The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-15-2011, 07:53 AM   #76
RootBeer 6117

Re: Project Lesson Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by txrdnek View Post
I just want to say that you are doing a fantastic job with those kids, I not only love that they get to work on a real project and all that is involved with planning and implementing the work, they also seem to be doing a bang up job. All my shop classes in high school only had to do was build fences around the ag barn, which was alright, but growing up on a farm, I couldn't stand building fences. Those kids should not only feel lucky they have a real project but be very proud of the work they are doing.

What seats are those you are using, I think I like them and would like to find a set myself. I also am working on a forty nine but mine is a 3/4 ton put on a extended cab s-10 frame. I like the look of the longer bed on these trucks. Even thought I've cut almost four inches out of it which from what I've read is about half way to the short beds. While I know money is tight, keep up the good work. I'll be watching this thread alot.
Thank you TXR,
I understand hating fence building I built my fair share, My punishment was cleaning hog lots in the summer. My dad taught ag they had a nice shop were he taught I got to mess around in it during the summer if I wasn't cleaning hog lots.
The seats are out of a 96 buick roadmaster as well as the engine, transmission,drive shaft, wiring harness. Money just got a little tighter My radiator money is going to a root canal today

Last edited by RootBeer 6117; 03-15-2011 at 07:55 AM.
RootBeer 6117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:45 AM   #77
daverod
SSN 706

My dentist lives in Mexico. Implants for 750 total. Crowns 150. I do need to head south soon, I'm starting to look like a hobo. Teeth are way over rated anyways. I wnat to put a lt in my truck but all those wires just plane scare me.

Last edited by daverod; 03-15-2011 at 09:53 AM.
daverod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:32 PM   #78
RootBeer 6117

Quote:
Originally Posted by daverod View Post
My dentist lives in Mexico. Implants for 750 total. Crowns 150. I do need to head south soon, I'm starting to look like a hobo. Teeth are way over rated anyways. I want to put a lt in my truck but all those wires just plane scare me.
Well it depends on how you look at it but I guess it wasn't as bad as I thought, the tooth couldn't be saved so they pulled it which was a lot cheaper, he mentioned an implant for 5000 I said no thanks I'll live with a hole in my head, its in the back so no one will notice.

The wires are scary I used to hate them, but learning how to read wiring diagrams takes a lot of the scary out of it. TBI motors are by far the easiest to work on.

You mention going to Mexico I have been watching border wars and another new one with the Texas rangers, I was in San Antonio in the summer of 2006 on a youth mission trip we were supposed to take a day trip into Mexico when they had a big shoot out and the sheriff and some deputies were killed in the town were we were going. Does all that stuff going on effect you border guy at all? Not going that day turned out good for a couple family we got to help other wise we would not have been able to help them.
Dave I see your in Idaho so that must be some trip to the dentist office.
I have been to Mexico a couple times its sad to see how the country is getting tore apart.

Joe(sorry I know this is off the subject)

Last edited by RootBeer 6117; 03-15-2011 at 02:44 PM.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:46 PM   #79
daverod
SSN 706

No great loss. After two or three head down south and get some new ones. Usally go to Yuma and cross there. I kinda think of it as a working vacation. Least you have money for or truck now. When you head south take or truck seat and have them recover it. Just picked up my s10 frame. My garage is getting full. Don't you have to reprogram all the computer stuff?

Last edited by daverod; 03-15-2011 at 02:49 PM.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:49 PM   #80
RootBeer 6117

Quote:
Just picked up my s10 frame. My garage is getting full. Don't you have to reprogram all the computer stuff?
I understand full I have a corner of the shop piled up with truck parts, I am running the engine on the factory computer for now at some point I will have to "flash" it. The local Chevy dealer has done them for me for $50 in the past(one of the benefits of the job)I will most likely have to send this one to somebody for about $100 but not till I am ready for the road. Up until 95 you could change a PROM or chip inside the PCM, 96 and later they are reprogrammed or flashed. There is a guy here in MO(missery) that has a good web site explaining more about LT1 swap.I think its LT1swap.com.
If us hillbillies from Mizzery can figger em out anybody can.
Joe
Old 04-13-2011, 05:15 PM   #81
daverod
SSN 706

Is'nt spring break over yet. We need updates. Get those tires on yet.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:11 PM   #82
RootBeer 6117

Quote:
Is'nt spring break over yet. We need updates. Get those tires on yet.
Yes sir spring break is over and senioritist is rampant, they had senior skip day I asked them to consider skip month, 6 more weeks for seniors 7 more weeks for me and I am ready its been a year.
I got the wheels on and put the bed on to get it mounted and discovered a problem, the tires set to far forward in the wheel opening. We lined the bed up and ended up moving the cab back an inch and up an inch in the rear.
My wire guys quit me(damn kids) but I have a couple newbies working on gauges and we might be close to make something work.
I been slacking on my camera duties I told the two auto body students I got helping on the bed I would get their pictures.

Joe
Old 04-29-2011, 07:54 PM   #83
RootBeer 6117

I haven't updated for a while its been busy,the end is near wooo hooo. After winter finally stopped we were able to get some work done. First get the bed mounted when we centred the bed on the new tire/wheel/axle we discovered a problem there was way to big a gap between the bed and cab, the cab was too far foreward#!@$!,gotta move the cab back a inch, if I would have only bought the blue prints!(suppers ready I'll be back)
Joe
Attached Images

Old 04-29-2011, 08:12 PM   #84
RootBeer 6117

Ok, so we move the cab back relocate all the bolts the start the bed /running board mounting. Download pictures of Jeff's51 and 62chevyII and dis-cuss at great length the mounting and getting it lined up.It seems like every thing was bent, front fenders, running boards, rear fenders,filler panels but we got it done. Not exactly like Jeff's they decided to make a change and I didn't have time to argue with them about it but it works
The first body work started, rebuild the running boards more dis-cussing.The Auto Body teacher decided cut out the centers that were rusted out and make new centers and glue them to the running boards with very little if any bondo.They turned out pretty good.
Attached Images

Old 04-29-2011, 08:24 PM   #85
RootBeer 6117

Re: Project: Lesson Plan

I have posted 2 other posts before this one today.
Now this week, I finally dropped $150 on a radiator and $60 on an adjustable propintioning valve.My AM Class has been working on the radiator mounts and PM(Brandon) has had some sucess with fabbing and hooking up gauges, more on that later. End of the year-itist has set in I am ready to get it over with.The shop has A/C so when it hits a 100 this summer I will probably spend some quailty time by my self with the truck.
Joe
Attached Images

Last edited by RootBeer 6117; 04-29-2011 at 08:45 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:49 PM   #86
txrdnek

Good to see ya'll back on track I was beginning to think you had given up when I started to see this post on the third page of this forum section, good job guys and gals if there are gals working on this project. Heres an idea for finals...make the truck 100% drivable by the last day of school. Get your wallet out rooty, I think they can do it. He he he
txrdnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 08:12 PM   #87
RootBeer 6117

txrednek
they would love that,unfortunately the powers that be won't let us do hands on finals it has to be on paper,something about grading on my opinion.That and I am done spending for a while its been a rough couple years and it doesn't look like its letting up any time soon.We had the engine running but we didn't have the truck braking, hopefully I can get some kind of brakes hooked up with out any more $$$
Joe
Old 05-27-2011, 01:27 PM   #88
RootBeer 6117

Today is the day that makes all the other 179 days worth it, THE LAST DAY!!
Its over for the summer, It has been a year I am ready to get it over with, it seems like I get more students with no work ethic every year.
I have been cheating on my truck, the Welding instructor and I have been working on a smoker for the last year, we had three week marathon to get it done,Thankfully its done,It stands 6'5" tall , 24"x24" by 4 ft cooking chamber,2" insulated walls all stainless steel outer shell. Its great I cooked 20 lbs ribs, 10 lbs of chicken, 5 lbs of salmon ,5 lbs of veggies and 3 lbs of beans for the teachers this week. Hopefully when it hits a 100 this summer in July I can do some work on my truck in the A/C shop.There are some things I am going to have to do my self I cant get them to see my vision.
Joe
Attached Images

Last edited by RootBeer 6117; 05-27-2011 at 01:28 PM.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:49 PM   #89
OrrieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by RootBeer 6117 View Post
Its over for the summer, It has been a year I am ready to get it over with, it seems like I get more students with no work ethic every year.
Sure has changed, you couldn't keep me and my buds out of the shops, we had a teacher that let us do independent study on Saturdays and during the summer, but that was in the 60's. We had to fund our own projects but we were not doing full restoration, just learning the basics. On the drafting side I usually had the semesters work completed in the first month and got to do independent stuff the rest of the time. Looks like next fall will be spent on bodywork and interior skill sets.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:42 AM   #90
RootBeer 6117

I have some videos on schooltube.com see if this work for you.We have had the engine wiring out and removed a bunch of it, Check out the 97 couch project.

http://bit.ly/uRphYx
Old 11-17-2011, 06:32 PM   #91
RootBeer 6117

Well I guess the link didnt work so I'll post pictures, we have been working on the wiper motor for 2 weeks, We took a motor off a 96 dodge caravan and took the drive out of the old vaccum wiper and welded togther a link for the arms, it eneded up shorter than the picture shows. We got it setting in the same spot as the old wiper and worked the last two days getting the motor to park with the wipers down and not bind.It was very frustrating to say the least but thats hot roddin.
This morning I had a car quest delivery,one of the older drivers is always asking me about the project and telling me about his 50's ford he is hotrodding.He walks in with my parts and a big box I didnt order and says here I want you to have this I ordered this 6 years ago and never used it, it was an after market wiper set up and billet arms. HOLY@##@,REALLY! Yep I don't need it I got mine working, I want you to use it.The ticket was in the bottom of the box, $466 I was speecheless, the two I had working on the wipers looked like they just met Santa.
I hope this is a sign that my luck is starting to change cause the last 3 yrs have been nothing but bad luck, WHOOO might have to play the lottery...
Attached Images

Last edited by RootBeer 6117; 11-17-2011 at 09:34 PM.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:16 PM   #92
RootBeer 6117

The one we did before Santa showed up
Attached Images

Old 11-18-2011, 12:59 PM   #93
1952ssr

That is TOTALLY AWESOME!!!!!!! Somewhere down the line you can pay it forward.
1952ssr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 01:55 PM   #94
OrrieG

I feel your pain and joy. The first electric wiper set up I did for my TF used a 64 truck motor. Had to make a mount and modify the arms as well. Getting the right geometry to park and wipe was a challenge as your guys found out. Did not have a welder at the time so the arms were spliced with conduit! In the 90's I found a GMC with factory motor and linkage and have used that.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 08:58 PM   #95
RootBeer 6117

Re: Project: Lesson Plan

Happy thanksgiving, 14 turkeys smoked and deep fried this week about 90 people fed, I am very thankfull for all I have and all my blessings and the people that make it possible for me to live in this great country.
Attached Images

Old 11-23-2011, 11:33 PM   #96
solidaxel

You have a big "family"
53 TuTone Extended Cab 350 4-Spd 3:08 (SOLD)
53 Chevy Moldy pearl green ZZ-4 4L60E 9" 3:25
55 GMC 1st Black Mll (ZZ4) ZZ6 TKO 600 5 sp 3:73
62 Solidaxle Corvette Roman Red (327
340hp 4spd 3:36) C4 & C5 suspension tube chassis
LS 3 4L70E
65 Corvette Coupe 327 350hp 4spd 4:11
78 Black Silverado SWB (350/350) 5.3 & 4L60E 3:42
2000 S-Type 3.0 (wife cruiser)
2003 GMC SCSB 5.3 4L60E 3:42
solidaxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 09:33 AM   #97
RootBeer 6117

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidaxel View Post
You have a big "family"
Its a big church family, I cook about 8 turkey every year for the dinner of thanks for my church,I have to be close to 100 turkeys cooked over the last few years.
Old 11-24-2011, 09:38 AM   #98
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Glad to see you back on her posting.

I love that smoker. Have been considering purchasing/building one myself.

Uh... what time are you serving leftovers?

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 06:38 PM   #99
RootBeer 6117

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72BlckButy View Post
Glad to see you back on her posting.

I love that smoker. Have been considering purchasing/building one myself.

Uh... what time are you serving leftovers?
Hey Nate
I haven't had to much news to report, at one point it was looking like I might have to sell this project.
A Buddy of yours bought my radiator that I bought for this project and soon realised it wouldn't work, Thankfully after 6 months he bought it,I am at the point I needed the radiator.He said he worked with you at one point,he had on a HAMB hat so we started talking about build forum's.
my left overs,umm well they went to my buddy Jimmy hes part of a house rehab project I could involved in and made good friends with the guy he has a way of giving you a better perspective on things.

But we are going to have a class party in a couple weeks so you might have to stop by.
The welding instructor and I built the smoker at Nichols Career Center.
I know the guys that build the spicewine iron works smokers,I looked at a lot of them and spent a lot of time reading BBQ forums before we built this one, Kenny(the instructor) wants to get into building them, he said he wouldnt build one that big again, I told him I had one shot at so I was going big not going home.

Last edited by RootBeer 6117; 11-24-2011 at 06:43 PM.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:58 PM   #100
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

I would love to build a smoker for our home; obviously not nearly that big, but definitely electric. Where did you source the heating element from?

Let me know when you have your get together at Nichols and I'll try to make it by.

Trying to think who might have picked up the radiator from you, as I have several buddies on the Hamb.

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote