The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-16-2012, 09:57 AM   #1
Racie

Anybody running the 4L80e with a compushift set up?

Just wondering if anyone else is running this setup and how they like it? Feedback would be appreciated...
Racie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:32 PM   #2
trucks72
trucks72

Re: Anybody running the 4L80e with a compushift set up?

I am running one with a TCI setup. If that helps I can tell you what I think.
trucks72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:17 PM   #3
Average Joe

Do tell! ^^^^^
Average Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 03:08 PM   #4
ItsRandy

I can hardly wait. Tell me too please.
ItsRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:07 PM   #5
Racie

Quote:
Originally Posted by trucks72 View Post
I am running one with a TCI setup. If that helps I can tell you what I think.
Yes you can elaborate on the TCI unit as well I already have one (but need the TPS) sitting on the shelf used. I was thinking of goin with an all new compu-shift kit and be done with it though.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:13 PM   #6
Racie

BTW here's some info I got from a fellow member storm9c1...

Originally Posted by storm9c1
I use it and it works well. I got the complete harness and I had it wired up in a few hours. Finding a good mounting location for the box took some time too. I ended up mounting it on the side of the glove box so I can open the door and see the screen and/or access the menus. Otherwise, it remains hidden with the door closed. The simple LED screen is multifunctional. It can display gear (demanded and actual), temp, speed, etc. That screen is my favorite part of the controller as it gives me instant status (and some config options) at my fingertips. The installation instructions were easy to read. Almost too easy since it didn't explain the software as well as it explained the hardware. Follow the instructions carefully. Don't skip any steps, even if the step seems questionable (ie: it wants a dedicated ground wire).

As for the box, when you first hook it up and if it is communicating correctly, it will display "2 2". This alarmed me because I didn't know why it thought I was asking for 2nd gear and getting 2nd gear with the engine off. Turns out this is the default limp-home mode. Once the engine starts and line pressure is established, it will show the correct gear (selected and actual). Once I took my first test drive, I was immediately happy. Shifts were very crisp and firm but not harsh. Much better than any factory setup I've experienced. It took some fine tuning to get the shift points right for my heavy truck, but once dialed in, it's sweet.

What TPS system are you going with? If you have a Holley carb, use the Holley TPS. It works perfectly.

The programming software that comes with it (for use on a laptop) is a little clunky to install and use for the first time. The "wizard" is the easy part. Making custom changes is a little trickier. But once you get used to it, it works well. It comes with several "default" 4L80E configurations (or perhaps a better name is a template) that you can load to get started. This is not mentioned in the instructions. I just found them on disk.

I have used their Tech Support as well. They are very nice and knowledgeable to work with (like a mom and pop shop should be) but take about a week to get back to you through email sometimes.

My favorite feature of all is that it's made in the USA.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:14 PM   #7
trucks72
trucks72

Sorry for the delay in this response. I love mine. It can be adjusted in anyway you want to do it. You can go from feeling no shift at all to braking your neck shifts. It comes with its own hand held controller that tells you everything that is going on in the trans. The speed,what gear, the temp. and when the torque converter locks up. It also has a button hook up the go from everyday driving to performance. And you can change it all while driving down the road. I have 4.11 gears in my truck and going down the interstate at 75, it will tach 2200 rpms. It is the best money I have spent on a truck. It may be even better than fuel injection to me. If not it is a close 2nd.
trucks72 is offline   Reply With Quote