The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-26-2016, 04:03 PM   #1
over40victimoffate

1970 c10 bagged value please??

I am considering buying this truck and I have been out of the market awhile. It is a 1970 c10 shortbed fleetside, bagged all four corners with 18" front wheels and 20" rear. I will include a few pics but he wants $15000. I was actually hoping to buy as an investment so I could drive a few months and resell. Is he in the ball park? Good running stock 350 and th350 drivetrain, painted a couple months ago and the wood bed is all new, new windshield. The gas tank has been relocated under the bed as well. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I hope i am in the write location for this thread. Thanks in advance.
Attached Images

over40victimoffate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 06:30 PM   #2
74baggedbug

Re: 1970 c10 bagged value please??

does it have a/c? Grill is ruff and painted.. Now way I'd pay 15k for that but that's just me
74baggedbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 06:34 PM   #3
over40victimoffate

No A/C. I noticed the grill as well. Thank you, I value your opinion.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:41 PM   #4
SCOTI

As mentioned, painting over a dented part is a huge RED flag to me personally. It doesn't necessarily mean other items are marginal but I would really scrutinize everything. I would also want to know what kind of air ride system it has to assess it's value toward the vehicle. There's a huge difference in value & quality between top of the line parts/manufacturers vs. Made in China (or hacked) crap.

Looks like a decent truck @ a glance.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 06:45 PM   #5
over40victimoffate

Here is some more info from the ad, it states the type of air bags etc.

Selling a really nice driver. Painted it a few months ago. Rockers, cab corners, floor all are pretty solid. 350\350, 5 lug. disk brakes, gas tank relocated under the bed, new, windshield,wood bed, carpet, speakers, light lens, & moldings. The truck has been C-notched, bagged on all four corners. Used E-Z Ride air bag kit. 18/20 boss 338 wheels in great shape.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:28 PM   #6
NC_John

Quote:
Originally Posted by over40victimoffate View Post
I am considering buying this truck and I have been out of the market awhile. It is a 1970 c10 shortbed fleetside, bagged all four corners with 18" front wheels and 20" rear. I will include a few pics but he wants $15000. I was actually hoping to buy as an investment so I could drive a few months and resell. Is he in the ball park? Good running stock 350 and th350 drivetrain, painted a couple months ago and the wood bed is all new, new windshield. The gas tank has been relocated under the bed as well. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I hope i am in the write location for this thread. Thanks in advance.
An investment? You'll be lucky if you can break even. 99.9% of the time a vehicle is a horrible investment.

Instagram (current build pictures) 70_nc_c10
NC_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:21 PM   #7
Overdriven

Dented up grill, I see some dents on the bed, side trim doesn't line up, can't tell if the hood is wavy or if it's the lighting. "Rockers, cab corners ect are pretty solid" isn't very promising. They're either solid, Rusty or rotted through. "Pretty solid" in an Internet ad usually means they need to be replaced because they're damn rusty and thin but not quite rotted through so we sprayed some undercoating on them to hide the rust. There's a few other things I see that indicate the build was rushed more than it should've been. These effect not only value but also how quickly you can sell, you're going to be waiting longer for a person who is willing to settle for a truck with these faults. And at that price those people are going to be few and far between as they're what's generally referred to as suckers.

From what I can see this truck was a quicky build by someone trying to make a profit. Cake decorator style like most of these reality tv car shows. Slap on an air ride, some wheels and seats in cheap clapped out ride. Paint is cheaper than replacing chrome so paint everything, surprised they didn't smooth out the bumps better though. Either that it was an amateur in his garage who just didn't know better and had it painted in hopes of dumping it quicker and for more $. Stop watching those reality car shows though. The only way they make $ on cars is by screwing people over and artificially raising car prices for the rest of us. Rare cars are investments when you don't drive them, everything else you need to get a good deal when you buy and dump $ into it to make any $ on it.

Last edited by Overdriven; 07-26-2016 at 08:42 PM.
Overdriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 09:42 PM   #8
ryanv70c10

15k, no way.... We're they going for a satin look or is that just a terrible paint job? Way too many flaws show up right away.

Paint over dents, hammered grill, panel misalignment, trim misalignment, the rear end looks like it's shifted forward a couple inches, interior chrome all painted black to save money, etc.

I wonder if they notched the frame correctly...

I can't stand it when people hack cars and try to get top dollar for them.

JMO
ryanv70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 09:46 PM   #9
SCOTI

Wow..... You guys are fairly strong in your wording. The truck might be a solid build. You don't know until inspecting it in person. It sure is easy to rip them apart on the NET w/o knowing for sure.

That being said, it prob should be probed a little deeper to verify the possible faults mentioned in the previous post.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 07-26-2016, 10:19 PM   #10
68shortwide

Can you get more shots of the console (I like the way it looks), or PM me the seller's number and I'll contact him? Its a decent truck from a few feet away but there's still a lot of work left to be a 15k truck. But that's just me.
1968 ShortWide
1969 ShortStep
68shortwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 10:27 PM   #11
71swb4x4

I don't see $15k at all. Large dent in the bed that's painted over. Grill too. And that's what they show in the pictures. What aren't they showing in the pictures?
Old 07-27-2016, 03:47 AM   #12
Overdriven

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Wow..... You guys are fairly strong in your wording. The truck might be a solid build. You don't know until inspecting it in person. It sure is easy to rip them apart on the NET w/o knowing for sure.

That being said, it prob should be probed a little deeper to verify the possible faults mentioned in the previous post.
I appreciate your pragmatism and you're right we shouldn't jump to conclusions. But even with the $6-8k (rough estimate) in parts that were mentioned and the installed parts we can see, the execution of the build automatically disqualifies the truck from its asking price. In my opinion the truck is worth the likely total investment of the current owner, $2-3k truck plus the parts, so about $10k. And for me that's assuming "pretty solid" means only light surface rust. If it needs rust repair and panel replacement then it's worth about what they have in it for parts. Btw that air ride is under $1500.

I bought my 67 earlier this year and looked at too many trucks like this, so I'm a little biased against them. Nothing worse to me than seeing a decent starting point for someone get snatched up by a "builder", slapped together and then them trying to sell it for a profit. More than once I missed out on a truck (and other vehicles) only to see it reappear a month or 2 later with a quick respray and other cheap to buy bolt on bits along with a price that included a $5k or more profit margin for themselves. No matter who built this particular truck or how well, in my mind it follows that same formula and it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Last edited by Overdriven; 07-27-2016 at 03:59 AM.
Overdriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 05:26 AM   #13
Grumpy old man

15 K ? Wheres the other truck that comes with it ? There are so many things done poorly that whatever $ they put in was wasted . Start adding up what it would cost to fix it and you may as well start from the beginning and do it all over again . 15 k ? no way .Definitely looks like a flipper build .

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 06:29 AM   #14
Ken B

A wise man once told me.. Son, this truck ain't for you, close your eyes and walk away....
Ken B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 07:53 AM   #15
over40victimoffate

Thanks to all that posted comments and concerns, I really appreciate it. I think I will walk away!!! LOL
Old 07-27-2016, 07:57 AM   #16
custom10nut

Mind boggling.
Here are a few questions for you.
Why would someone go through the effort of the new bed wood, rim/tire package, and the interior work, just to cover up the dents in the body and trim with new paint?
Who paints dents?
Not to sound mean or super critical, this guy had someone else do a lot of work, in his vision of "the perfect truck", and now wants to get all his money back.
I agree with all the responses above. Walk away from this one.
If you're hellbent on spending $15k on a truck, buy that "8400 mile K-10" in Cincinnati, a least there you'll get a solid truck, and not a cobble job covered up with shiney new paint.
"If you Gold Plate a cow pie and polish it up, in the end, you still just have a Cow Pie"

Last edited by custom10nut; 07-27-2016 at 07:59 AM. Reason: Spell check
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 11:58 AM   #17
over40victimoffate

I have made my decision to pass, thank you all for your input. I really appreciate it! Now, how do I delete or close this post?? Thanks
Old 07-27-2016, 12:02 PM   #18
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by over40victimoffate View Post
I have made my decision to pass, thank you all for your input. I really appreciate it! Now, how do I delete or close this post?? Thanks
You can't. Only moderators can....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG