The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-03-2022, 09:02 AM   #1
dennislbrooks

Neutral safety switch

Today I am fabricating a neutral safety switch for my 59 350TH, column shift aftermarket tilt. Mine will really only allow start in park since I am locating it down near the shift lever on the trans. I have been looking for a suitable exterior adjustable push switch like the 68 Camaro brake light switch with cruise (interior). The rear pins are open until compressed. Most of the 2 pin switches are open when compressed. If I use a switch like from a NP208 but with closed when compressed, it has little adjustment so the bracket would need to adjust instead.

I will conquer this situation.
Old 01-03-2022, 03:18 PM   #2
jwhotrod

Re: Neutral safety switch

Dakota digital has a neutral safety switch setup that mounts to the trans pan rail and will give you neutral safety, reverse and is adjustable. you drill a hole in the shift arm and it has a link rod that connects the rotary pot to the shift arm.
jwhotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 03:31 PM   #3
dennislbrooks

If you have the link to that switch, please give it to me. I could not find anything on the site. thanks

Is this it? Ebay

Dakota Digital Universal Sending Unit for Gear Shift Position Indicator GSS-3000
US $104.45

Being a low budget kinda guy.... if possible.
Attached Images

Last edited by dennislbrooks; 01-03-2022 at 04:10 PM. Reason: words
dennislbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 12:31 PM   #4
jwhotrod

https://www.dakotadigital.com/index....od/prd1222.htm

that is the link to their web site info, you can buy direct or thru yogisinc.com
probably speedway or summit. good luck.

Big Jim
Old 01-08-2022, 11:09 PM   #5
MiraclePieCo

AD trucks didn't come with neutral safety switches, so I didn't put one on mine. I figure I'm smart enough to make sure it's in neutral before hitting the key.
Old 01-09-2022, 01:36 PM   #6
jwhotrod

that maybe true if you still have a manual trans in your truck, but think about who else drives your truck, and where? I remember a friends truck that had no neutral safety switch in it, another friend jumped in hit the key and took out a grill in 36 ford behind him because it had got shutoff in reverse, we do this things because WE are the loose nut behind the wheel.
Old 01-09-2022, 04:46 PM   #7
mick53

Most sanctioning bodies in drag racing require a neutral safety switch at tech inspection. Almost everybody I know that is running a manual transmission has a bypass switch tucked away somewhere or an easy jumper point for push starting.
mick53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 02:49 AM   #8
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhotrod View Post
that maybe true if you still have a manual trans in your truck, but think about who else drives your truck, and where? I remember a friends truck that had no neutral safety switch in it, another friend jumped in hit the key and took out a grill in 36 ford behind him because it had got shutoff in reverse, we do this things because WE are the loose nut behind the wheel.
I'm a pilot and a gas tanker driver - both activities extremely unforgiving of mistakes. As such, I have little sympathy for dummies. I'm not going to contaminate my truck with a bunch of superfluous gizmos to accommodate the lowest common denominator. Stupidity should be painful; that way we learn and become smarter as a species. But if we accommodate the stupid among us, humanity will never learn, never progress. People are so stupid today that they have to be told not to eat Tide Pods, and yet they still do it. For most of the population, self-driving cars can't come soon enough.

Last edited by MiraclePieCo; 01-10-2022 at 03:05 AM.
MiraclePieCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 06:15 AM   #9
dennislbrooks

I put one on all my automatics. The 67 has a megashifter - 700R4 - and the neutral safety switch and reverse light switches are included. The 59 has no reverse lights. I started the 59 - 350TH - in my building without checking gear position and it backed up about 2-foot before I stopped it. 2 more feet and I would have hit the 10x18 insulated overhead door which was partially up. That would have been bad but luckier than some other situations.

Also as some of us get older some of us become looser cannons than others.

8-)

The bracket I fabricated and the switch I used seem to be pretty failsafe. I branched a male spade (unconnected and insulated) off of one of the females for a backup connection should it be needed. Yes I have to crawl under the car but that would be a lesson (rminder) in life also.

Stay safe.