The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-28-2008, 09:05 AM   #51
ChevyDude

Re: 69 Fleetside, Build and Sell!

This, IMO is a junk thread. The people on this board Love and Cherish these trucks and are never going to jump on with you fixing something with improper material...ain't gonna happen! Just because they make "magic sticking putty" to hang a picture with (As seen on TV for $19.99, and if you buy now we'll throw in an extra tube) doesn't mean it's better than hammering in a nail or installing a screw to hang your picture. Same for fiberglass...just cause Eastman's sells it...you get my point. None of us would want our trucks fixed with fiberglass, period. On a positive note, I wish you the best... just wish you would see the light with this fiberglass idea. You are not fixing a rust issue when you use fiberglass...you are creating a future problem for the next owner.

1971 Lil' Red 350 SBC 700R4

Last edited by ChevyDude; 06-28-2008 at 09:27 AM.
ChevyDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 01:37 PM   #52
Kracin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyDude View Post
This, IMO is a junk thread. The people on this board Love and Cherish these trucks and are never going to jump on with you fixing something with improper material...ain't gonna happen! Just because they make "magic sticking putty" to hang a picture with (As seen on TV for $19.99, and if you buy now we'll throw in an extra tube) doesn't mean it's better than hammering in a nail or installing a screw to hang your picture. Same for fiberglass...just cause Eastman's sells it...you get my point. None of us would want our trucks fixed with fiberglass, period. On a positive note, I wish you the best... just wish you would see the light with this fiberglass idea. You are not fixing a rust issue when you use fiberglass...you are creating a future problem for the next owner.
thanks, and trust me, id rather do things the right way too, but its like i stated before, its about access to materials, and parts... no im not "certified" to weld, lol but that just tells the people at the auto port that i didnt go to a school for it, but i can weld whatever i need to, i fabricated the intercooler piping system for my other car.

oh and i just posted before that i bought the inner roof header panel where all that rust was at and i probably dont need to look at using fiberglass for anything (that was the only spot i was even considering it), since i found out that they sold that (thank you to the forum member who pointed me towards that piece in LMC), and since itll be one of the last repairs since i have to take out the windshield and park the truck for a while to do, i hope i can figure out the welding situation where im at in time to get it done right.

Last edited by Kracin; 06-28-2008 at 01:58 PM.
Kracin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 01:44 PM   #53
70LonghornCST

Just do your best and the main thing is make sure you have fun doing it. Good luck with it.
1970 Chevy Longhorn
  • Bucket Seats
  • Shoulder Belts
  • Front Tow Hooks
  • Factory Air
  • Factory Speedwarning, Tach & Vaccum
  • Factory Tilt
  • CST Package
  • AM/FM Radio
  • Bumper Guards
Richard

70 Longhorn CST Build

Adding an AM/FM Decal
70LonghornCST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 02:29 PM   #54
Billla
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselarmy13 View Post
Well put. Luckily I make all my young troops take me with them anytime they buy a vehicle.
I sure appreciate it - my stepson just signed up and he's shipping out in two weeks! He's getting a good signing bonus, and I'd hate to see him get screwed with that money burning a hole in his pocket. I'm trying to convince him to set aside 1/2...but you know hat well that goes over

Hopefully his "boss" will understand that as well as you do and help him make the right decisions too.
Billla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 02:33 PM   #55
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracin View Post
thanks, and trust me, id rather do things the right way too, but its like i stated before, its about access to materials, and parts... no im not "certified" to weld, lol but that just tells the people at the auto port that i didnt go to a school for it, but i can weld whatever i need to, i fabricated the intercooler piping system for my other car.

oh and i just posted before that i bought the inner roof header panel where all that rust was at and i probably dont need to look at using fiberglass for anything (that was the only spot i was even considering it), since i found out that they sold that (thank you to the forum member who pointed me towards that piece in LMC), and since itll be one of the last repairs since i have to take out the windshield and park the truck for a while to do, i hope i can figure out the welding situation where im at in time to get it done right.
That's cool that you decided to go with metal patch repair on the roof. There's nothing wrong with fixing a car or truck for profit when its done right, and it sounds like you're now willing to take the steps to make sure it will be right. Good luck with your project, and I think you'll find the people on this site very helpful as long as they don't think you're trying to halfway rig something up just to put it off on someone else. As I said before, that's happened to most of us, and its obviously a sore subject.

I do have to say I question the sanity of man who would keep a Cressida and fix one of these trucks up nice only to sell it!!! -j/k
450 HP is stupid simple to get out of a SBC. C'mon man, ditch the ricer and keep the sweet truck!!! (I am only picking at you, so don't take offense!)
'69 GMC C3500, dump truck, 351 V6, NP435
'84 M1009 CUCV Military Blazer

67 C-30 Turbodiesel build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=254096

My trucks
http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ediafilter=all

Member of the 1-Ton Club!
67_C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 03:59 PM   #56
68chevy68

I was in the military and had access to the on base shop. I was allowed to weld all day long. You should see about getting certified or just sell the truck as is and let someone who actually wants to do it right do the work. Sounds to me like you just need to purchase a car that runs, drive it and forget this whole truck thing till you are a little more motivated to do the work. Where there is a will, there is a way. You could purchase a 400 dollar welder and take it to a friends house, plug it in, start the resto. If you don't have the motivation for that, sell it.
68chevy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 07:02 PM   #57
ChevyDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68chevy68 View Post
I was in the military and had access to the on base shop. I was allowed to weld all day long. You should see about getting certified or just sell the truck as is and let someone who actually wants to do it right do the work. Sounds to me like you just need to purchase a car that runs, drive it and forget this whole truck thing till you are a little more motivated to do the work. Where there is a will, there is a way. You could purchase a 400 dollar welder and take it to a friends house, plug it in, start the resto. If you don't have the motivation for that, sell it.
Exactly, Thats why I said this is a junk thread...complete waste of time doing things this way.

Old 06-28-2008, 11:12 PM   #58
Kracin

Quote:
wow, great advice, now i just need to drive around the suburbs of hawaii with a 12 pack, try to make a friend out of someone i dont know, and use their garage as my own... afraid it doesnt work like that here.

and using the word WAS is a good way to get things wrong, WAS is a term used when they didnt require things like certificates to weld and use cutting torches.

i havent in my life ever bought a car that ran and drove perfectly, the only way to own a car is to know as much as you can about it and bring it back to that perfect state it should be in, you save a boatload of money in the long run doing your own work, and it is more enjoyable knowing you did all the work or as much of it as you could

im just sorry there are so many people here that continue to make comments like "your thread is junk" and well, talking without knowing what the case is.

these certain people are the same kind of people that keep the younger crowd from wanting to get into classics or cars in general, ive met the type more than once, and im sorry this board has to deal with these guys, even if they feel like they contribute, i cant imagine what other posts chevydude has made about other peoples threads just because someone isnt doing things exactly the way he likes them done. (need i remind him a 4th time, that the only spot i planned on using fiberglass isnt going to need it anymore since i bought the metal replacement piece for it), problem is that hes still sore because i mentioned that i wanted to lower the truck, paint it black and orange, and sell it in the lemon lot (just a name, we all know its just a name!) on base after i finished with it.... to a kid.... oh and lets remember, people in the military... when they move, they move their car with them, and new people in the military, when they get to their station, need to buy a car, so its 90% more likely that a younger guy is gonna come look at the truck and i didnt want to put one in the lot that looked like his grandpa would drive it to the local show and shine 10 under the speed limit. it would be very easy to pick up all of the side mouldings, 4 pints of ice green paint and 2 pints of white and go to town making a two tone white and green resto style truck right?
Old 06-28-2008, 11:17 PM   #59
Kracin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67_C-30 View Post
That's cool that you decided to go with metal patch repair on the roof. There's nothing wrong with fixing a car or truck for profit when its done right, and it sounds like you're now willing to take the steps to make sure it will be right. Good luck with your project, and I think you'll find the people on this site very helpful as long as they don't think you're trying to halfway rig something up just to put it off on someone else. As I said before, that's happened to most of us, and its obviously a sore subject.

I do have to say I question the sanity of man who would keep a Cressida and fix one of these trucks up nice only to sell it!!! -j/k
450 HP is stupid simple to get out of a SBC. C'mon man, ditch the ricer and keep the sweet truck!!! (I am only picking at you, so don't take offense!)
thanks, i know how to do things right, and if i have the parts and tools, i dont take short cuts. and as i said before, when i do sell the truck ill gladly steer the guy toward the boards and he can continute getting help from the guys here that ARE helpful (cant say much for the ones that feel that the only posts they can make are insulting/negative comment posts) and ive already met a few, and maybe i can even get a forum member here to vouch for the truck and the work i do when he comes to visit the island for a family event here on the 29th.

lol trust me, i get picked on plenty, but i always get the last laugh with the cressy :P when your 4 door pulls 12.0 at the track on a bad day with 2.6 60fts, its easy to embarass people who mock you for having a louder than normal exhaust :P oh and i do plan on keeping a truck, but i want a 67-68 stepside, so i can wait til one pops up after i get off this rock.
Old 06-28-2008, 11:28 PM   #60
bad6772
Official Site Guitar Shredder

I have been watching his hoping you would see the light....And you have not so.............Do it RIGHT or DONT do it....PERIOD.................got any videos of the 12.0 4door......

Last edited by bad6772; 06-28-2008 at 11:28 PM.
bad6772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 11:33 PM   #61
Kracin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad6772 View Post
I have been watching his hoping you would see the light....And you have not so.............Do it RIGHT or DONT do it....PERIOD.................got any videos of the 12.0 4door......
ill be doing it, and posting progress pictures to settle some minds.

i have dyno vids from little ago and pictures from some shows, the last time i was able to run at a track was a couple years ago before i shipped it to the island (changes the setup since then), and they currently in the works to get a new track completed after the legislature votes on it soon.
Old 06-28-2008, 11:45 PM   #62
bad6772

You ll be doing it....WRONG........And not to stir the pot....But what the heck..Its guys like you that Take advantage of a unknowing person, And make them think they are getting something they are not....And its Guys like me and a a lot of others here that love these trucks and the art of doing something right..Plus we have to fix hack jobs (that is what your doing).....Further more i do see that you are new to this site.WELCOME TO THE BOARD..........IMO i would take some time to look the site over, Read the posts/threads and see the passion that all of us put in our trucks.....There are tons of threads that will show you the Right way to do something......Plain and simple....The way you are choosing to do this build shows a lot of your character to me anyways....I am sure you ll be up front and honest will the suspecting buyer....Just as sure as i am about he!! freezing over in the morning...........
Old 06-29-2008, 12:41 AM   #63
Kracin

Quote:
You ll be doing it....WRONG........And not to stir the pot....But what the heck..Its guys like you that Take advantage of a unknowing person, And make them think they are getting something they are not....And its Guys like me and a a lot of others here that love these trucks and the art of doing something right..Plus we have to fix hack jobs (that is what your doing).....Further more i do see that you are new to this site.WELCOME TO THE BOARD..........IMO i would take some time to look the site over, Read the posts/threads and see the passion that all of us put in our trucks.....There are tons of threads that will show you the Right way to do something......Plain and simple....The way you are choosing to do this build shows a lot of your character to me anyways....I am sure you ll be up front and honest will the suspecting buyer....Just as sure as i am about he!! freezing over in the morning...........
so answer whats wrong with this.... i buy the truck for 2000, fix the rust, put on 2000 in new parts, give it new paint and make it look good *obvious its not a full restoration if you look at the chassis anyway*, and sell it for 7000... thats taking advantage of someone??
Old 06-29-2008, 12:47 AM   #64
bad6772

YOU ARE NOT FIXING RUST>>>>>>>>>>>>NOT THE WAY TO DESCRIBED IT ANYWAYS>>> Fiber glass.....come one........
Old 06-29-2008, 12:54 AM   #65
Kracin

Quote:
YOU ARE NOT FIXING RUST>>>>>>>>>>>>NOT THE WAY TO DESCRIBED IT ANYWAYS>>> Fiber glass.....come one........
thanks for using caps, i can clearly see what your saying now

please read post #52 and respond... or dont, ill be doing more work on the truck tomorrow so ill be postin up some more pics of the bodywork so far.

if anyone has any suggestions as to the best way to repair the bed of the truck if its been dented badly, ill take suggestions, but didnt think there was any way to really repair a bed in real bad shape other than buying a replacement for 1000 off of lmc. or getting new material as a new bed as ive seen done before, thanks for any helpful posts in the future (for those that are still checking this, if not for the witty banter, but for the build itself! :P )
Old 06-29-2008, 01:08 AM   #66
bad6772

Just do it RIGHT.............Im done with this......
Old 06-29-2008, 01:39 AM   #67
Gorn

Kracin,
I started at a car lot in 1985 I have been going to auction and selling cars part time on and off ever since. This is a fan site not a business site. Posting here is probably a mistake. You do need to decide if you are doing this cause you love trucks or to make money.
I am not going to get into the whole metal vs. fiberglass repair but I would like to talk about the auto business. If you want to get into it to making money one of these older trucks is not the way to do it. How many hours do you think you will have in all that patching? Even if you patched it the quick way the prep for paint job on a 12K truck is 100s of hours. Simple fact is you will not make any real money on this truck. It’s going to 20-40 dollar you to death and at the end of 6 to 8 month you'll be lucky to break even with what you have in it. Old rusty anything’s are almost always loser the only exception are rare cars/trucks that are going to bring the big money.
But let’s say it worked like you hope and after 6-8 months of work you made 9K. That still a pretty sucky plan. You could fine a late model almost anything with a bad tranny for 3K Pull the tranny in one weekend take to a shop for rebuild clean the car up thru the week, reinstall the tranny the next weekend and sell car a few days later with 1500-2000 profit, same is true with comedic body damage. Do that twice a month and the end of your 6-8 months you will have a lot more money and a lot less headache and hours of labor.
Buying cars that are in good shape that have one major thing wrong with them is much better profit wise then any type of across the board restoration.
I know this is not going to change your mind about doing this it’s just something to think about.
My 67 Camaro
Gorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 01:47 AM   #68
Kracin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorn View Post
Kracin,
I started at a car lot in 1985 I have been going to auction and selling cars part time on and off ever since. This is a fan site not a business site. Posting here is probably a mistake. You do need to decide if you are doing this cause you love trucks or to make money.
I am not going to get into the whole metal vs. fiberglass repair but I would like to talk about the auto business. If you want to get into it to making money one of these older trucks is not the way to do it. How many hours do you think you will have in all that patching? Even if you patched it the quick way the prep for paint job on a 12K truck is 100s of hours. Simple fact is you will not make any real money on this truck. It’s going to 20-40 dollar you to death and at the end of 6 to 8 month you'll be lucky to break even with what you have in it. Old rusty anything’s are almost always loser the only exception are rare cars/trucks that are going to bring the big money.
But let’s say it worked like you hope and after 6-8 months of work you made 9K. That still a pretty sucky plan. You could fine a late model almost anything with a bad tranny for 3K Pull the tranny in one weekend take to a shop for rebuild clean the car up thru the week, reinstall the tranny the next weekend and sell car a few days later with 1500-2000 profit, same is true with comedic body damage. Do that twice a month and the end of your 6-8 months you will have a lot more money and a lot less headache and hours of labor.
Buying cars that are in good shape that have one major thing wrong with them is much better profit wise then any type of across the board restoration.
I know this is not going to change your mind about doing this it’s just something to think about.
i realise this as well, and recently bought a 93 jimmy for 1200 and resold for 3500 a week later since the guy was military and was leaving the island the next week and needed to sell it (easy to buy cars here since people cant take them with them most of the time).

but im doing this build because its a fun thing to do, and a way to pass time, and building cars is a hobby of mine, so im definately not in it for the money, and i posted earlier that even if i break even ill be happy with it, i never planned on keeping the truck either..

thanks for the insight though, but i already started doing exactly what your talkin about, craigslist works wonders for finding great deals
Old 06-29-2008, 02:01 AM   #69
semperfidoordie
Fix It Till It's Broke

Quote:
ANYTHING worth doing is worth doing RIGHT. nuf said. I was that military kid! I still have my 61 though....Not ready to start on it. I would have rather of had the truck the way it sits now and get the truck for a fair price. At least that way I could put my money to good use.
well put 68chevy

All I have to say is "I AM that military kid". If you're going to fix it the way you state I would suggest you do not advertise it as grade A quality work. Advertise it as what it is and sell it reasonably. I know if I was the person buying it I'd want straight facts so to me as long as you advertise the actual product and I, the buyer, knew that it wasn't all pristine new sheet metal and top of the line work I'd be fine with it. Not flaming just stating my view on the issue.
Blue Dragon: 72 K-10 SOLD!
The Tank 77 K-10 KIA

panhandler62: Just don't search for "trannys" no matter how hard yours shifts -- you just won't get what you are looking for.

I Made The Official So Cal Board Meet
semperfidoordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 10:06 AM   #70
ChevyDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracin View Post
craigslist works wonders for finding great deals
So with reading this, it made me think what kind of deal for trucks are on the Big Island...and in tooling through the CraigsList....I see someone is already hip to what's going on. Unbelieveable!

Last edited by ChevyDude; 06-30-2008 at 09:14 AM.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:46 AM   #71
bad6772

LOL..........thats awesome...........Edit : for the record it was not me ,although if i knew how or would thought of it first.........i would have done it .........

come on........

Last edited by bad6772; 06-29-2008 at 11:52 AM.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:20 PM   #72
berencam

Come on guys, if anything you can learn from this build as how NOT to do your truck. Your going to be able to see just how fiberglass looks when used for body work(im not being sarcastic). If he is really good at fiberglass it could turn out all right, but in the long run its going to look bad in a few years. As long as he tells the potential buyer that he used fiberglass to do some bodywork i dont see anything wrong with it. On a side note i would say that fiberglass is going to hold up just as good as bondo if not a bit worse, you really ought to look into getting a cheep welder. They are super easy to use and you will get a better product.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:33 PM   #73
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

Just for record, the guy said he had ordered a metal patch panel from LMC for the roof that he was going to weld it on instead of going with fiberglass...
'69 GMC C3500, dump truck, 351 V6, NP435
'84 M1009 CUCV Military Blazer

67 C-30 Turbodiesel build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=254096

My trucks
http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ediafilter=all

Member of the 1-Ton Club!
67_C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 12:47 PM   #74
Painter D

Wow, this is certainly a popular thread. I found the link in post #70 to be hilarious. Good luck posting on here (Kracin)
Painter D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 02:19 PM   #75
Kracin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69chevyshort View Post
Wow, this is certainly a popular thread. I found the link in post #70 to be hilarious. Good luck posting on here (Kracin)
thanks, i think ill need it when youve got people like chevydude posting to prevent anyone from getting past stage one of their ownership of any truck on the board right?

oh and that craigslist thing doesnt bother me at all... considering he didnt even post it in the right area more power to you though if it makes you feel like a man, but posting that isnt gonna make a different 2 months down the road when its hopefully looking better. all it does is show who the real immature people are here.

i would have said you were in your late 30's by your earlier posts, but seeing you post the craiglist ad, advertising that someone is trying to rip people off... just makes me thing your a damn 18 year old posting on his dads account (i know your not, but just think about the words)