The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-03-2010, 05:18 PM   #76
treveiger

Re: Road experiences with imports.

The 4cyl are a lot more money to build up and maintain than a old school V8 and you can never get the awesome sound the V8s putting out in a 4cyl. I have a friend that bought a 02 WRX and stock it wasnt much faster than my olds intrigue. One night we were just crusing and he was about to launch his car and wasnt paying attention and ending up burning his clutch pretty bad and even in daily driving it was still getting worse so he took it in to replace the clutch and flywheel(cant remember how much it cost but i know it wasnt cheap like these trucks)and decided to get a boost gadge on the car and they dyno tunned it to the most power the motor could handle and they told him to leave it and not mess with it, well long story short he was going to turn down the boost but ended up turning it up instead and blew the motor and so he took it in and they rebuilt the motor and put the cracked heads back on(they told him it wouldnt hurt anything) and sent him on his way well right after he got it fixed he did somthing(wont tell us what till this day)and ended up having his valves kiss his pistion soo he tryed to take it back to the people that rebuilt it but they went out of business so he had to take it to subaru and they tor it apart for $500 and told them they could use parts from his old block and the labor would be $2000 and he had no choice so he said ok and subaru still put the cracked heads back on because he couldnt afford new ones but after forever he finally got it back and was driving it and heard another noise so he decided to take it to another tuner shop that was a bunch of monkeys with wrenches. Well after several months taking to rebuild the motor he got it back without the boost gadge because they put his cracked heads on again and said it wouldnt hurt it if he was nice to it and after a while his turbo was getting weak so he got a bigger turbo and a custom built exhaust and then his injectors werent big enough to handle the turbo so he had to buy new injectors and he finally bought new heads for his car and put them on and dyno tunned his car again and now after all that hes pulling around 350whp and sense it sat for soo long the tranny seal went bad and he went to get it replaced they put it in wrong and it leaked out after a few days so he took it back and finally got everything fixed on it and sense then i havent heard anything else that went wrong with it lol probably i kept telling him he needed a american muscle. Long story i know but it proves you cant beat american muscle. He never told us how much it cost to fix the car but he said with as much money as he has into it he coulda bought a new STI for the same money .

Last edited by treveiger; 12-03-2010 at 05:23 PM.
treveiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 03:48 AM   #77
Mr. 250r

im a big v8 guy but i give credit where its due imports/tuners etc do have some nice cars coming back from hall street we came upon a skyline.... least to say we did lose the race and me and my friend raced an evo with his his ls2 gto and from a 30/40 roll cant remember it was was a little ahead thanks to awd and a quick spool but wasn't ahead long and then we got pulled over got a ticket for going to slow and then his evo tranny blew up while we cruised around in the goat no replacement for displacement =-p
Mr. 250r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 04:28 AM   #78
C-10 simplex
Account Suspended

NOTE: Fiat topolino is/was an import.
C-10 simplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 02:12 PM   #79
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Not trying to be a dick, but theres no replacement for punctuation and capital letters.
/grammar nazi

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 03:15 PM   #80
ripdog28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
Not trying to be a dick, but theres no replacement for punctuation and capital letters.
/grammar nazi
I may be taking some collag classes at 31 but this is not my Engrish clas,
462ci, forged crank, H-beam rods, 10.5-1 KB forged pistons, Dart Iron Eagle 308cc, Straub Cam, Comp Cams chrome moly full rollers, Weiand Team G, Prosystems 950, TH400/3500 Dalenzie stall, Currie 9+ Detroit Locker w/31spline axles.3.5/6in drop. My Build.
ripdog28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 04:14 PM   #81
C-10 simplex
Account Suspended

So, i'm just curious: If you see a guy at the track with an fiat altered he's ok?

Granted, i too am a little perplexed at the seemingly overwhelming gravitation towards hondas/other imports/small complex 4 cylinders etc. But there seems to be alot of "us" vs. "them" type mentality in the car community.

i'm just trying to get a grasp on the psychology of it all. This "divisional" type mentality extends to other facets of life----skateboarding, motorcycling, music etc.

Last edited by C-10 simplex; 12-06-2010 at 04:16 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:41 PM   #82
ripdog28

There was an experiment done by Muzafer Sherif in the early 1900's. He took two boy scout groups and put them into the same camp but kept them separate for two weeks. Then after they became united with their groups, he introduced the two. The end results was that Competition creates Conflict. This can be seen here and even in sports. I dare you to go to any Dodgers game in Cali and wear the opposing teams jersey. Dare you.
462ci, forged crank, H-beam rods, 10.5-1 KB forged pistons, Dart Iron Eagle 308cc, Straub Cam, Comp Cams chrome moly full rollers, Weiand Team G, Prosystems 950, TH400/3500 Dalenzie stall, Currie 9+ Detroit Locker w/31spline axles.3.5/6in drop. My Build.
ripdog28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 12:32 PM   #83
GMR-PERFORMANCE

Fair amount of WRK heavy worked engines on the bottle around here... they are damm fast and with all wheel they are hard to beat. Local car making 470 at the RW off the bottle... that little blue wrk flat out hauls the mail. I do not know what it turns in the 1/4 but the kid can drive. He lives by me so I see him all the time... I was messing with him in my Escalade 6.2 version all wheel.. I can get him for about 60 feet and then it is all over LOL.. not like I thought I had a chance but traction is what it is all about.. Saw a blown 468 poncho ( 69 grand prix) get his azz handed to him by a honda... he could not hook the power. Sad but true.. I miss my Cyclone that was a fun ride.
GMR-PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:10 AM   #84
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-10 simplex View Post
So, i'm just curious: If you see a guy at the track with an fiat altered he's ok?
sure...same would go for an Anglia.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:32 PM   #85
TopNotchSWB

Alright so check this out. I am a motorsports guy I love to do it all. From Imports, Muscle Car/Truck, Mud Racers, bikes and everything. A couple years back we built a street Civic that could cruise around and it make 829whp and ran 9.80s at its best on a stock GSR integra tranny c upgraded clutch and transmission handcuff. I got videos of it and check this one out it ran 9.9 on its first pass out. Take a look at the video at the 3:40-3:48 mark, it was a 636 BBC on spray SWB truck that was running all motor, steam rollers, glide, gutted etc etc etc. He got us off the line because of the torque but no one saw what was coming when our Honda hit 3rd gear.

Dyno Video on C16

Video of our Honda on Pinks Turbo Episode

Street Civic Coupe on an SC61, pump gas, built GSR stock cams, stock tranny and fuel system, made 510whp maxing out the fuel supply.

Our S10 AKA "Rat Poison II" running on spray and some on motor, its best was 9.01 on 10.5's
PS: That truck was on steam rollers, gutted, plexi windows, a Merlin block and so much spray it wasn't even funny, it made close to 1100 HP. Ours was a 421 SBC on 250 shot street on 10.5s full interior and small system.
Mustang ran 9.30s on 150 shot
http://s148.photobucket.com/albums/s...vslskiller.mp4

http://s148.photobucket.com/albums/s...t=488a974c.mp4

Bike goes 8's on spray 9.1 on motor

All and all I love it all and there is nothing like an built anything that makes good HP. Just don't under estimate the capability of an import. Now don't start to hate, I am showing both sides of the spectrum I just got to defend the imports a little bit because, well they have a little piece of my heart. But the rest is taken up by muscle.

Here is the last example
Chris Miller from NRG Tech

Not bad for wrong wheel drive huh?

Also this crazy AWD talon....he will run from a muslce car from dig
TopNotchSWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:34 PM   #86
C-10 simplex
Account Suspended

RE: Fiat topolinos, anglias, etc. which ARE imports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
sure...same would go for an Anglia.

Please explain why.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:47 PM   #87
onequickchevy

Most "old school" hot rodders prefer v 8 rear while drive. That's just the way it is. Anglia's and Topolino's are made acceptable by the stuffing of a large engine into a tiny package. Stock = Not Cool, Drag = Way Cool. Easy enough right? I am 100% old school, but I can respect anyone who actually puts in the work to make their cars faster, domestic or import. Fart cans, loud music, and wings the size of the Hoover Dam accomplish none of these. Even true " Tuners" despise the posers.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:23 AM   #88
dbmx66

i guess hondas and other ricers are cool if thats what your into, though id much rather take a rwd v8 that actually sounds decent. im not trying to be offensive either. just my opinion. each to his own.
dbmx66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 03:54 PM   #89
C-10 simplex
Account Suspended

i'm not trying to start an argument for fun---i'm just trying to understand human psycology (good luck with that.....) i feel theres too much segregation/divisionalism/ "us" vs. "them" in society going on. Everyone is guilty of this. Older people look down on younger people, dems vs. republicans etc.

1) i understand about traditionalism, however there was a honda civic on passtime tv show with small block chevy and made into rear drive. i'm sure he was still looked upon with scepticism and scorn.

i bet if you took the fiat body off and put say a subaru body on then the car and driver immediately gets ostracized by the "traditional hot rodder community." Exact same hardware, only the body has changed.

2) So, if a guy races a vega/monza he's alright. But if a guy races a cavalier/cobalt (these are direct decendents of the vega and for all practical purposes ARE today's vega) he is to be put in the "tuner" category looked upon with scorn, criticism and even ridicule?
Old 12-14-2010, 11:50 AM   #90
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-10 simplex View Post
RE: Fiat topolinos, anglias, etc. which ARE imports.

Please explain why.

An anglia is a Ford....I don't consider a Holden a true import either.

As for the Fiat etc, its not the same when talking about a car that has been tube-framed/stubbed and running a completely different drivetrain. Hell, there is a group here in WI running a rwd civic with v8 power....that ain't no import.

Old 12-15-2010, 01:00 AM   #91
bitchin85

i was hanging out with the local street racers one night in a parking lot getting ready to head down to the road we all race on.. soome kid in a riced out maxima was not too fond of my truck, and had noo problem telling him that. anyways, i finally got him to agree to actually race me, as we pulled out on to the main road, with cops everywhere, he wants to race there(instead of waiting till we get to the race road thats hidden..) i didnt want to for obvious reasons. well when i didnt race him there he flipped me off so i said screw it and when he took off, i caught up with him and went around him and i let off when i saw flashing lights behind me.. i thought i was screwed for sure.. he must not have seen the cop and kept going and the cop went right around me and pulled him over. i went by with a wave and a smile on my face and thats the last time ill race someone on that road

about a month ago a kid with a stock v6 camaro with rims and bass that his dad bought for him got his ass handed to him by my "old ugly redneck farm truck".. i was a good 2-3 cars in front of him at about 95 when i let off and tapped my brakes. he wend flying past me after i started slowing down.. then he went around telling people he beat me.. haha.. i made it very clear that a "loser-fly-by-'' is not a win haha

gotta love american muscle. people just forget that the "nos'' stickers and the body kit thats 3 diferent colors and falling off does NOT make your 4/6 banger family car faster..
Old 12-15-2010, 04:52 AM   #92
MalibuSSwagon

I have never thought of it as being imports vs domestics, its just car guys who have a clue vs guys who think they are awesome cuz their car makes noise. (or are slightly braindead) Tired of the imports are lame because ... thing.

I get hated on alot for my DD Honda because of the exhaust, I explain I did the cam and Prelude intake manifold, ya know actual improvements that cost way less than an ugly bodykit. Unbelievable the bad wrap because of F&F fanboys with Civics.

Last edited by MalibuSSwagon; 12-15-2010 at 04:52 AM.
MalibuSSwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 01:05 PM   #93
Bad70sbchevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuSSwagon View Post
I have never thought of it as being imports vs domestics, its just car guys who have a clue vs guys who think they are awesome cuz their car makes noise.
Guess its like the old sayin goes: make it fast or make it loud.
Bad70sbchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 01:17 PM   #94
treveiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuSSwagon View Post
I have never thought of it as being imports vs domestics, its just car guys who have a clue vs guys who think they are awesome cuz their car makes noise. (or are slightly braindead) Tired of the imports are lame because ... thing.

I get hated on alot for my DD Honda because of the exhaust, I explain I did the cam and Prelude intake manifold, ya know actual improvements that cost way less than an ugly bodykit. Unbelievable the bad wrap because of F&F fanboys with Civics.
I agree, now i wouldnt put a loud exhaust on a import because to me they just cant make the cool sound of a v8 and i dont think they sound cool at all but thats just my opinion. My friend has a 02wrx with a custom exhaust and the car is modded pretty good and that sounds alright but the money he put in that car to make it where its at today isnt worth it to me but thats just a matter of opinion and what you think its worth.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-15-2010, 01:19 PM   #95
GMR-PERFORMANCE

I build Harleys for a lving so the rice rocket bikes are not what you would my thing. However I think that if we put blinders on and say well if it is not USA made then it sucks we are the loser at the end.

There is so many cool things going on out there with custom engiens, body work, what ever.. It is a passion to customize our rides. Think group hug

I can look at something and say wow that is over the top and would never own it , however the amount of work to get there is what I look at.. Hell I can say that I think the guys with the air bagged truck on the ground are stupid.. well really it is not my thing but for some it is.. Different strokes for different folks.

Even so it is a ton of work to get "our" rides to the point where we want them.. I wish I had grafted in 350Z door handles on my truck.. well that is a import part cant do that.. ha ha Kinda like rat rod bikes same thing you use what you have, the brand name does not matter..

Look up a supra engine they make mad power and are way over built. Easy to make 650 hp on them with stock internals, Local guy has one, it is making 700 on the engine and over 1200 with the full spray.. with stock crank and rods!!!! Gotta give credit where credit is due. Would I own one... nope not a chance but I would still sit and watch one make a blistering 1/4 mile pass and smile about it..
GMR-PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:10 PM   #96
DubDubU

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMR-PERFORMANCE View Post
Look up a supra engine they make mad power and are way over built. Easy to make 650 hp on them with stock internals, Local guy has one, it is making 700 on the engine and over 1200 with the full spray.. with stock crank and rods!!!! Gotta give credit where credit is due. Would I own one... nope not a chance but I would still sit and watch one make a blistering 1/4 mile pass and smile about it..

google : Titan Scion
Old 12-16-2010, 03:30 AM   #97
darthwall

I have been v8 luv the majority of my life ive owned a couple hondas and mitsubishis I still have my first truck still restoring it 53000 original miles just sat at the airport all its life nice 68 steper. but I have an subaru legacy gt I will work on soon upgrades are alot more cash full exhaust 2k+ intercooler600+ computer upgrade 600+ but that will put a 3200lb car into the high 12s and still get 24 highway miles

Last edited by darthwall; 12-16-2010 at 03:31 AM.
darthwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:08 PM   #98
76kcfdeng

I was browsing the site and came across this thread. I have an EVO that runs pretty well, tuned and upgraded by me, no one else works on my cars. I have had hondas, fords, chevys, dodges, toyotas, nissans, datsuns. I have no brand loyalty, just get cars I like. I bag on ricers and stupid domestics, not legit cars.

I love the sound of a V8, I love the sound of my EVO. The EVO has the quietest free flowing exhaust I could get with no chrome tip. With over 300 hp to all 4 wheels and handling like a slot car its damn fun. I don't rev on anyone, if they want to run I usually oblige them unless its not safe. I know cars so I won't run Z06's, ZR1's, Audi R8's, Skylines, and a few others. It may not leave rubber but when launched right it will pull a very fast 60' while 2 wheel drives are going up in smoke. I am 49 and get some weird looks and comments when I am in the EVO, cracks me up.

Bottom line is there is always someone faster. Its all in good fun and the love of cars, trucks, bikes and speed.

Damn sexy I think, big wing and all. Its factory by the way.
[IMG][/IMG]

06 Lancer Evolution MR SE, stupid fast!
03 Ford f-250 crew cab, 6spd, diesel
56 ford f100 project

My build thread.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=426739
76kcfdeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:42 PM   #99
treveiger

Evos are pretty cool i have to admit, there was a guy here that had one that was pushing over 1000whp but it was always in the shop getting worked on because things kept breaking he also had a supra with over 1300whp but then he lost his money and had to get rid of them or at least thats what i heard happened...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-12-2011, 11:59 PM   #100
76kcfdeng

Its not real hard to make big power with the EVO but I drive it almost daily and I want it reliable. It is a ton of fun where its at now, I may add a cam ,injectors and fuel pump at some point. Could make close to 400 hp with that on stock turbo. The Supras can be insanely fast, the motors are pretty bulletproof at high power levels.

I want to get my C10 on the road so my moneys going too it right now.

06 Lancer Evolution MR SE, stupid fast!
03 Ford f-250 crew cab, 6spd, diesel
56 ford f100 project

My build thread.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=426739
76kcfdeng is offline   Reply With Quote