The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-09-2024, 04:25 PM   #1
1972CheyenneSuper

Non-Tilt Column Assembly/Disassembly Guide

I was trying to put the steering column back together for my truck that I had taken apart 15-16 years ago. My findings were inconclusive for a definitive step by step guide on reassembly. After a couple of hours searching here, trying to decipher the various assembly manual drawings, and in the end I ended up not finding much in the way of working on a non-tilt column. (Lot of love for the tilt columns though) While this is not a 100% everything guide, it should help the person sitting there with a pile of parts, or followed in reverse for the person that wants to make a pile of parts.

First things, if you don't want to assemble this whole unit and have to disassemble it twice, refer to post#4 in this thread and remove the lower retainers, and fully remove the inner tube and clean all paint and old grease from the area circled in red, as well as the internal mating surfaces of what I call the shifter cup, the piece that your shift lever will attach to with the drive pin. You'll see through out this guide that the area in question is painted, yes I did end up disassembling everything and doing it twice. This area is what is going to determine how nice your shifter feel is along with the lower retainer and spring assembly which should be cleaned thoroughly and lightly greased.

*NOTE* These areas should be lightly greased as well as any areas in which you can see needing lubrication. I didn't document each piece I greased, as grease and using a camera alternating back and forth isn't the easiest. If it's a contact surface of metal to metal and moves, it should probably be greased.

Install the firewall seal/boot, followed by the firewall retainer/bracket.

I installed my neutral safety switch at this time, can be done really whenever though.

Install the dash grommet

Install the metal washer first, followed by the nylon washer aligning the notch with the notch in the column.

Pass the turn signal switch harness through the turn signal lever cup and through the shifter cup. Be sure to clip the harness into the little wire management clips on the switch to help route it the proper area of the column. A bundle of wire will not allow everything to seat and you will risk damaging the harness. Slide the shifter cup onto the steering column and align the notch with the inner tube notch. Remember to remove all paint and old grease from these surfaces and lubricate them.

Attach turn signal cup to shifter cup, lining up opening notches to allow it to seat fully, then rotate turn signal cup clockwise to retain on outer column shaft notches.

Install nylon washer with rubber aligning with notches on column shaft.

Install upper bearing and bearing holder onto turn signal switch. Pack upper bearing with fresh grease.

Align hazard switch with hole and push in the hazard switch to help ease install. While also feeding the wire harness through the cups, continue to work the switch into the cup.

Align with the shifter cup and install the three retaining screws.

Pictures weren't taken past this point, but the rest is fairly explanatory. Install the wire cover and secure with the bend over tabs and the dash grommet. Install your turn signal lever and shift lever when you are ready. I'm keeping mine out until I'm mostly wrapped up with interior assembly. One less thing to catch and break.

Shift lever anti-rattle boot:

This is the only source for the small rubber boot that I have been able to find. Happened to stumble across it.

https://www.classicparts.com/1967-74...info/91%2D108/

Intermediate shaft boot:

I spent a couple of hours trying to track down one of these also.

1964-79 GM Steering Shaft Swivel Rubber Boot 1pc INL12240
https://www.inlinetube.com/products/inl12240

Hopefully this helps at least one person. If I missed a similar guide, please correct me but I searched high and low within my abilities.

Last edited by 1972CheyenneSuper; 02-10-2024 at 03:57 PM.
1972CheyenneSuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 01:16 PM   #2
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: Non-Tilt Column Assembly/Disassembly Guide

Nice job and good looking column. How about that insulator located behind the spring on the shift tube? I've read that has a retainer of some sort, but mine didn't have one.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 01:30 PM   #3
raggedjim

Is this the spring at the end of the steering shaft in the engine compartment?
Attached Images

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 03:11 PM   #4
1972CheyenneSuper

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedjim View Post
Is this the spring at the end of the steering shaft in the engine compartment?
Correct, goes between the large washer and the lower bearing. Part #13 in the below diagram.

I went out and dissected my parts column, as that is what I actually used to see how to put my painted column together, also discovered that I had lost the two upper washers in my column, so I borrowed them from this one. That's what really made me want to make this guide, because I had no idea where all of the pieces went.

Hopefully the below photos help with the assembly/disassembly of the lower portion and how to get the inner shift tube removed.

I didn't separate any of these components on my column, I brake cleaned all the old gunk off and gave it all some fresh grease.

Last edited by 1972CheyenneSuper; 02-10-2024 at 03:27 PM.
Old 02-10-2024, 03:29 PM   #5
1972CheyenneSuper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
Nice job and good looking column. How about that insulator located behind the spring on the shift tube? I've read that has a retainer of some sort, but mine didn't have one.
Thank you. I'm not sure which insulator you're referring to? I have added some pictures of the lower assembly disassembled that may help.
Old 02-10-2024, 04:41 PM   #6
pjmoreland

Quote:
I haven't noticed a retainer for the foam ring before. Seems fairly well trapped down there.
Attached Images

pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 12:30 PM   #7
HO455
Post Whore

Excellent write up! I wish I'd had it when I tore mine apart to fix the shifter.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 02:07 PM   #8
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972CheyenneSuper View Post
Thank you. I'm not sure which insulator you're referring to? I have added some pictures of the lower assembly disassembled that may help.
Here's one, I reinstalled it. I didn't have a clip though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmoreland View Post
I haven't noticed a retainer for the foam ring before. Seems fairly well trapped down there.
Thanks......Yeah, I don't know why a clip would be necessary.
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 02-11-2024 at 02:40 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 03:11 PM   #9
1972CheyenneSuper

Quote:
Here's one, I reinstalled it. I didn't have a clip though.
When I disassembled the lower section on the column I was rebuilding, mine had pretty much disintegrated into a dozen pieces. In my forum search travels it's main purpose seemed to be a debris seal. It may serve some sort of anti-rattle purpose, but with the shift tube kind of floating in the middle being supported at both ends, I didn't really know if it was doing much. Had I seen the one on this column was intact I may have grabbed it and thrown it in my other column. Time will tell if I need it I suppose if I develop an annoying rattle. Thanks for the additional information to add to this.