The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-18-2010, 01:01 PM   #26
creep
Registered Loser

Re: Where's the 3/4 ton love?

This is what it looks like now.
Attached Images

'63 GMC lwb, 383, th350, lays frame, genuine patina.
The Build Thread - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=374267
'88 Astro cargo bagged, shaved, phantom grille. *SOLD*
'50 Chevy 2 door sedan awaiting attention.
2014 Silverado Ext cab, 5.3, daily driver.
creep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 08:41 PM   #27
sodly

oem4me... you're my HERO! Now you just have to find some correct hubcaps and you'll be good to go. Or are those correct? I'm not an expert just yet. In any case, that is one sweet truck. Care to post any more photos of your way cool truck (of feel free to drop me some off-list, if you prefer)? I'd like to see more details. Is the drive train and everything else all-original? Very nice. Love the custom trim on your truck and the great patina.

I'm getting the impression that correct hubcaps are either really hard to find or not many people like them. You hardly ever see them. Is there a warehouse full of dog dish hubcaps somewhere? Where'd they all go?

Funny thing... I have a nearly identical truck but in the Ford flavor. Mine's a '66 F-100 Camper Special, all original w/ 47k miles. Looks like between you, me and jonzcustomshop we've pretty much got the market cornered on beige, eh? I only wish mine was a Chevy, too, but beggars can't be choosers. Wanna trade?

Last edited by sodly; 06-08-2011 at 10:59 AM.
sodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 08:51 PM   #28
sodly

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonzcustomshop View Post
I like this one too...
Agreed. I have that pic saved, too. I like the overall look of that truck even though it's not at stock ride height. I dig the fatigued paint and the grey, bare steel wheels. Even though it's low it still looks like a truck that could actually haul something. Very cool.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:50 PM   #29
70 shorty
Where's my beer?

There was dark green 63 3/4 ton with aftermarket wheels sitting outside of a body shop on my way home from work for a couple of months I used to drool on every day. It sat stock height and was stock othre than the wheels. I'd love to get my hands on that truck!
'08 Tahoe LTZ 4x4 155K
70 shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 03:56 AM   #30
oem4me

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodly View Post
Now you just have to find some correct hubcaps and you'll be good to go. Or are those correct? Is the drive train and everything else all-original? Very nice. Love the custom trim on your truck and the great patina.
When I got the truck in the late 90's it still wore the factory split wheels and original caps which were pretty much hash. Since I was using the truck regularly, and almost nobody would service tires on those stupid wheels, I tossed 'em out. I picked up some later 16's and the earliest caps that would fit. I also like the look better. Those original 3/4 ton 1962 caps just scream DORK.
The truck is all-orig with the exception of the trans and rear gears. The orig trans was wiped-out and the 4.56 rear end was useless, so I put an O.D. trans and a 4.10 gear in it. Now, I can actually talk to my passengers without yelling at them.

I'll dig up some more pics soon.

Last edited by oem4me; 11-19-2010 at 09:01 PM.
oem4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 05:05 PM   #31
DWitcher

Those hubcaps are 67 up correct? Im looking for caps for my 66 4x4 and those look good.
DWitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 12:24 AM   #32
factorystock

No, the hubcaps on the beige '62 are 1973 thru 1975 style( gold bowtie). These 70's style hubcaps do not match the classic '60's design. Its strange and sometimes funny how everyone likes the styling of the 60's Chevy trucks, but they don't like the styling of the factory hubcaps/stock wheels. The wheel covers are an integral part of the styling of the truck that was engineered, just like the fenders, hood and grills.When the original 3/4 ton rims are tossed, they soon discover ther original hubcaps will not attach to newer rims.And they also find out the character of the vehicle is altered with an incorrect hubcap and wheel combination. It's true some 3/4 tons came with split rims which are a pain to deal with, but 3/4 tons also came with one piece rims such as 17.5" or 19.5".Unfortunately,not many feel its worth the extra expense to find tires for these rims. They just find a set of very common 70's-80's wheels and end up with an incorrect look. I feel its also part of GM's fault for not offering a 16" one piece 8 lug wheel during the '60 thru '66 period, where both Ford and Dodge had these wheels available. IMO, the photos Sodly posted of the correct authentic 3/4 tons are priceless.
factorystock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 12:38 AM   #33
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

My 65 that I'm still looking for was a 1/2ton shortbed stepside.
I was building it to be the low - mean - trick truck that most like to do with that type of truck.
I bought me a 66 3/4 ton to satisfy my hunger for these trucks.
This one is staying a work truck - no, not a cruiser - but a truck for pulling and hauling.

I own a TRUCK

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035

Last edited by LostMy65; 11-20-2010 at 12:41 AM.
LostMy65 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 09:40 AM   #34
78 Chevyrado
Account Suspended

78 Chevyrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 12:56 PM   #35
oem4me

Found some more pics of the tan truck. The thing I really dig about this truck, besides the perfectly authentic patina, or original color scheme with blackwall tires, tinted windows, and side trim, is that this is one of the straightest trucks I have ever seen. Despite the obvious lack of pampering, there is hardly a ding in it. And not even a hint of what I call the "broken back" syndrome, which is so common in these old trucks. It's got the feeling sort of like an old man that could still kick your ass.

- Question: what's better for you guys that are interested, posting a million pics on this forum and hogging space, or providing a link to an independent photo hosting site? Thanks
Attached Images

Last edited by oem4me; 11-21-2010 at 01:51 PM.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:24 PM   #36
LostMy65

Actually,
if you have the img on another site, all you have to do is;
-> [img] link to pic goes here [img]
for the trailing [img] put; /img in between the brackets.
This way the pic is hosted off site, but we don't have to go off site to view it.
Posted via Mobile Device

66 C20 Service Truck:
Old 11-21-2010, 01:28 PM   #37
LostMy65

Quote this post, and you'll see what I mean.

My image is hosted at Tinypic.com

Posted via Mobile Device

66 C20 Service Truck:

Last edited by LostMy65; 11-21-2010 at 01:31 PM.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:45 PM   #38
DWitcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by factorystock View Post
No, the hubcaps on the beige '62 are 1973 thru 1975 style( gold bowtie). These 70's style hubcaps do not match the classic '60's design. Its strange and sometimes funny how everyone likes the styling of the 60's Chevy trucks, but they don't like the styling of the factory hubcaps/stock wheels. The wheel covers are an integral part of the styling of the truck that was engineered, just like the fenders, hood and grills.When the original 3/4 ton rims are tossed, they soon discover ther original hubcaps will not attach to newer rims.And they also find out the character of the vehicle is altered with an incorrect hubcap and wheel combination. It's true some 3/4 tons came with split rims which are a pain to deal with, but 3/4 tons also came with one piece rims such as 17.5" or 19.5".Unfortunately,not many feel its worth the extra expense to find tires for these rims. They just find a set of very common 70's-80's wheels and end up with an incorrect look. I feel its also part of GM's fault for not offering a 16" one piece 8 lug wheel during the '60 thru '66 period, where both Ford and Dodge had these wheels available. IMO, the photos Sodly posted of the correct authentic 3/4 tons are priceless.
I'm with ya on keeping it original. I've got 3 out of the 4 stock split rim wheels. I'm also looking for hub caps for a 4x4 so I'm kinda looking for a needle in a hay stack and thats why I guess I'll take what I can get. I have some mid 80's steel 16" 8 lug wheels and trying to keep it a stock theme.
DWitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 09:03 PM   #39
rideblue00

I have a 66 3/4 with 95 thou miles on it. Just got over the summer. I think it still has its original tires, not sure. But they have the pie crust edges. Split rims still. They are 1 small rock from oblivion. They are very dry rotted. No major cracks, but they hold air good so far. They have tubes in em still! lol I dont drive on rainy days so... I am still trying to find some tires like them with the pie crust edges. Im not finding any. May have to go to a newer rim and get some Coker tires.
Attached Images

rideblue00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 09:46 PM   #40
justcuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by oem4me View Post
Found some more pics of the tan truck. The thing I really dig about this truck, besides the perfectly authentic patina, or original color scheme with blackwall tires, tinted windows, and side trim, is that this is one of the straightest trucks I have ever seen. Despite the obvious lack of pampering, there is hardly a ding in it. And not even a hint of what I call the "broken back" syndrome, which is so common in these old trucks. It's got the feeling sort of like an old man that could still kick your ass.

- Question: what's better for you guys that are interested, posting a million pics on this forum and hogging space, or providing a link to an independent photo hosting site? Thanks
So you have a saginaw 3 spd with overdrive now and 4.10 gears? Did you swap out the rear end or just the drop out in the Eaton. I like the 60 through 62's because they had the torsion bar front ends, the ball joints on those front ends are beefy. The broken back syndrome you refer to, was that caused by the 3/4 ton rear cab mounts? I know the 3/4 tons had a different mount that was not as durable as the 1/2 ton rear cab mounts.

Rideblue00, my Mom lives over in Temperance, nice truck, you did not find that in Michigan did you?
justcuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 10:05 PM   #41
rideblue00

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcuz View Post
Rideblue00, my Mom lives over in Temperance, nice truck, you did not find that in Michigan did you?
Just west of toledo. Originally from Ohio like an hour south. Ur a long way from Temperance..lol
Old 11-22-2010, 10:07 PM   #42
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by oem4me View Post

My personal preference is to have the photos posted here, because many of the links I've tried to view externally require an account password, or some other tech problem that either blocks the images or makes viewing them inconvenient.

I always post my photos on here using Imageshack, just because it's the first one I used, it worked, and is free. I just upload the photo, grab the link and when that is posted in the thread the picture shows up. There's also a way to create a gallery here on the site and link to that, but since I had a means that worked I never bothered to learn the process. One of the features I really enjoy about this site is they allow direct posting of photos. Some other sites only allow the posting of a link, which prevents the convenience of scrolling through a large volume of photos quickly.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 10:15 PM   #43
LostMy65

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideblue00 View Post
I have a 66 3/4 with 95 thou miles on it. Just got over the summer. I think it still has its original tires, not sure. But they have the pie crust edges. Split rims still. They are 1 small rock from oblivion. They are very dry rotted. No major cracks, but they hold air good so far. They have tubes in em still! lol I dont drive on rainy days so... I am still trying to find some tires like them with the pie crust edges. Im not finding any. May have to go to a newer rim and get some Coker tires.
And it's a Big Window too!

66 C20 Service Truck:
Old 11-22-2010, 10:25 PM   #44
rideblue00

Yep its a big window. I have a small window 66 1/2T in pieces...for like 17 years now. When the guy that sold me this one, told me it ran, .....I BOUGHT IT ! lol I do like the big window!
Old 11-22-2010, 10:51 PM   #45
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Quote:
Yep its a big window. I have a small window 66 1/2T in pieces...for like 17 years now. When the guy that sold me this one, told me it ran, .....I BOUGHT IT ! lol I do like the big window!
That is a very cool truck. Do you have plans for it yet, or just glad it's yours? And do you want to keep the split rims, or prefer to get something more modern? I've heard a lot of shops won't service them any more. And what size tires does it currently have on it.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:13 PM   #46
rideblue00

My plans are to just drive it for now. Floorpan and fenders are shot. As far as split rims go, if i could find new tires for it i would keep them.Tire size is 7.00-16. I have no idea how that would translate to newer sizes. I read in the 63 shop manual about changing them, it doesnt seem too bad. We have a local shop that does farm equip tires and they can do it they say. But probably have to go modern. My biggest concern is brakes. I havent looked into buying shoes at all. Its got that big axel and drum in back.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:23 PM   #47
justcuz

Quote:
Just west of toledo. Originally from Ohio like an hour south. Ur a long way from Temperance..lol
Yep, born in Toledo, moved to California in 1964. My folks moved back in 1970 after I graduated high school. I stayed here, but I get back at least once a year. Mom is in Temperance, cousins in Toledo, Findlay, Jackson, Mi. and Chicago. Was just back there for 10 days last month. My little sis lives down in Tennessee just outside of Bristol. I'm the only left coaster. I'll retire this year and have been thinking about a move depending on what my kids do.
justcuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 01:09 AM   #48
factorystock

Great interior shot oem4me, looks like your truck has the optional "custom comfort" option.I especially like rideblue00 '66, it looks like true survivor. It would sure be nice if a company like Wheel Vintiques would manufacture a 16" one piece wheel with clips and proper offset that would allow '48 thru '68 Chevy 3/4 tons trucks to run a popular size tire and keep the original hubcap.Here is a shot of an all original '66 GMC 3/4 ton. Notice how hubcaps on stock 3/4 rims have a positive offset! Also, for those GMC owners who are interested in original details, the factory painted the center bar between hood scoopes black, so it looks like one large scoop between the turn signals.This details is always lost when repainted.
Attached Images

factorystock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 01:23 AM   #49
sodly

Very cool truck, rideblue00.
Old 11-23-2010, 02:22 AM   #50
oem4me

Quote:
Originally Posted by factorystock View Post
Here is a shot of an all original '66 GMC 3/4 ton. Notice how hubcaps on stock 3/4 rims have a positive offset!.
Ha ha... to quote myself, that's the part that "screams DORK". Now don't get bothered about it, because I actually agree with you regarding the originality aspect, no matter if I think it looks dorky or not... but the serviceability and safety issue is unavoidable. In my view, a show truck requires the correct set-up regardless of the hassle or cost involved. Not so for a user truck.