The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-05-2021, 07:52 AM   #14
wickedred

Re: Flat-Out Engineering front end?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyridin View Post
The rack seems to ride on the spindle centerline. Besides being able to find one easier, how is that going to make a difference with the engine placement? From what I am seeing, if you drop it down, you are going to get bumpsteer unless you start using heim joints as outer tie rods to space them down.

It really depends on the purpose of the truck I guess. I don't mind the harshness of hiem joints personally. I am building the truck to autocross and beat the crap out of. I will most likely setup my engine and trans on some type of temporary motor plate to make sure my engine placement suits me.

The rack how it is mounted it typical of the Corvette. it sits inline with the balancer of the engine. That alone will dictate the placement of the engine setback wise. I don't want to modify the firewall if I can keep from it.

Once I have the mock up engine and trans in place, I will get the crossmember fit on the wheel centerline and in the wheel well like I want it. Reworking the steering rack isn't something I am too worried about. There are plenty of options there.

It would have been cheaper to order a front suspension from NoLimit or Scotts Hotrods LOL...

1971 C10. Auto Cross/Pro Touring Build. Project : I am gonna go broke with this one.

1970 Chevy LWB 4x4. 355, 4spd, Dana 44 front, Dana 60 rear, 35x12.50 tires... STOLEN

I will put a Turbo on anything with an engine if the $$$ is right. Once upon a time....
wickedred is offline   Reply With Quote