The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > FAQ Truck Tech > 67-72

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 05:31 PM   #1
LockDoc
The Older Generation

1967-72 Chevrolet Pickup Lock & Key Information

I don't know how useful this information will be but I thought
I would post it just because I have the resources to do so.

1967-'72 Chevrolet Pickup Lock & Key Information

The 1967-'72 Chevy and GMC trucks used the same key for the ignition and doors from the factory.

The Lock Code Series is the number that is stamped into the locks
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1967: Lock Code Series: 0V00-9V99 & 0W00-9W99
Key: Groove 50, "A" Keyway, GM Key Blank # 320588

1968 : Lock Code Series: 0N00-9N99 & 0P00-9P99
Key: Groove 54, "C" Keyway, GM Key Blank # 320652 (Glove 55-D)

1969: Lock Code Series: 0J00-9J99 & 0K00-9K99
Key: Groove 56, "E" Keyway, GM Key Blank # 320652 (Glove 57-H)

1970: Lock Code Series: 0E00-9E99 & 0F00-9F99
Key: Groove 58, "J" Keyway, GM Key Blank # 320470 (Glove 59-K)

1971 : Lock Code Series: 0A00-9A99 & 0B00-9B99
Key: Groove 50, "A" Keyway, GM Key Blank # 320588

1972: Lock Code Series: 0N00-9N99 & 0P00-9P99
Key: Groove 54, "C" Keyway, GM Key Blank # 320652

The code number should be stamped on the door lock cylinder, (see pic below) sometimes one, sometimes both. The only time I have found one that didn't have the code stamped on it is when the lock had been replaced with a new one. Check the passenger door first. Generally the lock case will have to be cleaned very well to be able to see the code number. A small wire brush, steel wool, scotch bright, or sandpaper usually works well for this. I do not recommend a wire wheel because it will completely remove the code number if it is stamped lightly. The code number is always stamped into the lock case, never cast into it. Most locksmiths can cut a key from this code number. Home centers and hardware stores will not be able to do this. If the locks are original to the truck or were all replaced at the same time the key made from the code number on the door lock should fit the ignition switch & usually the glove box too (but not always).

Most people will know the following but some may not. The lock cylinders are held in the door by a spring clip inside the door. The spring clip has a tab that sticks up to have something to grab to remove and replace it. It just slides into grooves at the top & bottom of the lock cylinder but will many times be stuck because of dirt & rust. I recommend spraying a little penetrating oil on the clip to make it slide easier before trying to remove it. Small water pump pliers work good to remove it. I recommend wearing gloves to do this because it can be a knuckle buster. One thing I haven't mentioned is that the door locks are the same from side to side but the lock pawls (on the back of the locks) are different from side to side, there is a right and a left. I would do one side at a time so you don't get them mixed up.....

The short door lock assembly (approx. 1 3/8" overall length) from any GM product 1967-1989 should fit the '67-'72 Chevrolet pickup door by just changing the locking arm (technical name is "pawl") on the back of the lock.

Once you have a key made for the door lock here is how you remove the ignition lock cylinder:
Insert the key into the ignition and make sure it turns the ignition on & off. Turn it to the left as far as possible, insert a straightened large paper clip or similar size wire into the hole in face of the lock and GENTLY depress the spring loaded pin. Turn the lock further to left and it should come out. As you turn the lock further to the left you will have to remove the paper clip or wire or it will bind in the hole. Sometimes you have to wiggle the cylinder a little to get it out but you should never have to force anything to do this.

LockDoc
Attached Images

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 08-28-2018 at 11:02 AM.
Old 10-22-2006, 12:28 PM   #2
mrein3

Re: 1967-72 Chevrolet Pickup Lock & Key Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
The short door lock assembly (approx. 1 3/8" overall length) from any GM product 1967-1989 should fit the '67-'72 Chevrolet pickup door by just changing the locking arm (technical name is "pawl") on the back of the lock.

LockDoc
Good information!

I stumbled into this myself one day.
My truck came with locks in the door but no key.
I had a 1971 Monte Carlo that I junked out. I took the locks out because just about everything else fits my Chevelles. When I had a spare truck door I was painting I pulled yet another keyless lock out. While I had it out I grabbed the Monte lock off the shelf. A quick swap of the locking arm gave me a working lock with a key I had!

After 10 years I could finally lock my truck door.
Center City, MN
Closed Thread