The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-29-2021, 09:23 AM   #1076
SCOTI

Re: Project: Recycle

THIS JUST IN.......

Literally. The rebuilt column from 70shortfleet arrived yesterday & looks new. Les was very easy to work with & collaboration of parts ideas flowed easily.

I can say I was always comfortable throughout the process as questions about certain parts or methods were discussed so we were regularly on the same page on the process & progress. Communication & value was great. I definitely won't hesitate to reach out to him again for my RetroRod project if it ever restarts (starts?)

A few images as it arrived. Note how the packaging is reinforced w/wood & the column itself is locked in place. Very nice.....
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 10:05 AM   #1077
88Stanger

Goodness, that thing looks awesome! I have missed seeing your posts on the build.
John 3:16 - Saved me... God Bless
88Stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 10:28 AM   #1078
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Stanger View Post
Goodness, that thing looks awesome! I have missed seeing your posts on the build.
Sent this off for rebuild & worked on some other stuff while it was gone.

Full drivetrain in the '29 Tudor (built/balanced/cammed 4-banger; 4spd conversion; rebuild rear end). It's the full/legit patina ride that got the most attention.
4spd swap & rear end inspection for the '31 Coupe.
Full drivetrain re-fresh in the '30 Cabriolet (hone, re-gasket, & rattle can rebuilt 4-banger w/a better head; rebuilt 3spd, Mitchel OD unit, rebuilt rear end).

I helped w/the '31 Coupe motor re-fresh in Nov. 2020. The other two were non-running. Neither had been on the road for years. We started thrashing 2nd week of May. All 3 cars were running/driving on June 10th for a club touring event in East Texas/Longview area.
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 06-29-2021, 01:08 PM   #1079
aggie91
I'm just glad to be here!

Those last two pictures are at the Kilgore College Campus. I drive by that lot every day. Where you there for the meet? the 10th was a Thursday, so I would have been at work...Wish I could have come out to look them over!

1965 Chevy Stepside(Grandpa's Old Blue) and (July 2015 Shop Build!)(2020, the Saga Continues)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=372424

The LST Challenge:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7812257

Korbin's 1st Square: "Sunburn"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=418618

1985 GMC Sierra: "White Trash", Korbin's 2nd now...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632305

Henry - 1984 Chevrolet, Owen's 1st Square
aggie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 01:53 PM   #1080
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie91 View Post
Those last two pictures are at the Kilgore College Campus. I drive by that lot every day. Where you there for the meet? the 10th was a Thursday, so I would have been at work...Wish I could have come out to look them over!
Yes sir. We got discounted admission to the Oil Museum so we checked it out. The few times I've went out there I was never able to check out the museum. The Tour was Thursday - Saturday night. The 'Welcome Party' & ending event/dinner was @ www.wyldeacres.com event venue.

My buddies do these tours w/family & friends. This was my inaugural event

About 100 registrations/200 people signed up for this 58th Annual Texas Tour (60+ Model A's). It was different vs. what I'm used to as far as attending shows but it was a cool thing to participate in. I didn't care for the last minute thrash getting the Cabriolet going (it wasn't started until 11:15pm on 6/9/21. We were scheduled to depart @ around lunch time 6/10. No pressure. Wound up trailering the Cabby since it had a valvetrain noise on the fresh lifters but the other 2 drove the entire trip w/only the '29 experiencing 2 small issues that we overcame on the shoulder (1st one in Forney TX vapor lock issue; the 2nd/3rd stops were near Wills Point for a loose crank pulley).

The '31 Coupe just returned from another event in Colorado. The truck pulling it on a trailer broke down outside of Dalhart TX. He unloaded the Coupe & drove home to DFW some 450ish miles in a straight shot stopping only to refill gas & water. It's driven over 1k miles since 6/9/21.

The first two pics below were around 930pm Wed 6/9. We just got the rear end back in place so we could roll it outside & turn it around to stab the motor & trans.
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Last edited by SCOTI; 06-30-2021 at 09:50 AM.
Old 06-30-2021, 09:29 AM   #1081
88Stanger

Now that is cool! Love those old rides.... great looking ones... This is where our trucks came from... like a family tree of sorts... lol
John 3:16 - Saved me... God Bless
88Stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 07:44 AM   #1082
TA_C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
THIS JUST IN.......

Literally. The rebuilt column from 70shortfleet arrived yesterday & looks new. Les was very easy to work with & collaboration of parts ideas flowed easily.

I can say I was always comfortable throughout the process as questions about certain parts or methods were discussed so we were regularly on the same page on the process & progress. Communication & value was great. I definitely won't hesitate to reach out to him again for my RetroRod project if it ever restarts (starts?)

A few images as it arrived. Note how the packaging is reinforced w/wood & the column itself is locked in place. Very nice.....
I'm glad this worked out for you, I couldn't be more pleased with his work as well. I feel like this was one of those parts that was worth it more than I realized at the time. Glad to see Les is still at it.

"It's only money".
TA_C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 09:18 AM   #1083
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by TA_C10 View Post
I'm glad this worked out for you, I couldn't be more pleased with his work as well. I feel like this was one of those parts that was worth it more than I realized at the time. Glad to see Les is still at it.
He was very easy to work with. Asked the right questions & stated his thoughts so we could reach concise decisions. I'm still working on my other obligations but should be back on the truck by the beginning of August.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 01-20-2022, 11:58 PM   #1084
TA_C10

"It's only money".
Old 01-21-2022, 12:16 AM   #1085
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by TA_C10 View Post
It hasn't changed much. I walk by it daily so this I know

Haven't touched it. Chasing Model-A stuff for the next round of updates.... Front suspension/brake upgrade for the Malibu (acquiring/assembling the right parts).... Complete brake re-vamp on my OBS...

All that while trying to decide on the 64's wheel/tire options. The tires are now ~10yr old new tires . The fronts were pirated for my old 90/OBS several years ago & the old/new rears are no longer available in the size I have/want. With things taking so long to deliver after order, I've been trying to decide now & get some wheels in the works.

I have been cleaning up w/the intent of getting back on it soon. The shop is a mess w/the bed of the 64 as the 'EZ' storage receptacle.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 01-21-2022, 01:04 AM   #1086
TA_C10

LoL, EZ storage and my 10 yr old new tires. It's the kind of mess that your proud to have

Look forward to the model A updates as well as the c10.

"It's only money".
Old 01-21-2022, 10:37 AM   #1087
aggie91
I'm just glad to be here!

I think you and I are on a similar time line with our trucks, my rebuild started around the same time as this one...but I think mine is finally a bit closer to being road ready...

1965 Chevy Stepside(Grandpa's Old Blue) and (July 2015 Shop Build!)(2020, the Saga Continues)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=372424

The LST Challenge:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7812257

Korbin's 1st Square: "Sunburn"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=418618

1985 GMC Sierra: "White Trash", Korbin's 2nd now...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632305

Henry - 1984 Chevrolet, Owen's 1st Square
aggie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 12:58 PM   #1088
clemdaddy

Just signed on to your build... looks like a weekend of interesting reading. I could tell from a quick scan of page 1 that you were a builder worth following.
clemdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 10:07 AM   #1089
hewittca

I don't wander over to the 60-66 side of the forum very often, but I definitely should do so more often. I can't believe I missed this build! I love everything you are doing to this one. The stance mockup is what got me hooked on this one. I know it's been a while since the last update but hopefully this one is still on the list to finish.
-
C10 Concept/Development Photos: Master Thread
hewittca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 02:11 AM   #1090
SCOTI

Serious 'Thanks' for the props & kind words. I actually just visited w/the well known board member N2billet today to update each other on the status of our current projects/plans.

The '64 is still here & waiting. Been doing some car flipping to pay the hobby bills during '23. While the $$ helps get parts, your focus on the flips takes alot your free time.

We discussed making some time this Spring so hopefully it happens. We currently have my '30 Cabriolet in line for a new top; updating the drivetrain for a mid 80's full size patina Bronco (& then suspension rebuild/lift), then we're building a chassis for a '30 Tudor & I'm trying to finalize the layout on taller front wheel tubs for my G-body Malibu.

So the '64 is not forgotten.... just bumped down on the list.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 01-22-2024, 07:41 AM   #1091
hewittca

Sounds like you have a lot going on! I saw your Malibu earlier on in the thread. I definitely dig that one as well. I had a '80 back in the day. Sometimes I wish I still had it.
-
Old 01-22-2024, 12:42 PM   #1092
kev2809
low n' slo

wow, lot on your plate! and im struggling to work on just one lol

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__
,.,,,.,.,,.,|_O _______ O_]
kev2809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 07:38 PM   #1093
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by hewittca View Post
Sounds like you have a lot going on! I saw your Malibu earlier on in the thread. I definitely dig that one as well. I had a '80 back in the day. Sometimes I wish I still had it.
Sadly my '78 is farther apart than it already was as one of the flipper projects turned out to be worse than hoped.

I picked-up a non-running/non drivable '81 ElCamino Jan of '23. We tinkered around w/it & got it running so I proceeded to fix the drivability issues. One we had a fully functional vehicle the plan was to put it on the market. As we were completing some shop clean-up, I left it running in the P-lot to burn off some of the funk from it sitting >7yrs. After about 30mins of idling, we could hear a bottom end knock. No bueno letting it go for profit w/that known issue so it sat idle in the lot.

Fast forward, we continued work on the scheduled/customer Model-A project that was a complete drivetrain swap for a '30 Sedan (60° v6/4spd to a Pinto 2.0/C4 auto); rebuilt & lowered my '30 Cabriolet + brake swap (mechanical to hydraulic brakes), bought/flipped an '02 Suburban, head swap on my 5.3 equipped Envoy Denali, & a trip to Colorado mid June.... We were BUSY.

We struggled significantly w/the drivetrain swap on the '30 Sedan (supposed 'kit' that we had to significantly modify to make it work) so that ate up alot of our time. What should have been 5-6wks part-time/after hours of effort turned into a 13month project. We finally finished it up right around the week of Thanksgiving & returned focus to the other stuff sitting idle.

We decided direction was needed regarding the ElCo. We yanked the motor (305) just before Xmas & looked @ the bottom end. It was ugly. We were going to throw a backyard/down & dirty rebuild @ it but then chose another path.... We plucked the 52k mile 305/350 combo out of my Malibu & swapped it into the Elco. No worries that it would have any more issues that way & no additional expenses (parts purchases) either. We yanked the drivetrain out of the Malibu on a Sunday afternoon (after picking up a 6.0/4l80e that Sat AM) & had it swapped into the ElCo by the start of the 2nd half/Sunday Night Football game. We tinkered around a few nights that week & it was running/driving before the end of Thursday night. Had someone interested & it sold/he picked it up on Jan 2nd.

That following weekend we got another flipper repaired (bad shift linkage on a 5spd VW Jetta/Wolfsburg edition), I finished minor stuff on a car/flipper I bought for my dad & delivered it (DFW/TX to ATL/GA & back) & got my '99 (Spot) aligned/inspected + legal again the next week. Since then (last week), bought/flipped an '04 Tahoe & I bought a 2014 Mazda MX-5 (from the guy that bought the ElCo )......
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Last edited by SCOTI; 01-22-2024 at 07:47 PM.
Old 01-23-2024, 04:00 AM   #1094
Braunschweiger

You've been hard working, the Camino looks good, congratulations on the sale.
It's nice that you got the Model A on the road,
I've now found time to continue working on mine,
I'm currently replacing the roof wooden construction with steel in order to install the sliding ragtop

Greetings Harald

My 62 build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829782
Braunschweiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 10:10 AM   #1095
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunschweiger View Post
You've been hard working, the Camino looks good, congratulations on the sale.
It's nice that you got the Model A on the road,
I've now found time to continue working on mine,
I'm currently replacing the roof wooden construction with steel in order to install the sliding ragtop
Nice. I ultimately want a Coupe. I like the rareness of the Cabriolet but I'd like to do more mods & the Cabriolet is still mostly unmolested (everything done so far can easily be reversed). I'd like to go a little lower in the rear which requires cutting into the body. Coupes are more plentiful so that's the direction we'll go.

Not sure if a coupe will stay 4-banger or if I'll opt for a mid-50's hotrod vibe & utilize a newer V8 for the simplicity/power per dollar invested. The Cabriolet has the OE non-synchronized 3spd w/a Mitchell OD. It works well & allows you to go 65-70mph w/o much fuss but after enough miles I know a later 5spd would yield a much better driving experience.

I have an early 60's high-nickel content 350 block w/virgin bores that I bought from N2billet so it will likely be that sbc w/the NV3500 out of my old '90 (since it got a 5.3/4l60e swap).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 01-23-2024, 10:35 AM   #1096
Braunschweiger

Ford T170 RTS transmission from 1984-1987 would be what I'm looking for, it was installed in the F150 and probably also in the Broncos.
But it's not available here in Germany.
My coupe retains the 4Banger and also has its 3-speed transmission. The engine is currently being converted to bearing inserts and gets a few speed parts,
front axle from the 32er with drop spring and 16inch rims from the 35er.
At the beginning I wanted to ride without fenders, but now I like this drop fender style.
This one drove in the beach race on Rømø in Denmark last year, that's pretty much my style.
Attached Images

Greetings Harald

My 62 build thread
Old 01-23-2024, 01:07 PM   #1097
SCOTI

Quote:
Ford T170 RTS transmission from 1984-1987 would be what I'm looking for, it was installed in the F150 and probably also in the Broncos.
But it's not available here in Germany.
My coupe retains the 4Banger and also has its 3-speed transmission. The engine is currently being converted to bearing inserts and gets a few speed parts,
front axle from the 32er with drop spring and 16inch rims from the 35er.
At the beginning I wanted to ride without fenders, but now I like this drop fender style.
This one drove in the beach race on Rømø in Denmark last year, that's pretty much my style.
That look but lower for me

I have & was going to use a drilled '32 axle but went w/a 4" dropped/narrow unit instead w/the Posies dropped SuperSlide. Reversed the eyes on the main leaf for the rears & did 7-leafs.

The Ford 4spd (3spd + OD) are the common swap & what is used in all 3 of my buddy's family cars (31 Coupe; 30 Sedan, 29 Tudor). While very nice set-ups, the gear splits are outdated vs newer transmissions. This seems especially noticeable w/the 4-bangers when touring back roads w/hills. It was VERY obvious when we were in the Coupe driving from Breckenridge to Denver last June. Third was geared to low while 4th was too tall going up & down certain highway passes. The motor (inserted 4-banger) didn't like it @ all. I recall we used 7qts of oil for the trip from Dallas to Colorado (uphill) vs. <1qt for the drive back home (iron-butt drive back only stopping for fuel/water top-off/pee breaks). Now.... Add a Mitchell so you can split the gears & that 4spd would be an improvement. But now you have the more expensive 4spd + the cost of a Mitchell.

We got my Mitchell new but dusty & 2nd hand @ an estate sale. Last I looked, they were ~$3200. At the same sale, we purchased 18qty '35 16" spokes (got 3 good sets on them & extras for art deco or hose reels) & snagged 3qty '39 synchronized 3spds. Plan was to build one of those '39 trannys using the best ratios of what was available & putting the Mitchell behind it. But timing had us punt & just put the non-sync'd unit in to be able to drive (the $800 adapter kit to install the '39 trans is still sitting in the box waiting to be used).

Cool little rides but just as expensive as these trucks.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 01-23-2024, 04:14 PM   #1098
Braunschweiger

You've already experienced a lot with the Fords, I'm at the beginning,
but it's true, the transmission is the winner, I experienced that with my '68 Mustang, with the 5-speed, a new car.
The Mitchell would be great, but it's not accessible.
The 5-speed from an S10 would probably be the right way, but it is also very complex. Sorry for hijacking your thread.

Greetings Harald

My 62 build thread
Old 01-23-2024, 06:52 PM   #1099
SCOTI

Quote:
You've already experienced a lot with the Fords, I'm at the beginning,
but it's true, the transmission is the winner, I experienced that with my '68 Mustang, with the 5-speed, a new car.
The Mitchell would be great, but it's not accessible.
The 5-speed from an S10 would probably be the right way, but it is also very complex. Sorry for hijacking your thread.
No worries. Our cars & shared passion for the industry are why we're on these forums. We both share similar likes so it's relevant to me.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 01-24-2024, 08:19 AM   #1100
hewittca

All this Ford talk is cool and all, but I have a few questions that are back on topic!

What tire size are you running on that 15x10 wheel? And what wheel/tire will you run up front?

I'm thinking about putting a 10" wheel on the back of my truck and absolutely love the look of your setup. Problem is, I don't think it will fit with the stock rear in my '72. Wheel Vintiques only sells the 15x10 w/ a 4.5" backspace now. I am currently contemplating cutting up brand new wheels to change the backspace!
-