The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-16-2018, 03:55 PM   #1
Bluestep

Re: The Hawaiian Blue 1978 GMC.

The color matched bed liner looks very good.
I think that the bed rails must have been more popular in different areas of the country. I don't remember them on any pickups around here, but on the forums I see a lot of pickups that have them, many presumably since new. They do add a little sparkle.
Bluestep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 11:19 AM   #2
rollin thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestep View Post
The color matched bed liner looks very good.
I think that the bed rails must have been more popular in different areas of the country. I don't remember them on any pickups around here, but on the forums I see a lot of pickups that have them, many presumably since new. They do add a little sparkle.
Maybe further down south they are fairly common. Most of the trucks down here Have the rails. My uncle had an 88 or 89 Cheyenne that had a similar type rail.
2001 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71 4wd extended cab dd
rollin thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 06:37 PM   #3
HunterRotten

Hunter's 1978 GMC Build

So, we're way beyond another update. Last time I updated this thread we had just gotten the bed back and mounted onto the frame. My truck came together looking like a truck pretty darn quick, so I put the pressure on dad to help me get it running. I had ordered a mishimoto 4-core aluminum radiator made for the squarebody trucks from Summit last year on Black Friday and it has since been in a box. Mishimoto has a lifetime warranty, and if your griffin or whatever else ever craps out you will be money ahead with the mishimoto.

Like always, something doesn't fit right and once again we needed spacers. The radiator was sitting too low in the stock radiator mount and we ended up spacing it. If anyone needs the true measurement, I will get under there with some dial calipers.

HunterRotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 06:51 PM   #4
HunterRotten

Hunter's 1978 GMC Build

At this point, it was pretty much as simple as telling the sniper EFI's handheld information about my truck and turning the key. I was pretty excited, and I was hoping that with some luck we could drive the truck.

Here's what my truck sounded like on it's first time idling.

While it was awesome that my truck after 2 (or more) long years had rumbled to life, we were not able to get it into to gear. After some head scratching, dad figured out that the slave cylinder may have been too big. We did a free exchange to NOVAK(except for shipping....) for the smaller slave. The smaller slave greatly improved what we thought was the issue, which was that the measurement between the slave and the pedal were too great but.. it still wouldn't engage. Solution? Spacers on the external slave. It works now.

The OTHER problem discovered with the truck idling is that those gold crane rockers where touching the valve covers, which is not ideal. Can you guess the solution? SPACERS! Why? I really like the look of the stock valve covers. It ends up being gasket, spacer, gasket, valve cover. Not ideal, but it worked and it looks great. (..Yes, I'm leaking now and I will have to address that.)

Old 09-05-2018, 06:58 PM   #5
HunterRotten

Here's a picture of the trucks first outing, and of the boy ready to ride! I edited my house out for personal reasons, sorry I had to go and ruin such a great photo for everyone!

I should mention I pulled the truck up front the house and then it died, no juice. Didn't think too much of it right then...