The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-05-2022, 09:44 PM   #1
d4hartley

?? Gmc Project truck

Hello, New to this side of the forums. I'm used to the 67-72's but I am about to go pickup this project truck I have some questions about. Unsure on the year I'm still waiting on the vin but it's a chevy with a gmc front clip. It has a camaro subframe welded in, power steering, power disc brakes, rear gas tank, tach pod welded into the dash(don't have a picture), tilt steering column. and unknown 10 bolt rear end. As far as body goes door handles are removed, wing windows removed, rear fenders are widened 5 inches I think? both sides to fit the wide tires, and a roll pan welded in. Comes with a rebuilt 350/700r4 but no driveshaft. For 5k is it worth it to pick up and finish someone else's project? Is the camaro subframe to make it lower and power disc brakes and steering? Pretty much needs reassembling but it's close to drivable already. Thinking about swapping the 385 from my 72 and putting it in this to make use of the wide tires . Anything I should look for or does anything stick out to you? The pictures where it's more blue is what it looked like before.

d4hartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 11:34 AM   #2
Tempest67

Re: ?? Gmc Project truck

since you asked, .... what is your goal for this? .. and do you like what has been done so far? (tail gate, roll pan, wide fenders, door handles...etc)

My first concern would be the Camaro subframe? was it done properly?, if not, the vehicle will never drive well, and the project is worthless. (and not safe)....maybe why the project is for sale????

Be very careful, make a list of what is needed to make it roadworthy, and decide if this is something that you are willing to take on.

Remember, this project has stalled for a reason, and it is probably money.

Good Luck
Tempest67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 12:07 AM   #3
dsraven

Re: ?? Gmc Project truck

same notes for me with the added question of the front wheel centering in the wheel opening. that cant be changes so if you don't like it or the tires will rub when turning or when turning over bumpy road conditions then it is a lot of work to make it work. check the welds on the front end and also look at the rear axle mounts because these trucks came with a pivoting rear axle mount due to a differnt style of driveshaft configuration. check inside the rear fendrs at the back sides of those welds as well so you can see the quality of work done on the sheet metal. it is flat paint right now so you don't see bumps and humps well. what I do there is get them wet with some wax and grease remover-or water ifheletsnyou- then look at the light reflect off the shiny surfaces. look inside the doors to check how the handles were removed, look at how the front end sheet metal was cut off to check squareness, use a plumb bob and marks on the floor from the wheel centers and measure the wheelbase on each side.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote