The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-04-2008, 05:40 AM   #1
BurnoutNova

project: 67 LWB on the ultra-cheap

Now that the weather is getting nicer, i'm planning to start working on my 67 more often, so i guess I'll start a build thread. I dont plan on putting much money into this thing, mostly becasue I dont have much money and I'm still not finished with my K10, or my Nova (which I'll never finish anyway) I plan to use mostly leftover parts, or very cheap junkyard/ swapmeet/ used stuff.

So far all I've done to it is rebuild the rear end ( it had the spider gears welded up ) so that should be in good shape for quite a while. I used all new bearings and used the original ring and pinion, with a used open carrier setup. MUCH smoother to drive now. The rear brakes were all worn out, and the springs and hardware were taos and litterally fell apart when i took the drums off so i replaced all that stuff to. I almost forgot, it had a couple broken wheel studs so i replaced all the rear wheel studs and lug nuts. I also am putting some stock steel wheels back on it. I like the look of the slots it has now, but I just happen to have some stock steelies that are the exact same blue color, so Im goona put them on for a while.

heres the original thread i started when i was thinking of buying this truck http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=280300 I am gonna replace the waterpump with a stock short style one tomorow, and put all the factory style pulleys and brackets on. At the same time I'll put in a stock 4-core radiator that came from my big block cheyenne, and go thru and put on a new set of plug wires, plugs, dist cap and rotor.

heres a list of my near future plans:

-Fix the stock hacked up dash with an original color matched dash panel that I'm getting from Randy (Teeitup) and put a van AM/FM in
-Maybe? Put my 73 Blazer bucket seats and console in (if they dont sell on the parts board)
-Repaint the bumpers white, or maybe replace them with diffrent bumpers if i can find some cheap ones
-Put my manual throttle setup on and replace the dash bezel with a real nice original one
-Find a better drivers bedside, this one is toast
-Put the stock steel wheels and tires on, with 69 style hubcaps
-Maybe put my real nice rust free '70 clip in it, its alot better than the original, and rust free but I really like the 67 styling... any input on this one?
BurnoutNova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 05:45 AM   #2
BurnoutNova

Re: project: 67 LWB on the ultra-cheap

Oh, and I'll roughly try to keep track of how much (or hopefully little) I spend on this one.

Truck... $600
Rearend rebuild kit and grease...$125
Used carrier... free (i had it already)
Wheelstuds/rear brakes $35
Waterpump/ Tuneup... $98 bucks at Advance Auto
Wheels/ tires...Free but to get them all swapped around (mounted and dismounted, valvestems and balancing) $36
Old 05-04-2008, 05:58 AM   #3
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

Awesome! It sounds like you have about the same thing in mind as do with my beater project. I will definitely be keeping an eye on this build. Its nice to be able for once to have a project that I don't have to worry about being perfect. Pretty anything I do to mine will be an improvement! I have got hung up on projects in the past because I wouldn't do ____ until I did ____ and then since I'm already there I might as replace _____ also. I'm sure most all of us knows what that's like.

Here's my dirt cheap build:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=288990
'69 GMC C3500, dump truck, 351 V6, NP435
'84 M1009 CUCV Military Blazer

67 C-30 Turbodiesel build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=254096

My trucks
http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ediafilter=all

Member of the 1-Ton Club!
67_C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 06:03 AM   #4
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnoutNova View Post
-Maybe put my real nice rust free '70 clip in it, its alot better than the original, and rust free but I really like the 67 styling... any input on this one?
I'm think about going the other way on this. This front clip on my '69 is actually really nice. It has one small dent where the molding tapers to a point on the driver's side and both are very solid. I even have a decent '69 grill. Still yet, I'm considering putting a nice '68 clip I already have on it.

My trucks

Last edited by 67_C-30; 05-04-2008 at 06:03 AM.
Old 05-04-2008, 10:42 AM   #5
BurnoutNova

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67_C-30 View Post
I'm think about going the other way on this. This front clip on my '69 is actually really nice. It has one small dent where the molding tapers to a point on the driver's side and both are very solid. I even have a decent '69 grill. Still yet, I'm considering putting a nice '68 clip I already have on it.
I like the 67 front end ALOT, but the truck is a beater, and I just needed a TRUCK, so it doesnt have to look great, or even look good. I just need it to haul crushed rock for my driveway once in a while, and to make trips to menards, or to haul junk around. So really it is fine the way it is, but scince I have alot of leftover stuff I might as well tinker with it a little bit.

I've also been toying with the idea of leaving the slots, and doing about an afternoons worth of body work just to make it fairly decent and doing a satin black paint job with some scallops or stripes or somthing... kind of make a rat rod. But, just incase i want to sell it in a year or so I dont want to make it unapealling to someone just wanting a beater truck. So I might just leave the body alone, other than a new boxside and maybe the clip? I'll figure it out later.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:50 AM   #6
BurnoutNova

Well, on saturday I got the nex exaust manifold on, managed to break the dang starter solenoid becasue I didnt like the way the positive battery cable was routed. While i was in there, I figured I'd re-rout it and the + post on the solenoid broke right off. I also got my new spark plugs and wires on. The bracket I had for the alternator wasnt right, and thats all i really had left under the hood so maybe that will get done next weekend.

heres some pics of the old manifold, and the process of putting the new one on. I didnt get new pics of it all back together yet.
Attached Images

Old 05-07-2008, 01:53 AM   #7
BurnoutNova

Somehow the heater core started leaking, and I just now noticed it while i was looking around there on saturday. another thing for the list

I spent another $35 on the new starter solenoid, and I also found a really nice 67 fender and inner fender today at a junkyard for $40

So far I have about $975 in this thing, I think thats pretty good for a beater that runs good and will have some preety decent parts on it when I'm done
Old 05-07-2008, 07:32 AM   #8
Spray-Bomb
Texas Big Wig

Dude, leave that old paint on it it looks killer !!!!

Killer
Spray-Bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 07:39 AM   #9
BurnoutNova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spray-Bomb View Post
Dude, leave that old paint on it it looks killer !!!!
I probly will, but the drivers bedside is pretty bad, and I might have found a pretty decent 67 bed for $150 bucks, so it wont all match anyway.

I thought about trying to get some similar blue colored semi-gloss or satin paint, or maybe single stage and flatten it out and paint it with that. But Im not sure yet
Old 05-07-2008, 07:48 AM   #10
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

I've considered on of these two for project LEFTOVERS.

Hot Rod Flatz Baby Blue:

Hot Rod Flatz Powder Blue:

My trucks