The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-20-2008, 02:13 AM   #1
67hooptie

Project '67 Rust Bucket rebuild

Hello everyone, I am a new one here trying to come back from the dark side (Mopar) side. Well, I have acquired me a new project. It's a '67 Chevy short step side with the small back glass. The bed is in pretty good shape with the exception of the floor. The cab however, is pretty rough. It has a lot of rust around the doors and the bottom corners, the fenders could stand to be replaced as well as the doors themselves. The cab floor is in good shape except for where it meets the rockers. I think I will try and do the patch panels myself just to get the experience of doing the metal work. I have had a engine block sitting in the garage for the last several years ready to go. It's a .030" over 350 (two piece seal) that has already been clearence to make a 383. In the bedroom closet, I have a set of GMPP Bowtie angle port iron heads (64cc), Scat steel stroker crank, Scat 6" rods, Keith Black pistons that I am going to sell since they come out to 12.3:1 compression. More than I want for this truck. I am looking for around 10 to 10.5:1 compression. I will also go with a hydralic roller for the cam. Something with a good choppy idle. Not sure about the tranny yet. I would like to have a 6 speed out of a Camaro or something like that. Manuals are a lot more fun, but a good automatic with overdrive would be nice too. I would like to do a frame off restoration, but that will get expensive and also a five lug/disk brake conversion. I had the title transferred yesterday, but I am not going to do anything to the truck or buy anything for it until the title comes back free and clear and it is officially mine. Hot Rod 80 and I work together, so please don't hold that against me (LOL). While I am working on the project over the next several years, I still have something else to drive and enjoy. My other toy is a '69 Plymouth Road Runner convertible. It's pretty much stock original with a set of forged flat tops and a Comp XE-268-H cam. If you want to see all the rust, just click on the link. Hopefully it will work for the pictures. I'll also throw in a pic of the Road Runner. Thanks - 67hooptie

pic link: http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/i...0Chevy%20C-10/

Road Runner:

Last edited by 67hooptie; 06-20-2008 at 02:30 AM.
67hooptie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 08:51 AM   #2
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Re: Project '67 Rust Bucket rebuild

Again, welcome to the board! It looks like you have a great project to start with. Be sure to check out the parts board for any parts that you might need, maybe even a rust free '67 cab...

Good luck with the build, can't wait to see where this build goes!

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 09:11 PM   #3
67hooptie

Re: Project '67 Rust Bucket rebuild

The gas tank had a few holes rusted in it and was half full of some very old and stinkin' gas. I pulled the tank, Ford seat, and the carpet out last week to give the cab a chance to air out before putting it in the garage. The brakes are dragging on it so I guess the first order of business will be to get the brakes loosened up so I can roll it in and out of the garage. After the brakes are free and the truck rolls easily, where is the best place to start? I was thinking of pulling off the cab and bed to start with the frame and work my way to the rust repair. What do you guys think?. This is my first resto, so it may get interesting. I'll try and post pics here and there to keep everyone up to date. Hopefully someday it will a dark indego blue with a nice set of 15" wheels (no 20's for me) on it .Thanks - 67hooptie
1997 Chevrolet Z-71
2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer w/ V-8
67hooptie is offline   Reply With Quote