The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-25-2010, 12:44 AM   #1
cppursell

Engine swap questions/tips

Hey people!

My 350 in my '67 C10 got a bad oil leak (copper tube to oil pressure tube snapped) and I (believe I) damaged my bearings, necessitating acquiring a new engine. I just picked up a nice looking '65 327 block that's ready to go. I'll be putting on 283 heads that I bought. I'm just looking for tips since this is my first time doing an engine swap by myself.

I am specifically looking for advice on what basic tools I'll need. Assume I have nothing, not even a $30 wrench and socket set (which is all I have). I'm borrowing a hoist, and of course I have a jack.
Also if you have any other tips with doing a swap like this, I'll be glad to hear it!
Thanks a lot,
Christian
cppursell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 08:44 PM   #2
65Guy

Re: Engine swap questions/tips

First things first. Have a lot of patience. A second set of eyes and hands in a must if you are inexperiaced(sp). Floor jack and gloves. Lot of patience and go slow!!!!!
65Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 11:27 PM   #3
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: Engine swap questions/tips

I would suggest trying to find a fellow board member that is local to you that is willing to lend an experienced hand. Tackling something like this for the first time by yourself can be an expensive learning experience. One thing you can do to start is pickup a couple of books/manuals/DVD's on building a small block Chevy, and read them cover to cover a couple of times. You might also check out You Tube for some vids there on rebuilding engines. I know for me it often helps to actually see what's being explained versus reading it.

When you have specific questions, post them(pics always help) and there are a several guys here that are willing to help.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote