The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-06-2020, 02:29 AM   #11
cornerstone

Re: Dream shop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davischevy View Post
Get started on the pole barn, and I will be happy. Get a bid for a floor and report back please.
I haven't hired out any cement work in a long time. I know I won't pay what it costs for a contractor to do it so I won't waste their time for a bid. I do have some experience in slabs. Its back breaking but it's not rocket science. The most recent job was at my house. I poured and finished the road going down the hill to my barn in June 2017. That job was a 32 yard pour. My cost on that was a little over 5k. I built and set all the forms and rebar. It was a bear of a job and I had some crazy leg cramps but I saved a ton of cash.

I imagine the price per yard is higher now, but the amount I will need for the barn floor is only about 15 yards, so I'm hoping to come in at around 2500. It'll be a bonus that I'll be working in the shade since its covered.

One of my mentors used to say, do your best to estimate the cost and time needed, then double it to find out what it actually be. On many occasion this has been very close to what happens. Thankfully, I have just enough experience in this kind of work to do a decent enough job for me to be relatively close to the financial budget... but I still haven't managed the timeline worth a crap.

1972 C10, "Loyd", LWB to SWB, 5.3, L83/6L80e, 4:11 Tru Trac, Air Ride, VA, DD, 20" Coys, 4 wheel disc, A quick LS swap turned into a 6 year frame off resto-mod.

Last edited by cornerstone; 03-06-2020 at 10:12 AM.
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote