daughters car
2018 Traverse , Wife’s Ride
Pittsburg Ca
1970 CST Short Wide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2002, 01:47 PM   #3
1971LT1SWBPOSI373

Bedliner

I'm just getting ready to start a restoration on a '71 shortbed, but the floor of the bed is pitted, and has dents from hauling cargo. I don't know what else to try, other than putting in a bedliner. Switching to a wooden bed is always an option, but a lot of work too. I can't believe someone hasn't started making a single sheet replacement floor for these trucks yet. I have new wheel tubs, but I'm not sure what to do with the bed....
1996 Chevy Silverado
Likes old Chevy trucks
Drinks Miller MGD
Old 06-11-2002, 03:26 PM   #4
johnnyp
Keepin' It Stock

If your floor is "wavy" from hauling heavy cargo, there's really no fix except to find a good used bed or bed floor, but good luck finding one.

The other option is to cover it up with a bed liner, like you said. I just put a new bedliner in mine from Pendaliner. It's made for the 73 up models but fits really well. Nobody makes one for the 67-72 models anymore.

If your bed is rusty in addition to the "waves", I would prep and paint it during your restore, before putting in the liner, or it'll just get worse.

Forget about "do it right the first time". Do it wrong the first time to learn how, then do it right the second time.
johnnyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2002, 03:36 PM   #5
LILREDGMC

Bedliner - SWB

I picked up a second from a local purveyor of misc, it came with a gate cover, the over the rail liner, but no fastener kit. He said that was part of the second deal. It was actually for a Dodge as he had no listing for early chevy's and gmc's. I believe it is a rugged liner, will check and report back. I have contemplated cutting off the rail and "tucking" it under with a hot knife. Fit is good, and it has not been left in the bed, no corrosion on floor, but some paint wear up along the top of the bed sides. It may still have a part number tag on it so give me a day and I'll repost or email you.
LILREDGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 09:43 AM   #6
1971LT1SWBPOSI373

Quote:
Originally posted by johnnyp
If your floor is "wavy" from hauling heavy cargo, there's really no fix except to find a good used bed or bed floor, but good luck finding one.

The other option is to cover it up with a bed liner, like you said. I just put a new bedliner in mine from Pendaliner. It's made for the 73 up models but fits really well. Nobody makes one for the 67-72 models anymore.

If your bed is rusty in addition to the "waves", I would prep and paint it during your restore, before putting in the liner, or it'll just get worse.
My floor isn't wavy, but it has lots of little "dings" from hauling items, and of course, the wheel tubs have lots of little dents.... but I have replacements for that. Going with a spray in bed liner would really look nice, but probably wouldn't look good unless all of the dents were removed. The floor is also pitted, but not heavily rusted. I'm considering removing the sides and the front panel and having the floor blasted. Following up with POR-15. The bedsides are in great shape, straight and all, but pitted where they are bolted to the bed floor, so I'm thinking about doing the same with the bottom edges on the sides.
My ultimate goal would be to find a bedliner that fits the shortbed fleet well. I would like one that tucks under the rails for the "cleanest" look. I've seen a few installed... but I've never seen one that looks quite right. There always seems to be some sort of snag with the front panel, because there isn't a lip to tuck the bedliner under. I guess if all else fails, I could buy some sheet stock and fabricate a lip panel for the front and weld it on when I rermove the bed. I just need to find a bedliner that fits the best and trial fit it into the truck so that I know where I need to go with this project. Any input from you (and others) is greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!! TJ
(and a matching tailgate panel would be nice too)
1996 Chevy Silverado
Likes old Chevy trucks
Drinks Miller MGD
Old 06-12-2002, 11:19 AM   #7
john8746

Lightbulb Bed Liner

The floor in my 69 was pitted and dinged up I sand blasted it primed it painted it still look like s**t. Bedrug makes a rug that fits real nice and looks great
http://www.accmats.com/html/truckoptions.html Check it out does nice job
Old 06-12-2002, 11:32 AM   #8
johnnyp
Keepin' It Stock

I can't say for sure on the SWB, but the Pendaliner I put in my LWB fits great. It is made for the 73-up model chevy and is an under-the-rail type. It does lack about an inch from going to the top of the bed under the rails - so I guess the 67-72 beds may have been a little taller than the 73-up models. It came with a tailgate cover and it fits perfect. There is a slight lip on the front panel and if you fit the liner tight to the panel it shouldn't be a problem. I'm not too worried about water standing under the liner because I'm not planning on driving Maych in the rain if I can help it.

I've had a liner in my daily driver for 5 years and the bed looks just as good as it did before I put it in.

If your going to POR-15 on sandblasted bare metal be sure and apply their METAL-READY pre-primar or another zinc phosphate product first. POR-15 doesn't stick well to untreated bare metal.

Forget about "do it right the first time". Do it wrong the first time to learn how, then do it right the second time.
johnnyp is offline   Reply With Quote