The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-12-2021, 06:49 PM   #1
LuckyDSquared

62 Steering wheel wiring

Hi all. Trying to get my ‘62 back together. I swapped out the 3-speed steering column with, what I believe is, a 72-ish column. I replace the turn signal switch and now I need to wire it back up. I bought an American Autowire adapter but still getting nothing. This brake lights seem to work but no turn signals. I’ve got no hot wires coming through the factory “pyramid-style” connector. The adapter comes with a flasher that needs 12V and is connected to the fuse box ignition. When I have ignition on, I get no operation what-so-ever. When I turn the hazards on, then the factory yellow wire and the left and right flasher wire (light and dark blue) also come hot but do not flash.

Does anyone have a good ‘62 wiring diagram or tell me what could be causing this? Isn’t the factory yellow wire supposed to have power from the fuse box? Is there a factory flasher module I can use and eliminate this adapter thing?

Thanks for the help.
Attached Images

LuckyDSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 08:47 PM   #2
LuckyDSquared

Re: 62 Steering wheel wiring

Okay…got power to the yellow wire…didn’t realize I needed to add the flash when I replaced the main harness…rookie mistake.

However, I think I got a faulty switch. The rear wire work properly, but both the front come on when you select either right or left turn…bad switch?
LuckyDSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 08:39 PM   #3
bhap

Re: 62 Steering wheel wiring

There are some wiring diagrams in the FAQ's that I would look through before changing the switch. The 62 has a single dash indicator light so if the harness taps into the wrong place, you may get left and right signals at the same time.
bhap is offline   Reply With Quote