The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-23-2014, 10:10 AM   #1
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

the posessed bitc.....

Feb ADRA race the starter solenoid gives up the ghost in the 3rd round of eliminations in Tucson. Cant get out of the staging lanes and on to the track. Just a whirring of the starter motor and no engagment to the ring gear.

So a fresh starter and I go to Race #4 yesterday at Firebird / Wild Horse/ Wildbird / wildTURD whatever they are going to call it. First time I've been on the track after fixing the damage left in the wake of Charlie Allen and I must say the TRACK was nice. As for the clean-up and improvements they were going to make to everthing..... Hey NICE scoreBoards. Everything else liooks exactly the same as it did 5 years ago. LIKE IT NEEDED FIXING FOR THE LAST 20 YEARS

But.. on with the saga of the devils motor

First time trial -0.008 r/t it must be just that I havn't had enough seat time this year but it sounded like it was revving HARD,, I grab the shifter and pull second... JUST as the dam SCS activates I pulled second,, the Cheeta finishes the stroke and pushes it into 3rd instead. Still ran 10.7 @ 119

Just between the 1000' cone and finish line I feel it lay over. Kinda remined me of my old nitrous days when it would go lean and burn the electrode out of a couple of plugs. Motor was 'quiet' otherwise,, no hammering no clacking no anything sounding ugly. SO. Get my time slip and idle back to the pit and then I can hear a slight valve noise and even through the mufflers I can hear at least one hole is cold. I just ran the valves before this race.. It's a rock solid Crower shaft rocker system,,, What The.....

Pull drivers side valve cover and #1 intake pushrod has escaped. GONE, vanished, disappeared!!!

Going to take my Borescope and see if I can recover the pieces. AFR heads give lots of room to fish stuff out of the valley 'through the head' (and the valley is screened so pieces are captured)

But it's like this posessed bit*ch just doesn't want to cut me a break!!!

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:02 AM   #2
cableguy0

Re: the posessed bitc.....

That sucks man. It seems like these cars always manage to get the wallet pulled wide open. Next thing you know the engine is on the stand and there is a new one sitting next to it. LOL.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 01:57 PM   #3
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

What are you referring to by SCS? I know the make slip shafts and stuff, is it some sort of air shifter?

Did you float the heck out of it and dump a rod and spring into the chamber?
It sounds like you fished it out and all was ok, no collateral damage?

I've seen plenty of bent pushrods, but never seen one completely eaten.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:40 PM   #4
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Br3 Yup, exactly, the SCS Cheeta shifter. Mine has a Dedenbear air ram for 3spd air shifts the Dedenbear CC3 box controls.

lousy shot of it...

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:34 PM   #5
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

oh alright cool. Used something similar on a drag bike years ago for the sequential upshifts.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:31 PM   #6
hotrod 80
mini truck racer

Same here got to Sealy / Lonestar motorsports park . Ran the gamblers race friday and got to 5 cars . Starter was slow acting . Saturday second time trial it dies . I get is started and now its hot . Starter is acting heat soaked . Second round after burnout it acts like its gonna die again . Not enough burnout . im .060 to his .009 he went through .004 in front of me backing up . Loaded up and went home . Time to tear into it now i guess . Almost ready to do a stock something .
1978 Chevy Luv Blue
1976 Chevy Luv Black
1979 Firebird Flooded in Harvey
1999 F350 Dually
2005 GMC Sierra 4.8 RCSB
2014 Explorer (wifes)

My build :http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=399148

Build #2: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=653583
hotrod 80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:40 PM   #7
Super73

Marv... Focus on the good.. You went 10.7x @ 119 on a bad pass. Keep telling you, there is a solid mid 10 second pass in that thing.

You sure you have enough spring pressure?
Do you have too steep of a rear gear?
1/4---10.38 @ 126.97----9.24 @ 142.49
Super73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:41 PM   #8
Super73

Marv... Focus on the good.. You went 10.7x @ 119 on a bad pass. Keep telling you, there is a solid mid 10 second pass in that thing.

You sure you have enough spring pressure?
Do you have too steep of a rear gear?
1/4---10.38 @ 126.97----9.24 @ 142.49
Super73 is offline   Reply With Quote