The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-11-2010, 12:44 PM   #1
Hart_Rod

My side marker light fuel filler idea

I've been working off and on trying to figure out a cool, but fairly simple fuel filler modification for my under the bed gas tank. I've read a lot of threads on different ways to do this and have seen some really cool stuff that people have come up with, including in the bed, tail light and side marker light. While most the ones I have seen are very functional, most of them require modifications that involve cutting and welding on the bed. Since my truck is already painted and the bed has been linered, I gave myself some pretty tight parameters on what I wanted to create, such as:

1. It should be a fairly simple mod that most people could accomplish with minimal skill and tools.
2. It should be bolt on and use the existing holes.
3. Absolutely NO cutting, welding or drilling would be done on the bed.
4. It should not take away from the lines of the truck.
5. And lastly, it needed to be fairly cheap.

Well, here's what I came up with. I still have to do some fine tuning, but I'm very happy with how it's turning out. Once I go smooth with it, I'll probably do a write up on the install. What da ya think????

Parts:
Cabinet hinge (home depot part #H1068C-UC-C5)
Piece of 4" x 1 3/4" eighth inch steel (requires two 1" bends to form a "C")
super glue
side maker light
marine fuel filler cap - http://www.westmarine.com/ http://www.westmarine.com/whitecap--..._209_001_500**

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0331grunt
I like the idea. More pics? Info? Keep the ideas coming!!

I'll post more once I get it fine tuned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldblue1968chevy
do you have to do any kind of cutting to inside of bed.....willl gas pump fit in there even lol?

looks clean do a faq asap!

None, nope, nada, Zilch!! It fills up great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_al_71
Rob, that looks like a hinge from a kitchen cabinet, Is it?

Probably so. I was walking down an aisle at Home Depot and picked it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgaylord
Nice set-up, I like the requirements and I'm definitely interested. I too have been thinking about something along these lines. I like all the mods I have seen (in bed, tail light, stake pocket, and marker light). I have been leaning towards the stake pocket or marker light. Some of the tail light mods I have seen look like they need more rigidity or the light could open going down the road. I can't do the bed floor because like yours my bed has a liner. How flimsy is the marker light when you open it to add gas? Are you using a cap that does not need to be removed to fill the tank? I think you would almost have to.

It's not flimsy at all. It has a very strong spring coupled with an "over-center" mechanism, which spring loads the open and closed positions. They way my setup is designed, you have to glue in the screw for the front hole, but on the rear hole you have the option of gluing it in OR you can put the screw into it's original keeper. Either way, it's not coming open. Screwing it in the orignal keeper will also prevent anyone from messing with it. As far as the filler neck and cap, I'm using the boat filler gas cap that has a spring loaded "handle". It's tight, but very easy to take off and on. I don't think they make a gas cap like you are talking about that will fit down in the hole (there's only a little over 2" to work with). I added a picture of the cap I'm using.

Last edited by Hart_Rod; 04-09-2014 at 03:27 PM.
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote