The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-23-2023, 08:49 AM   #1
64stpside

Rear axle movment??

So i just found out on my 64 c10, with the rear wheels off the ground , I can grab the right rear tire and move it in and out about a half an inch or better. The whole wheel , drum, and axle are moving. Went to the left side and there's no movement. What's going on? There's no whining in the rear end when driving at all , no fluid leaks. Could it be a bad axle shaft bearing? The reason I asked that is that I just redid all the brakes on the truck and put new shoes on, and on that right rear ,I put a new drum on. When spinning the wheel to set the adjuster it free wheels until it gets to a certain spot and then you can feel it drag on the shoes. I'm wondering if the bearing is bad and is letting the axle drop down to the point where it makes the drum touch the shoes when I'm rotating the wheel.
64stpside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 04:50 PM   #2
Chevy nutcase

Re: Rear axle movment??

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64stpside View Post
So i just found out on my 64 c10, with the rear wheels off the ground , I can grab the right rear tire and move it in and out about a half an inch or better. The whole wheel , drum, and axle are moving. Went to the left side and there's no movement. What's going on? There's no whining in the rear end when driving at all , no fluid leaks. Could it be a bad axle shaft bearing? The reason I asked that is that I just redid all the brakes on the truck and put new shoes on, and on that right rear ,I put a new drum on. When spinning the wheel to set the adjuster it free wheels until it gets to a certain spot and then you can feel it drag on the shoes. I'm wondering if the bearing is bad and is letting the axle drop down to the point where it makes the drum touch the shoes when I'm rotating the wheel.
I've seen axles grind down the center pin in the spider carrier enough that the clip can fall out. The only reason you can't pull the axle out all the way is probably because of the e brake cable. This needs immediate attention. Take the cover off and have a peek
Chevy nutcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 10:41 PM   #3
64stpside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy nutcase View Post
I've seen axles grind down the center pin in the spider carrier enough that the clip can fall out. The only reason you can't pull the axle out all the way is probably because of the e brake cable. This needs immediate attention. Take the cover off and have a peek
I pulled the cover off tonight, and pulled the center pin out and it has light marks on the pin where the axle has been bumping it. The c-clip had some wear where it was riding back and forth in the slot on the axle where it goes into, but not bad. You could barely feel the ridge with your fingernail. I tried using my caliper to try to measure how much play the axle had in and out and best I can tell it's about a 1/16 in.

From the time i made this post, I've found that alot of folks say (even on forums of different vehicle manufacturers) that there is some acceptable in and out play with cclip differentials.

Oh, the ebrake cable have been long gone...lol. i need new ones.
Old 09-25-2023, 09:49 PM   #4
Chevy nutcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64stpside View Post
I pulled the cover off tonight, and pulled the center pin out and it has light marks on the pin where the axle has been bumping it. The c-clip had some wear where it was riding back and forth in the slot on the axle where it goes into, but not bad. You could barely feel the ridge with your fingernail. I tried using my caliper to try to measure how much play the axle had in and out and best I can tell it's about a 1/16 in.

From the time i made this post, I've found that alot of folks say (even on forums of different vehicle manufacturers) that there is some acceptable in and out play with cclip differentials.

Oh, the ebrake cable have been long gone...lol. i need new ones.
1/16 is perfectly fine and what you found in the diff says it all but 1/16 is a far cry from you original assessment of 1/2" end play
Chevy nutcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 11:25 AM   #5
64stpside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy nutcase View Post
1/16 is perfectly fine and what you found in the diff says it all but 1/16 is a far cry from you original assessment of 1/2" end play
Yeah i was pulling on the tire with very little light at night when i made my 1/2 in guess....lol.
Thanks for your help.