The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-15-2008, 09:45 AM   #1
Retro68
Account Suspended

Thumbs up Steering bones connected to the leg bone leg bones connected to the rack bone. Pics

Well guys I was not sure this could be done but it works. After about 15 hours of planning, thinking through problems and designing mounting plates and bracing the 18" Ididit tilt column is in and is connected to the power steering rack. As it seems with modifications there is always a relationship to other working pieces that have to be considered as you build something. My brain is sizzled so I think I will go have a beer. Thanks for keeping up with my build. Have a great day!
Attached Images

Last edited by Retro68; 01-15-2008 at 05:55 PM.
Retro68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 09:53 AM   #2
Retro68
Account Suspended

Re: Steering bones connected to the leg bone leg bones connected to the rack bone. Pi

Rest of pictures
Attached Images

Old 01-15-2008, 10:04 AM   #3
Rokcrln

Re: Steering bones connected to the leg bone leg bones connected to the rack bone. Pi

That looks great! What was your reason for comming out so low with the column? Just for looks of a nice clean fire wall or was your front suspension and motor just too tight to make it work other wise? Oh ya we want more pic's, front suspension, engine, body .....

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 04:04 PM   #4
Retro68
Account Suspended

In answer to your question. My first object was to have nothing on or through the firewall. Well the shaft does go through the firewall but is in a not so noticible place. The truck has a Scotts Hot Rods IFS front suspension with a power rack and pinion. Most all 67-72 trucks at shows I have ever seen always have the brake booster and steering column in the stock location. I set out to build one of the nicest trucks and this was just part of the overall plan. Thanks for asking.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:02 PM   #5
Rokcrln

Do you have any pics of the booster mounted under the cab? Does it hang below the frame at all?
Thanks and it is good to see somthing well thought out.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 11:11 AM   #6
jkade

Looking good, I was thinking about running the same column in mine.
jkade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 01:25 AM   #7
baggednblown72
clever title here

do you know what the original application was for the rack and pinion was? i am looking to convert mine.
baggednblown72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 11:31 AM   #8
Retro68
Account Suspended

The rack and pinion is from a Mustang II. This lets you have Mustang II spindles and a choice of many wheel types for the truck.